• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

kithkin

Smash Champion
I'll talk to Levi, but he's been anti hosting for a bit. He's near a train station kinda.

Also, The brawl - melee ratio is this.

The experienced players like melee, the fresh guys like brawl.

I am kinda half and half, I've been in the scene fr a long time but suck at melee, conveiniently I like both melee and Brawl.

I honestly would love to host a calgary tournament, but I lack most of what I need to do so, but maybe if Randall ever finds himself then I can work together to get something from him.

kithkin

Smash Champion
Also lol that once we change the name so it doesn't say central canada anymore all the albertans show up, silly.

But yeah, I might be able to host a small thing some day for all the newcomers cause it'd be nice to meet you all, there sure is a lot of you.

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
How many people here(in this thread) play Brawl anyways? From what I can tell it's about half-half? (Ratio of melee to brawl players...?)
Let's see...

Lemonlau - Both
FalseFalco - Both
Superboom - Both
Alphicans - Both
Afterdawn - Brawl
Tyson - Both
KonkeyDong - Both
Jarrod - Both
Solaris - Both
Janitor - Melee
Beeble - Melee
Killock - Brawl
Kithkin - Both
Levi - Melee

But those boths prefer melee w/the exception of Kithkin and Superboom. This does not account for the people who don't regularly post but still donate money to the brawl pot at tourneys.

Don't forget Battlefield's reduced gravity.
Ummm... Fail...

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Doesn't Jack prefer Melee and Brawl? He was talking to me on the ride home the other day that he still likes melee. =/

kithkin

Smash Champion
Wait did you ust say I prefer barrels over melee?

-_- I havn't played brawl since ADAT (except once like right after I think at levi's with chad since e wanted to and we hadn't played yet)

I've actually only been playing melee, and roy for that matter.

edit: but yeah I like both of them so don't sway my side.

DMK.

Smash Journeyman
I'm right now in negotations with my contacts about a venue for a possible tourney in Edm at some point in the near future.(Brawl definintly, Melee too possibly)

With my connections, it's possible I could get a very nice venue for a day for $60. Networking ftw.

Ilex

Smash Ace
No johns. There are two people (Solaris and RL Prodigy) who started playing melee competitively when they around 10 years old. :p
Haha, fine. I'll go blow the dust off my Melee disc and unlock all the characters again >>
You know you're a noob when you have a Brawl-experienced opinion of Melee, not a Melee-experienced opinion of Brawl xD
kithkin said:
But yeah, I might be able to host a small thing some day for all the newcomers cause it'd be nice to meet you all, there sure is a lot of you.
That would be awesome.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
So I just got back from camping all week and I have a couple things to say regarding spam and most people in this thread

Now that that's settled I'm glad to see a new member of our community had a good time smashing with people (does he play samus? shawn 2.0?), and I'm also glad to see he lives so close to me :)

Regarding Brawl vs. Melee: I'm probably the most anti brawl poster in this thread (actually beeble probably takes that award) but although I strongly dislike the game, I try to give it some respect and make brawl players feel welcome into our community regardless of how much of a **** game I think it is. Brawl isn't going away, and really it doesn't deserve to.

I feel this thread in particular is hostile toward people who play Brawl competitively. Things like "experienced players play Melee, beginners play Brawl" is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I'd like that to change, but I don't really have the power to change it. I'm asking all of you to help me do that. Preferences should be respected, polite debate should be welcome, and each game should recognized as part of the smash family.

However, this kind of respect will by no means prevent me from jumping down your throat with my opinion if you say something along the lines of "brawl rivals melee in competitive depth" or "I mean't to footstool you there" or "tripping is a balanced game mechanic".

Be advised.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Let's see...

Lemonlau - Both
FalseFalco - Both
Superboom - Both
Alphicans - Both
Afterdawn - Brawl
Tyson - Both
KonkeyDong - Both
Jarrod - Both
Solaris - Both
Janitor - Melee
Beeble - Melee
Killock - Brawl
Kithkin - Both
Levi - Melee

But those boths prefer melee w/the exception of Kithkin and Superboom. This does not account for the people who don't regularly post but still donate money to the brawl pot at tourneys.
I actually like Melee more than Brawl, I just never play it.

kithkin

Smash Champion
I never said the brawl players were bad, they're just new to the community.

Look at the stats, the people you saw here before brawl was out tend to like melee,

and vice versa.

edit: victorbetter lols, look at my sig.

kithkin

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure Levi is the king of sandbagging, like for sandbagging when more than pride is on the line.

I've sandbagged a few times when it was serious, and I took punishment for it.

So.

DMK.

Smash Journeyman
Gee, I am just awed at all the support/positivsm I'm seeing for my possible tourney.

:laugh:

On a srs note, I went and examined it tonight. Tons of power outlets, at least one TV included, possibly a wall projector, and lots of awesome black leather armchairs to smash on. Plus foosball!

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
So I just got back from camping all week and I have a couple things to say regarding spam and most people in this thread

I missed you.

Now that that's settled I'm glad to see a new member of our community had a good time smashing with people (does he play samus? shawn 2.0?), and I'm also glad to see he lives so close to me :)
Yes he lives close, but I'm gonna say no to the samus thing. He kinda does like I kinda do, so no. His marth has a lot of potential though.

Regarding Brawl vs. Melee: I'm probably the most anti brawl poster in this thread (actually beeble probably takes that award) but although I strongly dislike the game, I try to give it some respect and make brawl players feel welcome into our community regardless of how much of a **** game I think it is. Brawl isn't going away, and really it doesn't deserve to.

I feel this thread in particular is hostile toward people who play Brawl competitively. Things like "experienced players play Melee, beginners play Brawl" is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I'd like that to change, but I don't really have the power to change it. I'm asking all of you to help me do that. Preferences should be respected, polite debate should be welcome, and each game should recognized as part of the smash family.

However, this kind of respect will by no means prevent me from jumping down your throat with my opinion if you say something along the lines of "brawl rivals melee in competitive depth" or "I mean't to footstool you there" or "tripping is a balanced game mechanic".

Be advised.
This is the kind of stuff as to why I missed you. <3. Best award ever. That being said, I do respect those who manage to play the game well, and there are a fair number in Edmonton. THAT being said, brawl is so so so so BAD. Come back to us Dan!

Well, you did spend a week brawli- camping. :p Tomorrow prob. Just gimme a call, I'll be leaving on the 25th.

780 406 8024
Lame. You leave the day before Levi get's here.

PS. Sid is hosting Levi, ergo there will be smash at sid's sometime next week w/levi.

I actually like Melee more than Brawl, I just never play it.
I sense a fundamental issue here... You have luke, he will train you.

Gee, I am just awed at all the support/positivsm I'm seeing for my possible tourney.

On a srs note, I went and examined it tonight. Tons of power outlets, at least one TV included, possibly a wall projector, and lots of awesome black leather armchairs to smash on. Plus foosball!
Yay for *brawl* tourney I won't be here for. Sorry, that was rude. In all honesty it is great to see new faces hosting tourneys instead of waiting 365 days for the next CT incarnation.

Levi5

Smash Ace

Fuck yeah foosball

Also lol @ you people using the no characters trick.

DMK.

Smash Journeyman
So, quick informal survey - I'm thinking of restricting my first tourney to two events.

Brawl singles+doubles or Brawl singles/Melee singles?

Also Beeble, are you moving away or something?

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
Singles for both, preferably w/melee first so 1) victor might actually play in a tournament, 2) melee will have a decent turnout. Let's be honest, brawl will have a decent turnout if it's the second of the day, where as if melee is second it becomes a stupidly small pool of people that could have just gathered in sid/carl's basement.

Yeah. I am going to Toronto to do my Bmus in jazz performance at U of T. No CAST4 or this tourney of yours :(

kithkin

Smash Champion
It's not even a trick.

It's just funny to use a new one as soon as they find out how to use the one we were using.

Dude sounds like a nice set up DMK, I'm not against it I'm just bleh traveling every time I hardly even make it anwyays.

lol Isn't levi not going for smash anyways? (don't take that as me saying he wont smash, just asking)

ColinJF

Smash Ace
I'd rather have Brawl first if you do Brawl and Melee, if only for the selfish reason that I would rather not wait for Melee to finish... but I imagine I am in the minority here. If Brawl is the main event it should probably be first though.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I'd rather have Brawl first if you do Brawl and Melee, if only for the selfish reason that I would rather not wait for Melee to finish... but I imagine I am in the minority here. If Brawl is the main event it should probably be first though.
If Brawl was the main event, it would make sense if it was second. Ex: Doubles before Singles

Plus, Melee needs to be first this time. Otherwise, Red Deer won't be coming to this.

Top Bottom