• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

ColinJF

Smash Ace
There's a reason I said I was doing "research". We have like 600+ trials, complete with chi-square analysis, etc. I know what I'm doing here.

I probably shouldn't get you guys too excited though in case I don't get around to publishing it... which is looking probable at this point since we're having a hard time narrowing down the exact nature of the relationship. (This is the tabulated data so far.)

FalseFalco

Smash Master
There's a reason I said I was doing "research". We have like 600+ trials, complete with chi-square analysis, etc. I know what I'm doing here.

I probably shouldn't get you guys too excited though in case I don't get around to publishing it... which is looking probable at this point since we're having a hard time narrowing down the exact nature of the relationship. (This is the tabulated data so far.)
Each game picks its random variable from something in the game data that changes every match (total games played, total percentage). Who knows what it is, but for the best results, test on different copies of the game to compensate for anything that might be coincidence within your own copy of the game.

DMK.

Smash Journeyman
Nice logic DMK. I was thinking similar thoughts. Also, it would be impossible to tell if this is true... No amount of testing could prove this. Due to it being random, even if it picked Toon link 5 times in a row, and then bowser the 6th time, it doesn't mean it's picking toon link because I play him a lot, it's because I got lucky. I can see this theory getting shot down in flames.
The whole basis of modern science is that it's impossible to state anything with 100% confidence. The 'theories' that drive our understanding of the world are simply the best hypotheses available to explain the data we know, and are only good as long as nobody finds something to disprove them.

That said, there are ways to reduce the uncertainity though. The simplest is to increase the number of trials. In your example, you use 6 trials. No scientist would accept such a low sample as proof. A interesting feature is that the more trials you run, the closer you get to a truly accurate measure. This is why Colin's already got 600 trials.

This is also why big surveys always report their results as "accurate to within x percentage points, 19 times out of 20".

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
The whole basis of modern science is that it's impossible to state anything with 100% confidence. The 'theories' that drive our understanding of the world are simply the best hypotheses available to explain the data we know, and are only good as long as nobody finds something to disprove them.

That said, there are ways to reduce the uncertainity though. The simplest is to increase the number of trials. In your example, you use 6 trials. No scientist would accept such a low sample as proof. A interesting feature is that the more trials you run, the closer you get to a truly accurate measure. This is why Colin's already got 600 trials.
110 % agreed, you basically hit every nail right in that post.

By the way everybody, Smash at Luke's on the weekend (I think).

P.S. Levi, you know a guy called Moses?

Ony

Smash Rookie
Lawl at playing brawl.

And moses is the dude who split the water and with the 10 commandments and stuff.. but i betcha the guy levi went to school with didnt do none of this.... or did he.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Kage just talked to me and he says he will be buying plane tickets soon, so he needs to know who he can carpool with from Edmonton/Calgary. If you're willing to ride with the beast, lemme know. Thanks guys!

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Kage just talked to me and he says he will be buying plane tickets soon, so he needs to know who he can carpool with from Edmonton/Calgary. If you're willing to ride with the beast, lemme know. Thanks guys!
Next month I'll let you know (hence why I haven't confirmed CAST4 registration yet) if I have access to a car. If I do, I'd be more than happy to carpool a few guys to Red Deer.

(Assuming that they trust an asian to drive, ha)

Levi5

Smash Ace
Most of Calgary's smashers can't drive.

Pretty much there's Randall, Kevin, and Jeremy. Soon Alex will be able to... We hope.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Alright, so I am thinking smash at my place on Saturday. Anyone is welcome. Melee only (sorry DMK, Colin, and Jarret). My house is never in abundance of snacks, so ya know... If you wanna come, tell me on msn at Koolerthanu@hotmail.com for my address and phone # and whatnot.

Someone needs to bring a wii and melee. Someone could bring a TV I guess, but I would imagine 2 tv's would be enough.

Oh and I almost forgot, you have to leave by 6.

kithkin

Smash Champion
What do you use to open a chest?
KEN COMBO!

Ken combo is 17 24 65

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPS: I might even end up driving before Alex can lol, I would alraedyif my parents didn't have a problem with me paying insurance (they dont want to, yet don't want me to either)

PPPPPPPPX3S: Don't apologize for melee ony luke, there will be brawl only eventually, it'll appen they host hings that way.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
And Ken was behind (in terms of time) too. lol.

P.S. Paloma got wrecked. Good riddance.

P.P.S. My dad was watching the gay guy talk and he asked me "is this guy fruity?" I laughed so hard

He's pretty open about it; it's not like theres anything he's trying to hide

I love bob so much

I want to see bob vs ken in finals

weightlifting challenge or some ****

Levi5

Smash Ace
I want to see bob vs ken in finals
weightlifting challenge or some ****
That reminds me of when the chick had to cut through some rope to light a torch in a challange in a previous season and she couldn't and I rofl'd

Last edited:

kithkin

Smash Champion
My keyboard sucks, so it misses letters.

I'm not trying to start a fuss, all I'm saying is that (although nice of him,) he shouldn't really be apologizing for doing melee only, since there will be and if I'm not mistaken, has been, brawl only things.

Basically you shouldn't have to apologize for just having one.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I am just saying sorry for creating an environment that pretty much excludes them. If they held brawl only, I would come as well, because I play brawl too.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
My keyboard sucks, so it misses letters.

I'm not trying to start a fuss, all I'm saying is that (although nice of him,) he shouldn't really be apologizing for doing melee only, since there will be and if I'm not mistaken, has been, brawl only things.

Basically you shouldn't have to apologize for just having one.
Who cares, there are only 2 tvs in Luke's basement, why waste one with Brawl?

Also, i'm coming to Edmonton on Friday unti Monday. Smash anyone?

Top Bottom