• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air-grab release on wario- instant dair

pastaboy

Smash Champion
i dont know if this is already discovered or not but..

ok so i was testing this on wario to see if diddy has and special grab releases on wario off the edge.

well i think he does. if wario is chillin at the edge of the stage and u run at him and grab, you will slide a bit causing wario's feet to be dangling off the edge when diddy grabs him, release him into a short hop dair, it should work and he should get spiked, i have tested it on human player and it seems to be inescapable( i think). although it might be able to be DI'd towards the stage( further testing is required). but it will most likely be an instant spike if u get it off and possibly kill him. I also have been testing the diddy hump, so far is seems to work as well.

this can be helpful after you banana lock wario, make sure not to continue to throw bananas at him to knock him off the stage, try to set him up so that he has tripped right before the edge so you can grab him.

the vid is nuthin special,just some trixies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArEi_qvGngw
-if you guy could further test/expirement this that would be awesome, thnx

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Yea ive tested this. I dont really have the timing down though. It seems that if you dont mash A the chances of the aerial release are higher.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I think diddy's too short, but anyway pastaboy change the title to MMAC WE NEED YOU

Tenki

Smash Hero
Any character can force Wario into an air release by the edge.

So what pastaboy is suggesting is absolutely feasible, assuming you can manage to grab Wario by the edge or something.

Though it might be interesting if you can air release -> shorthop side-B > fall near the edge > jump off of him for the 'spike' effect.

pastaboy

Smash Champion
Any character can force Wario into an air release by the edge.

So what pastaboy is suggesting is absolutely feasible, assuming you can manage to grab Wario by the edge or something.

Though it might be interesting if you can air release -> shorthop side-B > fall near the edge > jump off of him for the 'spike' effect.
chrome diddy can reach,wario just goes straight up and down.

yes exactly tenki, but u dont need to short hop, i think it connects with wario because sideb arcs anyway.

TreK

Is "that guy"
From what i read, and tested :
1) if you pummel the guy and he escapes during the pummel animation, he'll go horizontally
2) if the character's feet are not touching the ground when he escapes AND if he's not pummeled when he escapes, he'll go for an air release. This works for small characters on stage (thus many characters' infinites on wario), or on everyone at the edge :p

IDK

Smash Lord
about when they jump release isnt even a question. its whether the spike can really inescapably follow the grab release. does this only work on wario? (the spike part. not the release) just to clarify, the opponent will jump release 100% of the time if their feet are not touching the ground during the grab and no grab attacks were made. if you grab attack a bunch of times and you are a short character, their feet will likely be touching the ground, and therefore do a normal grab break. as diddy is short, he must have the opponent hanging off the edge in a grab as to prevent their feet from touching the ground. this is why the cypher catch on snake only works if you grab him right on the edge, because nobody is tall enough to hold him off the ground.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
So does this work on any other character besides Wario?
If you hold any character over the edge, they will air break if you aren't pummeling them. The real question is who all can be followed up on since most characters fly in the air horizontally pretty far compared to poor Wario.

Player-1

Smash Legend
If you hold any character over the edge, they will air break if you aren't pummeling them. The real question is who all can be followed up on since most characters fly in the air horizontally pretty far compared to poor Wario.
...That's what I meant when I said "So does this work on any other character besides Wario? "

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
...That's what I meant when I said "So does this work on any other character besides Wario? "
Ah, sorry I've had to answer questions like that for too many people lately and sometimes I can't tell the difference from a good question like yours compared to a question that has an obvious answer. My bad :(

Also, I think Diddy Hump might be too slow, I'm almost 100% sure Dair can land Inescapable buy I have my doubts about the hump.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Ah, sorry I've had to answer questions like that for too many people lately and sometimes I can't tell the difference from a good question like yours compared to a question that has an obvious answer. My bad :(

Also, I think Diddy Hump might be too slow, I'm almost 100% sure Dair can land Inescapable buy I have my doubts about the hump.
Diddy Hump.
XD

Mmac

Smash Lord
Zomg! Someone needs my help!? I'm on my way!

I tested and I can confirm that all of Diddy's aerials, including his Dair, do indeed connect before Wario Recovers. However his Side B doesn't work, or is extremely hard to connect. I will test the other characters when I have the time.

this is why the cypher catch on snake only works if you grab him right on the edge, because nobody is tall enough to hold him off the ground.
Actually, due to Yoshi's unique hold, he can actually Pivot Grab him, CG Him across the stage, and release on the other side and he still doesn't have his Cypher back!

ADHD

Smash Hero
This is nice, I'll remember it i hate fighting warios. Tell me what you think of that mindgame i sent you :D

Mmac

Smash Lord
Well, the only thing similar I found is an Air Release to Falling Fair on Sheik.

However I found something more interesting in mind when trying this out, that probably needs it's own thread for. Release Spike on Almost every character anyone?

DUB

Smash Lord
There is a pretty new guide that just came out about throws in the tactical discussion board. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out, I'm sure it will help with this. :mushroom:

ADHD

Smash Hero
Well, the only thing similar I found is an Air Release to Falling Fair on Sheik.

However I found something more interesting in mind when trying this out, that probably needs it's own thread for. Release Spike on Almost every character anyone?
I don't believe you

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Hey Canadians are kool Diddy has their colors on his original hat Red and White...O.o

But the grab release is interesting I need to start using combos from grab release :O

Check out meh sig fellow Diddys and whom ever else is around...

Mmac

Smash Lord
Fine, be like that. I won't help you if you don't want me to. Will only help your game significantly, but I'm sure that the other Diddy's will agree that you don't need it at all.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Fine, be like that. I won't help you if you don't want me to. Will only help your game significantly, but I'm sure that the other Diddy's will agree that you don't need it at all.
Hey Mac. Is this possible with Ness? (If Ness grabbed him near the edge of course) Ness dair is stronger than Diddy's too. Meh, if only Ness had a CG.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
im just afraid that trick wont work because Wario could either use the fart move or try to air dodge it. If your not quick enough that is and it doesnt always work.

Player-1

Smash Legend

I was versing a snake today and i was trying to grab him out of his cypher and he released from the grab(touched the ground though) and i saw the opprotunity for dair spike but i didnt take it

Mmac

Smash Lord
Eh, I'm embarrassed. I got around testing it, and it doesn't nearly work as well as I hoped for it to plan. It was simply just Ground Releasing off the ledge, then following it up with a Dair/UpB Spike. However, the entire thing is mostly countered by just simply DI'ing away when they gain recontrol. It can still work as a good mindgame and pressure though

Top Bottom