• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Summer 2015 Melee Power Ranking

Shenanigan

Smash Apprentice
You're talking like we were the driving force behind these spots. I just kinda nod my head or shake my head. Although I do feel like Spade is good enough to be where he is.
Well at some point one of you had to sit down and say, "Spade deserves to be on this power ranking." And not only that, someone decided that in addition to being PR worthy, he also deserved to be ranked above Mikeyy and Jimb0. Now if it turns out that Keno was the one who argued for that, then I apologize and redirect my question at him.

The truth is this list is formed mostly off of speculation because we don't play each other often enough to form an accurate PR. That's why I originally said forming a PR for our state is kind of silly.
See, this really bothers me. I can understand not having much info on Mikeyy and Wafe, but Ninkendo and Zoma have been to multiple tournaments in your own city, not to mention all the places they've traveled to around the state. And even if they haven't directly played each other, you can still speculate off of relative placings and common opponents.

I'ma get out of here before there is civil war

peace bruhs
Get back here, I'm not done with you yet.

Edit: I think the top 5 are pretty set in stone and that's what really matters amirite
I agree that the top five are pretty unarguable, but I believe that that makes 6-10 all the more important to get right.

Also @ j00t j00t in particular, I get the impression that you don't really care about anyone outside of the top five. And that would be perfectly fine, were you not on the PR committee. When you're in a position like that people expect at least a little effort, not just you nodding or shaking your head and saying "forming a PR for our state is kind of silly."

Shenanigan

Smash Apprentice
His only argument was "Spade doesn't belong here", and I pretty much said "Even though I feel he does, it is true that he doesn't have any good results so I agree". How was that not a defense :x
I gave you several tournament results, which is certainly better than:
I do feel like Spade is good enough to be where he is.

Last edited:

Zoma

Smash Journeyman
His only argument was "Spade doesn't belong here", and I pretty much said "Even though I feel he does, it is true that he doesn't have any good results so I agree". How was that not a defense :x
That's not a defense, that's submission.

j00t

Smash Champion
@ Shenanigan Shenanigan I don't really care about this entire PR because I do think it is silly for such a small state that hardly ever travels anywhere to have a PR. As far as I'm concerned moogle and I are the only ones on this PR that travel anywhere outside of the south. If you don't want me to be a panelist then I will gladly accept. As for Ninkendo and Zoma, I've only been in the same tournament with them once (HASL 5?). I'm not the one that looks at all the tournament results from every tournament and tries to form a PR based on that. I'm a panelist for my opinions, that is all.

@ Zoma Zoma I admitted to making a mistake, what more do you want from me? I'm not infallible. I make mistakes.

Looks like we'll need to redo the bottom 3 of this PR, and after that I am done with it

Last edited:

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I agreed with spade's positioning despite not being from huntsville. He is a much tougher opponent than anyone listed below him, or anyone not on this list.

If this list is to be based off of SKILL, then spade is where he should be. If it should be a point-based system for ranking tournament placements, then lets do that.

Last edited:

Zoma

Smash Journeyman
If you can't defend power rankings, they're just collections of random people you think are good.

And that's fine, but making a thread on smashboards about the collection of random people you think are good sends a haughty vibe.

moogle

Smash Ace
1) I think it would benefit us all to list our ranking criteria in the first post. Here's Washington's PR, for example:
http://smashboards.com/threads/wa-power-rankings-august-2014-update.94491/

From that post: "You will be positioned not strictly on tournament placings, but who you play in tournament, their status as a player and how it went down. If tournament results are too close to decide placings we will use our best judgement."

It would help the panel to have a consistent set of rules to use when deciding the rankings, and it would help the resultant list hold up better against scrutiny and criticism.

2) I think Spade's best quality win is over DairDevil from TN (Comparable to Zylo/saintrage/Roboturner IMO).
video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAlPvv4BzoM
KiT Results: http://smashboards.com/threads/387543/
TN Power Rankings: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TNPowerRankingsSmash/

Going on results alone, I think Mikey, Jimb0, Zoma, and NinKenDo have better quality wins compared to Spade. I think Spade has significantly improved in the past few months, but his results so far aren't as impressive as the others.

3) We should probably find a south AL representative to replace Ryker.

Last edited:

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
To Mobile Crew's defence, we go to as many tournaments as we can find. It's just that central AL's has been no-man's-land since the dawn of time, MS is a terrible state, LA has been drama city for the last year, Pensacola doesn't count and Tallahassee only hosts monthlies on the same weekend we do. Everything else is an 8 hour drive.

Now to bash Mobile (melee) Crew. WHY THE **** DIDN'T YOU GUYS COME TO AUSOM? Baka Stupid dummies. Pensacola literally brought the house and you dweebs sat at home.

Now that I've blamed everyone else. I'm going to go on with my perfect life. ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Last edited:

rolfcopter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BabySteps
To Mobile Crew's defence, we go to as many tournaments as we can find. It's just that central AL's has been no-man's-land since the dawn of time, MS is a terrible state, LA has been drama city for the last year, Pensacola doesn't count and Tallahassee only hosts monthlies on the same weekend we do. Everything else is an 8 hour drive.

Now to bash Mobile (melee) Crew. WHY THE **** DIDN'T YOU GUYS COME TO AUSOM? Baka Stupid dummies. Pensacola literally brought the house and you dweebs sat at home.

Now that I've blamed everyone else. I'm going to go on with my perfect life. ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ
but rag, nick, zap, and matt all went 2 the last ausom

j00t

Smash Champion
Gonna post matchup results for everyone on the PR from HASL because I'm feeling weird right now

j00t 2-0 Spud
j00t 2-0 Giga Chicken
j00t 2-0 Bob
j00t 2-1 Saintrage
j00t 3-1 moogle (Winners Finals)
j00t 3-0 moogle (Grand Finals)

moogle 2-0 Halt
moogle 2-1 Joogle (da fuq?)
moogle 2-0 Zoma
moogle 2-1 Keno
moogle 1-3 j00t (Winners Finals)
moogle 3-0 Keno (Losers Finals)
moogle 0-3 j00t (Grand Finals)

Keno 2-0 Moot
Keno 2-0 Hunybear
Keno 2-0 Spade
Keno 1-2 moogle
Keno 2-0 Bob
Keno 2-0 Fang (RIP ICs)
Keno 0-3 moogle

Saintrage 2-0 Forbidden
Saintrage 2-0 power
Saintrage 2-1 Jimb0
Saintrage 1-2 j00t
Saintrage 0-2 Fang

Jimb0 2-0 Moo
Jimb0 2-0 Tieske
Jimb0 1-2 Saintrage
Jimb0 2-0 Mer
Jimb0 1-2 Bob (GOOD **** BOB)

Spade 2-0 Dee
Spade 2-0 Cynic
Spade 0-2 Keno
Spade 0-2 Fang

Thoughts:

Jimbo and Spade had poor showings.

Saintrage loses to Fang for a second time! Is it the ICs matchup or is Fang just a beast?

Fang is pretty good and might be worthy of a PR slot.

Jimb0 and Spade didn't get to play in bracket. Jim wants blood :O

Also j00t is the best

Last edited:

Mikeyy

Smash Apprentice
My wins greatly surpass anything Zylo has done, fact.
I've taken Rice to game five, last hit, last stock in a winners finals set and he's better than anyone in the state.
I've beaten Ragnarok, Zone, Ninkendo, Oppa, and I body Roboturner.
Zylo got bopped by Robo and lost to Ninkendo.
Zylo also lost to Jimbo, then Zone beat Jimbo.
Sure I have a few questionable losses, but sometimes that happens.
I'm also an insomniac, so sometimes I compete in tournaments after being awake for 30 plus hours.
At the mothers days tournament I was in zombie mode, I got no sleep and was drunk.
I was autopilot all day and Zylo barly outplace me.
Anyone who believes he's on my level is just silly.

Mikeyy

Smash Apprentice
I also beat Freddy[Owl]. Freddy has beaten Rag lots of times.
Rag just recently bet him for the first time and then a second time shortly after.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
So what I got out of that comment is that you John for all your bad showings and say that bad losses happen, but my LESS questionable losses are somehow more important. If you're comparing Freddy you beat last weekend to a Freddy any longer than five months ago, that's a terrible comparison, and anyone from louisiana will tell you that. He has significantly fallen off since many moons ago when he probably last beat rag. I'd love to hear your tournament record against rice and rag, since other than that one tournament where you did well, I fail to see a trend. Roboturner and I had a close set, so I feel like saying he bopped me is a huge misrepresentation of the tournament. Furthermore, this is a tournament where I outplaced you AND you had worse losses. In my opinion, you're a player with very high variance in results who ignores his bad losses and boasts his accomplishments, johns about the tournaments you do poorly at, and grossly misrepresents other peoples' and your own performances to make yourself seem like a better player than you are.

RAM

Smash Lord
U kids and ur drugs. Whoboy took me 20 mins to get my password for smash boards but I just wanted to agree about Fang being a beast and should be watched in the future. Other then that before I move I'm calling out Thrash bag I mean Ragnarok, Moogle the silent Killer and his Majesty of the dingleberry state Joot just because I lack presence in this conversation XD

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
IMO Mikeyy should be over spade. Pensacola tournies are more convenient for him. Also, Mikkey plays higher caliber players in Pensacola/Louisiana. The talent pool here is larger than BIO and HASL. Lol at the Panel. Put mikeyy on there as the South AL rep. Ryker is PM 4smash and rag is rarely online but im glad yall got his spot right

Last edited:

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
IMO Mikeyy should be over spade. Pensacola tournies are more convenient for him. Also, Mikkey plays higher caliber players in Pensacola/Louisiana. The talent pool here is larger than BIO and HASL. Lol at the Panel. Put mikeyy on there as the South AL rep. Ryker is PM 4smash and rag is rarely online but im glad yall got his spot right
Imo he should be as well. If we included mikey in the panel, we would get nothing done, as he would proceed to **** talk until we accomplished nothing.

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
Imo he should be as well. If we included mikey in the panel, we would get nothing done, as he would proceed to **** talk until we accomplished nothing.
Idk there's also like a 50% chance of him just getting wasted and instantly forgetting he's on the panel to never return.
edit: love u mikey

Last edited:

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
I would like to announce that I will be discontinuing my coordination and involvement of the Alabama power ranking. My original intentions for the power ranking were for it to foster competition, incentive people to travel, and rally and unify the state. However, few players are traveling to other areas, and I feel that we are even more regionally divided than we were at the inception of the power ranking. Furthermore, it had been a large source of hate directed towards me especially but also towards other members of the committee. If anyone would like to step up to organize future power rankings they are more than able to fill the gap, but I will have no further involvement in the process.

Zone

Smash Champion
I feel like when you rank yourself above people and they disagree. Should put yourself on the spot and take a Bo5 from anyone below who challenges. I know you don't like doing money matches but when someone who's below you in the PR wants to money match and after the tourney cuz they didn't get to fight you. You should prove to them w/o a doubt you deserve their spot. If you're truly sure you're above someone, you should be able to beat them at a higher % rate.

I run te pensacola/HP PR, except I did it like a tier list. A lot less butt hurt when you group people in a skill level group.

Example:
Rice - S tier
A tier - ragnarock zone heyden
b tier - robo turner, mikeyy

So this list tells you rice pretty muh wins all the tournies, zone/rag/oppa fight for 2nd>4th. With the occasional upset from B tier in top 4. Assuming everyone shows up.

I got a lot less butt hurt with this method and you can include lower letters and add as many people as you want

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
I feel like when you rank yourself above people and they disagree. Should put yourself on the spot and take a Bo5 from anyone below who challenges. I know you don't like doing money matches but when someone who's below you in the PR wants to money match and after the tourney cuz they didn't get to fight you. You should prove to them w/o a doubt you deserve their spot. If you're truly sure you're above someone, you should be able to beat them at a higher % rate.

I run te pensacola/HP PR, except I did it like a tier list. A lot less butt hurt when you group people in a skill level group.

Example:
Rice - S tier
A tier - ragnarock zone heyden
b tier - robo turner, mikeyy

So this list tells you rice pretty muh wins all the tournies, zone/rag/oppa fight for 2nd>4th. With the occasional upset from B tier in top 4. Assuming everyone shows up.

I got a lot less butt hurt with this method and you can include lower letters and add as many people as you want
I will not be ranking myself above anyone as I am no longer taking part in the PR at all. I want no part in the PR, and I'm just going to focus on my individual tournament performance. I really don't want to worry about being attacked for not "defending my ranking" when there are things I'd rather focus on.

Last edited:

j00t

Smash Champion
that's an interesting take on it, Zone. I'll think about moving to that structure for the next PR update. Assuming there is one

Zone

Smash Champion
It's a lot easier to manage and I very rarely get people who are upset.

It still has all the benefits of of what a PR should do, encourage moving up. And often times without necessarily needing to move people down.

Last edited:
NNID
MasterIcarus7
I would like to announce that I will be discontinuing my coordination and involvement of the Alabama power ranking. My original intentions for the power ranking were for it to foster competition, incentive people to travel, and rally and unify the state. However, few players are traveling to other areas, and I feel that we are even more regionally divided than we were at the inception of the power ranking. Furthermore, it had been a large source of hate directed towards me especially but also towards other members of the committee. If anyone would like to step up to organize future power rankings they are more than able to fill the gap, but I will have no further involvement in the process.
I am working creating a ranking based solely on tourney results, but it is somewhat limited, due to the current lack of results threads.

ZeNub

Smash Rookie
Yo I heard that guy Noah or Zen is a monster. He definetly going to be top 5 before summer of next year.

I mean...that's just word on the street.

Top Bottom