• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Did you ask Dan about car pooling?
Dan's about 40 min away from me. I'd probably try it if I weren't already going to TCS7, fulfilling my one-tourney-a-month quota.

@ Chad I'll text you tomorrow morning bout some dokaponfest plans.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Ah, didn't know you were still awake.

I'm not going to have a ride over to the apartment in time unless I come over at like 9am. :[

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
ya clearly this argument is going to go absolutely nowhere so let's discuss something else.

like turning munkus beaver's post into a meme picture thing.

SleepyK

so guys
i'm not 100% sure on who plays what smash game in alabama
i know i could check the first page but then i wouldn't be able to change the topic and first page post probably doesn't include b+ and the like

so who plays what

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i play brawl plus :D

dude, zero, hahahahhaha i totally didnt even see your post.
im sorry man.
i just woke up.

idk maybe later tonight we can smashes.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
jesus chris you people are gay

the discussion was actually civil for a second

im pretty sure this thread is anti-maturity

WHOA WHOA THEY'RE STARTING TO HAVE AN INTELLIGENT DISCUSSION WHOA WHOA MUST DERAIL THREAD MUST DERAIL THREAD

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Responses in bold.

My main argument for why the Meta****** infinite is worse than the drillshine "infinite" is because the Meta****** infinite is truly infinite.
if that's your main argument
and you know realize that i was talking about waveshine and not drillshine

i dont understand how your argument is still valid

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The thing about the new double footstool infinite is that it's not -that- situational. A lot of it positions itself, actually.

When you throw a banana straight down from a footstool, both the banana and the opponent go in the same horizontal direction. A footstool automatically puts yourself in that position. Also, footstools bypass shields, which makes Diddy's shield less useful in general.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
In other news that has nothing to with haters or the holocaust, I am breeding/training three new pokemon to debut in the 2v2 tourney in huntsville in march.

8)

You're already dead, Will underscore.

SleepyK

jesus chris you people are gay

the discussion was actually civil for a second

im pretty sure this thread is anti-maturity

WHOA WHOA THEY'RE STARTING TO HAVE AN INTELLIGENT DISCUSSION WHOA WHOA MUST DERAIL THREAD MUST DERAIL THREAD
is this supposed to highlight your maturity or smth

but tbh what kind of conclusion are we probably going to reach? the subject at hand is our opinions of games.
here..
both games are broken. we know this, but we play them because we like them and we have fun. do they both suck? general consensus on this smash boards forums is that no, they do not suck, since... well, we like them and we are having fun with them.
what are we going to reach i don't see it help

or are we going to melee vs brawl? let's not do that one please

now

is x technique more broken than q technique

this is sort of cool to be debating but please try not to throw out the pointless random flames for no reason.

once again i still think they're about the same in terms of brokenness, except the banana infinite can pretty much be done on most of the legal stages and fox's waveshine can only be done on ps.
however, because fox can waveshine infinite a larger pool of characters, i think it balances out.

unless the banana infinite can be done by other characters.
ughhh, if snake or MK could do that to diddy...

uuuughhhh

If at all possible, Munkus, you should work that post into your pokemon team's name.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
lol dude I just look for excuses to post pictures

also I stopped ever trying to have a real discussion around the point where you took an entire discussion I had on the ness boards and obviously without reading any of it you basically called me a scrub who is just looking to ban anything that I don't like

so now you know what I don't appreciate

uninformed, rude, personal accusations with no virtually basis in reality

You keep acting like you're the only rational man on smashboards and the only reason nobody ever tries to discuss things with you is because your arguments are too good or something. Let me give you a reality check. They aren't. That isn't the case at all. Nobody wants to talk to you seriously because you have shown multiple times that you could give a **** about other people's opinions.

It's the exact opposite of what you think it is. Every time you say something about smash or fighting games in general it is almost always trying to refute a basic gaming foundation. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel into a square, you're not going to prove that footstool infinites are harder to perform than waveshines or drillshines ever. And even if you do it will only be to yourself, because virtually every person who has ever played melee knows that drillshines take way more precision inputs and careful timing than footstool infinites. That is extremely basic knowledge to every person who has ever played both games, yet that is exactly the kind of thing you try to seriously refute. Basic truths that almost require no thought to prove, but you seem to think they're incorrect. Nobody wants to sit down and explain to you why 2 and 2 is 4 if you're in calculus, it should be obvious at this point.

by the way i didn't call YOU anything
and none of my posts about the ness thing were in response to anything YOU said.
they just happened to be about the same topic
and im pretty sure I've said this already.
so methinks you are the one who doesn't read posts.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9277769&postcount=18841

that was my first post about ness.
and im pretty sure you didn't even post anything in this thread before I posted it. besides a link to the ness boards.
a lot of other people posted stuff and thats what i was responding to. and

me said:
but my main reason was to respond to the question of "why the BRoomers don't ban everything in brawl"
which refers directly to a post by DanGR, not anything you said.

im guess no one read that part though.

also, im not sure there was one time during that whole ness debate where you responded to me with an actual point. So its not fair to say "thats when you stopped having discussions with me" because in actuality, you never did.

SleepyK

winnar makes good posts.

Team Party to the Holocaust

Hollow Cauze Haterz

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
is this supposed to highlight your maturity or smth

but tbh what kind of conclusion are we probably going to reach? the subject at hand is our opinions of games.
here..
both games are broken. we know this, but we play them because we like them and we have fun. do they both suck? general consensus on this smash boards forums is that no, they do not suck, since... well, we like them and we are having fun with them.
what are we going to reach i don't see it help

or are we going to melee vs brawl? let's not do that one please

now

is x technique more broken than q technique

this is sort of cool to be debating but please try not to throw out the pointless random flames for no reason.

once again i still think they're about the same in terms of brokenness, except the banana infinite can pretty much be done on most of the legal stages and fox's waveshine can only be done on ps.
however, because fox can waveshine infinite a larger pool of characters, i think it balances out.

uuuughhhh

If at all possible, Munkus, you should work that post into your pokemon team's name.
JWT's ENTIRE argument was based on the fact that one was infinite and one was not. The fact that that argument doesn't hold up anymore means that some progress was made in this discussion and we can go somewhere else with it.

if you guys are anti-intelligent discussion just let me know right now and i'll never try it again. no intelligent person debates in order to get everyone to agree with him. discussion is stimulating and enlightening just the sharing of ideas. but you guys start freaking out whenever there is a disagreement, whether it is done maturely or not. thre was no reason for this barrage of OMG I HATE THIS THREAD. me and jwt were being perfect civil. like i said if you guys want this thread to just be an blissful orgy of photo memes, just llet me know right now, i will take my discussions elsewhere.

it looks like MK is the person with whom its the easiest to do, based on the videos. but the fact that you HAVE to be fighting Diddy Kong throws the brokeness over to melee's side. and obviously its not going to work on most stages. FD is probably the only stage on which is likely that you can keep it going long enough for it to matter. battlefield has about three character lengths worth of space where this is viable and according to the videos you'll be doing some jumping around, platforms are bound to get in the way..sv and lylat don't have the open space needed either because of platforms. and counterpicks are obviously not going to be viable. you're not going to footstoll lock someone on pictochat or castle siege or japes or or something. delfino maybe for a limited amount of time

honestly, maybe this is because i've played brawl and have tried footstool infinites, i can't even fathom how you think waveshine infinites do or would occur less often and with less ease. waveshien infinites are like a basic thing to watch out for in melee. footstool infinites are the furthest things from most brawl players minds.
but thats the point of discussing

SleepyK

JWT's ENTIRE argument was based on the fact that one was infinite and one was not. The fact that that argument doesn't hold up anymore means that some progress was made in this discussion and we can go somewhere else with it.

if you guys are anti-intelligent discussion just let me know right now and i'll never try it again. no intelligent person debates in order to get everyone to agree with him. discussion is stimulating and enlightening just the sharing of ideas. but you guys start freaking out whenever there is a disagreement, whether it is done maturely or not. thre was no reason for this barrage of OMG I HATE THIS THREAD. me and jwt were being perfect civil. like i said if you guys want this thread to just be an blissful orgy of photo memes, just llet me know right now, i will take my discussions elsewhere.
actually given the history of debates in the AL thread, the majority of them are NOT civil, so an aversion to debates naturally formed. especially ones where you start throwing out flames and indirectly insult the smash community by insulting the games. imagine if i wanted to debate with you the benefits of living in huntsville vs living in birmingham, but i would throw in comments such as "alabama sucks" or "alabama is full of *******" (neither of which i believe) then it wouldn't be appealing to argue with me.

it looks like MK is the person with whom its the easiest to do, based on the videos. but the fact that you HAVE to be fighting Diddy Kong throws the brokeness over to melee's side. and obviously its not going to work on most stages. FD is probably the only stage on which is likely that you can keep it going long enough for it to matter. battlefield has about three character lengths worth of space where this is viable and according to the videos you'll be doing some jumping around, platforms are bound to get in the way..sv and lylat don't have the open space needed either because of platforms. and counterpicks are obviously not going to be viable. you're not going to footstoll lock someone on pictochat or castle siege or japes or or something. delfino maybe for a limited amount of time
but in melee, you have to be fighting fox.

most of the cast can do it to diddy on any flat part of the stages you mentioned
vs
fox can do it to around half of the cast and only on one stage within a limited time frame. the stage also has a clear indicator of when the stages will change and you don't have to approach the areas in which the infinite can be performed. plus the stage is a counterpick stage and can be banned. also there is a 2/3 chance of the stage shifting to an infinite friendly zone. it's not 100% of the time.

Not to mention in the video, you can clearly dictate which direction you want to send diddy in by jumping on his head... which means you can send him back and forth... which means you can keep him trapped in a small area, effectively trapping him infinitely.

also thanks, munkus.

Professional Smasher Will Underscore, prepare to be destroyed.

By the Holocaust.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

uuuughhhh
Thankfully, outside of Meta Knight (and Wario/Dedede, I guess), everyone else is a bad character.

Squirtle can do it. :bee:

I wonder how much this benefits those who have a Diddy partner in Teams. Even without an outright infinite, it could set up for a a KO or keep one person stuck while the other fights an advantaged matchup, especially on a large stage, like Stadium 1.

j00t

Smash Champion
all i can see is jwt's palatable failure
hey dude shaddup >:[ lol

I admitted I was wrong that one is an infinite and one isn't (mainly because I was thinking the wrong thing) :x

anyways you *****es better go to my tourney or I'll hate you all

Will_

Smash Journeyman
In other news that has nothing to with haters or the holocaust, I am breeding/training three new pokemon to debut in the 2v2 tourney in huntsville in march.

8)

You're already dead, Will underscore.
My pokemon = Godzilla

Your pokemon = Japan

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
maybe people are just too sensitive then.
if you said to me in a non-joking manner something like, "alabama is full of *******"
to me, thats an interesting statement that I would like to hear elaboration about
i dont just get my sand in my ****** everytime someone says something negative about some group that I have chosen to place myself in.
i know for a fact that I'm not a ******.
and I know for a fact that you would probably not be personally calling me a ****** when you say something like that.
so me getting mad about something like that is just me being a drama queen imo

obviously if you were intentionally being a **** and said like "you're all ******* in alabama haha" then that would be offensive. but obv thats not what i've done.

until very recently, I've never called anyone by name or referred to any specific group except a generalization of the community. thats why I don't appreciate it when people say YOU SIR ARE A TROLL. YOU SIR ARE STUPID. ETC. Like, I didn't say anything about you personally, why are you getting offended and calling me names? the reason i dont call anyone names is because I don't have anything against anyone.
imagine if I said something like, "I love you all". and then sleepyk himself comes up to me and says, "aw really thats sweet lets go out sometime?"
That doesn't make anysense, but thats basically what has been happening except in a negative way.

getting offended because I say the game you play is dumb is even more ridiculous to me (esp. considering that you all are aware that I play and love all of these games), its just a game if you like it play it who cares what I think about it?

it seems pretty clear to me that melee and brawl have basically equal amount of dumb stuff in them, and melee players seem to think its so obviously false that they dont bother arguing or responding to arguments. The reason arguments are never civil is because people get butthurt really easily over things that werent even directed at them and at the point resort to flaming and being childish

i've never flamed anyone honestly. its surprising that you would accuse me of that. calling someone a scrub is not an insult, its a statement. I'm a scrub at Street Fighter, for example. its a fact. Im a scrub at tennis. I don't think I've ever, once, seriously insulted anyone here. ever. in the four years i've been a member of this board

SleepyK

maybe people are just too sensitive then.
if you said to me in a non-joking manner something like, "alabama is full of *******"
to me, thats an interesting statement that I would like to hear elaboration about
i dont just get my sand in my ****** everytime someone says something negative about some group that I have chosen to place myself in.
i know for a fact that I'm not a ******.
and I know for a fact that you would probably not be personally calling me a ****** when you say something like that.
so me getting mad about something like that is just me being a drama queen imo

obviously if you were intentionally being a **** and said like "you're all ******* in alabama haha" then that would be offensive. but obv thats not what i've done.

until very recently, I've never called anyone by name or referred to any specific group except a generalization of the community. thats why I don't appreciate it when people say YOU SIR ARE A TROLL. YOU SIR ARE STUPID. ETC. Like, I didn't say anything about you personally, why are you getting offended and calling me names? the reason i dont call anyone names is because I don't have anything against anyone.
imagine if I said something like, "I love you all". and then sleepyk himself comes up to me and says, "aw really thats sweet lets go out sometime?"
That doesn't make anysense, but thats basically what has been happening except in a negative way.

getting offended because I say the game you play is dumb is even more ridiculous to me (esp. considering that you all are aware that I play and love all of these games), its just a game if you like it play it who cares what I think about it?
it's the context, dude. i thought i alluded to that well enough.

also no homo.

and if we're all getting offended, perhaps the one who is lacking in sensitivity is... you!

it seems pretty clear to me that melee and brawl have basically equal amount of dumb stuff in them, and melee players seem to think its so obviously false that they dont bother arguing or responding to arguments.
this is insulting and can be considered flaming.
you categorize melee players and say something that is generally untrue.

scenario :i encountered a few american residents and i play a game of football with them and have a great time. i told him i preferred soccer over american football but i presented my argument poorly and said 'american football sucks and is dumb.' the people i encountered were football fans, and they were offended, even though i had just come from having a great time with them! i could not wrap my head around why they were insulted in the slightest.

while i had my good fun trolling about barlwlwrw, i know that a lot of the smashers who play it are indeed cool dudes.

tbh everybody doesn't think the exact same way you or i do, so things that aren't offensive to some might be offensive to otherz.

ho oh groundbreaking social concepts

then you say

The reason arguments are never civil is because people get butthurt really easily over things that werent even directed at them and at the point resort to flaming and being childish
which is kind of what you been doin broski

i've never flamed anyone honestly. its surprising that you would accuse me of that. calling someone a scrub is not an insult, its a statement. I'm a scrub at Street Fighter, for example. its a fact. Im a scrub at tennis. I don't think I've ever, once, seriously insulted anyone here. ever. in the four years i've been a member of this board
perhaps not directly.

hey now, there's no malice here guys. neither of us are angry or upset!

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
it's the context, dude. i thought i alluded to that well enough.

also no homo.

and if we're all getting offended, perhaps the one who is lacking in sensitivity is... you!
obviously.
I just d idn't think I would have to sugar coat everything I say around here.
this is insulting and can be considered flaming.
you categorize melee players and say something that is generally untrue.
In my experience, this is the general response I get from melee players. perhaps my experience is different than others, but thats is what happens most of the time to me and to people that I have noticed. I am not insulting anyone I am stating my experience. in my experience, the intolerance and immaturity of certain melee players are the reason why there has never been a civil melee vs brawl debate. which i find to be a shame. obviously there are also dumb brawl players who ruin threads, but honest to god in my experience its usually the melee people.

but this goes back to what i've been saying. if you are not one of those dumb melee people there would be no reason for you get offended at that. (i guess if you are one of those people, though, there still wouldn't be much reason to get offended, because it would be true)

which is kind of what you been doin broski
No, people are directly stating my name and insulting me and accusing me personally of things. thats not what I've done to ANYONE ever.

perhaps not directly.
If I don't directly say anything about you, its not my fault if you get offended, that's more on your end than mine. if I say, 'i hate brussel sprouts'. and you get offended at me because you like brussel sprouts, how is that my fault? because if i had something to say about a specific person I would say it. If I didn't say anything about you, it makes no sense to get offended at the thing said because obv it wasn't directed at you or i would have said your name.

moogle

Smash Ace
Dan's about 40 min away from me. I'd probably try it if I weren't already going to TCS7, fulfilling my one-tourney-a-month quota.
I'm going to TCS7 (smash64 yay). As for "That Ain't Falco," it's a possibility.

There should be a b+ section on front page. Since the community of that game isn't dumb.
It could happen. I feel like I should clean up the front page. Some people haven't been seen since 2008 (or earlier).

My pokemon = Godzilla

Your pokemon = Japan
reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnzYG0ZkrXg

Time for more image spam imo.

Where did that picture of the Dancing Cat that Coach posted go?

and of course,
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=7272327#post7272327

A lot of people around here said:
Never change, AL thread

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Why was my post completely ignored?

No one cares about talking about fighting ****ty Kong?

SleepyK

obviously.
I just d idn't think I would have to sugar coat everything I say around here.
see this wording can be misconstrued as insulting since we don't get intonation online. i now know what you mean by this. pure denotation and no connotation. but do you understand how this could come off as potentially insulting now?

In my experience, this is the general response I get from melee players. perhaps my experience is different than others, but thats is what happens most of the time to me and to people that I have noticed. I am not insulting anyone I am stating my experience. in my experience, the intolerance and immaturity of certain melee players are the reason why there has never been a civil melee vs brawl debate. which i find to be a shame. obviously there are also dumb brawl players who ruin threads, but honest to god in my experience its usually the melee people.
yes, in your experience.

No, people are directly stating my name and insulting me and accusing me personally of things. thats not what I've done to ANYONE ever.
remember, context and undertones. can be more insulting.

If I don't directly say anything about you, its not my fault if you get offended, that's more on your end than mine. if I say, 'i hate brussel sprouts'. and you get offended at me because you like brussel sprouts, how is that my fault? because if i had something to say about a specific person I would say it. If I didn't say anything about you, it makes no sense to get offended at the thing said because obv it wasn't directed at you or i would have said your name.
bad analse--- analogy.
did you ignore my example entirely? j c.

scenario :i encountered a few american residents and i play a game of football with them and have a great time. i told him i preferred soccer over american football but i presented my argument poorly and said 'american football sucks and is dumb.' I repeated it over and over. the people i encountered were football fans, and they were offended, even though i had just come from having a great time with them! i could not wrap my head around why they were insulted in the slightest.
do you not see what is wrong with this picture

i see what is wrong with this one

cat's don't dance

oh you cat
you don't dance

neither do you, other cat

btw every time i signature am i contributing to image spam

stealth3654

Smash Lord
I'm going to TCS7 (smash64 yay). As for "That Ain't Falco," it's a possibility.
You should come! From the looks of it, we have over 40 people coming to Auburn's tourney. Also, some locals are bringing smash 64. :D

Thankfully, outside of Meta Knight (and Wario/Dedede, I guess), everyone else is a bad character.

Squirtle can do it. :bee:

I wonder how much this benefits those who have a Diddy partner in Teams. Even without an outright infinite, it could set up for a a KO or keep one person stuck while the other fights an advantaged matchup, especially on a large stage, like Stadium 1.
....What? Is there a thread for this?

SleepyK

**** you for making me look up the Godzilla wiki for a witty retort. You win this round.

Oh man, the possibilities...

My Poke, base 125 speed

Your Poke, still using razor leaf
professional rapper will underscore?

billy, is lounis' car still in need of 2 more? dan and i interest

also have you guys seen this

Top Bottom