• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Hi. Saskatchewan here. It's looking likely that I'll be the only one who can/wants to make it for ABD3. I would be willing to travel by myself but it's a long as drive and parents johns so we'll see. You can pretty much confirm that none of us are coming. It really sucks.

sleak-

Smash Journeyman
Nooooo if Saskatchewan comes then what do we do
all you arthur
Hi. Saskatchewan here. It's looking likely that I'll be the only one who can/wants to make it for ABD3. I would be willing to travel by myself but it's a long as drive and parents johns so we'll see. You can pretty much confirm that none of us are coming. It really sucks.
heads up for ABD3 melee starts at friday at 1pm... we tried changing the date but could not... brawl however is on saturday so yaaaaaa

Hansel34

Smash Cadet
-Ic's have more options than ganondorf, like 3 pages of options. I'm not focused on grabbing people. People more scared of Downsmash.
Well, IC's does have a crapload of options, but what we're saying is. DON'T FOCUS ON THE OPTIONS!!!

I'm sure an amazing Ice climber player like Chudat... Hell even an amazing Melee player like Mango, could use like 2 moves ON IC's like bair and then D-Smash and only use 2 moves ( I Have no idea if those moves are good, but replace them with good moves LOL), and still completely **** us.

Why? Is it because they understand what Ice climbers can do and all their options perfectly? Well for Chudat probably, but no, also because they UNDERSTAND the range of the said move and in what circumstances that move will work and they will use that move in a situation where it will work. Or force the game into a situation where those 2 moves will work.

/ not sure if anyone just understood that.

tldr; Stop focusing on learning your options! Stop focusing on on learning tech skills so you can outspace people and "shffl or shl so i can work on poking people with uairs".

Because good players who understand the game will find a way to get around that. What you need to do is find a way to get around peoples moves, poking people with U-Air is merely a way to get around other peoples moves. Theres other options (Probably less safe/harder), but as long as you understand??

How the hell do you describe the chess-like mindgame state where you are just exploring each other's options and trying to find a opening... that brawl and melee (moreso brawl because its slower)

I dun make sense... But I spent too long writing that LOL

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
actually all the good and even some bad ic's players are constantly using new combinations of moves in different ways. even chu dat has SOME new stuff, im not going to just poke people on platforms with uair mindlessly, i just need more control so i dont land on the platform by accident cause that can be a stock. if you watch fly or wobbles you will not understand how they do certain things(but i understand everything i am seeing. even experienced melee players that commentate or post replies on youtube are contantly asking"how did he do that". i literally cannot name everyway to desync the climbers, and if i accidentally desync them i could lose nana. dont forget that ics are SLOW in everything but their WD. for example if i full hop i am heavily committed bcause my dair=cc punish and my slow air mobility. im sure you consider jump and doublejump ways of spacing around your opponent. these are both very risky for me and i still use them. i also tell anyone who wants to know how i landed a hit or how i did a desync in friendlies to help them improve, i actually go out of my way to lose just so calgary can get better. anexample is matt, when i first played matt i dont think he could beat me and he was very confused about ics, with all the instruction i have given him he beats me easily. can someone give me some ****ing useful advice about how they beat me. telling me to learn when to use my moves is just telling me to play more with people which is kinda difficult considering everyone is LAZY AS **** (matt disclaimer)

Tyson651

Smash Lord
In teams I just hit you cause usually you're just sitting there waiting or sitting there shielding. You rarely move around, and you rarely approach. So all I do is approach you with a safe move then rush down if I get in.

Something that could counter that would be wavedash back to fsmash/dsmash, or wavedash back out of shield to w/e.

:phone:

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
thank you tyson for your valuable insight, i play considerably different in teams but this still helps me in singles. i know i dont approach much and i have been trying to approach more in singles, i just need to pick my times better and not just wd in with a smash everytime.i dont really know how to use my dash and walk effectively so i often stand still just cause there is no room to wd in teams and also horrible cc dsmash habits in teams(that why im always sd'ing with dair atfer being pushed off).

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Well, IC's does have a crapload of options, but what we're saying is. DON'T FOCUS ON THE OPTIONS!!!

I'm sure an amazing Ice climber player like Chudat... Hell even an amazing Melee player like Mango, could use like 2 moves ON IC's like bair and then D-Smash and only use 2 moves ( I Have no idea if those moves are good, but replace them with good moves LOL), and still completely **** us.

Why? Is it because they understand what Ice climbers can do and all their options perfectly? Well for Chudat probably, but no, also because they UNDERSTAND the range of the said move and in what circumstances that move will work and they will use that move in a situation where it will work. Or force the game into a situation where those 2 moves will work.

/ not sure if anyone just understood that.

tldr; Stop focusing on learning your options! Stop focusing on on learning tech skills so you can outspace people and "shffl or shl so i can work on poking people with uairs".

Because good players who understand the game will find a way to get around that. What you need to do is find a way to get around peoples moves, poking people with U-Air is merely a way to get around other peoples moves. Theres other options (Probably less safe/harder), but as long as you understand??

How the hell do you describe the chess-like mindgame state where you are just exploring each other's options and trying to find a opening... that brawl and melee (moreso brawl because its slower)

I dun make sense... But I spent too long writing that LOL
what should I do in Brawl

ie. with my character

In teams I just hit you cause usually you're just sitting there waiting or sitting there shielding. You rarely move around, and you rarely approach. So all I do is approach you with a safe move then rush down if I get in.

Something that could counter that would be wavedash back to fsmash/dsmash, or wavedash back out of shield to w/e.

what should I do in teams

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
what should I do in teams
run into my cc dsmash more so i never drop that horrible habit
seriously the mindset u have about sucking in teams is the biggest thing holding you back you already play the best team char.
also this ma be contrary to what u have heard but stop thinking so much about your teammate, you seem to be so worried about hitting your teammate that u dont approach and when u dont approach u laser which just leaves you setup for failure while your teammate is getting doubleteamed. take this advice with caution tho cause i have been on your team;) it seems everytime u hit your teammate youremotions take over cause u r dissappointed in yourself and say sorry when it does not make any difference. if you did not lose your cool everytime you hit your teammate you would be a much stronger teams partner, do not ingore your teammate like you did when u started playing teams. also some times waiting is not a bad thing in stead of lasering

SWEET BRO

Smash Rookie
wait is abd3 this friday? cause i think i could probably make it

but im p sure i lost my controller

SWEET BRO

Smash Rookie
ultra weak

edit: i could probably kick it in edmontonn till the 10th, but who wants to stay in edmonton lol

Taste

Smash Apprentice
so maybe I journey up with paul and crew to alberta beatdown, and we reschedule our august tourney to a day when Saskatchewan can attend? Maybe provide a little incentive? ie, hookers

Geenareeno could Saskatchewan pop over the week afterwards?

Hansel34

Smash Cadet
what should I do in Brawl
Make sure you know how to use his moves to recover ( He can literally get to the stage from ANYWHERE) Down B > Side B > JUMP > Up B . Literally all his B moves can move you up.

Jab combo's into stuff. Jab> Nair etc. Jab is like super easy to land, and it goes into like all his moves. Just use his First Jab though.

F-Smash is Strong. He has stupid strong smashes.

His really floaty and strong in the air. His dair spikes I think. His bair is awesome. His fair is awesome. His Uair is awesome. HIS NAIR IS REALLY AWESOME.

You have Fire ballls.

tldr; stay in the air spam c-stick in air, spam c-stick on ground. and jab alot.

Brawl in general. Air dodge alot. Side step alot. Side step op in brawl. Don't be too predictable but its better in brawl < Atleast I think it is LOL.

T-block

B2B TST
yeah spotdodge is much better in brawl, but i wouldn't go so far as to advise people to use it a lot xP

luigi should scare the **** out of his opponent at close range. jab>up-b, jab>grab, jab>jab gives him strong mixup, and you have that n-air which gets you out of pressure strings and has little landing lag.

you need to deal with other characters being able to keep you out of close range fairly easily though. bad air speed makes it hard for him to approach, to the point where walk>slide>jab is one of his better approaches.

not the best character for a rushdown melee player to go for if you ask me, but whatever makes you happy

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
yeah spotdodge is much better in brawl, but i wouldn't go so far as to advise people to use it a lot xP

luigi should scare the **** out of his opponent at close range. jab>up-b, jab>grab, jab>jab gives him strong mixup, and you have that n-air which gets you out of pressure strings and has little landing lag.

you need to deal with other characters being able to keep you out of close range fairly easily though. bad air speed makes it hard for him to approach, to the point where walk>slide>jab is one of his better approaches.

not the best character for a rushdown melee player to go for if you ask me, but whatever makes you happy
I didn't ever really consider myself that rushdown in Melee, but I just liked Luigi cause he could combo pretty well in Brawl

I liked the way you need to space his aerials because it feels doable with his physics, unlike other characters for me who feel awkward. I was told of jab up b, grabbing is one thing I rarely do cause I automatically try to JC it and I end up jumping. Jab d-smash seems to work but I can't seem to do it consistently because I always end up found the triple A combo or d-tilt

I love falling delayed aerials

And also Tyson, do I poke in teams with a space animal or do I go aggro
And what character should I play in teams

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
lol@ d3's sidestep
anyone interested in smash on sunday, not sure if anyone has another place to host but as always i can.
maybe daniel could book a room at u of c?

Tyson651

Smash Lord
And also Tyson, do I poke in teams with a space animal or do I go aggro
And what character should I play in teams

the way i see teams is 1 rush down and 1 passive. everyone will have different views in teams but thats how i view it. i find that 2 passives wind up trying to hide behind each other and puts each other in really bad positioning, and 2 aggros wind up hitting each other a lot because neither of them hold back.

usually when i play with people, i tend to go take the passive role (hence why i play jiggs) and play defensive and supportive of my partner. also why i usually team up with very aggro teammates (allan, joel, levi, etc.) and it tends to work well.

so its really up to you. what you like to do, rush down? or sit back and and support? personally i see you as a rush down guy, and especially when you play your falco/fox (since thats all you can play).

edit: but keep in mind when its like two 1v1s on the other side of the map, you can play passive/aggro or w/e, its just when you are close enough that you have to make that decision of watching or going at that instant.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
I play Brawl with tapjump on. For dat Squirtle tech-skill.

so maybe I journey up with paul and crew to alberta beatdown, and we reschedule our august tourney to a day when Saskatchewan can attend? Maybe provide a little incentive? ie, hookers

Geenareeno could Saskatchewan pop over the week afterwards?
Actually I have to talk to someone, since it's on Friday we might be able to come up Thursday and then leave Friday after the tourney. When would it be over. And I know you're from Calgary but are people in Edmonton willing to house/smash on Thursday the 9th? That would be a pretty good plan. The weekend after that we all have plans and the one after that is highly unlikely. Only 2/3.5 smash players actually like it enough to travel and the one that isn't me works on weekends so it's complicated...

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
Tyson: They're one of my favourite candies lol.

I usually don't mind hosting out-of-towners, and I wouldn't mind hosting you guys, but I'm at Folk Fest that night.

Like... if you don't mind coming over at midnight you could definitely stay at my house. I won't mind. Up to you guys though.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
If anyone would like to play on sunday, please let me know what works for u.
also brad, any spoilers on what u r planning for the calgary smash community?
if you dont want to talk about it thats ok;)

Top Bottom