• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alaska(friend codes in first post)

Testament

Smash Apprentice
Am I going anywhere? Worried that I might go to a tourney or something and not tell you about it in a plot to take 1st? :D Nah, I was just curious to see what I need to patch up to make my Samus more formidable. Been meaning to ask you at a time when I wasn't tied up in a match, and I figured that now's as good a time as any. Oddly enough, yes, this is stuff I already know and (even worse) advocate on GameFAQs (talk about not taking your own advice...); though ideally, I'd prefer to missile cancel into a shffl'd sex kick (since Samus's short hop should be high enough to jump the missile should it be reflected back; and coming in with the uber-priority sex kick to keep them pinned). And should I land right on them with the sex kick...maybe bomb, ffl'd d-aerial, u-smash, u-aerial, missile, beam (all theoretical, of course). It's just a matter of breaking my fingers of their old habits and teaching them new tricks.

As for Samus appearing in all the other characters I attempt to play...well, go figure. I've played Samus almost exclusively since SSB64, only occasionally trying out another character, then going back to Samus (something you've seen by now). She just handles so differently from the other characters. Well, anyway, I'm still just shopping around right now; trying to find a character to cover Samus's problematic match ups. I know of Falcon, Falco, and Marth posing as problems for Samus...I think she might be able to do fairly well against Fox, but then I haven't fought any Foxes, so my VS experience against him is all theoretical. Anyway; I'm primarily looking at Marth and/or Sheik right now. Marth for his aerial combos, Sheik for her ground combos; I'm just looking for a combo orientated character...assuming I'm ever able to keep Samus in my Samus game and out of everyone else's.

Hmm...well, thanks for the compliment as far as my technical game goes (geez, you complimenting our skill, that's a first :p Still though, it's gotta count for something; especially since I recall reading that Samus is one of the tougher characters to play seriously...), but I think Chris and Ian have better overall control over their respective characters than I do with Samus...but then, you're the tourney goer, so what do I know? :p

Zandeman

Smash Rookie
ALASKA!!!

Hey i was at the Microplay tournament were you? i got third place, and you got second so... i think i know who you are. im new to the sight but im up for holding a smash bros fest thingy.

Testament

Smash Apprentice
...who's Garrett, and why does he want to fight my Samus?...and how good is his?

Yay, another potential candidate for our group.

As for my Sheik...yeah, I put a few hours into working on grabbing and going into combos over the past week. Not much really, just d-throw>f/u-tilts>dash A>f/u-aerial. I was also working last minute on adding a dash grab after a tilt or two if the opponent's % isn't high enough to keep them suspended mid combo; though DIing kinda killed that plan (except for the one time I landed that combo on your Marth :chuckle: ) Guess we'll have to wait until next week to see how much I've really improved...

And about Samus...well, I've always used bombs more than just at point blank, I just wasn't doing it as often as I was yesterday. The added MC mix-up, yeah, that's something I've been reminding myself to do more often too. Just trying to break the predictability I tend to fall into.

Zandeman

Smash Rookie
hmm i was the blond kid named alex that play sheik. and beat your friend ian i think mario. but lost to the other sheik. well anyway he told me to come to this sight becuase i saw him at fireweed theaters. i have prom this weekend so... maybe next though. Yea names alex b. by the way senior @ west high i have good friends at microplay.

Zero EXE

Smash Journeyman
Ah, yes, I remember you. I'll have to challenge you to a rematch at our next Smash fest. I won't lose to you this time =D!

This figures, most of my friends are going to prom. I would, but my girlfriend didn't seem too interested in that kind of thing. Oh well, no prob.

"LETS GO, LETS GO TO OUR HAM HAM BLAH BLOUSE!!"

Zandeman

Smash Rookie
are you guys seniors. i think i asked and you guys are juniors... i dont know. but i only know one person who is competition to me and i only played him like twice so .... i dont see him often either. but hopefully next week we can play. i havent played since the tournament but i dont forget too easily. give me call if you guys have other plans. my cell number is 230-0862.

Testament

Smash Apprentice
I think most of our group's juniors and seniors (never really bothered to ask...) with the exception of my younger brother (freshman) and myself (college student).

Anyway, I'm not sure if you remember me as I played pretty horribly in the tournament. I was the Fox in my first round, Samus in my second and third, and Marth in my last. Samus is my primary (I normally play her a good deal better than I did at that tourney; but then, all but one of the stages I played on were crappy ones), Fox and Marth were attempted secondaries that I've put on the back burner for now.

So Derek, what're the plans for this weekend? It's alright if you'll be busy with prom, I've got two term papers I need to work on (well...start and finish by next week), so having an extra day to work certainly wouldn't hurt...though if you decide to go with our usual smashfest, then I'll more than likely show (see how focused I am on my classes :chuckle: ) Okay, so it's not entirely a good thing to be screwing around when I've got crap to do (what kind of example am I setting for you young 'uns?! :p) But hey, it's just a few research papers, and those are basically just plagiarism with quotation marks and bibliography; so I figure I can afford to take a break (besides, it's not like I go out the rest of the week anyway...)

Zero EXE

Smash Journeyman
I'm a Junior myself (at least I THINK so....). Yes, I'm the 'Mario master' of our smash group. I could've done better at the tournament, but, like Derek, I was getting "stage fright" and wasn't playing as well. But I WILL give it my best during our next match!:D

Testament

Smash Apprentice
I think it's safe to say that none of us, except maybe Chris who seems to thrive on that atmosphere, were playing up to par in that tourney. But hey, that's what casuals are for; none of the tourney pressure, and (usually) all of the skill.

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
Work on your tourney-face! It helps. I find I don't get as worried at tourneys if I just ignore what's on the line, and just play like it's a friendly. Of course, I don't play TOO casual, I make sure I'm on the edge of my game. Just don't fall over :). It's a hard thing to balance out if you're not a natural performer, like Chris sounds to be ;).

Testament

Smash Apprentice
Well, there were two main contributing factors to my performance. 1) Half the time I wasn't playing my best character (Samus); my Fox and Marth are nowhere near as good as my Samus is. 2) The stages I fought on sucked. I got Fountain of Dreams once (the only good one). The only other stages I got to fight on were Fourside (I played Samus here) and Yoshi's Story 64 (Marth and Samus). Fourside just sucked; though I beat my opponent (Falco), it was closer than I liked, largely due to camping and a few stupid mistakes that I normally don't make (reflected maxed beam...ouch). Yoshi's Story 64...I just hate that stage. Always did, always will. Doesn't help that I lost on that stage twice; once to Ian, once to Derek. Match against Ian was more or less a toss-up, the fight against Derek I expected to lose :p Oh well, that was my first Smash tourney (except for the kinda small one Derek hosted way back); and I didn't lose to anyone outside our group, so I'm not bothered too much by it.

Testament

Smash Apprentice
So, what's the plan for tomorrow? Are Garrett and the one dude from the Microplay tourney coming? I've got a cold coming on, so I'm not sure if I'll go...if I feel like ****, then probably not. Hopefully I'll be able to shake it off by tomorrow morning.

Testament

Smash Apprentice
Well, that's cool. You know what characters they play?

Anyways...**** man, I feel like crap. Hopefully I'll be feeling a bit better tomorrow...well, I'd wish you luck with the SAT, but it's dead easy, so you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Hmm...speaking of which; I think I might take the SAT again...it certainly wouldn't hurt to have an up-to-date score, might help when I finally decide what college to go to...

Testament

Smash Apprentice
I scored somewhere around 1240-1280ish. That was back in my junior year...I didn't really do any of the things they tell you to (study for it, get a good night's rest, eat a good breakfast, and all that BS). Anyway, not two weeks after I got my scores back, I had offers from all the military academies (West Point, Air Force Academy, Naval Academy) and a few random schools (I forget...one was somewhere in the northeast though; New Jersey if I remember correctly); looking back, I don't know if it was smart or stupid of me to turn them all down...probably stupid, but oh well, it's not like I knew what I wanted to do with myself back then anymore than I know what to do with myself now...

Testament

Smash Apprentice
Well, the problem with me is that I have an interest in lots of things. About the only things I know I likely will never seriously pursue is a carreer involving the fine arts, sports, chain-store retail, and fast food. Everything else, from archaeology to microbiology to computer programming interests me to some extent. I plan to take an aptitude test once this term ends (next week :D) so I can hopefully narrow down the scope a little bit.

Oh, that was the SAT I, btw; I never got around to taking the SAT II. The only other test kinda like those I've taken is the ASVAB, which told me the only thing I can't do in the Air Force is be a geophysicist or something like that.

I hope we can get a lot of people over tomorrow too...while I'm at it, I'm hoping this **** cold eases up a little bit too (I don't like being sick, if you hadn't noticed :p) So anyways...who do these so called "Matt" and "Andrew" play?

Testament

Smash Apprentice
Genetic engineering is cool...and then there's nanotechnology, that seems like it'd be an interesting field. I've got some experience tutoring, and that was kinda cool, so I guess being a teacher wouldn't be so bad :p ****...who'd have thought that it'd actually pay off to be one of those people who's only good at one thing and bases their entire life off of it...

So, another Samus and Marth, eh? I'd ask how good they are, but I'm about to head off to bed, so I won't ask. But if you think they've got a lot of potential to improve, so much the better; it'll be so nice to fight more than our usual assortment...nothing against our group, but having a broader pool of competition hardly seems like a bad thing.

Drakkus

Smash Rookie
Hey Derek =D

i can come over today if i but....ur phone has been busy for over an hour!!! im at my moms house...pm me if u forgot the #

so, can peepos come over today? whats happenin....? see ya soon hopefully

Testament

Smash Apprentice
Derek, do you have a rough estimate on how much it'd cost to get the equipment you needed to get our matches online? I'd be willing to help pitch in on the cost (assuming it's not some insanely high amount; which it shouldn't be).

Edit: Around what time should we (me and my brother) come over today (if you can have people over today)?

Zandeman

Smash Rookie
HOSTING!?

Hey ya guys this is Alex. I just got a big screen tv and i really wanna host this saturday, so let me know if your up to it, ill make it official. its a huge new big screen soo it looks hella fun to play on plus i have a big living room. so let me know.

alex b.

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
Carlos, it's gonna be about $60 plus shipping an handling to get your matches online.

Not that expensive, eh?

There's a device called Dazzle I've instructed Derik to buy -- hope he gets it soon ^^.

Zandeman

Smash Rookie
ok then...

my house is at 700 dogwood st. unit b. Give me a call if you dont know where that is, my number is 222-2778 or 230-0862. its in government hill. its a new big screen so it shouls be awesome.

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
I = envious.

I think I've played smash on a 32 inch + once. ONCE.

That was at my friend Landon's house. He has a 64" projection screen that kicks some. Other than that, I play on 13 inches and 19 inches. It's almost better to have those sizes for a tourney -- hauling 5 tv's around gets annoying :******:.

Yaay. Worthless post -- go me :D. You should all come down and play with us in MN. Derik wants to go -- anyone else :D?

Zero EXE

Smash Journeyman
Derek, I'll probably be getting my driving permit this saturday, and it'll take 8 hours straight!! So I'm not sure if i'll make it, but i'll try to.

Testament

Smash Apprentice
Unless they've changed things a lot, it shouldn't take that long to get your permit; a 1-3 hours tops. If it's your license, then maybe longer, but you said permit...

Anyway, I'd be okay with going down to Alex's; assuming he's allowed to have friends over until around midnight or so, that is. If not...well, might be better to stick to going to Derek's; more game time and such. Are Chris, Matt, Garrett, the other Matt, and Andrew all going to make it this weekend? Gotta make sure Alex's parents are okay with that many people (plus me, my brother, Derek, and Dustin if he's not grounded) coming over. Holy crap...quite a group we've got. Pity not all of us play seriously -_-

Well Derek, I'd be willing to foot half the bill for whatever that Dazzle thing is; just let me know when you plan to order it. Anyways, I've gotta start taking a final in a few minutes, I'll talk to you guys later.

Top Bottom