• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Dash Online - A competitive platform fighter

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
OMG Nick, you live in AZ now but thanks to the stream I can see your beautiful face <3

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Yay!!!
I should be able to do more animation streaming this coming weekend, too!
-DD

dkuo

Smash Lord
"advanced combos" sounds a little cheesy lol. but thats a tight trailer

personally i think you guys should start the kickstarter a little later since there's not a huge amount of stuff to show yet...to the average audience they just see 2 fighting game characters on the same stage. but hey, im not the one making this game so up to you guys lol

regardless, ill definitely be pitching in :)

Handorin

Smash Hero
This needs to get posted in some of the other social threads and get Scar to do it in MioM (unless he has and I didn't catch it).

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
that falco dair
all he needs now is a laser

I'm curious, what's the control scheme like for this? I imagine you guys'll be smart enough to have thorough customization options, but what are the inputs? Are they similar to smash? How many different inputs are there for attacks/specials?

Assuming this is going to allow for analog control, are you guys going to bother to develop a control scheme for digital sticks?

Handorin

Smash Hero
Right now, the average donation is about $50. With that going rate, we'll need about 7100 total backers. Rough. But we can do it.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
I am so hyped for this. It's possible Smash 4 will match Melee in speed and technical play, but I am skeptical. Project M is awesome, but it's still a mod, and mods can only go so far. This is the only true, stand-alone successor to Melee we've got right now. I hope it works out.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
huh? that didn't answer my question
Based on some quick googling, it looks like basically nothing happens. None of the pledges go through (meaning, no one gets charged any money) and no one can pledge money to the project anymore. The project is still saved in the kick starter database (their servers or whatever) but doesn't come up in google/bing searches anymore. The creators can try to get funding again if they want. I didn't find this on the site, but I'm pretty sure they have to reach their goal during one 30-day period in order to get funding. By that, I mean pledges don't carry over if the project fails. If they try again, we'll have to re-pledge money.

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
I'm not sure why they chose such a small amount of time to reach the funding. My best guess is they probably need the funding fast to continue working on it. That being said, they need a better PR campaign to go with this get the money flowing in. This info should be a news post on, at the very least, Shoryuken, IGN, Joystick, Gamespot, Kotaku, Destroctoid, etc. I'm actually kinda surprised to see none of them have a post on this as I consider this gaming news and something people probably have interest in, especially Shoryuken.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
The kickstarter pages also mentions the success rate of projects vs. time allowed for funding. Very few projects that don't get the funding they need in a little under 30 days succeed.

Cellsai

Smash Rookie
This info should be a news post on, at the very least, Shoryuken, IGN, Joystick, Gamespot, Kotaku, Destroctoid, etc. I'm actually kinda surprised to see none of them have a post on this as I consider this gaming news and something people probably have interest in, especially Shoryuken.
Unfortunately these sites are loath to make articles dedicated to Kickstarter games unless they've got established studios behind them or at least in their recent history. It's understandable to a degree because of the sheer quantity of games that are being crowdfunded these days. Joystiq mitigates this somewhat by having a weekly crowdfunding wrap up.
SRK does annoy me though. I asked about their policy on that after a few tips on other games I submitted went ignored and the answer was basically the same as above; there's too many shoddy games attempting to be funded and they don't want to be accused of picking favorites. Surely there can't be THAT many crowd funded fighters to warrant not even giving them a single post on SRK?

One thing I did see creep through the cracks was an interview format. If ADO's devs approach SRK and see if they'd be interested in an interview they might be more inclined to post something.

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
Unfortunately these sites are loath to make articles dedicated to Kickstarter games unless they've got established studios behind them or at least in their recent history. It's understandable to a degree because of the sheer quantity of games that are being crowdfunded these days. Joystiq mitigates this somewhat by having a weekly crowdfunding wrap up.
SRK does annoy me though. I asked about their policy on that after a few tips on other games I submitted went ignored and the answer was basically the same as above; there's too many shoddy games attempting to be funded and they don't want to be accused of picking favorites. Surely there can't be THAT many crowd funded fighters to warrant not even giving them a single post on SRK?

One thing I did see creep through the cracks was an interview format. If ADO's devs approach SRK and see if they'd be interested in an interview they might be more inclined to post something.
Not to use him as a crutch, but having Mike Z on their team should have given them a bit more credibility on top of other talented team members involved. SRK with they way they have been eating up Smash related news should have jumped on this already. Favoritism aside how many other games on Kickstarter are A. Fighting Game related (just searched I actually can't find many due to their atrocious search engine), B. Similar to a popular game that has a new version of it self coming out and was recently played at the world biggest fighting tournament. C. Experienced developers on their team?

It's a shame really and begs the question on whether or not Skullgirls would have seen the light of day had a publisher not initially picked them up? There Indiegogo fund for the new characters went well, but then again there was already a game to play and a great PR campaign to go with it.

xAxLegitxLegendx

Smash Rookie
Not to use him as a crutch, but having Mike Z on their team should have given them a bit more credibility on top of other talented team members involved. SRK with they way they have been eating up Smash related news should have jumped on this already. Favoritism aside how many other games on Kickstarter are A. Fighting Game related (just searched I actually can't find many due to their atrocious search engine), B. Similar to a popular game that has a new version of it self coming out and was recently played at the world biggest fighting tournament. C. Experienced developers on their team?

It's a shame really and begs the question on whether or not Skullgirls would have seen the light of day had a publisher not initially picked them up? There Indiegogo fund for the new characters went well, but then again there was already a game to play and a great PR campaign to go with it.

I remember Divekick doing really well with Keits behind it. I think maybe it would help if the developers went to him and asked for advice, even though he ended up getting picked up by a bigger studio. He may come off rough around the edges, but I think getting support from other former indie developers who are experienced now will help get the word out there. Like, maybe if they get Keits to help, then SRK will show up, then maybe sites like Polygon or IGN will look at SRK, see how many people might get behind it, et cetera. I think maybe it needs a bit more work first, and I'm not sure how long that will take since I'm not a developer to get it to a stage where it will look good for a larger audience to get behind it. A lot of the older projects I've seen have had a lot of time put into them before resorting to kickstarter, at least those that have done well.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
That being said, they need a better PR campaign to go with this get the money flowing in. This info should be a news post on, at the very least, Shoryuken, IGN, Joystick, Gamespot, Kotaku, Destroctoid, etc. I'm actually kinda surprised to see none of them have a post on this as I consider this gaming news and something people probably have interest in, especially Shoryuken.
I think this is where the biggest mistakes were made. Running a Kickstarter "campaign" takes coordinated publicity. There really wasn't any of that at launch, at least not that was visible to the public.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Playing the browser demo right now and this is definitely the first Smash ripoff inspired game that actually FEELS like Smash, which is something I've always wanted. You guys are definitely on to something. Your campaign just needs a splash of humor/vibrancy/hype. You've got the gameplay down, but that's not the only reason people love Smash, remember that during your campaign.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
email gaming news outlets. lots of interest could mean they actually publish something

or they write cease and desist letters

but what do i know, all they tell us in art school is to be super aggressive and fight for the publicity or job.

....which isnt always the best idea > o>

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
So a project update says there's something new coming...

Honestly, I think they need to scrape the Kickstarter at this point and try again in a few months when they can get the whole publicity thing sorted out. The project goal is too high to have a reasonable chance at success and $25 is too much for a casual buy tier. Those aspects of the campaign can't be fixed unless they relaunch. IMO, it'd be best just to save whatever it is they're hoping to announce until then.

Veg_smashed

Smash Apprentice
Honestly If they want funding they need more to show. The game does not look smooth what so ever. Asking for 355k is almost a joke at this rate, MikeZ is not enough to help this pull through. If they worked on it for a few years in their spare time and refined it and made it actually look smooth all the movement then I could imagine myself even putting some money down on this game.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Honestly If they want funding they need more to show. The game does not look smooth what so ever. Asking for 355k is almost a joke at this rate, MikeZ is not enough to help this pull through. If they worked on it for a few years in their spare time and refined it and made it actually look smooth all the movement then I could imagine myself even putting some money down on this game.
More to show? They released a prototype you can play right now. It's no Project M at this point, but compared to most fangames and retail Smash 'clones' its gets a lot of stuff right that others haven't. I don't think the point of Kickstarter is to fund a game that is fine tuned and nearly complete, so I'm cool with backing it in its current state. It's fun, promising, and ... incomplete.

The bigger concern I have is with how publicity is being handled. No one's talking about how the demo plays outside of the Greenlight page. That's indicative of the larger problem here.

Veg_smashed

Smash Apprentice
How can you even compare this to Project M? Project M is still a mod a very well done mod but at its base it is still a mod built on a brawl engine. Also you must not support many kickstarters as I have put a lot of money on Kickstarter and from most of those games you get a lot of well tuned Ideas and even gameplay videos. Some more than others but the ones that have succeeded have already put months of work into the game and have shown a lot of promise which this does not at its current stage.

Yamer

Smash Journeyman
How can you even compare this to Project M? Project M is still a mod a very well done mod but at its base it is still a mod built on a brawl engine. Also you must not support many kickstarters as I have put a lot of money on Kickstarter and from most of those games you get a lot of well tuned Ideas and even gameplay videos. Some more than others but the ones that have succeeded have already put months of work into the game and have shown a lot of promise which this does not at its current stage.
Project M uses mostly premade assets, they -basically- just change number values within Brawl with a few added code snippets. Additionally, they have been working on it for years. As for other kickstarters, some have gameplay but many are just concept artwork... :p

spacer`1

Smash Rookie
I really have to say, as a big fan of 2d fighters as well as Smash, I've been waiting for something like this for some time. This really looks like what I was hoping Playstation All-stars was going to be: a fast paced 3D space-based fighter with elements of SF and SSB. I can't wait for things to get going.

Top Bottom