• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alaska(friend codes in first post)

Always_Default

Smash Journeyman
"He makes noises when he plays too"
!
yeah, when i'm surprised at something sometimes i say "AH!" or "OH!"

but most of it is probably actually me saying intelligible stuff, it's just that i don't put much effort into enunciation so it comes out as a mumble.
the "well, that's not very nice..." was intended as a joke/messing around, if you took it wrong. trying to break silence with people you don't know very well can be awkward.

nice playing all of you, though. i had fun. hope some of you come back up to anchorage sometime.
what a b.itch

Kenjiblade

Smash Apprentice
Heh, this thread is looking quite a bit more active now. Great job!

Anyway, here's some news -- the Juneau Smash community is continuing to grow! ...Slowly. :( So, here's the scoop. A friend of mine that's still in high school found a group of 3 other people that happen to play the game, and actually take it seriously. Our group of 4 or so played their group, and thoroughly swept them. HOWEVER, they seemed really enthusiastic about getting better, which is more than I can say about most of the people we tried playing against in the past. So, here's a short round-up of Juneau players, with short profiles:

Steve/Kenjiblade: That's me. I main Falco, with back-up characters Capt. Falcon, Luigi, Jigglypuff, and Bowser. I'm proficient at most advanced techniques, but I lack the consistency I need to win more often. *sadpandaface*

Matt: The jack-of-all-trades player of our group. He mains Peach mostly, but he frequently uses Mario, Yoshi, DK, Fox, Ness, ICs, Kirby, Zelda/Sheik, Young Link, and Mewtwo. But, due to being so spread out, his expertise in any individual character (except for Peach) isn't spectacular, but above average at the very least. Matt doesn't use advanced techniques very much (if at all), but that's my fault for not playing well enough to force him to do so.

Dean: His mains are Ganondorf and Link, although he's recently taken up Samus. Although the basis of his playing isn't advanced techniques, he does shorthop/l-cancel with some of his characters, which is definitely a great start.

Bryan: He hasn't played while he was away at college (5 months or so), but he's been picking the game back up again fairly easily. His preferred characters are Jiggs, Falco, Marth, and whoever else he decides to use as he becomes familiarized with the game again.

Jeremy/CJ/Charles: These are the high school kids that Dean "recruited". We had an impromptu "smashfest" with them over the weekend, but I'm still not sure what all their best characters are. They're not very good yet, but there is no doubt a lot of room for growth and potential (they want to become better, which is always a plus).

K1ng Rat: I haven't asked him for his real name yet (oddly enough). While he isn't officially part of the Juneau smashing community yet, he'll be going to college here in the fall (and visiting next month), so I may as well include him in this list now. No idea what level of proficiency he has; he said he hasn't been to any tournaments, but on the other hand he also has played with many players, including some who have been to tournaments. So, he could be an even match for the existing Juneau 'crew', or completely obliterate us -- it remains to be seen. Personally, I'm hoping for the latter, because it's been a while since we've had a legitimate challenge (I'm still aware that Derek/Lunaris is likely still capable of dominating us; come to Juneau to prove it, though, Derek! hint hint, nudge nudge).

Well, that about sums it up. We managed to nearly double our player base in one weekend, which I find pretty exciting. Now, we just need to gather together a few more players, and we can maybe organize an actual tournament. Yay!

But, I'm sure all you interior/northern Alaskan players don't care about this. Make it more relevent and visit Juneau so we can play yas! =P

Lunaris

Smash Ace
yeah firefly, AK should be at oc3. =) looking forward to seeing you all there again.

we still won't be as numerous as you guys were last year, though =( you guys have a lotttt of people compared to us.

maybe 3-5 should be there.

@KB
hey, we've been having tournaments. you could always go to oc3 or come up to one of ours if you want to fight me =p TCP from cordova does often, he's gotten pretty good. i heard some complete ******* won anchorage's last tournament, but i wasn't there; great work daniel, man, what's wrong with you? daniel(captain alaska) got 2nd, losing to "Complete *******"(that was the name used) in the finals.

and of course we care, the bigger AK's community is the better regardless of how often we all play(as long as it happens sometime).

FireFly

Smash Lord
meh, a lot of the people you saw at oc2 from hawaii arent active anymore. theres only gonna be like 4-5 us coming to oc3.

Always_Default

Smash Journeyman
this man is a genious, listen to him.

i know i would go ahead and pay an extra $5 at the door when i'm already paying for the tournament, it's just a hassle to do it seperately with paypal/a credit card and all that.

Jordan, you're going to have to be demoted. This, for two counts.

1. Things may be different down in Cordova, but up here in Anchorage, on the farm that Derek and I work at, we have to eat choco bread for godsakes just to get by the day without being hungry. In other words, I don't want to be pressured for fundraising when I'm already spending a lot of money to do the same thing myself. This is, of couse, just an opinion.

2. Chester01 is a Canadian, and I hear a FRENCH Canadian.

Captain Alaska

Smash Apprentice
Jordan, you're going to have to be demoted. This, for two counts.

1. Things may be different down in Cordova, but up here in Anchorage, on the farm that Derek and I work at, we have to eat choco bread for godsakes just to get by the day without being hungry. In other words, I don't want to be pressured for fundraising when I'm already spending a lot of money to do the same thing myself. This is, of couse, just an opinion.

2. Chester01 is a Canadian, and I hear a FRENCH Canadian.

Captain Alaska doesn't approve of such rude and mocking language.

Matsu18p

Smash Apprentice
so ricky what letter does a** begin with again
not R i hope
In this case we....at least I can make an exception. Whoever owns this thread must be a ****, property of ********.

Btw Derreck I'm not gonna have my comp very often in the near future, call me if you wanna contact me, 244-4297.

Lunaris

Smash Ace
"Whoever owns this thread must be a ****, property of ********."

yeah, that guy must be an *******.

great work turning against me when arthur was the one who trashed you, i am astounded by your prowess as a dedicated hater @_@

my powers can't come close :urg:

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
THE PLAN

derek, im coming in tomorrow on the ferry, i don't need a ride from whittier though because tweak's going so he can give me a ride. i just need you to pick me up from the dimond center when we get there

also i think im leaving the same day (friday) as him so i might not even need a ride back either

Captain Alaska

Smash Apprentice
stop tripple posting everywhere alaska
what has to be done has to be done

edit: yeah, Hermann Hesse is an amazing author, so it would be fitting, if the alaska smash community played with better symbolism; as well! I believe Lunaris' response to a couple of quotes of his was to paraphrase "captain alaska you're a b****"
i believe that was his response to the music in the canadian combo video (see alaska travel thread in the canadian forum)

Top Bottom