• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
So here's a discussion topic:

Falcos

How does one deal with them?

I have yet to be truly competitive against a Falco in a tourney set, and I'd like to rectify that.
If you get a grab you have options. Down throw and then punish them based off what kind of di they use. If they di toward you ~ nado, if they di away you can dash attack to up air. Once you get them off the stage you need to punish their recovery. Every time falco uses fantasm against you (mostly when he recovers) nado. Nado beats fantasm and adds some pretty good damage. If you ever get Falco recovering from below the edge just down air repeatedly. His up b is so terrible that once you have hit him with like 2 dairs he has no way of getting back to the stage. I'm no mk expert, but hopefully this helps munkus :)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor

Falcos

I have yet to be truly competitive against a Falco in a tourney set, and I'd like to rectify that.
don't get grabbed. and gimp that *****. like if falco ever is forced to use his up b, he shouldn't recover against a MK

or play sheik

falco is another character that I think spits in the face of people who say MK has no hard matchups tho. falco is a *******. I think he's the second best character in the game

with snake, I've decided to just blow myself up to 40% whenever i fight falco. cuz falco is not good at killing if he can't chaingrab you. and snake is not good at dying. snake at 40% is about the same any other char at 0

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
The throw chase was something I noticed, but my main problem was getting a solid approach, especially on Battlefield (which I basically want to ban now over FD against Falco mains). The laser pressure throws me off my game and the low-hanging platforms make it hard to do a mid-air approach on a campy flacko.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Yesterday's turnout was pretty good actually. Me and Paul won 1st and 2nd, $125 in store cred.
Uh-- crap!! I didn't even know about yesterday :( I would have participated in that one, sortofmaybeproblynotbutwhoknows :/

I was referring to the last time they had a tourney and cancelled it cuz "not enough" ppl showed up.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Uh-- crap!! I didn't even know about yesterday :( I would have participated in that one, sortofmaybeproblynotbutwhoknows :/

I was referring to the last time they had a tourney and cancelled it cuz "not enough" ppl showed up.
I've offered multiple times to help them promote their stuff if they'd give me some details and support for it, telling them exactly how they should advertise it, but they never go through with it.

Apparently the owner assumes that all tourneys will result in a net-loss of operating costs, so they don't put too much effort into them. This is also why a small pokemon/brawl tourney will give out ~$135 in prizes.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, that one. Yeah that sucked, Shannon. >< Could have gone to Tennessee tourney with Andy back then.

Falcos

Step 1: Don't get grabbed.

Whenever you are at 0 to around 50% falco will grab you and bring you to around 50-60%. Falco can

-shield grab you

-drop shield, walk, and grab you on certain moves you throw that lag enough(dsmash is one, suprisingly)

-nair to grab

So obviously, you can't just sh fair/dsmash or w/e, and you can't play extra careful since lasers/IAP exist. Even perfect spacing on some moves will still result in you getting grabbed.

What you want to do is mix up your offense and not let the falco player get so comfy. SS fsmashes can punish a grab attempt as do reverse grounded shuttle loops. Get in the habit of dashing away before RGSL to properly space your loop and your possible glide attack.

Now, falco is going to shield. Do not try to dashgrab out of the blue. Falco's spotdodge/roll have more than enough invincibility frames to avoid grab/dash attack/etc. and then grab you. If you want to grab, you need mixup and momentum. An example is poking falco's shield from different angles(ftilt, dair), then going in from above with a fastfall airdodge reverse grab. Another grab mixup is gliding in towards a shielding falco, cancel glide right before you hit the ground and grab. This can be done normally in front, or aimed slightly behind falco for reverse grab. Remember to mix in your actual glide attack when performing this strat.

The rest of the matchup is getting falco offstage, using tornado effectively(for edgeguard and/or onstage followup i.e. after a dthrow) air chasing(your aerials vs. his, catching him on airdodge) and KO'ing. But if you can do step 1 right you've got momentum, the match and the set..

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I'm going to have to work on canceling my glide immediately into a grab/F-tilt, then.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Weekend n July
That's a while from now, if you could post a thread before hand, and probably try and get a little bonus for OOS people to insure a really good turnout, I'm sure 90% of Bama's smashers would be interested.

When is Herb? I plan on actually coming to Zero's next tournament and hopefully staying the whole time! I always have to leave early and it drives me crazy.
The weekend of the 26th in March. It's a good while from now, so it's plenty of prep time. I'm just against the idea if our active section (AU and Elev8's gang) wouldn't be able to attend it.

if elev8 is not there im not there.
;)

lol
lol and yes Mahg I agree with Slams statement. xD

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Note*

If we do manage to get enough interest to host a tournament in AL the weekend of Herb, I'd like to propose an update to the PR after it.
We've had 5 tournaments in AL. 3 of them being solid enough to gather player data from. We still have Ensley's tournament, something many of us probably wont be attending but eh. NJ's updating so I figured we would too soon.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Note*

If we do manage to get enough interest to host a tournament in AL the weekend of Herb, I'd like to propose an update to the PR after it.
We've had 5 tournaments in AL. 3 of them being solid enough to gather player data from. We still have Ensley's tournament, something many of us probably wont be attending but eh. NJ's updating so I figured we would too soon.
it wouldnt hurt to try, though...xD
hype?

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Hey Cheap this is random but you wouldn't happen to play Rook would you?
Funny you mention this, today was the first day I've played Rook in months. My grandparents play it every day, and today was a obligatory get together.

And guys, its hard to give up peach in brawl, the less I play her the more I want to.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
has it universally been decided that most of AL isn't going to herb? generally planning a tournament on the date of a large tournament is a bad idea unless the above terms have been established

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
/me did not play enough sets this weekend

hosting a tournament is hard :(
i wanna go to one where I can just d*** around and play friendlies the entire time

SleepyK

generally TOs don't do well at their tournaments because they don't have time to play friendlies. don't worry about it! the tournament went well and we had a great time.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
**** literacy, i got soul.
that is pretty much the quote i write by.
god ****.

im not even a writer.

**** man i dont know.

im so bad at it, i got all these ideas, but if i dont portray them in an over polished and edited fashion no one is able to tell what it is. because like... no one is a mindreader.

fml

edit: nevermind, im gonna change to a philosophy major... lolololol
all you do is sit on your *** and think about yourself.

SleepyK

lol back in greco roman times people got paid to sit around and think.

if only you could still do only that

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Thanks to the AU crew for their hospitality. I just got back home.

Driving sucks, but judging by SleepyK's post, the GA crew made it home as well. Lou looked about dead leaving IHOP.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Driving does suck.

I'm just glad I had somewhere to crash on Saturday, because I would have died trying to drive back to T-town after the tourney.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Driving does suck.

I'm just glad I had somewhere to crash on Saturday, because I would have died trying to drive back to T-town after the tourney.
I stayed in Auburn. Driving back to Mobile by myself that night would have been hell. Anyway, I'm about to crash again. G'nite.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Did I have any matches on stream? I don't think I played on the streamed tv at all, lol.

@Mahgnittoc - This Meltdown tourney is going to be Brawl only, right? I dunno how the turnout is going to be since FAP is in the same month and I don't want either tourney to cannabilize the turnout of the other.

About HERB, I really want to go, especially if it's during Spring Break, because I'll be visiting some old friends in North Carolina at that time, but things aren't looking too well :( If I find out for sure that I can't go to HERB then I'll just host a small tourney or something.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
its weird because I generally do well at my own tournaments

i can't make it to HERB

im going to new orleans that weekend

i plan to be wasted for four days straight

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
zero when is your next tournament?
I'm not sure.

I was originally thinking March 6th, but that would mean the 4th consecutive tourney in AL and then the week after that is Final Round and people will probably avoid my tourny to avoid getting their wallets *****. Who's all going to Final Round anyway?

The week after Final Round is open, but there's still the problem of everyone elses' finances preventing them from coming and HERB is the week after.

I'm not sure on whether or not I'm going to HERB.

For the people that aren't interested in going OoS to FR and HERB3, this would mean about a month of no tournies so I may host a tourny on whichever weekend is best for the most people.

I think I'll go ahead and make a tourny thread with a poll for y'all to vote on for best date. When we settle on a date, I will hype it up all across my apartments and my school to bolster attendance.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I think Reflex's gang and AU will be going to Final Round. I mean, they love Georgia stuff anyway so I don't see why they wouldn't go lol. Getting funds after a $15 door fee would be pretty hard for me, but probably not for them. XP They actually win money.

Herb is pretty far, I know Elev8 won't be going because if his brother does decide to go, they'll drive. I'm sure Elev8 wouldn't want to sit through the drive to AL to NC. So if Elev8 decides to go to a tournament instead of spending the weekend with his girlfriend, AU would be interested, along with Slam and maybe other competition from up north. Yes that means you Will_.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Mmk. So where is FAP at? I'll tell aloha that we probably shouldn't do it and maybe move it back to be around Xmas time or something like that.

Also I have an AL Diddy texture. Would anyone else like it?

Top Bottom