• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Winnar

Smash Lord
Falcon used to be my favorite to watch. Now he's like my second or third favorite.

I think Samus might be the most fun to watch.

Winnar

Smash Lord
:(

Joking or not, I just like watching the meticulous spacing that goes into playing Samus.

Falcon is like

**** YEAH I'M FALCON KNEE COMBOS INTO ANOTHER KNEE INTO ANOTHER KNEE **** YEAH

Which after years of seeing it it's like meh

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
So few people do them right that good Falcon combos still excite me.
I don't know, for me the only combos that seem like "oh I've seen this a billion times already why should I care" are the bread and butter combos on FD. The only time I can remember seriously freaking out at an FD combo in the last year was Armada's Peach f'ing up space animals there, because I'd never seen a Peach move that fast. Other than that, the platform stages keep everything fresh to me, especially the inventive ways Falco players tech chase on them now.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
it definitely took me nearly a semester to get to the point where I could comfortably L-cancel and wavedash in a match :-/ and honestly I still mess up all the time *shrugs*
some of us are slow with tech skill.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i have OCD and tourettes. i am no good at tech skill. its not in my nature. i still cant even DACUS in brawl.

lmao

Xeedoc

Smash Cadet
I have a friend who plays melee, he's probably getting it for me for a late birthday present.
So, I'll be playing that alot more than I have been.
Refill for a Route 44 drink at sonic during happy hour 44 cents too good.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
I was practicing Melee Link the other day in training mode. I didn't find L-canceling difficult at all. It's just like airdodging in Brawl just before I hit the ground so I can buffer my next movement, but with a more strict window to do the airdodge. If you do that consistently in Brawl, I think you'll find l-canceling in Melee rather easy. Also, the timing is a bit different, but that's because Melee is inherently faster. It's a big change from using a really floaty character in Brawl to a fast fast-faller. :( That and I gotta think ahead way more, which is, by the way, a part of the cool factor Melee has compared to a lot of traditional fighting games.

Anyways, I don't really understand why Link isn't a relatively good character in Melee. He's got good range, combos, kill power, recovery, and projectile game. Is he just too slow or what? Bad setups maybe?

*Admits he doesn't know a lot about Melee*
That's the great thing about Melee. Any character can be freaking amazing if put in the right hands (NES's hands, in this case). Link is not a fast character and he's heavy, so he's easy to combo. His saving grace is his projectiles, but you have to be creative and use mindgaaaames.

But yeah, NES could explain it so much better, so.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
The first time I l-canceled I shffl'ed back and forth on FD for a couple hours with Link. That was late 06, when I lived in atlanta.

*feels old*

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Link's combos aren't as reliable as top tier characters (usually requires somehow hitting a character up on a platform then upairing or landing lucky uptilts). He has barely any grab game which does hurt in Melee though when he does get a grab he has good setups with it. He gets camped by characters like fox and sheik who are just way too fast for him to keep up with while they have more spammable projectiles. In addition, he can't kill worth a **** unless he gets a lucky dair or upb (good luck with that) or he gets an edgeguard (thank god his edgeguard game is pretty good).

As for his matchups in general, it mostly even until top tier + Falcon where he then has trouble with fast campy characters that can edgeguard him easily, have more priority, and just have more reliable damaging combos as him. Marth is a little evenish but all those other characters have those advantages with sheik just having a nice chaingrab.

j00t

Smash Champion
currently I enjoy using GnW the most... particularly against Fox/Falco... it's something about those infinite chaingrabs that makes me giddy. Andy would understand, since he plays like a homo.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
IIRC, isnt Shiek the Melee version of MK?
In the way that MK makes many lower characters unusable in tournaments? yes

In the way that MK has no counters and dominates everything? No, Shiek is at a disadvantage with a few characters and goes even with even fewer, but same with the rest of the top tier. In fact, only 1 shiek main made it into the top 25 at Genesis.

Winnar

Smash Lord
In the way that MK makes many lower characters unusable in tournaments? yes

In the way that MK has no counters and dominates everything? No, Shiek is at a disadvantage with a few characters and goes even with even fewer, but same with the rest of the top tier. In fact, only 1 shiek main made it into the top 25 at Genesis.
There are very few Sheik mains nowadays, only 1 in the top 25 isn't terribly surprising.

MK does not dominate everything, stop misusing hyperbole.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Sheik has no counters and no bad matchups.
Sheik vs Fox is like 55 45 in Fox's favor or something like that, and I think that's the only matchup in the game that isn't either even or in sheik's favor.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
MK does not dominate everything, stop misusing hyperbole.
Bah, fine. Everything else was mostly true though. :)

Sheik has no counters and no bad matchups.
Sheik does have bad match-ups though, both Fox and Falco are out of her favor.
And that depends on what you mean by counters, many people use that word differently. And IMO, Falco is a soft counter for Sheik.

mslano

Smash Journeyman
Um...Ice Climbers wreck Sheik. Sheik's matchups with the rest of the top tiers are either even or only slightly in Sheik's favor, so those characters can overcome with the right play style.

On another note, to those learning Melee and trying to improve, my advice is to keep trying new things in every match. New patterns, new attacks, new approaches, new edgeguards, etc. If you find that these new things aren't working, try other new things. Keep doing that. My play style is largely built on tricks and adapting to opponents tricks because my tech skill is not on the level of the really technical players. Still, I've spent a lot of time trying new things in friendlies and in tournaments so that I can usually outmaneuver my opponents or surprise them with unusual play.

I'm not sure how well this advice will suit any of you guys since my play style is almost universally noted as "weird" but I think the core message of trying new things (with the foreknowledge that not everything will work, but some things will) could be beneficial.

On another another note, I miss all you guys, but may be seeing you all very soon and more often after that.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Um...Ice Climbers wreck Sheik. Sheik's matchups with the rest of the top tiers are either even or only slightly in Sheik's favor, so those characters can overcome with the right play style.

On another note, to those learning Melee and trying to improve, my advice is to keep trying new things in every match. New patterns, new attacks, new approaches, new edgeguards, etc. If you find that these new things aren't working, try other new things. Keep doing that. My play style is largely built on tricks and adapting to opponents tricks because my tech skill is not on the level of the really technical players. Still, I've spent a lot of time trying new things in friendlies and in tournaments so that I can usually outmaneuver my opponents or surprise them with unusual play.

I'm not sure how well this advice will suit any of you guys since my play style is almost universally noted as "weird" but I think the core message of trying new things (with the foreknowledge that not everything will work, but some things will) could be beneficial.

On another another note, I miss all you guys, but may be seeing you all very soon and more often after that.
Quoted for it being such great advice

Also :D @ that last bit

anomaly

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure falco and jiggs are terrible sheik match-ups, the worst imo. I remember asking a bunch of sheik players how to play falco at my first tournament, and the only response I got was: don't play falco with sheik.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Lmao IMO, any matchup is winnable if you know what to do. Just wavedash all around the place until your opponent hits you =3

@shaSlam - Is that bad? =x

Geou

Smash Apprentice
My friend came over a few days back and we played some Melee... and man, am I bad at it. Lol, I'm so used to the buffering of Brawl even controlling my character was difficult, not the mention wavedashing.

@Serin: I've been here about 4 years but only have around 100 posts, haha. But then again, I don't come on Smashboards every often.

Top Bottom