• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All Purpose Donkey Kong Thread

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Happy New year!

https://dixieforsmash.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F672154815554519040 The first GIF of 2022 is from this video I prepared for New Year's day.

Also check out some of the GIFs I made this past year for "DIXIE FOR SMASH".
Happy New Year!!

Just checked out the vid, excellent work! I'll drop by YouTube and leave a like right after this post.

Thanks again for keeping the positivity alive, I've been taking a break due to IRL stuff but I'll likely start back up with art next month. Keep up the great work!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I've been saying this for a little while now, and it's not since the speculation threads for Ultimate where closed down when I came to this opinion but, hear me out... I think Cranky is probably the front runner now when it comes to newcomers for the DKC franchise, and not Dixie.

Yeah this might seem like a surprise, but am certain it's the case. Cranky is gonna be in the Mario Movie after all, which is huge. They're probably, 99% sure, gonna establish him as the DK from the Arcade days. That means he's one of Nintendo's oldest characters, from the one game that really put them on the market, and start of two legendary gaming franchises. That's already a big plus. There's no character on the roster of Smash yet who really represents the DK Arcade games, Cranky would be able to do this to an extent.

Next is the sort of newcomers we already got in Smash Ultimate seem to fit a certain pattern that Cranky follows more closely than Dixie. This pattern being; the expected character being skipped over for someone more unique. Am not saying Dixie would be a clone, but a semi clone is definitely a possibility. Cranky doesn't have this as a possibility at all. I do hope Dixie would be fully unique if she made it in, but being originally intended to be a couple with Diddy, this might not happen sadly.

Then there's the fiasco that Cranky happens to be in all the most famous DKC games, games that get more love from developers, right up to the point in Smash that the games Cranky where in are the only games directly represented, outside of Jungle Beat in the past and the Arcade. Those games being of course, DKC1, DK64, and DKC Returns. All featured in Smash way more than DKC2, DKC3 and Tropical Freeze.

Also, the last role where Dixie was playable, Tropical Freeze, had Cranky as a playable Kong too.

I'll still want Dixie more than Cranky, but I'm gonna be honest, I think Cranky is the one DKC newcomer that will make the roster before Dixie does.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I've been saying this for a little while now, and it's not since the speculation threads for Ultimate where closed down when I came to this opinion but, hear me out... I think Cranky is probably the front runner now when it comes to newcomers for the DKC franchise, and not Dixie.

Yeah this might seem like a surprise, but am certain it's the case. Cranky is gonna be in the Mario Movie after all, which is huge. They're probably, 99% sure, gonna establish him as the DK from the Arcade days. That means he's one of Nintendo's oldest characters, from the one game that really put them on the market, and start of two legendary gaming franchises. That's already a big plus. There's no character on the roster of Smash yet who really represents the DK Arcade games, Cranky would be able to do this to an extent.

Next is the sort of newcomers we already got in Smash Ultimate seem to fit a certain pattern that Cranky follows more closely than Dixie. This pattern being; the expected character being skipped over for someone more unique. Am not saying Dixie would be a clone, but a semi clone is definitely a possibility. Cranky doesn't have this as a possibility at all. I do hope Dixie would be fully unique if she made it in, but being originally intended to be a couple with Diddy, this might not happen sadly.

Then there's the fiasco that Cranky happens to be in all the most famous DKC games, games that get more love from developers, right up to the point in Smash that the games Cranky where in are the only games directly represented, outside of Jungle Beat in the past and the Arcade. Those games being of course, DKC1, DK64, and DKC Returns. All featured in Smash way more than DKC2, DKC3 and Tropical Freeze.

Also, the last role where Dixie was playable, Tropical Freeze, had Cranky as a playable Kong too.

I'll still want Dixie more than Cranky, but I'm gonna be honest, I think Cranky is the one DKC newcomer that will make the roster before Dixie does.
It's definitely possible, I see it as a toss up between Dixie, Cranky and Funky. 2 of them have meme history already and Dixie is treated like a no-brainer for future Smash games. Literally it could be any one of them showing up at this point, but I can't confidently guess until a new DK game or the Mario movie drops. The best I can do right now is shrug, but yeah Cranky has a good shot along with Funky and Dixie. We'll see where the wind blows in a few months hopefully.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It would be really weird to see Nintendo fully embrace the old Rare lore of Cranky being the Arcade DK. For years, they seemed pretty hellbent on Modern/Rare DK just being the Arcade DK.

Even Smash itself has always considered Country and Arcade DK being one and the same. Stuff like all those old trophy/profile descriptions from Smash 64 to Smash 4, DK's placement in All-Star (starting with Brawl) always being based on his arcade debut, DK appearing with the other NES/80s era characters in Duck Hunt's trailer, etc.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's definitely possible, I see it as a toss up between Dixie, Cranky and Funky. 2 of them have meme history already and Dixie is treated like a no-brainer for future Smash games. Literally it could be any one of them showing up at this point, but I can't confidently guess until a new DK game or the Mario movie drops. The best I can do right now is shrug, but yeah Cranky has a good shot along with Funky and Dixie. We'll see where the wind blows in a few months hopefully.
I've practically been refusing any other idea but Dixie since K.Rool was confirmed, but we know for certain that Cranky is gonna appear in the Mario Movie. And, that's frankly huge. I could see all, or any of the 3 Kongs you mention make it, Funky seems to be a deal on his own though. He makes the most sense as "just that extra Echo Fighter cause people think he's funny".

Anyway, the Mario Movie having Cranky really got me thinking that Cranky might be a very overlooked character here, cause we're mostly aiming for Dixie. I would be pretty content with both honestly, moreso with Dixie, but if it's Cranky and Cranky only we're getting I couldn't say I would be disappointed. That's still 4 solid DKC characters on the roster after all.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The tricky x-factor for DK reps in the next Smash is timing. Cranky may have a decent role in the Mario movie, but if the next iteration of SSB is still some ways off, that may not be a factor in deciding whom gets in. That's not even getting into the fact that it was Dixie and not him that's been spotlight in stuff like Mario Kart Tour. Moreover, it may also come down to which character fits the fighter concept they're going for, Dixie with her hair as tool may simply fit that hypothetical better than Cranky with his cane. I'm certainly not discounting him or even Funky as possibilities, but I also think that Dixie has a bit less of an uphill battle given she is more popular and simply has more active playable games to work off of.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The tricky x-factor for DK reps in the next Smash is timing. Cranky may have a decent role in the Mario movie, but if the next iteration of SSB is still some ways off, that may not be a factor in deciding whom gets in. That's not even getting into the fact that it was Dixie and not him that's been spotlight in stuff like Mario Kart Tour. Moreover, it may also come down to which character fits the fighter concept they're going for, Dixie with her hair as tool may simply fit that hypothetical better than Cranky with his cane. I'm certainly not discounting him or even Funky as possibilities, but I also think that Dixie has a bit less of an uphill battle given she is more popular and simply has more active playable games to work off of.
Oh I get that perspective, and the Mario Kart Tour argument is a strong one indeed. Hmmm. Yes the hair concept of Dixie has potential to be a great original and unique moveset. For sure! BirthNote alone has proved that over and over again, as did many of us Dixie supporters.

I don't really think that that's the issue though. What am thinking is gonna prevent Dixie is her originally being supposed to have paired up with Diddy, which is still a possibility of course, especially with a sort of reboot. However being paired up will probably result her being a semi clone of sorts. Probably still one of the more unique ones, as say Wolf, but still. That's why I think she might be skipped over for Cranky.

Cranky also has a lot to draw from, even if it's "just" from being the original Arcade Donkey Kong. That's a game that hasn't been referenced much yet, especially in terms of playable characters and their movesets. That's curious for a game this legendary. And even if DKC2 and Tropical Freeze specifically are in my opinion THE best platforming games ever, you can't simply top the importance of the Arcade game. The cane might not make for a gimmick as Dixie's hair, but there's tons they could do with Cranky regardless.

Also happens that Cranky has had more appearances than Dixie, and he's been in the most famous and well known of the DK games.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Am still checked out on Smash speculation until further notice, but Cranky I would be fine with if not Dixie as previously expressed. Funky would be one of those “meh” choices for me, but an addition I’d reluctantly accept since it would still be better than nothing. Also I never recoiled from the casting with the Mario movie and still expecting the worst from it, though it may do fine by some characters if we’re lucky.

Not sure if anyone saw the Melee Diddy mod posted some weeks ago around Christmas, but was pretty nice. Would’ve thought I’d see a Smash 64 mod for him first though, using the DK64 model and all, but Melee modding based off how characters exist currently in Smash is taking off pretty well.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
So, now that Activision is Microsoft's, that means DK and Bowser have been guests in a Microsoft property...which is Skylanders. It's weird to think that DK, Bowser, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro have shared a game together and it's owned by Microsoft. Since Nintendo's on good terms with them, imagine the crossover potential. Throw Banjo in there and now all of this is actually possible now.

This is wild tbh.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, now that Activision is Microsoft's, that means DK and Bowser have been guests in a Microsoft property...which is Skylanders. It's weird to think that DK, Bowser, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro have shared a game together and it's owned by Microsoft. Since Nintendo's on good terms with them, imagine the crossover potential. Throw Banjo in there and now all of this is actually possible now.

This is wild tbh.
Oh the guys at DKVine are gonna eat this up, I imagine it already.. "Skylanders the biggest DKU crossover since Diddy Kong Racing and Smash Bros". It's kinda cool yeah, but should we really count the appearance of DK there as a major one ? They did do cool stuff with DK that I wish they would include in mainline games though.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Oh the guys at DKVine are gonna eat this up, I imagine it already.. "Skylanders the biggest DKU crossover since Diddy Kong Racing and Smash Bros". It's kinda cool yeah, but should we really count the appearance of DK there as a major one ? They did do cool stuff with DK that I wish they would include in mainline games though.
Yeah I'd count it. Nintendo usually doesn't loan out their characters so it was a surprise that they agreed to Skylanders, especially since Amiibo was a response to Activision's Toys to Life formula.

Laniv

Smash Lord
Picked up Nintendo Switch Online over the holidays so I can finally play the original trilogy.

Question: which of the trilogy would you say is the most difficult?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
The movesets are back and ready to be seen, as promised! To reach a wider audience, I'm gonna post them in the Next Smash - Speculation thread from now on, but I'll always link to the post here since the conversations there might be hard to keep up with:
Hello everyone, I felt like sharing one of my latest moveset ideas, this time for you-know-who.

In Dixie's case I've been breaking down the types of attacks she could theoretically do into categories. This is a brand new category that I'm gonna call Tandem; these are instances in which Dixie attacks with both her hair and at least one limb. So, without further ado here it is:

Dixie balances on one hand and then simultaneously kicks out a leg while swinging her ponytail in a brisk yet broad stroke. It’s a bit misleading while you charge the move, as the foot she’s gonna kick with starts opposite from where she swings her leg and the same applies to her ponytail, which the trajectory shows. She hits with her leg and hair in tandem, effectively performing a lopsided split that has different properties due to what she’s attacking with. Foes hit by her leg will receive more hitstun while those hit by her hair will suffer more knockback. As you can see, Dixie’s ponytail has more reach, so it’s usually better to catch enemies with her hair instead of her foot, but said foot can still cause problems for fighters who rolled around her to avoid the hair as they’ll still catch a kick.

The nature of this move makes it best suited as a potential Down Smash, since she's performing a lopsided yet hard-hitting split regardless of the side that connects. It's well within the range of potential moves Dixie can utilize to make for an interesting moveset. Her hair is the key to making her stand out as it's highly versatile, and for more ideas I have a whole database of potential moves in one document. Have a look:
It's updated....occasionally but it can go a long way to inspire others.
Hope y'all like the idea. I have more ideas brewing and they'll come to light eventually. Feedback is always welcome, good or bad.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The movesets are back and ready to be seen, as promised! To reach a wider audience, I'm gonna post them in the Next Smash - Speculation thread from now on, but I'll always link to the post here since the conversations there might be hard to keep up with:

Hope y'all like the idea. I have more ideas brewing and they'll come to light eventually. Feedback is always welcome, good or bad.
I'll be looking forward to you posting the Dixie moveset pictures of you there. They... They convinced me that Dixie could be a Echo Fighter with a unique Up B and dash attack and grab animation there, and I even agreed that that would be better than not having Dixie.

Speaking of, would you guys be upset if we got the whole absent Tropical Freeze cast, Dixie, Funky and Cranky, but Dixie and Funky would be Echo Fighters (but more fleshed out, as Chrom and Ken) but only Cranky would be fully unique ? I'm starting to think this isn't even a bad deal... Diddy and DK are my most played characters anyway.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'll be looking forward to you posting the Dixie moveset pictures of you there. They... They convinced me that Dixie could be a Echo Fighter with a unique Up B and dash attack and grab animation there, and I even agreed that that would be better than not having Dixie.

Speaking of, would you guys be upset if we got the whole absent Tropical Freeze cast, Dixie, Funky and Cranky, but Dixie and Funky would be Echo Fighters (but more fleshed out, as Chrom and Ken) but only Cranky would be fully unique ? I'm starting to think this isn't even a bad deal... Diddy and DK are my most played characters anyway.
Damn, I gotta keep a consistent pushback over there lmao. Didn't know that was the climate...seems my work ain't done lol.

Always check the Dixie Thread for handy rebuttals to Echoes; a lot of times the mindset goes from "I don't see how she can be different" and when that's proven wrong, it becomes "Well, even if she does have all this potential, I don't want her to be different." Dixie has to remain an interesting choice to speculate on; if everyone agrees on Echo, the subject gets boring and then she gets talked about less and fades onto obscurity. We'll then have a self-fulfilling prophecy where she gets in as an Echo because Sakurai thought that's what everyone wants. Can't have that; obviously we won't be delusional about it like so many internet crazes but there's nothing wrong with shooting for Semi-Clone like Wolf or completely Unique.

The good news about them convincing you is that they're acknowledging Dixie needs more than a different Up B. It used to be "Give her DK's Up B and call it a day" but now it's "Give her DK's Up B, a unique grab and her canon Dash Attack." It's not much but it's progress; I would keep pushing for more but that's just me.

As for Dixie and Funky, I'd go with a troll twist and pair them up Banjo-Kazooie...or should I say Tropical Freeze style rofl. Basically they work in tandem and have a moveset based on that game. Throw in Rambi somehow and we'll have something nobody saw coming.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Rambi himself already would be a nice troll pick that I wholeheartedly would accept.

'Sakurai: We had trouble picking a new Kong fighter out of the choices of Dixie, Cranky and Funky, so we checked what else we could do for a new Donkey Kong character, and opted for Rambi instead!'

"RAMBI CHARGES IN!!"

No honestly some of the pro Echo arguments even claimed that Dixie would need different animations despite using the same moves as Diddy. The Smash attacks where brought as examples.

Anyway I agree that a Wolf like semi clone situation is the least to aim for, but I couldn't totally object to a Ken style Echo if that would be the only way Dixie would make it. Taken it comes with different animations where she used her hair to attack, her own dash attack, different stats, a unique grabs AND throws, and of course a faithful Up B (could work as DK's Spinning Kong on the ground tho!).

But that would be a very broad definition of a Echo Fighter honestly.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Rambi himself already would be a nice troll pick that I wholeheartedly would accept.

'Sakurai: We had trouble picking a new Kong fighter out of the choices of Dixie, Cranky and Funky, so we checked what else we could do for a new Donkey Kong character, and opted for Rambi instead!'

"RAMBI CHARGES IN!!"

No honestly some of the pro Echo arguments even claimed that Dixie would need different animations despite using the same moves as Diddy. The Smash attacks where brought as examples.

Anyway I agree that a Wolf like semi clone situation is the least to aim for, but I couldn't totally object to a Ken style Echo if that would be the only way Dixie would make it. Taken it comes with different animations where she used her hair to attack, her own dash attack, different stats, a unique grabs AND throws, and of course a faithful Up B (could work as DK's Spinning Kong on the ground tho!).

But that would be a very broad definition of a Echo Fighter honestly.
Honestly, Ken's an Echo in Name Only; we'd get a unique moveset out of that deal which would be great, but it's not the best idea to hope for Ken-Level when he's 1 in 7; that means we're up against 6:1 odds and hoping for the best. I definitely wouldn't gamble on that since we're far more likely to get 6 bad rolls for every good one. Plus, most of the Echoes have the same attack animations; even with Dark Samus shooting missiles at a lower height the rest of her attacks are pretty unchanged in movement/poses. Giving Dixie different animations for Diddy's attacks would already be more than what most Echoes are given and I agree that it really stretches what an Echo even is lol; back when I was arguing with White Frost I checked all the Echoes' attacks to make sure, and sure enough they're functionally the same. I'll share a pic if you're interested. 👍

But yeah, Rambi on his own would be pretty funny. You can make a moveset for anything but as long as they capture the wrecking ball rhino feeling you get from the games he'd be really fun. A Barrel Cannon Up B would be nice for him lol

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly, Ken's an Echo in Name Only; we'd get a unique moveset out of that deal which would be great, but it's not the best idea to hope for Ken-Level when he's 1 in 7; that means we're up against 6:1 odds and hoping for the best. I definitely wouldn't gamble on that since we're far more likely to get 6 bad rolls for every good one. Plus, most of the Echoes have the same attack animations; even with Dark Samus shooting missiles at a lower height the rest of her attacks are pretty unchanged in movement/poses. Giving Dixie different animations for Diddy's attacks would already be more than what most Echoes are given and I agree that it really stretches what an Echo even is lol; back when I was arguing with White Frost I checked all the Echoes' attacks to make sure, and sure enough they're functionally the same. I'll share a pic if you're interested. 👍

But yeah, Rambi on his own would be pretty funny. You can make a moveset for anything but as long as they capture the wrecking ball rhino feeling you get from the games he'd be really fun. A Barrel Cannon Up B would be nice for him lol
Yeah do share ! Am very interested. Honestly, I think the best Echoes are Lucina and Chrom by far. By just alone changing how their swords work, the way these characters play are just drastically different from Marth and Roy. The Up B change changes quite a lot for Chrom too though.

Dark Samus was used as their favorite comparison in this situation though, as she also "shouldn't be a Echo". Yet it would be the only way of her ever making the game, she's a literal dead character. But yeah I understand what you mean with the 1-7 roll.

Rambi on his own would probably be mad as **** to play. I'd totally make him one of my mains, no joke. Rhinos where always my favorite animals, and literally one of the reasons I was so attracted to DKC in the first place. "WHOA YOU CAN RIDE A RHINO?!" Was one of my reactions when I first saw the game. I always struggle to think of a Up B for him indeed, the Barrel Canon is the best thing I can think of indeed.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Yeah do share ! Am very interested. Honestly, I think the best Echoes are Lucina and Chrom by far. By just alone changing how their swords work, the way these characters play are just drastically different from Marth and Roy. The Up B change changes quite a lot for Chrom too though.

Dark Samus was used as their favorite comparison in this situation though, as she also "shouldn't be a Echo". Yet it would be the only way of her ever making the game, she's a literal dead character. But yeah I understand what you mean with the 1-7 roll.

Rambi on his own would probably be mad as **** to play. I'd totally make him one of my mains, no joke. Rhinos where always my favorite animals, and literally one of the reasons I was so attracted to DKC in the first place. "WHOA YOU CAN RIDE A RHINO?!" Was one of my reactions when I first saw the game. I always struggle to think of a Up B for him indeed, the Barrel Canon is the best thing I can think of indeed.
Ok so I'll link to this Echo Rebuttal post I made. Since the Barrel is locked I can't quote myself and just put the images up but this is the next best thing:
The Echoes ARE pretty different overall is the spot where the images are. I may have to retake those photos for quality but they're good to go imo.

Usually when Dark Samus is mentioned I counter with Isabelle and Bowser Jr since most people wrote them off until they got in. It was weird that she became an Echo despite her AT and boss fights but like you said she's dead to her series. I don't see her being in Prime 4, since even though you can mutate a Metroid into becoming Metroid Prime, you can't make another Dark Samus out of that mutant Metroid without some real BS thrown into the story lol.

And with Rambi, I thought maybe Squawks could carry him but I was like that's not happening LMAO it's like K. Rool using Villager's balloons. It's funny but it makes no type of sense, so Barrel Cannon it is lol. Down B's gotta be that stomp he does in the Returns games, DK can't get all the fun!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ok so I'll link to this Echo Rebuttal post I made. Since the Barrel is locked I can't quote myself and just put the images up but this is the next best thing:
The Echoes ARE pretty different overall is the spot where the images are. I may have to retake those photos for quality but they're good to go imo.

Usually when Dark Samus is mentioned I counter with Isabelle and Bowser Jr since most people wrote them off until they got in. It was weird that she became an Echo despite her AT and boss fights but like you said she's dead to her series. I don't see her being in Prime 4, since even though you can mutate a Metroid into becoming Metroid Prime, you can't make another Dark Samus out of that mutant Metroid without some real BS thrown into the story lol.

And with Rambi, I thought maybe Squawks could carry him but I was like that's not happening LMAO it's like K. Rool using Villager's balloons. It's funny but it makes no type of sense, so Barrel Cannon it is lol. Down B's gotta be that stomp he does in the Returns games, DK can't get all the fun!
I was around the time Isabelle got revealed, the thread title had "THANK YOU ISABELLE" in it for a while. I remember it well, cause it gave us hope. Little did we know... I think the Echoes where just low effort characters in the end, even the Melee clones had some more distinction to them, outside of Chrom, Lucina and Ken then of course. And with Chrom and his daughter it's mostly cause of how their Falchion works.

Dark Samus is not coming back to Metroid indeed, not without some huge bull****. You said that fine enough. I also think she got in cause of ballot votes whom where originally from Ridley fans who looked for 'the next best thing', which Dark Samus was... Literally an afterthought that would be cool, but probably wouldn't happen. But she did happen, mostly cause of the Smash 4 AT situation I guess, because her model was already in there anyway.

Rambi could have a Up B that's basically hit attack animation from DKC and Tropical Freeze maybe? It would fit for Rambi to have a bad recovery. In DKC he's literally invincible unless you fall, are hit from behind, or hit by fire or lightning. So that would fit. Down B has to be the Super Charge, and you know it deep in your heart.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Rambi could have a Up B that's basically hit attack animation from DKC and Tropical Freeze maybe? It would fit for Rambi to have a bad recovery. In DKC he's literally invincible unless you fall, are hit from behind, or hit by fire or lightning. So that would fit. Down B has to be the Super Charge, and you know it deep in your heart.
Down B as the Super Charge? C'mon it's gotta be Forward B or Neutral cuz of the forward momentum! How bout, that horn hit goes to an A Button? The Barrel Cannon can get nerfed so that Rambi controls like a brick in water whenever he's airborne lol. Basically his fall speed is too fast and it makes him scary to ever leave the ground with. Even Mac will pity him lol

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Down B as the Super Charge? C'mon it's gotta be Forward B or Neutral cuz of the forward momentum! How bout, that horn hit goes to an A Button? The Barrel Cannon can get nerfed so that Rambi controls like a brick in water whenever he's airborne lol. Basically his fall speed is too fast and it makes him scary to ever leave the ground with. Even Mac will pity him lol
So Rambi would basically be a rioded up Little Mac with super armor, a disjointed hit box cause of his horn and be a speedy super heavyweight? That sounds totally fine with me.

No honestly, if it was possible I would include Rambi over any other option. He would just be too fun.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I was around the time Isabelle got revealed, the thread title had "THANK YOU ISABELLE" in it for a while. I remember it well, cause it gave us hope. Little did we know... I think the Echoes where just low effort characters in the end, even the Melee clones had some more distinction to them, outside of Chrom, Lucina and Ken then of course. And with Chrom and his daughter it's mostly cause of how their Falchion works.

Dark Samus is not coming back to Metroid indeed, not without some huge bull****. You said that fine enough. I also think she got in cause of ballot votes whom where originally from Ridley fans who looked for 'the next best thing', which Dark Samus was... Literally an afterthought that would be cool, but probably wouldn't happen. But she did happen, mostly cause of the Smash 4 AT situation I guess, because her model was already in there anyway.

Late comment, but while there were some Metroid fans that gave up on Ridley after Smash 4 Wii U that likely translated to some Dark Samus votes for the ballot, it’s unclear how much she was actually supported there compared to him. If she had gotten significantly more votes for instance, could’ve seen her being more of a semi-clone rather than echo. My annoyance pre-Ultimate was how we had Dark Pit as a clone and not Dark Samus, and I think that was how most Metroid fans felt on the matter regardless of Ridley’s status. There wasn’t just the Dark Samus assist trophy, she was also an alt skin for Samus in Smash 4, which made it puzzling that she wasn’t already added as a clone at that point when we had Dark Pit.

I could see Rambi as some kind of dark horse pick, yeah. Surprised he wasn’t an assist trophy at least. Moving on to today’s news though…

Sigh, here we go again Nintendo. So I guess the burning question everyone’s thinking, what DK content will or will not be included in this game? No Kremlings I’m guessing as per the current status quo. Diddy’s a bare minimum desire but even him being added to such games is questionable if not doubtful sadly.

Oh, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe getting a bunch of race course DLC I’ll admit was a nice surprise. Better late than never. Same with the little Metroid Dread update. Now that MK8D DLC is on the table too, Diddy, Dixie, and Funky being added to that from Tour is a best case scenario, but hype responsibly and all that.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Late comment, but while there were some Metroid fans that gave up on Ridley after Smash 4 Wii U that likely translated to some Dark Samus votes for the ballot, it’s unclear how much she was actually supported there compared to him. If she had gotten significantly more votes for instance, could’ve seen her being more of a semi-clone rather than echo. My annoyance pre-Ultimate was how we had Dark Pit as a clone and not Dark Samus, and I think that was how most Metroid fans felt on the matter regardless of Ridley’s status. There wasn’t just the Dark Samus assist trophy, she was also an alt skin for Samus in Smash 4, which made it puzzling that she wasn’t already added as a clone at that point when we had Dark Pit.

I could see Rambi as some kind of dark horse pick, yeah. Surprised he wasn’t an assist trophy at least. Moving on to today’s news though…

Sigh, here we go again Nintendo. So I guess the burning question everyone’s thinking, what DK content will or will not be included in this game? No Kremlings I’m guessing as per the current status quo. Diddy’s a bare minimum desire but even him being added to such games is questionable if not doubtful sadly.

Oh, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe getting a bunch of race course DLC I’ll admit was a nice surprise. Better late than never. Same with the little Metroid Dread update. Now that MK8D DLC is on the table too, Diddy, Dixie, and Funky being added to that from Tour is a best case scenario, but hype responsibly and all that.
Thank you for your input on the Dark Samus part. I never actually thought you guys supported the idea of her being a clone even as far as Smash 4, but it does make sense. I guess relevancy made them choose Dark Pit, and because he's sort of a Smash OC character due to his appearance as a costume in Brawl ? It's probably what we already know though, Dark Pit is a Sakurai creation.

I'm not sure if the Kritter goalies are gonna be completely gone though. As far as we know, we might actually have different type of goalies, Kritters just being one of them. But it sure WOULD suck bananas if they'd be completely gone.

I do honestly expect Diddy at the very least. If not, I fear that he won't be appearing much in the future of Mario spin off games. Weird to have bim in Mario Party, but not Kart for example, where he appeared since Double Dash (my favorite game in the series too). Also weird that Mario Kart gets 48 old skool tracks added as DLC, but they can't add past drivers. I bet many would love the return of Diddy, Petey Piranha, Dry Bones, R.O.B., Funky and Birdo.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As of late, I've been thinking about what other potential game genres the broader DKU could expand to. The obvious stuff is puzzle games, another Diddy Kong Racing title, or maybe even a sports spin-off ala the Mario titles. However, there is one area that I think there could be some potential in: DKC as an RPG.

Now for the longest time I always dismissed that concept as untenable because role playing titles rely so much on dialogue for storytelling and the best DK games have often been non-verbal for their narratives. However, the more I've thought about it, the more I believe it would be a great opportunity to actually expand the universe the games take place in. After all, the various different titles have gradually introduced characters here and there, right?

So with a trio of main playable Kongs (DK, Diddy, & Dixie) numerous supporting roles (Cranky, Wrinkly, Funky, Candy, Swanky, Lanky, Tiny, Kiddy, Chunky), obvious antagonists (Kremlings, Tiki Tribe, Snowmads), NPC's (the Brothers Bears to start) and a host of many enemies that could be battled and/or made into friendly NPC's... I think there's something to it. The main trio wouldn't even necessarily talk, as the Mario & Luigi games have demonstrated how silent-ish RPG protagonists can still express personality.

Now, the big two questions would be visuals and actual gameplay. In the case of the former, while I would prefer something like the darker/realistic aesthetics of the classic trilogy (DK in HD-2D?), honestly if there was a game where something like the Paon style could really work, it would be an RPG. Give those sprites the modern high definition treatment while making them more expressive, and the style would still stand out. With gameplay, that's the trickier question, however there is a reason I brought up the M&L series earlier.

That franchise eventually defined itself differently from both its progenitor Mario RPG and its sister series Paper Mario, by emphasizing the team mechanic of the brothers, and taking the timed hits element into almost mini-game territory with both defense and attack. So, a series focusing on team mechanics and subsections that often rewarded precise jumps for offense and defense... sound familiar? There's a real genuine translation of DKC's kinetic gameplay that can work within a Mario & Luigi style framework, especially if the battle system could figure out a way to utilize bits of platforming into it. Battle in certain environments, and maybe the Kongs would be avoiding both attacks and potential hazards like pits during it. That's without even getting into how stuff like DK's punches, Diddy/Dixie's guns, or use of different barrels could be incorporated with battles.

I'm just spitballing, but given the sheer scope of DKC (and DK in general) across different releases, I really do believe the parts are there to make the kind of enjoyable title that could stand alongside contemporary Paper Mario as an enjoyable action RPG.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
As of late, I've been thinking about what other potential game genres the broader DKU could expand to. The obvious stuff is puzzle games, another Diddy Kong Racing title, or maybe even a sports spin-off ala the Mario titles. However, there is one area that I think there could be some potential in: DKC as an RPG.

Now for the longest time I always dismissed that concept as untenable because role playing titles rely so much on dialogue for storytelling and the best DK games have often been non-verbal for their narratives. However, the more I've thought about it, the more I believe it would be a great opportunity to actually expand the universe the games take place in. After all, the various different titles have gradually introduced characters here and there, right?

So with a trio of main playable Kongs (DK, Diddy, & Dixie) numerous supporting roles (Cranky, Wrinkly, Funky, Candy, Swanky, Lanky, Tiny, Kiddy, Chunky), obvious antagonists (Kremlings, Tiki Tribe, Snowmads), NPC's (the Brothers Bears to start) and a host of many enemies that could be battled and/or made into friendly NPC's... I think there's something to it. The main trio wouldn't even necessarily talk, as the Mario & Luigi games have demonstrated how silent-ish RPG protagonists can still express personality.

Now, the big two questions would be visuals and actual gameplay. In the case of the former, while I would prefer something like the darker/realistic aesthetics of the classic trilogy (DK in HD-2D?), honestly if there was a game where something like the Paon style could really work, it would be an RPG. Give those sprites the modern high definition treatment while making them more expressive, and the style would still stand out. With gameplay, that's the trickier question, however there is a reason I brought up the M&L series earlier.

That franchise eventually defined itself differently from both its progenitor Mario RPG and its sister series Paper Mario, by emphasizing the team mechanic of the brothers, and taking the timed hits element into almost mini-game territory with both defense and attack. So, a series focusing on team mechanics and subsections that often rewarded precise jumps for offense and defense... sound familiar? There's a real genuine translation of DKC's kinetic gameplay that can work within a Mario & Luigi style framework, especially if the battle system could figure out a way to utilize bits of platforming into it. Battle in certain environments, and maybe the Kongs would be avoiding both attacks and potential hazards like pits during it. That's without even getting into how stuff like DK's punches, Diddy/Dixie's guns, or use of different barrels could be incorporated with battles.

I'm just spitballing, but given the sheer scope of DKC (and DK in general) across different releases, I really do believe the parts are there to make the kind of enjoyable title that could stand alongside contemporary Paper Mario as an enjoyable action RPG.
I don't recall Bowser doing a ton of speaking in Super Mario RPG, but what speaking he did do, was great and he's my favorite part of the game. The reason I bring that up is that I feel DK could be characterized in a similar way. He wouldn't speak much, but what would be there, would be enough to make him feel pretty great. Which is how he's portrayed in the platformers, come to think of it.

...A now I'm just imagining K Rool being a hapless dope the way Bowser was in SMRPG. Forced to join up with the Kongs to defeat the bigger, badder bad of the game, just like Bowser was. It may be cliche as this point, but it's a cliche I wouldn't mind seeing again!

And oh man, imagine Cranky just being this insufferable-but-funny grump the whole way through! You're right, a DK RPG would be fantastic if done well!

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
A DK RPG would be really fun and quirky, especially if they take inspiration from Mario & Luigi but go in their own direction. I remember me and Diddy Kong bouncing ideas back and forth yeeeeeears ago but yeah the gist was that you could come up with tons of team attacks and combos between the Kongs since most have a unique feel.

Since we're on the subject of RPGs, what classes would y'all put the Kongs in? We don't have to follow the strict definitions of RPG classes but we can use it as a base for branching out. I'd go with this:

DK can be raw strength, aggressive, and tank damage, so he'll be the Warrior archetype with Knight (for protecting allies and drawing aggro) and Berserker due to his temper and aggression. He also has Area of Effect and Directional shockwaves. His agility is also appreciated, making him versatile, but not to the point of being bland.

Kiddy would also have strength but specialize in aggression since he's a toddler, but not much for tanking damage compared to the others in his category, though still more than most outside his category (Diddy, Cranky, Dixie, Lanky, Tiny, etc). He's best suited for berserking, because everyone knows how wild a toddler can be.

Chunky would be the strongest and also the biggest damage sponge, but his aggression would be the lowest of all characters period, so he's suited best as the absolute Tank. Have him on the front lines cuz when he hits, he deals massive damage. Just beware his very low speed and agility.

Diddy will specialize in range, being a gun-slinging but fast and highly aggressive rogue who can scout out territory and harass enemies up close and far away. He can't take much damage but he can pack a punch as well as use Orange Grenades and lay banana traps. Diddy is a trickster that will infuriate enemies as he keeps them busy. His jetpack will reward risky behavior so dive headfirst.

Tiny will also have range with her crossbow, but take on more stealthy attributes by shrinking. She is also aggressive, but not as much as Diddy and is more akin to the assassin due to shrinking for surprise attacks. Though her speed isn't great, she can perform deadly moves with her hair up close and evade damage by twirling out of danger. She has range, but once she gets close you're in trouble. Her ponytails can constrict victims like 2 snakes or snap them in half, leading to KOs. Tiny can also grab a victim with her ponytails and use them as Meat Shields to greatly reduce any damage she takes.

Cranky's a rogue but has a lot in common with mages, making him a hybrid of a sort. He has his cane which he throws like a javelin and it automatically bounces back to him once it hits something, creating trick shots via ricochets, and he can leave dentures as traps to repeatedly bite foes and chip off health. The cane also provides close range hits. He's a potions master, so he can concoct brews that heal himself and friends, give them buffs and de-buff foes. Some of his potions can also be thrown on the ground or enemies to essentially create hazards like his dentures or poison foes. This combination of Status Effect brews and traps makes him very tactical, but he is the most frail of the group due to age. He's the most aggressive Kong despite his fragility.

Lanky as an oddball is ranged, but only because of his supernatural stretching. He can hit from up close and afar, grab enemies and pull them in for his friends to pummel them, inflate and deflate like a balloon to propel himself at and crash into enemies; he can also stretch his arms to block incoming attacks meant for other Kongs, but that means he'll take some of the damage as it's localized to the arm he used, and this comes at the cost of flattening like a tire and temporarily disabling the arm if enough damage is taken. Overall, Lanky is a team player that can support friends and bind enemies easier than Dixie or Tiny. Like Tiny, constricted enemies can be meat shields, but he can club other enemies with them. He's the 2nd least aggressive Kong however.

Dixie is primarily close range, but is the best at evading damage due to her ponytail and hits hard once she gets in reach. She can use sticky gum grenades to trap foes in place for a time as they struggle to break free, grab enemies with her hair and catapult them into other enemies or toss them to Kongs to set up combos, as well as receive support from the Banana Birds to rain down eggs both small, large and massive on her enemies. The Banana Birds provide a magical element to her moveset, giving protective barriers to herself and friends and amplify her musical attacks. Like Cranky she is a hybrid mage, but her "magic" is primarily defensive while Cranky's provide Status Effects. Cranky is a "Magical" Rogue, Dixie is a "Magical" Warrior.

LASTLY, Funky is a hybrid of many types. He has a heavy hitting ranged Boot Bazooka, can provide healing potions to himself and his friends (but no poison), rides literal waves as he surfs and slams into enemies with his surfboard, throws Orange Grenades like Diddy and is solid at close range. He and Diddy are the fastest Kongs but Funky is not very aggressive with strength higher than Kiddy's but lower than DK's. He's well-rounded and able to offer support to the team via potions, and everyone gets an Orange Grenade to use when he's an active party member.

Sorry for the wall of text but I wanted to just throw stuff out there. These characters don't fit cleanly into a given class so you gotta make it up as you go. With refinement it can be a fascinating concept, but if y'all have your own ideas for feel free to share and stoke the imagination lol.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The nice thing about an RPG is that the respective extent of each Kong's involvement can be adjusted to fit the overall design. Even if all of them wouldn't necessarily be active party members, they could still be summons, or even an in between Paper Mario esque partner; Swanky being called upon to steal money from enemies to name just one possibility.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Ngl, I had the idea for a DKC RPG ever since I played Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga for GBA, years back. That idea got more and more wild whilst playing DK Jungle Climber, which had animated cutscenes with the Kongs and K.Rool talking (specifically, Diddy and Cranky alone with the Kongs though, DK reacts but only with grunts and his voice).

So I don't even think it has to be 100% a silent protagonist RPG, Diddy could talk, Cranky too, or maybe you get some typical Mario RPG buddy that does the talking for you, even could be done with existing characters as say, a Banana Fairy, or Squaks.

A battle system like the Mario RPGs would do wonders showcasing the different abilities of the Kongs too. In most Mario RPGs, you have Jump and Hammer as main attacks, with a DK RPG it could be Punch / Roll and use various barrels as items, could even have Animal Buddy crates as summons? I even imagine team attacks as in the Mario & Luigi games would work wonderfully with the DKC cast too. Rhythm based battle system would fit the crazy platformer gameplay of DKC too, but it doesn't need to copy Mario at all.

It could also feature some classic RPG elements, but I at least expect it to play a little faster than a typical RPG, the only thing I'd like to copy from Mario RPGs is trying to avoid attacks of your enemies like Mario & Luigi. Cause that's basically all what DKC Boss battles are like. Avoid their attack patterns and find a moment to strike back.

I mostly think a game like a RPG could finally find use for Donkey Kong's strength, I generally find this very important feat of his underused, outside of Jungle Beat.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
gonna be honest even though DKC isn't at the top of my nintendo direct wish list any time one happens, if they announced a new one i would buy it even if it was ''donkey kong does his taxes, featuring funky mode''

i think my number one dream would be a true blue diddy kong racing sequel, with a new adventure mode and everything.

Top Bottom