• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Dash Online - A competitive platform fighter

.selebu

Smash Journeyman
On the keyboard it would be not a big problem to have a C-stick like feature on the arrow keys. Of course this depends highly on the keyboard how easy it would is to reach the arrow keys with let's say your little finger~
I wouldn't want to play it with a keyboard either.

But this would not work with an arcade stick either...

Controller is the way to go lol.

Whatever they do, I hope they decide on optimizing the control for controllers (even though it would mean that other options might have small disadvantages). Similar how Brawl can be played with just a Wiimote, even though it sucks.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Since no one's mentioned it yet, I'll point out that the main site has been updated with mini-bios for every character except Togun. Also, the Demon has a name. It's Vaius. If you're interested in the inspirations for how each character plays, it's worth checking out. You probably won't be surprised by any of them, though.

.selebu

Smash Journeyman
The character pages should definitely include both; background story and character inspiration / playstyle.
I also enjoy the concept art very much, sometimes I prefer older designs to the most recent ones though ^^

Anyways, I am definitely more interested in play style and general game mechanics than anything else.

.selebu

Smash Journeyman
It was said that the kickstarter will come this month, and they probably will give us much more information alongside with it.

D

Deleted member

YOU MADE THAT MOVESET?!

Mad respect, bro. Mad respect.
Thanks dude.

Yeah, that was me. I actually updated the moves recently and plan on polishing it some more, so you're welcome to check it out again in the Lyn thread to check out the changes. I made her more combo focused, so she plays like she could belong in Blazblue or something.

Link should be in my sig.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
If Tesla doesn't have a knee I'm going to flip ****.

You guys should move/make another thread in the Smash Workshop for visibility.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Honestly, I was hoping he'd appear more manly if he's modeled after falcon. Hopefully his move set delivers.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I was hoping he'd appear more manly if he's modeled after falcon. Hopefully his move set delivers.
Likewise, he's a little skinny to be C. Falcon.

Also, it's kinda funny since Falcon's based off of Kamen Rider, wouldn't it make more sense to base Tesla off Kamer Rider as well? I mean, you got plenty of Riders to work with and use as inspiration.

Also, will Vaius be a Grappler like Zangeif?

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
Streaming again tonight around 7 PST. Continuing with Tesla, this time doing mostly sculpting.:

Again, thanks to Clash Tournaments for hosting:

(Click Here)

Same deal as last time, feel free to come in and chat about stuff.

V-K

Smash Ace
Is the game actually gonna have an "air-dash" mechanic? I don't know how that is gonna turn out in a Smash like game.

.selebu

Smash Journeyman
Read in an interview that it will have an air-dash mechanic. No details though. Think it will be an expansion to the air-dodge. Recovery option. General momentum change. (also possibly wave dashing)
It might just speed up the air game.

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
Streaming more character modeling at 7:30 PST. Very close to wrapping up Tesla's high resolution sculpt, so tonight I'll be starting the game level mesh.

Again, thanks to Clash Tournaments for hosting:

(Click Here to Watch at 7:30 PST)

As always feel free to come in and chat. Typically a few of the other devs make appearances in there as well.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Enjoyed the stream a lot last night. Looking forward to the texturing next time!

(it's still up here if anyone wants to watch)

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
Just wanted to let everyone know there will not be a stream tonight. Pushing it back to sometime during week.

As I mentioned in last weeks stream, this time I'll be texturing. Also you'll see a closer look at some of the graphics tech we have built for the game.

DaTalkingFrog

Smash Rookie
Have you guys thought about making a dev blog? It would be interesting to see how you guys make the game from both technical and design aspects.

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
Have you guys thought about making a dev blog? It would be interesting to see how you guys make the game from both technical and design aspects.
We certainly will be doing more technical demonstrations in the future, and documenting our progress as we go. Perhaps on our IndieDB page, the website, or maybe both.

Actually I'm going to be doing some technical talk tonight at 7:30 PST!

(Tesla's in engine low poly model! )

Thanks again to Clash Tournaments:

(Click Here to Watch at 7:30 PST)

I'll be explaining all the benefits to our custom shader tech tonight, along with some texturing. :bubblebobble:

Puca Readabook

Smash Apprentice
i'd love to see some type of l-cancel or lag reducing mechanic implemented

...but quite frankly i wouldn't care if it played exactly like melee, but with exceptional online play

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
There will likely be some universal methods/techniques to reduce lag, though the applications, strategy, and implementation will differ from L-canceling. This is an area we are purposely giving ourselves lots of room to experiment with to see what works in practice.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Has there been any work done on an actual game engine or is it all in graphics design and concepting so far?

Puca Readabook

Smash Apprentice
I know the game has a competitive overtone, but are items even a consideration for some sort of party play?

What about AI and 1p modes?
I know CPUs are damn near impossible to perfect, and im curious what silly mistakes players would exploit, and if there would be continuous updates to improve their intelligence

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
CPU opponents, party modes, items, and all other extras fall under to umbrella of additions that are secondary to our goals. That's not to say in the distant future we won't revisit some of them, but given our limited resources relative to AAA tittles like Melee or Brawl it's far better for us to focus on making the core game all it can be.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I'm back! Streaming at around 6:30 PST tonight! I got a lot of texturing done, but I still have his weapon left to do.
That looks awesome! I'm really looking forward to seeing the other characters in 3d as well as gameplay and stages.

Once again, thanks Clash Tournaments for hosting:

(Click Here to Watch)

Will be more casual than last time. Feel free to come in and talk E3 and such.
That looks awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing the other characters in 3d, as well as the stages and seeing some gameplay in the future.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Melee it on me is on tonight at that time though. You should totally call in to explain the game and maybe get people to come watch once its done. Just send scar a message on fb, great way to get exposure.

Edit: and was cole McGrath a bit of an inspiration for tesla? Aside from the electric powers and hair, he's got that beige and blue plaette for his shirt lol.

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
That looks awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing the other characters in 3d, as well as the stages and seeing some gameplay in the future.
Thanks! Some work has been done on stages, though it honestly is a bit behind the progress made with the characters. When we do eventually stream gameplay, it'll likely be using a simpler training stage I built a while back.

Melee it on me is on tonight at that time though. You should totally call in to explain the game and maybe get people to come watch once its done. Just send scar a message on fb, great way to get exposure.

Edit: and was cole McGrath a bit of an inspiration for tesla? Aside from the electric powers and hair, he's got that beige and blue plaette for his shirt lol.
Well the stream was last night. Typically I do it on the weekends but decided to do an impromptu session with the character nearing competition. Members of the MIOM crew certainly know about us. We would love the opportunity to chat about it with them sometime in the future, though I imagine they are incredibly busy right now prepping for EVO and Scarr for his UltraChenTV appearance. Something more likely in near future though is podcast with the BaraBariBall developers.

Back to Tesla, as far as I'm aware Cole McGrath was not an inspiration, though I do see the similarities.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yes, we do have a build going.
Cool stuff! Do you have a date for when we might be able to see a rough gameplay video or even a showing of the concept/mechanics, or still too early to call for now?

zelazon

Smash Apprentice
I'm definitely interested with seeing how this project will turn out in the long run (hopefully successful), but I have a few question to ask:

1. In terms of mechanics, are we going to see cancelling, wave-dashing, teching, and many of the other mechanics that made melee into the competitive game that it is today?
1a. Are there going to be added mechanics that will increase the skill cap of the game (One of the ideas that I think would be awesome is if someone jumps out of a wave dash, they would have a similar motion to that of mega man X games and be able to wave land out of the jump)?
2. With projectile-inspired character to be announced (like link/samus-based characters), how is the team planning on designing them so they are viable within a competitive scene without being too campy?
3. Are there going to be any character like peach, who is designed around her floats? If so, are you going to take the auto-cancels out of the floats so that the character promotes a higher learning curve?

A lot of question, but if I'm this interested, I can definitely find others who will be along the same levels.

V-K

Smash Ace
I just hope they don't add too much new AT stuff. Melee already has a high enough skill ceiling that the entire scene is dominated by a few people, I don't necessarily think we need more canceling.
But I still am curious to see what they do.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I have been thinking of F2P competitive fighters recently because of more FGC games having F2P models lately. I know you guys had been considering it and this is really just a general opinion I have but I think in terms of competitive games you should have everything needed to play a tournament match available to you and everything else should cost money.

Basically Killer Instinct is making a huge mistake IMO by having one character free and forcing you to pay for all the others ones. Just local multiplayer along with all characters and stages (but only 2 skins for dittos) should be free. This is a huge plus for tournament organizers who essentially push the scene forward. If they don't have to go out and buy the game in bulk it'll be one less thing on their shoulders and the reason melee isn't at a lot of other FGC tournaments is because for how hard it is to hunt down and pay for a lot of systems and set ups just specifically for it. After that, online modes a shop to buy skins or taunts and story/arcade/training modes could all be under a full price version. Huge incentive to pay for it because of all you'll get if you enjoy the game and a huge incentive to give the game a chance because it's 0$ to try it out.

Whatever model you go with I'd pay for lol, this is just something I had been thinking about regarding all competitive fighting games. I feel like it's not really free to play if you have to buy all the characters...imagine not buying doc because he's a clone of Mario and not seen much in tournament, then you run into one in bracket and have no clue what he's capable of. My 0.02$ that's not fully directed at this game.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Imo you should have an affordable yet significant starting price for the game. I doubt skins are important enough to people to support the game (though it really depends on how large the player base is and how cool the skins are).

D

Deleted member

Is it just me, or does Tesla look kinda like Chester Bennington (the dude from Linkin Park)?

I just hope they don't add too much new AT stuff. Melee already has a high enough skill ceiling that the entire scene is dominated by a few people, I don't necessarily think we need more canceling.
But I still am curious to see what they do.

I think a lot of thought should be put into the mechanics, and I especially hope they don't use Melee as a reference point, some of the mechanics in that game (like L-Canceling), are a bit redundant imo. I'd point to Guilty Gear as an inspiration for what mechanics should be implemented personally (ASW knows their ****), but that's just me.

Top Bottom