• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alaska(friend codes in first post)

Xanskar

Smash Lord
man i wish i could be cool like che lab and wake up late again
sucks waking up at 10am and falling asleep at 8pm-midnight

DaemonFang

Smash Lord
i hate all of u, i go out and plan ****, and then everyone ****ing cancels. and now i have to go out and ****ing play football. cuz its the only alternative.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
I would go to a smashfest if someone would host one.

We should start to have like Biweeklies or something like that. Making them more official and routine would make it easier for new people to join.

DaemonFang

Smash Lord
"Ten years ago, in tears, you turned your beloved dog over to the Bellevue Humane Society. You had to move and your 3 year old dog could not go with you. The workers said that you (a man) cried as you left her there. You even told the folks at the humane society that she was half chow, half lab...One look at this fuzzy brindle pooch and you knew there was no such thing as a brindle chow OR lab..but there are brindle pitbulls...with a pit face, funny looking tiger stripes and lots of fur, I'm certain you thought this was going to be the end of the line for her.

What you need to know is that my best friend adopted her. My friend called me and said, "now, you have to get past her looks...she REALLY is sweet." Sure enough, she was sweet and for the next 10 years of her life lived the life you had hoped she would have. Her life was filled with swims, playmates, early morning walks, car rides, hikes and lots of love. She died in her bereaved owner's arms last Saturday, succumbing to the affects of advanced liver disease.

When she was adopted, it was obvious she had been loved and cared for..impeccible manners, good basic training and she really wanted to please. I hope you see this post so that you know that you did the right thing in surrendering her and can stop wondering. She lived the life she deserved. "

from craigslist. i cried...

Xanskar

Smash Lord
you're bad
if you type in no caps (where you put jason's in a) you dont have to type caps caps caps caps

and its because
i am amazing

hm if i edit the post within like 1 minute of posting, it doesnt say i edited it

Xanskar

Smash Lord
man i post too much, i started this account in march and im already at almost 300 posts ehhhh

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
you got offline before i told you

but i got a 3 day ban for my viral thread

claiming that i was the best lock on the server is considered trolling nowadays

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
ill hold something i guess if enough people are interested
also, just got 4 wisdom teeth pulled out
so im on oxycontin and it feels amazing.

holla if u wanna smash

Captain Alaska

Smash Apprentice
Good post:

I would like to play smash brothers in 3 or 4 days.

How are you doing Jordan? if you still come to this page occasionally

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Explanation of EXACTLY what buffer is:

(Originally written by someone who isn't me)

One of the most common things newcomers to Brawl+ become confused about is the inclusion of a custom “buffer”. This “buffer” is often the cause of many complaints and misunderstandings. Many newcomers don’t understand what it is, which leads to the feeling of “laggy jumps” or “ignored inputs”. This article is for those of you who don’t understand buffer, or for those who want to learn more.

Now, first of all, let’s define buffer. Buffer is the execution of a command which is inputted before you are actually able to perform it. The buffer window is the length of time in which you can input the move and have it still execute.

Don’t understand? Allow me to explain it more clearly:

Whenever you use a move, there is a certain amount of lag at the end where you have to wait for the animation to finish. During this lag, you are still technically carrying out the move, meaning you are not allowed to do anything else in the meantime. If you try inputting another move while this lag is happening, nothing will happen because you’re still executing the move. In order to use another move, you have to wait until the lag is over and the move is fully complete before you can input it.

However, this is where buffer comes in. What buffer does is create a tiny “window” of time at the end of every move and animation, where inputs are still counted even though the move is going on. If you input any move or action within that timespan, the move or action will be carried out on the first frame possible as soon as the lag ends. This means that instead of having to input moves after the previous moves are done, you can input them at the very last second of the previous move to have the next move instantly come out.

This timespan, or “window”, is a variable amount depending on the game; for example, Melee has a “window” of 0 frames, whereas Brawl has a “window” of 10 frames. That essentially means that in Melee, in order to use another move, the first move had to be finished COMPLETELY. However, in Brawl, you had a window of 10 frames in which to input a second move at the end of your first move, and it would still be carried out at the first frame possible.

An example would go as follows: say I used an aerial move, such as Luigi’s nair. This move lasts a total of 45 frames, which is 3/4ths of a second (60 frames per second). If I inputted a jump at exactly frame 44, with 0 buffer, nothing would happen after Luigi finished his nair. However, if I had a 10-frame buffer, and I inputted a jump at frame 35, that jump would come out immediately after Luigi finished his nair on frame 45. This 10-frame buffer window means that the last command inputted between frames 35-45 will execute, meaning that if I inputted fair again at frame 40, fair would come out immediately after nair was finished on frame 45.

However, buffering also has its downsides; while it gives you more leeway to perform commands, you also lose control over your character. Buffering causes random or unintended inputs to carry out even if you didn’t want them to. One extremely famous example of this is to shield with Ike near a ledge, and have an opponent hit your shield, causing you to fall off the ledge. If you try to buffer a jab while your shield is getting hit, that jab will still carry out as soon as your lag is done…in midair. The buffered jab becomes a nair, and Ike falls to his death while doing an nair because of that buffered jab. Having no buffer means this doesn’t happen, as players can react to being pushed off the ledge and recover, instead of being forced to carry out an unwanted input.

Two general problems raised about Brawl+ are “jumps feel laggy” and “inputs are dropped”. Both of these have to do with leaving buffer at 0 frames. Remember that the Brawl standard is a 10-frame buffer window, so the timing differs. Laggy jumps occur because you press jump before a move is finished, meaning that input is disregarded, and then you press jump again to execute it several frames after the move is already done. This can be most easily seen if you choose Captain Falcon and try to link uairs on 0 buffer; if you’re not used to it, jumping feels weird and slightly delayed, and you can’t get the timing right in order to juggle the opponent. Dropped inputs are caused by inputting a move during Brawl’s 10-frame buffer window, except that since buffer is set to 0, there is no buffer window. This means that the input is disregarded completely, and you suffer the illusion of the game ignoring your inputs completely.

As for how Brawl+ implements this buffering system: for every 10 handicap, you gain 1 frame of time for the buffer window. At a handicap of 0, there will be no buffering at all, while at a handicap of 100, it will be at the default Brawl buffering window of 10 frames, or 1/6th of a second. Anywhere in between works as well; a handicap of 40 will result in a 4-frame buffering window, and a handicap of 70 will result in a 7-frame buffering window. Any handicap over 100 defaults to 10 frames, since 10 frames is the max for the buffer window. If you don’t know what handicap to use, feel free to try different values until you find one that feels “right” to you. Buffers are personal preferences, just like control schemes, and it is up to you to decide which value to use. Remember, Handicap no longer changes any damage dealt to your character, it only alters your personal buffer window.

Xanskar

Smash Lord
A person may not be 'trying their hardest to win'(my understanding of the definition of sandbagging) at any given point in time. But that's a pretty broad definition, and there are a lot of ways to do so that are both intentional and unintentional.

Trying your hardest to win, depending on how "smart" you are, requires you to pay a lot of attention and keep yourself composed. Players who aren't very "smart" may not feel much of a difference between when they're "trying really hard to beat someone" and when they're just playing normally, but "smart" players do(by virtue of the fact that they must remember more and try to reach conclusions/make predictions based on memory). Anyways, playing to win is a playing style that is often far separated from simply playing the game.

During the course of normal matches you will try to do many things which you may have a high failure rate at, but you still do them anyways because you may want to get better at them, figure someone out, or experiment to see if there's a way to do them. This isn't playing to win, because you're taking unnecessary risks for the purpose of furthering your skills; you're playing to improve or learn something about your opponent, not playing to win. This is a perfect example of a fundamental difference between when you're trying to win and when you're just playing, and it's not really something you do/don't do intentionally.

So depending on how you define "sandbagging," a person will most likely always be sandbagging against you to some extent. What I've defined above usually still has a person honestly trying to do -something,- even if that won't necessarily be the best path to victory, but the fact is that a person who knows how to play to win is very rarely trying their hardest to win. If we define sandbagging as "not trying your hardest to win," then that's certainly sandbagging, although I don't think it's in the spirit of the community's understanding of the term because as stated before, it's not something a person does/doesn't do intentionally.

There are two different kinds of "real" sandbagging that I can think of off the top of my head. A tired, distracted, or depressed person may not feel up to paying attention to/remembering what you do and putting the pieces together. Or, a person may simply want to screw around, typically for either purposes of having fun, not allowing the opponent to figure them out before a game, or simply to piss the other person off/disrespect them.

The only kind of sandbagging that you can really do something about is the last one. Otherwise, it's useless getting mad at someone/frustrated/etc. with them because you think they're not playing to win, and moreover, it's not likely at any given time besides a tournament that someone is -really- making the choices that they think would be most likely to lead them to victory, and you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Xanskar

Smash Lord
that was my attempt at a long post btw

edited because that one is more on-topic with this board

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
good essay by xan, and i didnt fully read matt's, but in case no one else wants to read it
its like when you do a dash attack with falco, and during the dash attack animation, you hold up cuz ur setting up for ur uptilt because you wont jump
at least thats what i think it was, if i remember correctly
and buffer is adjustable because u have different ending move lag in each game (brawl, melee)

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Nah Che thats not it.

I'll use the example that's in the post.

Say you use Weegee's Nair which lasts 45 frames

If you have 10 frames of buffer you can press jump at frame 35 and as soon as the move finishes you will perform that action.

So basically it makes certain things easier/humanly possible but lowers the amount of precision you have over what moves you perform.

EDIT: Tell me a date for whatever smashfest your making, I'll most likely be there. I'll also bring my setup.

adrian Blk

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: is there smash planned today?

hey guys can someone tell rina that i have her brawl case with melee in it and her copy at guilty gear

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Well Che got his wisdom teeth out so he probably won't be going to anything today.

Also Captain Alaska said in a couple days, so I guess we should hold one when he is available.

Top Bottom