• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

OrangeEnvelope

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
So... Where is the closest place I could drive out and meet you? I'd still throw in some cash for gas. if you have room... Sorry to be bothersome, I just really want to make it to the tournament

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
My plan was to get people in Auburn and Montgomery, meaning I'll be heading down I-85 and I-65. The closer you could get to that strip, the better.

There are currently three other people in my car, so you'd be welcome to the last spot.

Last edited:

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
Tagging onto this to emphasize that outside of a few fraternity guys (e.g. I know there's a decent Smash following at Theta Tau, although it's worth noting that if I recall correctly, their recent Melee tournament saw only ABXY guys finish in the money for pro bracket) you'll meet most of the UA smashers pretty much just through ABXY. Not everyone shows up on a given day though - there's usually anywhere from 4 to 8. The Facebook group(s) is/are a mostly complete listing from what I can tell.

To reiterate from the last page and the other answers here: General Tuscaloosa Smash hub is ABXY. Not LRZCstick. Not DpadStartPowerReset. Not CircleSquareTriangleX. ABXY. Try and get to one before we all head off to 18 different states for 3 months. We're all pretty laid back dudes.

ETA: @ Jake The Preacher Jake The Preacher
You said that ABXY's got weeklies right?

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
As if the red warning side above was just for funsies

but anyway, yeah Lucario looks pretty fun in PM, and spacies can just do some really mean things all around.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
lucario is cool but he feels like he sucks compared to much of the cast. i could be wrong

wolf is also good because he's probably the best anti-spacie spacie. he can do some pretty mean things to fox/falco

Merk

Smash Rookie
You said that ABXY's got weeklies right?
Yeah, there's stuff Wednesdays 6 to 10 and I think Friday of this week too, but I usually just text dudes that know more than me and show up when necessary so don't quote me on that last part. Alex and I are hoping to get 2 setups going tomorrow (presumably 1 for Melee and 1 for PM) but I messed up my ankle playing basketball earlier this week so we'll see if I can carry my TV any distance without breaking every bone in my body and/or spilling cathode rays all over the sidewalk. The University hates it when electron beams (or bone fragments, for that matter) are just lying around. Try and get there, we should have at least, like, 5 of the regulars in attendance.

Better information than what I can offer you should be on the Facebook page(s) for ABXY.

ETA: And if you mean weekly tournaments, disregard everything in this post. Hive does stuff pretty often but I haven't gone to anything of theirs so I can't confirm or deny anything on that front.

Last edited:

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Hive Bang tournament this Saturday guys. https://www.facebook.com/events/1432921210288949/

That means that every major city will have had an event in a 5 week period stretching AUSOM, Chargercon, Get Money Monthiles, HP Monthiles, Hive Bang, & Take it Like a Champ.

In other words: There is no excuse for you guys to not have been to a tournament! Also now we just need some Shoals & some Troy action, and the whole state will be completely covered in Smash. #dreams

also also, Serin made a Smashboards thread for Take it like a Champ.
http://smashboards.com/threads/apri...ighting-game-tournament-montgomery-al.352669/

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Hive Bang tournament this Saturday guys. https://www.facebook.com/events/1432921210288949/

That means that every major city will have had an event in a 5 week period stretching AUSOM, Chargercon, Get Money Monthiles, HP Monthiles, Hive Bang, & Take it Like a Champ.

In other words: There is no excuse for you guys to not have been to a tournament! Also now we just need some Shoals & some Troy action, and the whole state will be completely covered in Smash. #dreams

also also, Serin made a Smashboards thread for Take it like a Champ.
http://smashboards.com/threads/apri...ighting-game-tournament-montgomery-al.352669/
My excuse is that I entered a free Hearthstone tournament during Chargercon, with a cash prize.
Kinda hard to beat that risk reward ratio.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
Yeah, there's stuff Wednesdays 6 to 10 and I think Friday of this week too, but I usually just text dudes that know more than me and show up when necessary so don't quote me on that last part. Alex and I are hoping to get 2 setups going tomorrow (presumably 1 for Melee and 1 for PM) but I messed up my ankle playing basketball earlier this week so we'll see if I can carry my TV any distance without breaking every bone in my body and/or spilling cathode rays all over the sidewalk. The University hates it when electron beams (or bone fragments, for that matter) are just lying around. Try and get there, we should have at least, like, 5 of the regulars in attendance.

Better information than what I can offer you should be on the Facebook page(s) for ABXY.

ETA: And if you mean weekly tournaments, disregard everything in this post. Hive does stuff pretty often but I haven't gone to anything of theirs so I can't confirm or deny anything on that front.
Alright man I hope your ankle gets better fast. Just keep me posted on here or the ABXY page and I'll hopefully be able to make it Friday. I can't make Wednesdays though. Although I'm also a usual attendee for the Hive Bang tournaments

Last edited:

Merk

Smash Rookie
Alright man I hope your ankle gets better fast. Just keep me posted on here or the ABXY page and I'll hopefully be able to make it Friday. I can't make Wednesdays though. Although I'm also a usual attendee for the Hive Bang tournaments
Out of curiosity, how are those/how do those usually go in terms of attendance, skill variety, and overall tournament quality? I was hoping to go to one eventually but they're so far off campus and like a moron I believed the people who said "you totally don't need your car freshman year, you'll just waste money paying for parking, etc." and we only really carpool for longer adventures, ergo I don't attend.

OrangeEnvelope

Smash Apprentice
Sadly, no one in Troy really cares to play anymore, I'm stuck practicing tech skill in my room until it's a tournament weekend and I get to travel lol

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
Out of curiosity, how are those/how do those usually go in terms of attendance, skill variety, and overall tournament quality? I was hoping to go to one eventually but they're so far off campus and like a moron I believed the people who said "you totally don't need your car freshman year, you'll just waste money paying for parking, etc." and we only really carpool for longer adventures, ergo I don't attend.
I haven't gotten to go to all of them, and there haven't been a lot. But so far I think we've got 3 solid attendees, including myself. Not trying to brag on myself but I think we're all pretty good too. I'm sure that we could all compete and do well at larger tournaments. I guess for the rest of attendees that it's a toss up

moogle

Smash Ace
A question: why are there two seemingly separate Alabama Smash League pages on Facebook?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/alabamasmashleague/
https://www.facebook.com/AlabamaSmashLeague

I guess the first one's a "group", and the other is a.... public figure?

The "group" definitely has more activity, though every posting by the "public figure" also gets shared to the "group". The URL in the cover photo for the "group" actually leads to the page of the "public figure", but the "public figure" page doesn't link back to the "group". So yeah, it took me a long time to realize that there were two separate Alabama Smash League pages on Facebook. And it took even longer for me to realize that I linked only to the "public figure" on the first post of this thread, and I hadn't linked to the "group", which is more active.

I just thought I would raise awareness and see how people feel about this, and maybe something can be done to lessen potential confusion in the future.

Last edited:

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Ayo, I ain't got a CRT to use for P:M no more. How's a ***** supposed to practice this **** smh. Is that BenQ monitor the only thing I'd need to cop or is there some extra **** that would need to be bought before I can play on some **** for practice?

Also, I would be able to use that for AE.

EDIT: Yo, one more thing. If I get one of those BenQ monitors, what else would I have to buy along with it?

Last edited:

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
A question: why are there two seemingly separate Alabama Smash League pages on Facebook?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/alabamasmashleague/
https://www.facebook.com/AlabamaSmashLeague

I guess the first one's a "group", and the other is a.... public figure?

The "group" definitely has more activity, though every posting by the "public figure" also gets shared to the "group". The URL in the cover photo for the "group" actually leads to the page of the "public figure", but the "public figure" page doesn't link back to the "group". So yeah, it took me a long time to realize that there were two separate Alabama Smash League pages on Facebook. And it took even longer for me to realize that I linked only to the "public figure" on the first post of this thread, and I hadn't linked to the "group", which is more active.

I just thought I would raise awareness and see how people feel about this, and maybe something can be done to lessen potential confusion in the future.
The page and the group are separate because not everyone is going to be looking for the same thing. The page actually does link to group. It's one of the links below the cover. It also links to this thread. I wish I could make them more integrated than that, but Facebook is pretty limited in that respect.@serin you'll need component cables

Last edited:

OrangeEnvelope

Smash Apprentice
Hey moogle, will you be making it out to any AL tournaments soon? I'd love to see your Sheik in person (You were great at Big House 2 I believe)

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Yeah, it varies week to week, but I've been trying to make it out to all of them. Smash players are usually good people. I'm sure you could get a few of the regulars' numbers and ask for a ride. I wouldn't really mind driving down to campus on my way down and back if it meant a larger turnout.

moogle

Smash Ace
The page and the group are separate because not everyone is going to be looking for the same thing. The page actually does link to group. It's one of the links below the cover. It also links to this thread. I wish I could make them more integrated than that, but Facebook is pretty limited in that respect.
On https://www.facebook.com/AlabamaSmashLeague, I would change the "About" section from
The Official Facebook Page of The Alabama Smash League. We are a COMMUNITY so please join our group to start talking about smash!
to something like
That way, the links are very visible on the front page of https://www.facebook.com/AlabamaSmashLeague. I never found the What is ASL? page until today.

In the "Description" field on the About page, I'd put the rest of the message that's on What is ASL?:
Alabama Smash League (ASL) is a group of enthusiastic Smashers in Alabama who are looking to get together, compete and have fun. We are focused on building a connected community where it is easy for players in our area to organize events and build friendships.

It doesn't stop at this page!

The ASL believes that it is the community of players that makes a game competitive and fun. So we encourage everyone to discuss smash on our community groups, and sites. Ask questions, organize smashfests, talk about strategy or controllers or pizza!
I realize that if you take my suggestions you'll likely lose the graphics, font, etc., when moving the contents of "What is ASL?" to "About", but then those community links (the most important part, IMO) become much more visible.

Last thing... I don't really mean to barge in and demand change on the Facebook page that you made. I just thought my idea would be very beneficial, and I wanted to share it with you.

EDIT (to avoid a double post):
Hey moogle, will you be making it out to any AL tournaments soon? I'd love to see your Sheik in person (You were great at Big House 2 3(!) I believe)
I haven't done a good job attending tournaments in central/south Alabama in recent years. I think it was because most of them were primarily Brawl tournaments, and I gave up being serious about Brawl in 2009. But with Project M on the rise (and Smash 4 around the corner), I'm running out of excuses to not attend. And if there's a Melee tourney, I'll play Sheik. :)

The rest of this month is probably not good for me, since I'm going on business travel fairly soon, but I'll keep my eyes open in May.

Last edited:

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Thanks moogle. I don't mind the critique. Those "about" sections are so limited I sometimes forget about them, but in many ways they are all we've got.

Top Bottom