• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All newcomers were leaked along Little Mac, Pac Man and the Miis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I think the Mii is most likely a soul like in SoulCalibur V,kinda like an alternate costume to everybody.
Doesn't "waste a slot" and would take short development time.No problem with size either,the Mii gets resized like the original character,not the reverse.
If I can be my favorite character,then it's "Mii".
This is interesting. Have Mii be everybody's clone... I like that idea (if Mii HAS to be included), but kind of wonder how it'd adapt to Kirby or pika.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
This is interesting. Have Mii be everybody's clone... I like that idea (if Mii HAS to be included), but kind of wonder how it'd adapt to Kirby or pika.

Kirby (and Jigglypuff) does seem like an odd case,but I'm pretty sure Miis can get as small as Smash's Pikachu.
Could always be just the head with the normal character's arms and feet.(since they're seperately animated from the "main body")

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I think the Mii is most likely a soul like in SoulCalibur V,kinda like an alternate costume to everybody.
Doesn't "waste a slot" and would take short development time.No problem with size either,the Mii gets resized like the original character,not the reverse.
If I can be my favorite character,then it's "Mii".
Nah, Sakurai seems to very much so care about preserving character uniqueness based on his comments about alternate costumes. Handing every character's moveset off to Mii would be terrible for both Mii's uniqueness and the uniqueness of the characters whose movesets he is stealing.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Someone may have already said this but considering how the leak was worded and the fact we haven't gotten the three other characters, I've always thought that the rumor or leak was about half true. The leaker got info on the first three and decided to add three other "likely" characters to mess with everyone.

Bear in mind that I'm not questioning the Neogaf's poster integrity (and I believe he or she got it in an email from a source). I just I am trying to come up with a solution on why there hasn't been any info on the other three characters.

Additionally, Little Mac would be a great fit and is still considered retro despite his Wii release, so it goes with Sakurai's thinking. His moveset should be purely punches, dodges, and blocks. I could see him being a very technical and deadly character.

The Miis would ok, but I have no strong inclination towards them either way. I see their value, and they have plenty of moves from the Wii Series that you could use.

why does everyone hate pac I would kill for sonic, mega,mario, and pac to be fighting in one game. There pretty much the gaming ind. founding fathers
Pac-Man should stay without legs and arms. That's what I think and it hasn't changes over the last twenty years. Tried Pac-Man World 2 and it felt weird. Pcaman Vs worked. I respect his legacy as a founding father, but that doesn't mean he should be in a fighting game when he's best known for chomping. But if anyone can make him work, it's Nintendo.

Squartle

Smash Apprentice
Pac-Man should stay without legs and arms. That's what I think and it hasn't changes over the last twenty years. Tried Pac-Man World 2 and it felt weird. Pcaman Vs worked. I respect his legacy as a founding father, but that doesn't mean he should be in a fighting game when he's best known for chomping. But if anyone can make him work, it's Nintendo.
I loved Pac-Man World 2. Still one of my favorite games. It's not a work of art, but I love the music, the cute graphics, the music, the mascot platformer gameplay (which, as a genre, seems to have mostly faded away with the exception of Mario), the music, and the B-doings, which were awesome. Also, the music.

I definitely give it more credit than it deserves because of nostalgia, but I can still sit down and play it, and thoroughly enjoy myself.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Someone may have already said this but considering how the leak was worded and the fact we haven't gotten the three other characters, I've always thought that the rumor or leak was about half true. The leaker got info on the first three and decided to add three other "likely" characters to mess with everyone.

Bear in mind that I'm not questioning the Neogaf's poster integrity (and I believe he or she got it in an email from a source). I just I am trying to come up with a solution on why there hasn't been any info on the other three characters.
I did some investigation and he may be credible. It's hard to say with limited info. The problem is documentation. Rule in my job is you document it or it didn't happen. That's the whole issue with this.

Again, I'll have to see it because I'm otherwise not convinced. The characters were not shown off at E3 so there is that.

Also, credibility aside, the NeoGAF guy is a pretty weak journalist.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I do want iwata as a character. Iwata taunts for smash brothers. Up taunt Directly to you. Left Taunt Holds bananas. Right Taunt speaks english Down Taunt Please understand. I'll take iwata over a mii.

Tommy Ettinger

Smash Rookie
if only one sonic character is allowed as some people have said its unlikely with two third party characters from the same series why not give dr eggman a shot as a playable character give him the mech from sonic adventure 2 battle

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

My guesses, ordered from most to least likely:

1) The leaker found out six characters from the roster, and assumed/invented that all six would be revealed at E3, when Nintendo in fact only had plans to reveal 3.

2) The leaker found out 3 of the characters that would be revealed at E3, and invented 3 other reveals in order to entertain himself by watching everybody wait with baited breath throughout the rest of the conference.

3) The leaker found out about Nintendo's E3 plans a significant time in advance. and those plans were later changed. His inaccuracy can be attributed to waiting until right before E3 hit to reveal his outdated information, and he failed to note that he was working with old info.

4) The leaker was a really lucky guesser sending a "leaked" roster to a known, reputable poster in order to legitimize his very unlikely guess should he be proven right.

No way to say what happened for sure, but I could see it being any of the above.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
if only one sonic character is allowed as some people have said its unlikely with two third party characters from the same series why not give dr eggman a shot as a playable character give him the mech from sonic adventure 2 battle
dr. robotnic no stupid eggman crap :p

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
I do want iwata as a character. Iwata taunts for smash brothers. Up taunt Directly to you. Left Taunt Holds bananas. Right Taunt speaks english Down Taunt Please understand. I'll take iwata over a mii.
Here, at Nintendo, We are exited to announce, the forthcoming release, of me beating your ass! enjoy....

The World Warrior

Smash Apprentice
If this guy is right then I'm slightly disappoint. I mean don't get me wrong, I am absolutely thrilled about Mega Man being revealed it was the highlight of E3 for me. Little Mac and Pac-Man sound awesome as well but the Mii sounds lame. Never really been a fan of avatar type characters like that. I'd take Ridley, Black Shadow, or King K. Rool instead. The first two especially seeing as Donkey Kong Country already has two reps. Samus and Captain Falcon feel rather lonely.

Either way this guy knows something. Who the heck would have guessed Wii Fit Trainer? Totally out of the left field if you ask me.

Just my two cents.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Boring design?!! Have u even...nope just gonna leave that one alone.
I have huge respect for the original arcade Pac-Man, but everything with his name on it after that just leaves me with a bitter taste. As for his design, it's pretty much as generic as it gets. I really wouldn't mind it if it wasn't for the pinnochio nose.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I have huge respect for the original arcade Pac-Man, but everything with his name on it after that just leaves me with a bitter taste. As for his design, it's pretty much as generic as it gets. I really wouldn't mind it if it wasn't for the pinnochio nose.

His design is the one from the first game's arcade artwork and hasn't changed since.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
His design is the one from the first game's arcade artwork and hasn't changed since.
Well, I guess I just prefer his in-game design from back then if that's the case, as bland as it might be it's still the design everyone recognizes him for.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well, I guess I just prefer his in-game design from back then if that's the case, as bland as it might be it's still the design everyone recognizes him for.
You mean his ball form? I mean... the yellow ball that is missing 1/6 of its area? I mean no doubt he is a classic... but he is kind of... a... circle... with a mouth....

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
original pacman:

and him now. first one: classic.
second one: creepy

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
WOAH! When the hell did this happen? I just figured they stuck with the Pac man world look.

Morbi

Scavenger
original pacman:

and him now. first one: classic.
second one: creepy
It is the eyes.... I think if they didn't give him creepy anime eyes people wouldn't be so turned of by his appearance. I could be wrong though. It could be the shoelaces that make all the difference. :p

peeup

Smash Lord
Either way this guy knows something. Who the heck would have guessed Wii Fit Trainer? Totally out of the left field if you ask me.
Law of averages + Number of people who post on the internet = someone was bound to correctly guess three characters, no matter how obscure. NCAA basketball tournament is always 100% unpredictable, but people still manage to guess 100% correctly. It usually has to do with weird biases. "Wii Fit was my favorite game, Wii Fit Trainer is bound to be in Smash!"

Morbi

Scavenger
Law of averages + Number of people who post on the internet = someone was bound to correctly guess three characters, no matter how obscure. NCAA basketball tournament is always 100% unpredictable, but people still manage to guess 100% correctly. It usually has to do with weird biases. "Wii Fit was my favorite game, Wii Fit Trainer is bound to be in Smash!"
Yeah. Villager was also kind of out of the blue though. I mean if you took what Sakurai said to heart he should not have even been up for debate. Megaman could have been harder to license or he could have followed the Sonic trend of not making it in the game until late in development. So to guess all 3 would be pretty crazy. I mean especially considering the majority of people always throw in some really stupid ones.

Not to mention Little Mac is already pretty likely given the Punch Out stage and his former appearances as a trophy and an assist trophy. Of course there was also the Wii Punch Out that released after Brawl. So he isn't a crazy guess.

Pac-Man is the furthest from a crazy guess given who is developing the game. He is also a video game icon that looks like he would fit in the SSB world.

Miis are also a fair prediction considering that Sakurai is alluding to some kind of character customization.

My point is that the 3 crazy guesses are out of the way. The last 3 are pretty rational predictions. Not to mention the list is absent of fan favorites like K. Rool, Palutena, Ridley, or Mewtwo. It seems really weird that most people think at least one of the 4 I mentioned will make it in. Yet not one is one the leaked list. If I was making a leak that I wanted people to believe I would have thrown in someone from that list. Not only to make people believe me... but to make them WANT to believe me. Most people are in denial because they don't really like Pac-Man or Miis. I still think it is pretty likely though. Look at Villager, he is nothing more than a glorified Mii.

I don't know. To call it chance that someone would just leak a list with someone Sakurai said wouldn't be part of the Smash games, an obscure character that nobody guessed, and a character that could have been tied in red-tape is pretty bold. The rest of the list is fairly rational as well. Miis I could see coming even if I hate them. Pac-Man is a given. Little Mac has a lot going for him. You can call it a coincidence if you want... but you seem to be under the impression that everyone on the internet leaks things. There are only a FEW people who claim to have leaks. So the law of averages (I don't even think that applies in this circumstance) means less than what you assume.

A weird bias doesn't even begin to describe how someone thought Wii Fit Trainer was going to make it in the game. You would also need to be a creative individual to even think about her in a fighting game with move-set potential. Say a person thought she was actually in the game... this person didn't claim that. They claimed she would be REVEALED at E3. I mean really? None of these are really front runners with the exception of Mega-Man. So why would an individual assume she would be leading the newcomers? That is also a correct "guess".

They also loaded the list with Miis. No one really wants to have Miis in the game. I mean only casuals who will play the game for a week or two really care about Miis. So why put that on a list? That seems like the only one I have a problem with. Even so, Sakurai did say character customization was incoming. So it is a possibility. With the implementation of the Miiverse and what not I think it is a probable guess. It is funny how I am defending the list yet I think it is not credible based on one mere selection. I guess my innate predisposition to disregard Miis is derived from the notion that I do not want them in the game. I think that is similar to what people are construing currently. If you don't like the list it creates a bias. You hope the list isn't true so you choose not to believe it. How could Sakurai put Miis in the game? That is the only reason I have a problem with the list. At least I am willing to be honest about it though.

TL;DR- There is no way this was a coincidence. It would be irrational to disregard the list simply because it is not favorable. However, the list is a logical one. The gimmicky ones were revealed at E3. Now we have some obvious ones like Little Mac and Pac-Man. I am still a little skeptical towards the idea of Miis though (but there is something to support the theory). :093: :065:

peeup

Smash Lord
TL;DR- There is no way this was a coincidence. It would be irrational to disregard the list simply because it is not favorable. However, the list is a logical one. The gimmicky ones were revealed at E3. Now we have some obvious ones like Little Mac and Pac-Man. I am still a little skeptical towards the idea of Miis though (but there is something to support the theory). :093: :065:
I see where you're coming from. And obviously only time will tell if this guy was really right or not. I maintain healthy skepticism because technically it is possible that this man just had a very lucky guess. Statistically speaking, I have nooo idea if it's probable or not (idk how many people post predictions vs how many possible outcomes there were vs whatever???)....

Though I think even outside of this guy's predictions, Lil Mac is very likely and Pac-Man is fairly likely. Mii I thought was very likely, but I think it's much less likely now that we know of WFT's inclusion. Mii seems to me like it would fit the bill as the wtf hardware character (G&W and ROB), but Wii Fit Trainer fulfills this spot. One wtf hardware character is awesome, but I feel like any more than one would start to detract from other real characters who should get in.

CalumG

Smash Lord
As I understand it, there's no way this could be false, because not only did they predict the Wii Fit Trainer, they also predicted her name - it's only a small detail to be sure, but the Wii Fit Trainer was nameless before being put into Smash. They could've called her "Fitness Trainer", "Wii Fit Lady", "Wii Fit Woman" or any other number of names but the name they chose was the name she is actually being referred to in-game. Of course, even that wouldn't prove it correct because it could've just been a lucky coincidence, but then there's that coupled with the fact that they predicted Megaman/Villager.

That being said I don't know if that makes Little Mac, Pac-Man and Mii legitimate characters. It doesn't take a genius to see that the poster has clearly included a matching scapegoat character for every real character he has revealed. Mega-Man/Pac-Man are both 'obvious' third-party choices; Villager/Little Mac are both logical choices for first-party inclusions from as-of-yet-unrepresented franchises; and Wii Fit Trainer/Mii are both 'wtf' characters from the Wii generation that would cause quite a stir with the hardcore Smash crowd.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
TL;DR- There is no way this was a coincidence. It would be irrational to disregard the list simply because it is not favorable. However, the list is a logical one. The gimmicky ones were revealed at E3. Now we have some obvious ones like Little Mac and Pac-Man. I am still a little skeptical towards the idea of Miis though (but there is something to support the theory). :093::065:
Not really. The reason you didn't hear much talk about WFT is because most Smash players don't play or haven't played Wii Fit. Also, it's not impossible for someone to guess it. With thousands of people with different combinations of characters, some one was bound to get some of them. Note the guy said 6 characters, so only 3 of those were right.

Morbi

Scavenger
Not really. The reason you didn't hear much talk about WFT is because most Smash players don't play or haven't played Wii Fit. Also, it's not impossible for someone to guess it. With thousands of people with different combinations of characters, some one was bound to get some of them. Note the guy said 6 characters, so only 3 of those were right.
We can't be sure of that until the final roster is revealed. It could have been a guess. A damn good guess. Just like Little Mac or Pac-Man are damned good guesses. It doesn't really matter if he had insider knowledge. Most of the list appears pretty correct as of now. I mean I feel like Little Mac has great chances and Pac-Man is a given. Miis are the only ones I have doubt about. So if he just had a lucky guess... it doesn't really matter.

Tommy Ettinger

Smash Rookie
unsure which company owns castlevania right now but who would like to see simon belmont in the series?

Tommy Ettinger

Smash Rookie
I have nothing against pacman being in would be interesting to see the level they give him would be interesting to see the ghosts be involved in some way as obstacles to avoid some sort of homage to the retro games forget there names i know there's blinky inky and clyde? something like that lol

Tommy Ettinger

Smash Rookie
To the regard of levels I also wonder how they would do Little Macs stage would it just be a boxing ring or perhaps use the background of the NES game when hes training with doc Louis riding the bike I won't quote the meme for obvious reasons but the music would probably be the best bet for the stage bgm would like your guys thoughts on that?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
As I understand it, there's no way this could be false, because not only did they predict the Wii Fit Trainer, they also predicted her name - it's only a small detail to be sure, but the Wii Fit Trainer was nameless before being put into Smash. They could've called her "Fitness Trainer", "Wii Fit Lady", "Wii Fit Woman" or any other number of names but the name they chose was the name she is actually being referred to in-game. Of course, even that wouldn't prove it correct because it could've just been a lucky coincidence, but then there's that coupled with the fact that they predicted Megaman/Villager
I don't disagree with you, but I do find it odd that the poster nailed WFT's name, but referred to villager as "the guy from animal crossing"

This whole leak is fishy. I still halfway believe it, but there's a lot of questions around this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom