• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Release > Boost Smash

J4pu

Smash Champion
OK so there's some potential good news and some bad news
as you could probably guess from the title, Falco (most likely) has a air grab release to guaranteed boost smash on some characters
the bad news is Falco isn't tall enough to force the air release on any character except Olimar, and Olimar has a very high looping air release and regains control much too quickly for this to work.

however, there are a few tournament legal stages that have slants that can get you the free boost smash on MK, that's right I said MK, and other characters as well.
Tested stages that work:
Brinstar if MK is to the right of the bump and you are standing on the bump
Yoshi's Island Brawl when the platform in the middle is tipped far to either side
Delfino Plaza: stair part, when the side platforms are slanted during the intermediate. Beahc?? MK air releases but may fall to far
Castle Siege: 3rd part MK to the right of the bump. 2nd stage top side platforms?? air release but slant might be too steep to hit before he regains control
Rainbow Cruise: left side of the ship (MK to the right)

Tested Stages that fail
Brinstar if MK is to the left of the bump
Yoshi's Island Brawl all slopes other than platform
Lylat Cruise? Everywhere? (MK air releases on the slanted edges but might fall too far off-stage to hit)
Castle Siege: 1st area slope

Potential Areas that have not been tested yet
Rainbow Cruise: boat slants, fully slanted swinging carpet, slanted area right after the boat part, bumps in the ground on the top part.
Corneria: slants

How Grab Releases Work
When you are grabbing a character, if their feet are off the ground and nobody is doing anything they will release to the air
If their feet are on the ground and nobody is doing anything they will release to the ground
If their feet are off the ground but you are pummelling them and they release during a pummel they will release to the ground (or downward if there is no ground) no matter what
If their feet are on the ground and they press any jump input when they break out they will release to the air unless they are being pummelled also.

Disclaimers
All testing was done on MK so far (except that it also seems to work on Lucas, and does not work on Olimar)
MK might be able to escape, I tested the air-release to boost smash and the air-release to shuttle loop separately, they are close but it seems to me like boost smash could connect first.
All the stage information is MK based

So there you have it, perhaps it is situational but still something very useful to know.
More testing will be carried out whenever I have time or preferrably a person to help.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Thanks for compiling this neat info. Unfortunately I would usually ban brinstar for CP's and Lylat Cruise for neutrals, but I guess it's handy to know about this air-release to boost smash if you end up having to play on one of those stages.

Other stages that have slants that I can think of right now would be:

Pictochat (although the slants are probably way to small).
Castle Seige (not sure about this one either, but the slant is definitely longer than pictochat's).

Look forward to further testing and future results.

J4pu

Smash Champion
You ban Brinstar against MK? I ban Rainbow Cruise or Frigate against anyone that has a good recovery, whichever i anticipate them choosing.
I'll add castle siege to the testing list

Vlade

Social Outcast
You ban Brinstar against MK?
Not usually, but I certainly hate playing on this stage. Most MK's I verse would probably go for norfair or Rainbow Cruise. Norfair I instantly ban but Rainbow Cruise I'm ok with against MK. Frigate Orpheon is interesting, as I've only played on it against GW as far as I can remember. Got ***** :p

Oh and let me rephrase what I said in my first post in this thread: 'Unfortunately I would usually ban brinstar for CP's and Lylat Cruise for neutrals against most characters'.

Sorry about that, thought you were talking about characters in general and not just MK.

Terodactyl Yelnats

Smash Ace
NNID
Perseids_Tero
I've done this once before on Yoshi's Island, I thought you could do a grab-release DAC on a flat platform since I only did it on a slant. This helps since I was actually planning on using it more.

Gmoney_

Smash Journeyman
About the Grab release to Boost upsmash, this is possible to do on MK on a neutral stage. I did some testing myself a while back and it seems like MK will get Air relesead IF he struggles to get out of the grab (rotating control/cstick etc.). If he just stands still waiting till the end, he willl normally get out of the grab.

I did this last weekend on a small tourney xD

kpeezy

Smash Cadet
About the Grab release to Boost upsmash, this is possible to do on MK on a neutral stage. I did some testing myself a while back and it seems like MK will get Air relesead IF he struggles to get out of the grab (rotating control/cstick etc.). If he just stands still waiting till the end, he willl normally get out of the grab.

I did this last weekend on a small tourney xD
I think it is if he hits jump or up. Not necessarily struggles.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
As long as we're reviving this thread, there's quite a few spots on Rainbow Cruise that this seems to work, including the left side of the ship.

Top Bottom