• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All newcomers were leaked along Little Mac, Pac Man and the Miis

Status
Not open for further replies.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
here a devil advocates conspiracy what if the spoiled newcomers are the only newcomers in this game?

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
I can't help but notice the potential pattern in showcasing these six different characters in two separate sets, given that the leak does end up to be true.

1st (already confirmed) Set: Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer
2nd (have yet to be revealed) Set: Mii, Pac-Man, and Little Mac

What do each character's "pair" partner share in terms of relativity?

"The Avatars" (Villager and Mii): Both of these characters are meant to represent the player.

"The Icons" (Mega Man and Pac-Man): Arguably two of the highest tiered gaming icons representing Capcom and Namco Bandai respectively. May also add that they are both "Man"s/Men.

"The Health-nuts" (Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac): Fitness Trainer and a Boxer. Can't get much healthier than that.

OVER-ANALYZING FTW

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I love that the boxing ring stage was shown, but none of the newcomers theorized to be in a boxing trailer...

trololololol

SonicMario

Smash Master
I can't help but notice the potential pattern in showcasing these six different characters in two separate sets, given that the leak does end up to be true.

1st (already confirmed) Set: Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer
2nd (have yet to be revealed) Set: Mii, Pac-Man, and Little Mac

What do each character's "pair" partner share in terms of relativity?

"The Avatars" (Villager and Mii): Both of these characters are meant to represent the player.

"The Icons" (Mega Man and Pac-Man): Arguably two of the highest tiered gaming icons representing Capcom and Namco Bandai respectively. May also add that they are both "Man"s/Men.

"The Health-nuts" (Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac): Fitness Trainer and a Boxer. Can't get much healthier than that.

OVER-ANALYZING FTW
You can also group them as

The 1st Party Characters (everyone/most people here) (wants/approve of) their inclusion (Villager and Little Mac)

The 3rd Parties (Megaman and Pac-Man)

The 1st Party characters based on the Wii Generation that's a little more mixed in reactions to their inclusion but will provide a healthy backing from the Casual Crowd for the game (Wii Fit Trainer and Miis)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
There are people who still believe this?
People are still super against Pac-Man and Mii, it's one of the reason they don't believe the leak.
But the leak is probably real.
Little Mac serves as the retro newcomer of the roster.
Pac-Man serves as a big gaming icon to be kept in the roster.
Mii serves as the customizable character of this game.
It all makes sense to me.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Can Little Mac still be considered a retro character?

Also, Mega Man pretty much already filled Pac-Man's "role".

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
People are still super against Pac-Man and Mii, it's one of the reason they don't believe the leak.
But the leak is probably real.
Little Mac serves as the retro newcomer of the roster.
Pac-Man serves as a big gaming icon to be kept in the roster.
Mii serves as the customizable character of this game.
It all makes sense to me.
It's probably not real. There is nothing that suggest it is. He stated these characters were to be shown off at E3 but it's been a few months with no sign of them. There is also the fact that Sakurai pretty much ruled out Pac-Man.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
look, the person could easily have made them up. i would, to be honest. get some inside info and then conjure up some of my own? heck yeah!

also, i'm against pac man and mii making it in, little mac is a meh. but here's my stance on any character i'm against: if they can make it work alright, be my guest guys, put 'em in. i'm prepared to eat my words, i did with villager

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
here a devil advocates conspiracy what if the spoiled newcomers are the only newcomers in this game?

I'm pretty sure this is true, actually. The info the leaker got was probably "all the new characters", but he misinterpreted it as "all the new characters announced at E3".

Sakurai told us a long time ago that the emphasis wasn't on roster expansion this time. Six characters sounds about right, when you consider that.

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
I'm pretty sure this is true, actually. The info the leaker got was probably "all the new characters", but he misinterpreted it as "all the new characters announced at E3".

Sakurai told us a long time ago that the emphasis wasn't on roster expansion this time. Six characters sounds about right, when you consider that.
I so hope it's not that way because with only 6 new characters which 3 of them being a humanoid character it just seem to be like a expansion rather then a true sequel.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I so hope it's not that way because with only 6 new characters which 3 of them being a humanoid character it just seem to be like a expansion rather then a true sequel.

Yeah, this is why I'm hoping that Smash goes the route of other fighting games and starts getting annual/bi-annual updates. 6 new characters is great, but after waiting almost 7 years? That's kinda rough. XD

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
that does not rule out pacman all that says is pacman will not get in just because namco is working on the game.
See what MorbidAltruism said. Basically, the main reason Pac-Man is even suggested is that Namco Bandia is working on the game. If Sakurai rules that out, there is nothing else the character has going for it.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
See what MorbidAltruism said. Basically, the main reason Pac-Man is even suggested is that Namco Bandia is working on the game. If Sakurai rules that out, there is nothing else the character has going for it.

I still wonder why they wouldn't add Pac though, at the moment he's going full force with a new lease on his gaming career and even that TV Show currently. Adding Pac would satisfy the whole world and both the new + old generation of gamers.

We have already MegaMan AND Sonic so why not go a one more step further to make SSB4 perhaps the best videogame gathering of all time?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I still wonder why they wouldn't add Pac though, at the moment he's going full force with a new lease on his gaming career and even that TV Show currently. Adding Pac would satisfy the whole world and both the new + old generation of gamers.

We have already MegaMan AND Sonic so why not go a one more step further to make SSB4 perhaps the best videogame gathering of all time?
A better question is why add Pac-Man. He suffers both in terms of popularity and moves. He has little interest in all regions. His popularity is non-existent in Japan and Namco discussion revolves around Tekken and Tales. In the west, it is still very lackluster. In terms of moves, Snake, Sonic and Megaman have very unique moves they pull from their games and differentiate themselves from the rest of the Nintendo cast. This is important because they are guest and with the hoops Sakurai has to go though getting them (legal, financial, and maintaining the content). Pac-Man distinctive ability, eating, is already covered by 4 characters (Yoshi, K. Dedede, Kirby and Wario). Other moves tend to reflect moves of other characters. Even worse, they tend to borrow from the character less popular games. The other characters pull from all their games. So why add a character this isn't Nintendo, isn't well liked, and doesn't even have distinguishable abilities. If Tecmo was making this, Pac-Man wouldn't even be brought up. This should tell you why he makes no sense. He is expected. Not wanted. There are plenty of other Nintendo characters who do a better job and would be easier to get.

As for him appeal to new and old gamers: I don't think he appeals to old players. People who played Pac-Man back in the 80s see Pac-Man as a pie graph. They see him in the same way as frogger. They wouldn't see him as an interesting character because all he does is eat and they don't care for the more recent games. Sales numbers will show you that Pac-Man has really struggled since the 80s which is why the company has put less and less focus on him. From what I've seen, the people who like Pac-Man, as a character, are kids. This is because the character is more recent to them, and since they didn't play the game in the 80s, they don't differentiate between new and old Pac-Man. There is a clear difference and a difference in the mind of consumers. Pac-Man's target audience is kids now. So who is going to want him in Smash? Kids. The older Pac-Man fans wouldn't want him because they understand Pac-Man is a circle who eats dots and doesn't fit in very well. Megaman already appeals to everyone that Pac-fans claim Pac-Man will appeal to.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
A better question is why add Pac-Man. He suffers both in terms of popularity and moves. He has little interest in all regions. His popularity is non-existent in Japan and Namco discussion revolves around Tekken and Tales. In the west, it is still very lackluster. In terms of moves, Snake, Sonic and Megaman have very unique moves they pull from their games and differentiate themselves from the rest of the Nintendo cast. This is important because they are guest and with the hoops Sakurai has to go though getting them (legal, financial, and maintaining the content). Pac-Man distinctive ability, eating, is already covered by 4 characters (Yoshi, K. Dedede, Kirby and Wario). Other moves tend to reflect moves of other characters. Even worse, they tend to borrow from the character less popular games. The other characters pull from all their games. So why add a character this isn't Nintendo, isn't well liked, and doesn't even have distinguishable abilities. If Tecmo was making this, Pac-Man wouldn't even be brought up. This should tell you why he makes no sense. He is expected. Not wanted. There are plenty of other Nintendo characters who do a better job and would be easier to get.

As for him appeal to new and old gamers: I don't think he appeals to old players. People who played Pac-Man back in the 80s see Pac-Man as a pie graph. They see him in the same way as frogger. They wouldn't see him as an interesting character because all he does is eat and they don't care for the more recent games. Sales numbers will show you that Pac-Man has really struggled since the 80s which is why the company has put less and less focus on him. From what I've seen, the people who like Pac-Man, as a character, are kids. This is because the character is more recent to them, and since they didn't play the game in the 80s, they don't differentiate between new and old Pac-Man. There is a clear difference and a difference in the mind of consumers. Pac-Man's target audience is kids now. So who is going to want him in Smash? Kids. The older Pac-Man fans wouldn't want him because they understand Pac-Man is a circle who eats dots and doesn't fit in very well. Megaman already appeals to everyone that Pac-fans claim Pac-Man will appeal to.
Yet Wii Fit Trainer had no popularity in terms of requests.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Pac-Man was requested during the pre-Brawl days too. Of course with Namco working on the game interest in the character has sparked up much more than before, but I do remember Pac-Man being a discussed subject pre-Brawl too.

Yet Wii Fit Trainer had no popularity in terms of requests.
She's the ocassional wtf character, like R.O.B and Mr. Game & Watch. Most other character that have been brought in have gotten in either due to being a retro, last minute clone, or as with the majority: they were requested characters.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Because an average cartoon and a mediocre shovelware title suddenly makes you the cream of the crop.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Pac-Man was requested during the pre-Brawl days too. Of course with Namco working on the game interest in the character has sparked up much more than before, but I do remember Pac-Man being a discussed subject pre-Brawl too.
No he wasn't. He never came up. If you look at Shorties poll in 2010, you'll see it at the bottom.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The way I see it, Little Mac is a classic character, and has a great chance.

Mii represents the Wii, one of Nintendo's greatest innovations. (Wait, isn't that all of Nintendo?) :p

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
No he wasn't. He never came up. If you look at Shorties poll in 2010, you'll see it at the bottom.
I recall Pac-man rarely being brought up, but NEVER dominated in any shape or form. He was just yet another possible third-party character that was brought up on rare occasions, but just like many of them, Pac-man was heavily overshadowed by Mega Man and Sonic. I recall Bomberman having stronger support actually...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Shortie Schmortie poll, I'm talking pre-Brawl where a lot of 3rd parties were talked about. Like Xenoblaze says though, he was mostly categorized alongside most other 3rd parties of course, being under the foot of Mega Man and Sonic, and even Bomber Man too, but the point was that he was brought up occasionally.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Shortie Schmortie poll, I'm talking pre-Brawl where a lot of 3rd parties were talked about. Like Xenoblaze says though, he was mostly categorized alongside most other 3rd parties of course, being under the foot of Mega Man and Sonic, and even Bomber Man too, but the point was that he was brought up occasionally.
Brought up like Toe Jam and Earl was brought up. Cloud and Master Chief were more popular than him. Pac-Man was never taken seriously.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Because an average cartoon and a mediocre shovelware title suddenly makes you the cream of the crop.
May I borrow your time machine, seeing as you somehow know that a game is mediocre when it hasn't been released yet?

Also, I've wanted Pac-Man since back in 2003, when Pac-Man VS. came out. He's a pretty cool guy. So that answers your question.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Oh yeah, I completely forgot that you're supposed to judge the entire game based on watching a short demo. Now hand me that book so I can judge it by its cover. :p

It actually looks a lot like Pac-Man World 2, which was pretty good. I'll wait for the reviews to see what the critics think before I make assumptions.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I know monday or tuesday is the momment of truth about pac man either gets confirmed or patience till final roster reveal and see if he made it

Also for the mii on halloween day in usa since wii party U comes out on halloween in japan

And little mac on november 21st for the punch out nes anniversary japan (if zelda gets confirmed early just like sonic little mac very likely to be revealed as well)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Oh yeah, I completely forgot that you're supposed to judge the entire game based on watching a short demo. Now hand me that book so I can judge it by its cover. :p
Forget having an opinion on a game before it's released. I can't say the game looks like a slow bland and uninspired 3D platformer. I have to shell out 50-60 bucks doing that. Forget making informed opinions.

It actually looks a lot like Pac-Man World 2, which was pretty good. I'll wait for the reviews to see what the critics think before I make assumptions.
In other words, an OK 3D Platformer. A rental, if you will.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Forget having an opinion on a game before it's released. I can't say the game looks like a slow bland and uninspired 3D platformer. I have to shell out 50-60 bucks doing that. Forget making informed opinions.
You can have an opinion, but you shouldn't state it as fact. We may THINK it's a mediocre title, but we won't know for sure until the game comes out.

In other words, an OK 3D Platformer. A rental, if you will.
Exactly, you can rent it and try it out before buying it. Then you can make an informed decision. Unless 3D Platformers aren't your thing.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Those arcade Mario Karts just NEED to be released on Virtual Console! They don't look as good as the console ones, but whatever. :awesome:

By your arguments, Megaman wouldn't be in either. Or Sonic, for that matter. These characters are requested more for their legacy than for being current top-sellers or having recent high-quality games.

That said, I think Pac-man's inclusion is a toss-up. IMO, he may be too difficult to do a moveset for.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You can have an opinion, but you shouldn't state it as fact. We may THINK it's a mediocre title, but we won't know for sure until the game comes out.
I was never stating it as fact. I post it so you can assume it my opinion. I'm not going to say "wow........so exciting, I say sarcastically as I signify my opinion of this game isn't high." I shouldn't have to spell it out for you. You should be smarter than this.
Exactly, you can rent it and try it out before buying it. Then you can make an informed decision. Unless 3D Platformers aren't your thing.
No, I mean the game is worth a rental at best. It's a waste of a purchase. 3/5. Get my drift.

Mario 3D World and Sonic Lost Worlds will be better 3D platformers and offer a better experience.[/quote][/quote]

These characters are requested more for their legacy than for being current top-sellers or having recent high-quality games.
These characters requested because people like them and believe they are part of Nintendo's history. Megaman is considered just as much of a Nintendo character as any to fans and everyone wants to see the rivalry of Sonic and Mario. Pac-Man doesn't have that kind of connection with Nintendo.

In otherwords, legacy for legacy's sake is not a factor.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Wow there is way too much Pac-Man hate here. I honestly wouldn't mind Pac-Man being included in the game and it would be fun to see how his cinematic trailer would be like. Perhaps it would include an eating contest between him and Kirby xD

Also, are we still debating Pac-Man's movesets potential? Ive seen so many possible movesets in the Pac-Man thread and most of them work really well. I think some of you should really visit it if you want to see a moveset list.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
The denial is strong on smash boards... if anything this rumor is probably TRUE given the simple fact that: No One Could Guess Wii Fit Trainer. I repeat, NO ONE.

The only thing making it "false" is that nintendo held off revealing 3 out of 6 known characters... this in no way debunks this as some rumor, its clearly a fact that someone actually saw/heard nintendo at E3 (while the game is actually being set up to be showcased) saying "villager wii fit trainer and megaman" are in the game.

and then boom they were, the fact is thats not all they heard they heard 3 more characters so seriously start accepting this as fact or be prepared for a rude awakening if your against pacman and mii's....most seem cool with mac regardless but honestly start bracing for these reveals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom