• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All Purpose Donkey Kong Thread

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i just wanted to let you know that you can vote for a character for smash Crusade
so far we have only Donkey Kong for a DK rep in that game and honestly any 2nd DK rep would be great to have there

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey everyone, remember Super Flygon's poll from the Dixie thread? Well she survived Round 1 and we're off to Round 2. Here's the link:
I must warn you though, she's up against Pauline from this bracket. We got a landslide last time but Pauline is likely to be a tougher challenge. Cranky Kong's losing to Mona at the moment.

Here's the thread that covers the polling:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It's worth noting that Hyle on DK Vine brought up the Seth Rogen Donkey Kong solo movie weeks ago, which leaves me more inclined to trust his repeated emphasis that Nintendo wants to really make the DK Brand prominent again.

I'm entirely neutral on this movie, but its very existence does leave me excited about the potential strong presence of the franchise's games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm not sure what to expect. A new movie could mean a new game is a certainty, but it could also be a substitute for one. Meaning there's no new game, but only this movie.

I'll just wait and see what this brings.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I just think it makes sense to have a stronger franchise presence on your video game console when a significant piece of that IP's media is released. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a game released at the same time, just titles already in existence to take advantage of the hypothetical interest that would emerge after a DK movie release.

At the absolute earliest it would release in 2024, and even by that time on paper, a mainline DKC release, a mobile game, and perhaps a spin-off (Diddy Kong Racing 2?) would all serve to be excellent tie-ins to the film, even if they were released in the two-three years prior.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Hey everyone, remember Super Flygon's poll from the Dixie thread? Well she survived Round 1 and we're off to Round 2. Here's the link:
I must warn you though, she's up against Pauline from this bracket. We got a landslide last time but Pauline is likely to be a tougher challenge. Cranky Kong's losing to Mona at the moment.

Here's the thread that covers the polling:
Voted for her!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey everyone, I want to share a pic I made.

I'm planning to do digital versions of my hand-drawn moveset from long ago, in addition to the random new ideas I post. The above is meant to be a Down Air; basically it scoops up whoever it hits and tosses them based on when they got swept up in the trajectory. Those at the start of the swing get thrown the furthest and those at the end will barely be thrown. Gotta keep enthusiasm for Dixie consistent in the off seasons lol.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Great concept! And I really like the shading/lighting a lot on that one too. You OK with me posting that or would you prefer to post it on your account for Twitter?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

DKC3's birthday is this Thursday, Nov 18! I will be posting a few DKC3 related things, though I will have to delay one thing in particular I was working on due to lack of time. But if you guys have art/music/thoughts/writing/merchandise/etc that is DKC 3 related, share it this Thursday for #DKC3Day.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Happy 25th to DKC3 everyone! It was 25 years ago that we last saw Wrinkly alive, and also haggled with the Brothers Bear, or got some interesting lore implications with the Banana Birds. It's also now 25 years since K. Rool has been a DKC antagonist, and most importantly, Kiddy's been buried for 25 years! Hopefully it stays that way lol, Chunky's cooler.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While I'll always have my aesthetic issues with DKC3 (too much brown & orange, Kiddy's design, hit & miss creativity with indoor settings) the gameplay itself really is ambitious and pretty much no 2D platformer could compete with it depth wise in the decade and half after until DKC Returns. I'll always be grateful that it got an inspired followup via YL & the Impossible Lair,

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Well I’ll be, DKC2 was acknowledged. It gets better too.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
GUYS and GIRLS! The often vulgar and usually NSFW Oney Plays is doing a Let's Play of DKC3. I haven't watched it yet but I'll leave a link to it if anyone's interested.
I like their playthroughs so hopefully this goes well. I won't embed it so I don't violate ToS.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Even just the Kremlings being casually mentioned by someone at Nintendo wouldn’t of flown some years ago. Something might be up.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Thanks for creating this thread.

[Next Smash idea]
Donkey Kong's special attacks
The future would be to redo the special attacks. The special attacks patchwork of any Fighter isn't enough any more, it would be necessary that each attack is optimized to reinforce the combos and the identity of the Fighter. It seems to me necessary that each special attack be synergistic and coherent with one or more Unique Ability. What are the new special attacks from unofficial games?
The grab and the throw of Donkey Kong are unique. His attacks should therefore facilitate the grab and throw: catch in the air, Immobilize instead of Bury (SideB), summon a barrel (aerial DownB), throw himself in melee using a directional barrel (UpB).

Newcomer: Kongs duo
Since Ultimate, the impossible becomes possible. So in addition to veterans I would be in favor of a duo that would be a mix between Ice Climbers and Pokémon Trainer. The interest of this duo would be to be aerial, with "cyclone" attack, teammate throwes, and to be able to switch between a heavy weight and a light weight. Does an unofficial game offer this?
4 possible pairs:
  • Donkey / Diddy
  • Funky / Cranky
  • Kiddy / Dixie
  • Arcade DK / DK Jr.

[Relaxing playlist]
The community of musicians who remake David Wise's music isn't big, but there are always new works. Here is a YouTube playlist to (re)discover good arrangements and remixes. The original tracks from DK Land 1 has a very high potency!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
In honour of it being Donkey Kong December...

...which Donkey Kong game should I play?

I haven't beaten DKC 3, DKC Returns, or Tropical Freeze yet, and while I've beaten DK64, it was a while ago, and I don't remember most of the game (I was stuck on the N64 coin for a really long time).

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'd go with DKC3. Given we just hit its 25th anniversary, and as someone who really rediscovered its merits in a recent playthrough, I'd recommend really experiencing some of the ambitions it went for.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
The Completionist did a vid on Diddy Kong Racing:
I can't help but feel like all the characters from DKR were planned to have their own series, or at least have one of them be the main character and another in a supporting role, like Banjo and Tiptup. Why didn't you just buy the rest of Rare, Nintendo? We were robbed of so many great games :(

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
You know that basically nothing would change if Nintendo bought Rare, right? We'd have Sea of Thieves on Switch; Nuts & Bolts on Wii; so on. Every single "mistep" [citation needed] Rare made was all on them, not the house of Gates.
I think there's some wiggle room here though. Usually Nintendo sends out one of their higher ups to evaluate the game as it's being made, and if they don't like how it's going they'll demand it be scrapped and start over from the drawing board. They're strict and perfectionists; I remember Miyamoto and Kensuke Tanabe being very hands on with Retro Studios, and there's interviews with employees saying that NoJ's suggestions steered the games' directions. They likely did the same with Next Level Games in Canada based on what we see from the Luigi's Mansion games and Punch Out Wii.

I don't think Rare would be much different when it comes to that. Nintendo was usually keeping an eye on their progress, and Starfox Adventures would still be Dinosaur Planet if Miyamoto hadn't suggested it become a Starfox game. Nintendo had a huge hand in how the games were made; Microsoft doesn't seem to have been as hands-on and strict as Nintendo was, especially not in the beginning; they didn't really know how to make good games back then and just counted on their newly bought studios to work their talent and make magic. From the outside looking in, Microsoft didn't seem to get harsher on Rare until they had a string of flops. By the time Nuts N Bolts came out, Viva Pinata was about the only good thing Rare made under Microsoft, while the other 4 games like Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Ghoulies, and Conker: Live and Reloaded kinda sucked. Plus Halo, GTA, and CoD made platformers look like a waste of money by the time Banjo came back around, so Microsoft was probably very skeptical.

If Rare was still with Nintendo, Ghoulies would probably have done better as a Luigi's Mansion ripoff and Kameo would likely had more going for it. PDZ would... probably have better quality control; I doubt Conker: Live and Reloaded would exist though but Viva Pinata would be a fun alternative to Animal Crossing; still successful and a pet sim with its own identity and such. Banjo likely wouldn't be a car-building game, as Nintendo was perfectly fine with platformers especially around 2008.

Nintendo would definitely have shaped these games' directions, if they even greenlit them in the first place but they would be pretty different from what we got. I could see a lot of Rare veterans leaving steadily because there's not much creative freedom, but whatever they would have pumped out in this hypothetical would have Nintendo making sure quality is upheld. Rare's not good without Nintendo and I don't blame Microsoft for that either.
I can't help but feel like all the characters from DKR were planned to have their own series, or at least have one of them be the main character and another in a supporting role, like Banjo and Tiptup. Why didn't you just buy the rest of Rare, Nintendo? We were robbed of so many great games :(
We probably would've got K. Rool and Banjo in Smash a lot sooner at the very least.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The genuinely strong advantage of Nintendo owning Rare (even with both their missteps) would have been more consistent direction and a more ideal audience for Rare's output. I'm not under any illusions that the Big N wouldn't have been too controlling with certain projects, but the combination of their directives and the safer market of their audience (especially in the Wii era) would have allowed a lot of Rare franchises momentum. Perhaps Nintendo doesn't allow an ambitious effort like Nuts & Bolts, yet maybe we get a full-blown Banjo Threeie because of their decisions. Do we get another Perfect Dark? Not necessarily, however, there may have been similar projects that Rare could have worked that magic on.

Moreover, I think their ownership of Rare could have helped avoid the gradual whittling down of different Nintendo games within the same genre that started taking hold in much of the Wii era. Maybe we still get non-Mario 3D platformers with more frequency, racing games outside the Mario Kart paradigm, and a flourishing of an extended universe spin-offs because there are characters like a Banjo/Kazooie or even a Conker for Nintendo/Rare to work with. It's not hard to imagine an alternate universe where the DK series specifically avoids its 2001-2009 identity crisis and thrives with focused titles on top of the more out there projects Rare could have worked on; a full blown Banjo/Kazooie & DK crossover platformer to name one example.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
As I recall, Nintendo letting Rare go happened around the beginning of Iwata's leadership, so if anyone's to blame for big N not buying Rare when they had the chance, it's him. I think if Yamauchi (not that he was perfect either) was still leading at the time of the pending Rare buyout, Nintendo would've more likely acquired them, but whose to say?

At least Activision didn't get Rare which would've been worse; luckily Microsoft got to Rare before them, and we got so much from MS eventually through current partnerships, including but not limited to Banjo in Smash. Just a shame that the Banjo games on Switch will be locked behind a yearly $50 paywall as opposed to something you can buy once for $20 or something. That's all Nintendo though; based on the earlier leak with Blast Corps and Banjo on Wii U Virtual Console, I'm inclined to believe they could've had Banjo on that (DK64 was on there after all despite the Jetpac thing Microsoft owned), but chose to save him for the N64 NSO. Wouldn't be surprised too if MS given their generosity offered for Rare Replay to be on Switch but Nintendo declined in favor of their NSO plans.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You know that basically nothing would change if Nintendo bought Rare, right? We'd have Sea of Thieves on Switch; Nuts & Bolts on Wii; so on. Every single "mistep" [citation needed] Rare made was all on them, not the house of Gates.
Doesn't mean too much, there would probably be a way bigger push from Nintendo to Rare to publish both Donkey Kong and Banjo games. Big chance that many of the old core Rare developers also wouldn't leave under Nintendo, or at least not nearly as much. That might result in Playtonic never becoming a thing. Everything related to Yooka Laylee therefore would be either Banjo, or Donkey Kong.

I'm just not sure why you wouldn't think this is the ideal timeline for the Donkey Kong franchise at the very least. DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze might never exist , or they'd be a conjoined effort of Nintendo, Rare and Retro Studios, which would result in a way more experienced team and of course way more of the Rare introduced cast of Kongs, enemies and Animal Buddies.

All I know is that I'd want a couple more Donkey Kong games from Rare that had their full effort behind it, DK64, and frankly even DKC3 just didn't have that. I love both games, but they didn't use their full experience on both games, DKC3 had less effort behind it cause the main Rare development team went on to their N64 projects, and DK64 is of course Banjo Kazooie in a Donkey Kong skin, but worse.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It's an interesting dilemma, is losing a masterpiece like Tropical Freeze (and to a lesser extent DKC Returns) worth it if we get more Rare created DKC titles than we actually did? We'll never really know, and given that the dynamic between them and Nintendo could have taken some different turns, while the quantity of Donkey Kong output is higher, quality/direction may have been a different story (though it is safe to assume they would have been polished titles).

Really though, while DK was adversely affected by the loss of Rare, I sometimes wonder if its franchises like Star Fox suffered even worse from their absence. Yes Adventures wasn't perfect, Namco did an effective job with Assault, and given Nintendo's treatment of it, perhaps SF is just doomed to never-ending experimentation. But this was a talented team that worked on a variety of genres, and a studio that did Jet Force Gemini and combat sections of Conker could have contributed something interesting to a Star Fox title with third-person shooter elements. Heck, imagine if Retro and Rare effectively traded franchises and after MP3, the creators of Goldeneye/Perfect Dark took on Metroid?

Lastly, I do have to admit, it would have been cool to have Battletoads and Killer Instinct formally under the Nintendo umbrella. Especially given that the Big N lacks a beat em' up franchise (outside parts of Kirby) the former could have filled that niche, and KI could have acted as a traditional 2D Fighter that would have fulfilled fans outside the Smash paradigm.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
And, would Star Fox Adventures have been finished and polished were it not for the buyout? It came out a day before the buyout was announced, if I recall correctly. Which says to me. they had to rush the game out while they were still allowed to publish it. If they didn't have to do that, the game would have presumably had the more time in the oven that it needed.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, Star Fox Adventures was definitely rushed. There's many good reasons to believe so, but never really did too much digging into that. The whole Dinosaur Planet / Star Fox Adventures ordeal was messy, and both Nintendo and Rare knew it. It was a grand game ! Loved it deeply !

Part of me says, it should've been a Donkey Kong game instead, certain thematics of the levels, having Animal Buddies in there basically, and the music just fitted Donkey Kong more than Star Fox. The Sharp Claws especially, they're basically Kremlings. General Scales is a skinny and way more sane version of King K.Rool.

Maybe that was more the problem with Rare, they where a bit too ambitious to be restricted by Nintendo and their franchises. They didn't really show the most love and attention towards Donkey Kong, one of the most legendary names and characters of gaming even before DKC, after DKC2. They quickly moved into their more ambitious Banjo Kazooie project, did Golden Eye (also didn't really bother doing James Bond too much beyond that), and yeah, basically wanted to have the most creative freedom as possible. Rare had everything going for them to basically become what SEGA was in the days of old, but shame, they didn't made it. Had they shown more interest in Nintendo's franchises, stuck with Donkey Kong more, tried their hands on other of the Nintendo franchises beyond DK and Star Fox, who knows what was possible for them ? Alas, we'll never know. But retrospectively, yeah it's not weird how things turned out.

But yeah, would I sacrifice Tropical Freeze, the biggest master piece of Donkey Kong beyond DKC2? I doubt it, it's a legendary platforming game with amazing atmosphere, music, style and difficulty even that's unmatched so far. Hard to compare it to DKC2, cause I still prefer that game, but... No I can't say I would want Rare DKC games before Tropical Freeze , seeing how things turned out. The possibility that Rare would again put way less effort into Donkey Kong than their own projects is just way too realistic to happen, in that given timeline of course. Even with this drought of DK titles I still confidently say, quality of quantity (this also saves a lot of money).

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'm actually fairly certain Nuts & Bolts as it was on 360 wouldn't of happened on Wii because...it wouldn't of even been possible. There's no way that game's physics engine with all those million car parts falling around would of worked on Wii, part of the reason Rare went ahead with the vehicle construction gameplay was because they wanted to take advantage of the 360's power.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
That does lead to an interesting question of what a Banjo-Kazooie title would have looked like on Wii. Pointer controls could have made for some interesting gameplay with egg firing and Rare was probably talented enough to make motion controls fairly organic for moves from the duo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom