• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
i got matched up against Phloat... and then Zom-B...
pika cam got a bye and a somewhat easier bracket.
danGR just *****.

so i didnt do good.
i got eliminated atfer 2nd round. my matchups were ridiculous.
ut guess what AL?
i didnt choke. i can honestly say i played all my matches with the upmost confidence and did the best that i could against Zom-B and Phloat.
i even took Phloat to the 3rd game.
he went snake and i TOTALLY forgot about how much t1j complained about the D3 matchup and didn't switch to D3...
and then Zom-B beat me. i need to get better at the ROB matchup.

pika cam is a lucky *******. i am envious.
I beat KO Kingpin didn't I? KO beat Zom-B in the loser's bracket. I think he beat Phloat too. He eventually came back in losers bracket and got his revenge on me by knocking me out of the tournament. I lost to Ajax and KO Kingpin, the 2nd and 3rd place people in the tournament, so don't tell me I had an easy bracket. I was lucky enough to get a bye though.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
yeah i wasnt doubting your skill.
i was just saying.
you probably did better than i would have given the same people you faced.

i just hate wario dittos -_-

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
lemme explain what happened in pools

instead of doing regular round robin pools, he did swiss pools. basically there were a bunch of pools but instead of everyone playing each other, you played a mini swiss tournament in each pool.

except the people running pools were too inept to know how to do this properly.

if you don't know, swiss tournaments basically go like this. everyone plays someone, then all the winners play other winners and losers play other losers...then the 3-0's play other 3-0's and 2-1's play other 2-1's and so on until there is only one undefeated person left.

so here's how my pool went:

I play Viral, some local scrub. beat him. i'm 1-0.
I play Bear, a really good player from Texas, he's 1-0 as well. I lose. I'm 1-1.
I play Cows, a so-so local Pikachu who is also 1-1. I win. I'm 2-1.
i play Lee Martin. who is 3-0
wat
so of course I lose to the best lucario in the country
and there's only four rounds. and apparently 2-2 wasn't enough to make it out.
i was just unlucky enough to be matched up against the two best people in my pool as two of the my four matches. esp. considering that I wasn't even supposed to be facing an undefeated player when i wasn't undefeated.
note: there were 9 people in the pool 6 of whom i could/would have beaten most likely.
but because they decided to run pools a dumb way i get unlucky.

similar things happened to george and i think moogle too.

i think nu just got screwed though. he should have made it out regardless.

i just don't want you to go home thinking Louisianna has some super tough comp or something.
on the contrary, one of hte guys in my pool asked how do I do "that slidy thing you did with snake"

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
yeah i wasnt doubting your skill.
i was just saying.
you probably did better than i would have given the same people you faced.

i just hate wario dittos -_-
Dude you're really good. I'm glad we got to meet and play, it just sucks it had to be in the first round of loser's bracket. If it makes you feel better you were probably one of my toughest matches in loser's.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
Dude you're really good. I'm glad we got to meet and play, it just sucks it had to be in the first round of loser's bracket. If it makes you feel better you were probably one of my toughest matches in loser's.
thank you thank you. lol
i played well. it just didnt look good on brackets lol.
and you 2-0'd me and phloat only 2-1'd me.
you were a tougher match for me than him.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Swiss pools fail as far as I can tell. While fighting everyone takes longer, I think it's more fair and accurate to fight everyone in the respective pools. Would have been worth taking 2 days to do the tourney I think.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
They work when they're done correctly, but it seemed like no one knew how to manage Swiss that was involved in running pools.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
Okay SO. I'm really trying to make TCS5. But the thing is, I don't know anyone else from GA going, and I don't have a car of my own. I could probably get a ride to Phenix Cityish pretty easy though, and Luis said Raf would probably be able to help me out some from there... However this ride would probably be on Friday. I wouldn't beable to go back until Sunday or Monday. Therefore I would need housing for a large amount of days(Friday night, Saturday night, PROBABLY Sunday night). Is this possible?

Edit: I would bring my own meals, toiletries, sleeping bag, etc. I just need floor space guys. I have books too you don't even have to talk to me.

Edit2: I might use a microwave too. Or something.

Winnar

Smash Lord
They work when they're done correctly, but it seemed like no one knew how to manage Swiss that was involved in running pools.
Our pool was the slowest because the guy who ran it was trying to make it way more complicated than it had to be. He was creating numerical ranking systems based on who beat who in which round and averaging things that didn't need to be averaged...

In the end you could have just done what janitor said and had the same result. Except T1J's method requires 1/10 the amount of time and brainpower. As an engineer major I have to say EFFICIENCY FTW

IMO the pools were handled more poorly than...anything. Having limited time is NO excuse...just ugh. I think I'm not going to any more tournaments hosted by fakegeorge :x At least not the big ones...

It seriously pissed me off when so many AL smashers didn't make it out of pools. If I could have given any of you my slot in brackets then I would have in an instant. George, Janitor, Moogle, nu...you guys deserved to be in brackets way more than I did.

I'm really not okay about this.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Well it's all said and done now. We made it out alive and that's the important thing.

Also, with swiss brackets, it's possible that in the fourth round, there can be only one person undefeated. If there's one 3-0 and two 2-1, one of the 2-1's gotta face the 3-0 or else it'd be even more messed up. Swiss works much much much better on a large scale, not in pools of 8 people or so.

Also, I'm feeling much better now. I really felt like I was dying (probably cause I was).

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
it seemed to me that the singles in Last Smash was more of a popularity contest than anything...

it looked like he wanted only big names from out of state places. idk how to try to comprehend that.
it was too premediatated and not random enough. hell, didnt he even organize who was in each pool by himself?

random is the way to go imo.

and janitor: i beat his snake. but in the 3rd round he asked me if i wanted to change and i said no then he changed to wario because i didnt change. i shouldve just went d3 becasue i thought he was staying snake, but i didnt think my d3 could take a snake.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
it seemed to me that the singles in Last Smash was more of a popularity contest than anything...

it looked like he wanted only big names from out of state places. idk how to try to comprehend that.
it was too premediatated and not random enough. hell, didnt he even organize who was in each pool by himself?

random is the way to go imo.

and janitor: i beat his snake. but in the 3rd round he asked me if i wanted to change and i said no then he changed to wario because i didnt change. i shouldve just went d3 becasue i thought he was staying snake, but i didnt think my d3 could take a snake.
oh i read it wrong.

but definitely l2 fight snake with dedede lol

chaingrab--edgeguard = win

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Man, that's terrible guys:( I'm really excited about June 13. TCS tournies are so fun to go to, not only to hang out with everyone, but because they are run so smoothly. It's amazing how simple things like that can affect the overall experience. I have no doubt that players perform better with a well-managed tournament as well.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Well it's all said and done now. We made it out alive and that's the important thing.

Also, with swiss brackets, it's possible that in the fourth round, there can be only one person undefeated. If there's one 3-0 and two 2-1, one of the 2-1's gotta face the 3-0 or else it'd be even more messed up. Swiss works much much much better on a large scale, not in pools of 8 people or so.

Also, I'm feeling much better now. I really felt like I was dying (probably cause I was).
therein lies the problem with doing swiss pools (besides the fact that it defeats the purpose of there being pools)

at any rate, if there's an undefeated person and he's the only one, he should auto advance, and the others should do tie breakers.
having a lower seed person fight a higher seed person undermines the entire theory behind the swiss format

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff on winning BatGG, Dan.

The tournament was meh, but the laser tag kicked ***. That and the smashfest at the apartment which we should have more of.

Xeedoc

Smash Cadet
Finally home, train rides are fun... for the first 2 hours.
The next 5, not so much. I'm glad I went, it seems it showed my parents how far I will go for tourneys (lulpun)
I'm hoping to go to the t-town tourney too.
Might be picking up samus... idk.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
How big was each pool?

ohhh that's another lolworthy thing about this tournament.

he put pools together in advance, which is honorable and smart...but you should change the pools based on attendance

instead, he left the pools the way they were and if people didn't show up, guess what.
THERE WERE BYES IN THE POOL.

YES. some people got byes.

IN POOLS.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
Okay SO. I'm really trying to make TCS5. But the thing is, I don't know anyone else from GA going, and I don't have a car of my own. I could probably get a ride to Phenix Cityish pretty easy though, and Luis said Raf would probably be able to help me out some from there... However this ride would probably be on Friday. I wouldn't beable to go back until Sunday or Monday. Therefore I would need housing for a large amount of days(Friday night, Saturday night, PROBABLY Sunday night). Is this possible?

Edit: I would bring my own meals, toiletries, sleeping bag, etc. I just need floor space guys. I have books too you don't even have to talk to me.

Edit2: I might use a microwave too. Or something.
So I just want to draw a little attention to this since it's at the end of a page...

Thanks. :)

Majist

Smash Journeyman
So, J00t, you should humor me and be my doubles partner for the Play'n'Trade tourney if doubles actually happen. c'mon, you know you wanna be on the manliest team ever. >:]

Or whoever wants to. Doesn't really matter. But just know that j00t is way sexier than all of you.

j00t

Smash Champion
So, J00t, you should humor me and be my doubles partner for the Play'n'Trade tourney if doubles actually happen. c'mon, you know you wanna be on the manliest team ever. >:]

Or whoever wants to. Doesn't really matter. But just know that j00t is way sexier than all of you.
Aww, thanks.

Uhmm... okay I guess I will. I'll return as the reigning champion of Play'n'Trade and fall gloriously to DanGR or Moogle. :p

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
So I just want to draw a little attention to this since it's at the end of a page...

Thanks. :)
Well, we certainly managed to house a few people Friday night. Not to mention the person organizing the tournament lives there.

anomaly

Smash Apprentice
ohhh that's another lolworthy thing about this tournament.

he put pools together in advance, which is honorable and smart...but you should change the pools based on attendance

instead, he left the pools the way they were and if people didn't show up, guess what.
THERE WERE BYES IN THE POOL.

YES. some people got byes.

IN POOLS.
rofl.. that's a really bad assumption, that pre-attendance = attendance.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so I'm not gonna sit on my hands about doubles. Someone partner with me for TCS5.

...pwease?

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
Well, we certainly managed to house a few people Friday night. Not to mention the person organizing the tournament lives there.
Well just Friday night is one thing... but I need a few more days/nights than that. So it's a little more than usual housing.

Ajax615

Smash Apprentice
Just came on this board to congratulate danger. Ha once again good battles. Lol admit it I'm the only sheik thattl f**k with an olimar lol. But 2nd place for a sheik like me ain't bad. Lol until then laterz bro. And pikacam rematch? Lol

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Just came on this board to congratulate danger. Ha once again good battles. Lol admit it I'm the only sheik thattl f**k with an olimar lol. But 2nd place for a sheik like me ain't bad. Lol until then laterz bro. And pikacam rematch? Lol
You know you meant Cam...

T.T

Top Bottom