• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alaska(friend codes in first post)

GigaZapCannon

Smash Cadet
>_< saying brawl sucks is one thing, -explaining- why it sucks is something completely different (and a bit more valid =P)

Personally, I cannot think of any real reason why brawl will suck, heh, except that I don't have a wii ::sigh:: and that I won't get to play it as much as I want to ^_^ can't play in your sleep... /cry
actually it isn't fair to say it sucks, but i definately prefer melee any day.

there is much less technical skill involved with brawl, and it is much slower paced. where i truly enjoy all the variety with the new characters and abilities and such, i really miss the raw capabilities you have while playing ssbm.

it seems like a lot of brawl will be focused on shield-pressure tactics and shield-parry style of fighting.

another way to put it is i feel like SSBB is trying to feel more like a classic fighter game.

i will have to give it time before i really say brawl sucks, but for now i think that melee is a much more competitive and thrilling game than brawl

dpsTANK

Smash Rookie
I love Melee, to say the least, but with the addition of new characters and levels in Brawl, not to mention online play, I'm pretty sure I'll end up preferring the latter. Although the addition of so many new items and the assist trophies kind of bothers me, I've never really enjoyed using them so much...mostly cause my brothers would item stalk to try and kill me most times when they're on... and the assist trophies are imba imo... but I don't know how frequent they are. O well, I could speculate till I was blue in the face, but I think I'll just wait a couple days and find out for myself, lol.

Also, I decided just to wait until the release to play Brawl, I want it to be special =P and worse comes to worse, I'll just use one of my old mains.

FunkMaster

Smash Journeyman
i guess some people just can't HANDLE the speed of melee.(i wonder who THOSE PEOPLE might be, hmmm) i'd prefer speed to balance any day or eternity. balance, strategies, and thinking even are nice i suppose, but SPEED is for me. Resso! Rokusai! Senshu!!!
that's also not how i operate in reality at all. but whatever works yah
that's how it goes.
oh yah i was going to say something about how cool arcana hearts is but then i "happened" to think about those harry potter books again so now i'm depressed again. sorry. those books are constantly calling to me. it's frightening. I want to read them but i know that if i do i'll only get wistful and wishful then very sad. i looks like i'll have to lock them up somewhere so i it's harder for me to get sad.

the least i can say is that arcana hearts is so cool. it's like guilty gear only with spirits and anime girls.

and i don't think there's anything xanskarr needs to explain. he can't handle the SPEED of melee. melee's awesome. i like to mindlessly shfll attacks as fast and frequently at my enemy as i can and hope something happens.

Whisperknife

Smash Rookie
Greetings to all in the frozen wastes!

Actually it's been more like The Slushy Wastes lately, hasn't it?

I just learned about the Tournament @ DC on Sunday and knew I would hate myself forever if I didn't sign up. I hate fighting those stupid computer bots and no one I know will play me because I always destroy them.

I've been playing since the N64 as well and MASTERED the art of using Link, or at least thought I had... til one of my friend figured out how to use Kirby properly... (mumble)

Anyway, I bought my Gamecube for the sole purpose of SSBM and have been playing that wonderful product of someone's imagination almost religiously since.

I'm really looking forward to playing against some people who actually have skill at the game! I can't say that I will WIN, cause I haven't fully developed my precognition as of yet... but I am DEFINITELY looking forward to beating everyone (or better yet, finding someone who can best ME!)

I'll be the older competitor with the ponytail and earring. If you happen to see me, please don't run... you'll only get KO'd tired!!!!!! MWUAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Peace ;)

Lunaris

Smash Ace
>_< saying brawl sucks is one thing, -explaining- why it sucks is something completely different (and a bit more valid =P)

Personally, I cannot think of any real reason why brawl will suck, heh, except that I don't have a wii ::sigh:: and that I won't get to play it as much as I want to ^_^ can't play in your sleep... /cry
i'll play devil's advocate for a bit.

tripping, skill cap relatively low due to ease of play, blow-trading games very possible, your options tend to be more similar to each other than they were in melee(since you generally cannot combo anything in this game, period), alienates low level players due to buffed dodging/rolling system(oh the irony) in which a good player can just pick up snake and just dodge/roll/shield and forward tilt anyone unfamiliar with the dodge/roll punish timing to death.

that about sums up the reasons it would suck, but i think there are mitigating factors which make it a good game. there's more of an emphasis on making a lot of good guesses rather than a few decisive ones(for the most part; a few characters have major punishing potential with very strong ko moves), which technically means "more mindgames," although if you ask me the reality of the situation is a little different due to various reasons.

anyways a serious belief of mine is that you will see many more players at the top spots this time around, above what you'd naturally expect due to population increase since melee's time. that's if people play this game as seriously as they did melee, anyways, which they probably will.

P.S.: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=149157

P.P.S.: wow, i think lucas may be my new secondary

Captain Alaska

Smash Apprentice
that was an AWESOME post arthur

also bad news, i can't come to anchorage this weekend because there is no plane OR ferry going for some stupid reason
I leave severely disappointed.

Also, could I get some tips on brawl; like really simple strategies, that I can best people with.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
i'll play devil's advocate for a bit.

tripping, skill cap relatively low due to ease of play, blow-trading games very possible, your options tend to be more similar to each other than they were in melee(since you generally cannot combo anything in this game, period), alienates low level players due to buffed dodging/rolling system(oh the irony) in which a good player can just pick up snake and just dodge/roll/shield and forward tilt anyone unfamiliar with the dodge/roll punish timing to death.

that about sums up the reasons it would suck, but i think there are mitigating factors which make it a good game. there's more of an emphasis on making a lot of good guesses rather than a few decisive ones(for the most part; a few characters have major punishing potential with very strong ko moves), which technically means "more mindgames," although if you ask me the reality of the situation is a little different due to various reasons.

anyways a serious belief of mine is that you will see many more players at the top spots this time around, above what you'd naturally expect due to population increase since melee's time. that's if people play this game as seriously as they did melee, anyways, which they probably will.

P.S.: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=149157

P.P.S.: wow, i think lucas may be my new secondary
PK fawking bat to the face. XD

Xanskarr

Smash Lord
Greetings to all in the frozen wastes!

Actually it's been more like The Slushy Wastes lately, hasn't it?

I just learned about the Tournament @ DC on Sunday and knew I would hate myself forever if I didn't sign up. I hate fighting those stupid computer bots and no one I know will play me because I always destroy them.

I've been playing since the N64 as well and MASTERED the art of using Link, or at least thought I had... til one of my friend figured out how to use Kirby properly... (mumble)

Anyway, I bought my Gamecube for the sole purpose of SSBM and have been playing that wonderful product of someone's imagination almost religiously since.

I'm really looking forward to playing against some people who actually have skill at the game! I can't say that I will WIN, cause I haven't fully developed my precognition as of yet... but I am DEFINITELY looking forward to beating everyone (or better yet, finding someone who can best ME!)

I'll be the older competitor with the ponytail and earring. If you happen to see me, please don't run... you'll only get KO'd tired!!!!!! MWUAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Peace ;)
hmm if you are going to play brawl, if you havent played it yet you'll get destroyed

results:

1st: Derek
doesntmatter after him

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
hey, theres actually someone else in Eagle River that plays SSB. Dps where In eagle river do you live? I'm down Eagle River road.

Anyways, I prefer the slower, more strategic playstyle of brawl to the superfast playstyle of melee, at least I think I will.

I reserved brawl at 5th so I can't come tonight.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
Just got it, going to play it then go to sleep.

In the tournament, they wouldn't let anyone under 18 play unless they had a parental signature, and on top of that, they only let the first 32 registered play. Theres more! they made us use the wii mote + nunchuk even if we brought our own controller AND didn't even tell us the buttons before we could play. I picked Ike, and controlling him with the wii mote was extraordinarily hard (keep in mind they didn't tell us the controls) derek can back me up on this, he lost a match due to the wii motes gay ness. Whats more is that it was single elimination, 1:00 with random stage and items on. An 8 year old kid won who pretty much button mashed with kirby.

Excellent tournament. I'm not surprised, gamestop never ceases to amaze me.

For anyone who cares I won't be attending brawl-fests for at least until this December.

D-rock, go ahead and post the picture, rest assured, people will praise you and find it funny.

FunkMaster

Smash Journeyman
speedspeedspeedspeedspeedspeedspeedspeed

take my advice captain AK it's better then snake

he's some good character choices

1. sonic-he's the fastest runner but has average speed attacks i think. weak too. just pick final destination and you're set.
2. captain falcon-he's the second fastest character and has slow attacks but power. he's also the coolest guy around
3. fox-i think he's the overall nimblest charcter taking into account both his running speed and attack speed. his voice took a hit in the U.S version sadly. oh yeah he can kind of waveshine too
4. sheik/zero-from here on out everything gets unbearably slow. so unless you plan on picking up ice climbers ness or lucas i wouldn't bother with anyone other than sonic captain falcon or fox.

remember, speed is key unless brawl is really that much more foolish then melee. especially with this idiotic EASIER powersheilding now

speedspeedspeedspeedspeedspeedspeedspeed

that's all you need

*e* and oh yeah i care lab of che. even though i'm not part of these things at the moment(or ever?) i think it's too bad you're not going if you're really not going and not misinforming everyONE.
if you really are on a quest to BETTER YOURself i give you my blessing.

may you succeed in this journey of yours che of lab.

dpsTANK

Smash Rookie
Tournament was definitely a let down, mostly because I couldn't use ZSS so I got stuck with the slower Power Suit, which was only an off character for me before. Kinda wished I'd used Ike, but it's all in the past. Funny thing though, the kid who won's parents ended up leaving him there, kinda sucks, alot, for him. Heh, I was the only person in the tournament who taunted =P but no one knew it since Samus has all new taunts, lol.

And yea, I do live in ER >_< up the road from McDonalds, behind the Parkgate building.

The wiimote isn't that bad really, once you get the hang of it. The only problem with it is that grabbing is more of a pain and my right hand's pointer finger feels useless, my thumb could do all the A and B smashing I needed. w/e though, hopefully in future tourneys they'll let you use the gc controller...hopefully there will be more tournaments at that, lol.

dpsTANK

Smash Rookie
Yea, it was nice meeting u to, sry I wasn't very vocal, I hadn't slept for like 30 some odd hours and was kinda spacey, partially cause I was excited for Brawl ^_^

Lunaris

Smash Ace
i'll just go ahead and add anyone who posts their fc in this thread

my fc has been under my avatar for awhile

edit: wifi experiences?
seems like most of us have been experiencing quite a bit of lag, all the connections i've tried at my house(eddie and matt) have been playable though. .25-.5 second lag or so; makes fighting characters like metaknight a little difficult(with ike, anyways), but other than that it's been ok.

anyone know the numbers 428-0520 or 632-8567?

Whisperknife

Smash Rookie
Just got it, going to play it then go to sleep.

In the tournament, they wouldn't let anyone under 18 play unless they had a parental signature, and on top of that, they only let the first 32 registered play. Theres more! they made us use the wii mote + nunchuk even if we brought our own controller AND didn't even tell us the buttons before we could play. I picked Ike, and controlling him with the wii mote was extraordinarily hard (keep in mind they didn't tell us the controls) derek can back me up on this, he lost a match due to the wii motes gay ness. Whats more is that it was single elimination, 1:00 with random stage and items on. An 8 year old kid won who pretty much button mashed with kirby.

Excellent tournament. I'm not surprised, gamestop never ceases to amaze me.

For anyone who cares I won't be attending brawl-fests for at least until this December.

D-rock, go ahead and post the picture, rest assured, people will praise you and find it funny.
I whole-heartedly agree, I brought my own controller too and was greatly disappointed that we couldn't use them. I played as Shadow Link against Kirby and because of my unfamiliarity with the Wii-mote, I got killed by the stupid level hazard.

What is this about an 8 year old playing? I thought you had to be at LEAST 13 just to enter, even WITH parental consent. Oh well, it was kinda fun even with how disappointing it turned out.

Xanskarr

Smash Lord
This is interesting... what is that Bowser thing under your name Kryptonic? Hmm...

EDIT: I'll need to read announcements more often, this is relevant to my interests.

banksters

Smash Apprentice
Xan, why didn't you tell everyone we posted up all the friend codes up on alaskagamers... -.-

But anyway ya, that tournament was gay but fun at the same time. I gotta thank everyone that let me take the last open spot, you guys are awesome :bee:

And good matches to the people I just played on wifi. Derek your snake is a beast lol

Lunaris

Smash Ace
Xan, why didn't you tell everyone we posted up all the friend codes up on alaskagamers... -.-

But anyway ya, that tournament was gay but fun at the same time. I gotta thank everyone that let me take the last open spot, you guys are awesome :bee:

And good matches to the people I just played on wifi. Derek your snake is a beast lol

haha, i wasn't kidding about the two moves. just do what i did and you can beat 90% of the people you'll play, i think. good matches, live is much better than wifi though. after we stopped playing wifi i was surprised by how fast it was since for the past two days all the matches i'd had until then were wifi matches. seeing your avatar, i'll add that it's a shame ZSS has such small hitboxes; i'm trying to make her work, though.

anyways, i'm adding friend codes to the first post and changing the topic title to note that. if you don't want yours displayed on the first post either post about it or PM me; since you're posting them on a public forum I'm assuming you won't mind them being there. there'll be more there tomorrow night.

Top Bottom