• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Yeah it was still a good learning experience though, like not just 3 platforms to combo and laser off of, it was something different

but now I need to go back to Allan ****** me to get better lol

either way, everyone in Calgary gives a different feeling to play against so it's cool

EDIT: I just watched the entire Apex 2012 set between Dan and Isai
Set 2 Part 2 got so serious

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
We mentioned it quite a bit, but as always, we assume since no questions were asked, everyone knew because it's been posted here quite a bit.

Sorry about that.

On the bright side, the rules and setup was quite dreadful and it would not have been a proper smash experience.

ANYWAYS, it was good you did come out, even if not for the tournament, you put on a good show for a new guy.

Hopefully you didn't get *****

sleak-

Smash Journeyman
so lanified was today, only 5 ppl showed up but even then the organizer still paid first 2nd 3rd (60$/40$/20$) which is amazing prize pools , woulda been more had more ppl came, props to bloody iron for hosting, the tournament itself was amazing it had amazing organization, plenty of space, provided with name tag lanyards, had a concession very well done. with that said im a little disappointed that no one came i mean with the small community we have i think we should embrace and support any melee related event, even if the rules are a bit differnt hopefully next time lanified hosts again we should all attend!

Rush

Smash Apprentice
I think most prevalent reason is that most of us were just exhausted to go from the day before, and had planned to go. The reality with smashers is that if they are travelling they want to be there for a long period time for things other than just tourney matches. Including Brawl alongside would be really smart too since we have people who do both...methinks. Can't really force people to go if there don't like the rules though, no one wants to be out after one game. I would like to see future events from them too, sounded fun.. What were the results anyways?

Quaff

Smash Rookie
Well I definitely would've gone if I knew about it. I guess I just wasn't paying enough attention to catch on that there was going to be an event today.

I also looked up some advanced melee guides, so I'm going to be practicing on a lot of things for next month.

Also, can I ask who everyone is? The only person I know is Ben, as Taste. All of the rest of you are hidden behind your usernames :p. And in case you didn't catch on, I'm Matt, new guy who came yesterday.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
I think most prevalent reason is that most of us were just exhausted to go from the day before, and had planned to go. The reality with smashers is that if they are travelling they want to be there for a long period time for things other than just tourney matches. Including Brawl alongside would be really smart too since we have people who do both...methinks. Can't really force people to go if there don't like the rules though, no one wants to be out after one game. I would like to see future events from them too, sounded fun.. What were the results anyways?
I think the results were
1. Paul
2. Simon
3. That one guy who came to the U of C tournament and played a decent Falco but left early

sleak-

Smash Journeyman
that's true about the 1 game knock out , like i tried to tell the host about doing the double eliminations possibly with pools but the main problem was time, but he said next time hes gonna make more time for melee and possibly go with a different format, more like a huge round robin type tournament.
results
1.me
2.simon
3.groose- this unknown falco player that really knew how to play and had solid tech skill

Rush

Smash Apprentice
Well I definitely would've gone if I knew about it. I guess I just wasn't paying enough attention to catch on that there was going to be an event today.

I also looked up some advanced melee guides, so I'm going to be practicing on a lot of things for next month.

Also, can I ask who everyone is? The only person I know is Ben, as Taste. All of the rest of you are hidden behind your usernames :p. And in case you didn't catch on, I'm Matt, new guy who came yesterday.
Most of the time people don't do intros and just meet and play. That's how much of us know each other. I could describe all our regulars imo if your want haha. (I'm Daniel..I play Fox.. and push buttons. I played quite a few friendlies with you guys before lunchtime.)

that's true about the 1 game knock out , like i tried to tell the host about doing the double eliminations possibly with pools but the main problem was time, but he said next time hes gonna make more time for melee and possibly go with a different format, more like a huge round robin type tournament.
results
1.me
2.simon
3.groose- this unknown falco player that really knew how to play and had solid tech skill
Hmm I think most people are concerned about double elimination and best of series. I mean we are even fine with random brackets. Pools are very nice but not completed needed. DANG I could of maybe gotten 3rd LOLOL.

Taste

Smash Apprentice
So currently for Sunday the 24th, I can't get a room later than from 9-3. Hurp.

We could look around for another venue but we might have to pay. Or we could get someone to host. Before anyone leaps up to say I will, I'd like to talk it over, like we'd need tvs n stuff.

Another thought. We could also just wrap at 3 and then all c-train to crowfoot for a movie or do something else. Any ideas?

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Are you guys gonna arrange anything for the Sask people then? :V

Maybe if it's big enough, Edmonton might get interested again \o/.

Taste

Smash Apprentice
There is a day. Saskatchewan, show up on July 21st. There's a tournament from 10-8 at the University of Calgary. Melee AND Brawl.

Link to Tournament Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=321897#

SPREAD THE WORD AND BRING YO A-GAME CAUSE CALGARY GONNA FLATTEN SASKATCHEWAN (IF THATS EVEN POSSIBLE CAUSE THEY ALREADY SO FLAT)sick burn

Rush

Smash Apprentice
I'll started uploading soon. Some important notes. Some videos (I think 3?) had to be deleted to make room for GFs as uncompressed videos take so much room =\. They were done at random (except Ben vs Mo which was by request lol) so don't yell at me ^.^ There's a messed up part during the second half of James vs Colin in crews. Other than that everything looks good. I'll probably try to bring an external hard drive next time.....

Taste

Smash Apprentice
I just peeked @ the first match you uploaded. Man, that whole mic setup worked out really well and clear! great job! It makes it infinitely better to watch these games while we hear our banter.

WHY DELETE MY MATCHES VS MO **** YOU GUYS JUST CAUSE I SLOW AND STEADY PPL BE HATING. LOL srs tho it makes me a lil sad. Every other match of me is gonna be me getting bodied

Rush

Smash Apprentice
Hmm yeah I tried increasing in the input already.. might have to find a way to bring it up more. Looking at it, I didn't have as much videos as I thought (maybe I had to remove more to make space for crews?).

For some reason though I have Ben vs Lvl 9 Peach...

Taste

Smash Apprentice
What are you talking about I DEMAND THAT MATCH UPLOADED IMMEDIATELY

I wanna see the fear in her eyes

Quaff

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, the schedule part of the link that Ben posted says that there's another tourney this Saturday, can anyone confirm this?

Taste

Smash Apprentice
Great work Daniel!

Matt, I forgot to update that, 23rd has been canceled. Looks like we'll be doing a smashfest from 9-3 on Sunday the 24th tho.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Paul, very much this.

On top of that, sketchy hosting who doesn't know what he's doing do honestly just SEEMS like it'd be ****ty. Especially cause melee wasn't the focus. good to hear that it was great.

Big stupid red hair

Man I so want to see those tournament videos

I want to see how I got scrubbed on Poke Floats, Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar lol
I don't see why you think brinstar is bad, every spacies I'ev ever played does better on brinstar than I do.

God my Fox is so bad
Complains!

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Hey guys, the schedule part of the link that Ben posted says that there's another tourney this Saturday, can anyone confirm this?
I was the one who won the tournament trolololol

Asian melee player with glasses was me

Daniel you played the quaff guy right
How was he

Ben I still owe you for door fee right

:phone:

Rush

Smash Apprentice
I was the one who won the tournament trolololol

Asian melee player with glasses was me

Daniel you played the quaff guy right
How was he

Ben I still owe you for door fee right

Uhh I would say pretty good for new person. Some techskill. Pretty much Colin level falco with a bit more techskill. Watching Tom's video again... he could easily improve if he'd just stop spamming his bad habits...easily fixable.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Uhh I would say pretty good for new person. Some techskill. Pretty much Colin level falco with a bit more techskill. Watching Tom's video again... he could easily improve if he'd just stop spamming his bad habits...easily fixable.
I agree thoroughly about Tom. He needs to think before he attacks

IMO he's always so close to **** cause his combos are OK, but getting the setup in the first place.is rare and executing them consistently isn't there

I don't think he understands the whole DD outside an attack range and then grab the lag

Top Bottom