• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aiko presents : The UK Smash Grand Prix

Kone

Smash Master
This is really good one first reading ant, just think you need to iron out a few kinks. Im not a great advocate of splitting up the brawl and melee tournaments. But, as you have pointed out the venue doesn't have the capacity/timeframe and supported housing to do both at the same time. Though I think our community recently opted to have tournaments that featured both and not split them :/. Other issue would be maybe too many tournaments in a short time period?

From reading peoples responses it looks like everyone is in favour of it but also craving something a little bit bigger.....

To ant - Got a preposition for u! as part of your grand prix series (maybe the last one in the summer or what not) do you want to co-run a large european tourney (doesnt have to be anything to do with the grand prix series). We can both work together in finding a venue in brum that could support a full blown 2/3 day event. Ive always wanted to do this and theres not currently a big euro tourney in the pipeline/UK has never hosted one. Brum is a realy good location and im down there enough that i can put time into locating venues with u/have access to tvs and what not.

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
EVERYONE WHO READS THIS TAKE NOTE: I am not shooting this thing down. I want it to function, I want it to work, I want it to take off and be something amazing. However I think it needs a lot more thought, planning and precise descision making. I am about to make an eye-wateringly long myriad of reasons why this will fail. But this isn't because I want it to fail, this is because I want to draw attention to various aspects of the idea and see them improved. Most of it is analytical and explanitory, if you want a summary then read from the bottom up.

This looks like a brilliant idea. I love the notion of more tournaments and more growth in the competitive community. However if this idea is to lift off it is going to need a LOT of support. This is going to be a multi-man effort so get a good and reliable group of people to prepare and run the event.

Whilst the idea is amazing when written down and thought about, I think it has deeper problems and could easily suffer under it's own weight. On reading the thread numerous things grabbed my attention:

This will be a series of 4 smash tournaments, starting after Edster 2 (April) and will run throughout Summer and finishing around September/October. The aim is to bring both melee and brawl together but also to promote Smash in the UK. All 4 tournaments are likely to be held at the Global Gaming Arena in Birmingham.
This is going to increase the divide between the communities. If it's starting after Edster 2 and ending around October then you're fitting 4 tournaments in 6 months. One every month and a half. Most people won't be able to make all of them due to personal contraints, work, finance, travel issues or a host of other reasons. This needs more time to be spread over.

Prizes will vary from Vouchers to Games Consoles.
A brilliant incentive but several problems in one. How do you decide where the vouchers come from? Which Prize will get which award? How do you make it fair that some people get consoles and some people get vouchers? How do you afford all of this?

Cash prizes would be a heavy incentive to current players, regular prizes an incentive to new ones. But this is where the problems lie in rewards. Cash prizes attract professional players. MLG and EVO offer cash up front, no vouchers, no consoles, no controllers, nought. They want the best and only the best. Rewards such as controllers, vouchers and consoles attract anyone and are the kind of thing you'd see at a local Gamestation or GAME tournament.

This is turn presents another problem: Can you and can the scene support a growth of such proportions? Will sponsors really back an event with an interest margin that is currently so small? They'll see more of a return on a Halo, CSS, DOA or Tekken tournament. If it all works out are we as a community prepared for such a massive influx of players simultaneously?

Consoles and Vouchers will probably attract more players from a more local community. A Console is a Console is a Console will always be a Console. Cash could be....a train ticket to the next event.......new games.....shoes....clothes......or a console. Much more flexible.

This was always a big concern of mine. My main arguement for non-cash prizes is that 90% of players come to all events without ever seriously thinking they will see any money back.
90% of players that turn up to smash events will not see any money back no matter what you do. No matter how many people turned up to a previous event, 3 people saw a prize from singles. About 8 thought they'd see some money. The rest have to accept that they aren't getting a prize.

The reimbursement argument is a big one, but if you're making this to please the smash community on here, then you have to please the smash community on here. Attending this tournament is going to be expensive, random example say I was going to turn up (LOL!)

Can't get a coach from Lancaster to Birmingham. Have to get to Preston and get a coach from there: £12 (£6 each way)
Coach Fare to Birmingham and back: £2 (Assuming booked WELL in advance and taking advantage of NationalExpress' funfares, could change at any time)
Entry to the tournament: £20 (£10 for each)
Hotel Room: £30-£35 per night.
Grand Total = £64 (Assuming all conditions are ideal, not including food, drink or accidents)

May not be much to you guys but is a lot to some people.

The point is, yes this may deter the top players as they are "used" to getting some money back.
There will be a prize for the winner in each tournament. but it wont necessarily be the best prize.
The whole point of a tournament is to see who is the best player. If you're making a descision that you feel will deter the top players, you need to be CONCRETE in your ascertainty that that choice is the right choice to make and will make your tournament a better tournament for it being made.

What is the point of being a top player if you're not getting the top prize? This diverts attention from the tournament itself.

My other reasoning for considering non-cash prizes this time is that I'm looking to get sponsers next time I do something like this.
If it goes well, Sponsers will look at it more professionally as there are prizes, not cash.
As AmcD said: XL is one of the largest gaming companies in England and offers cash.

MLG is the one of the biggest gaming leagues in the world and has always offered cash. EVO offers cash. Renaissance of Smash 4 was one of the biggest tournaments in europe (at the time), sponsored by several companies and offered cash.

space and time are a great issue. And we just dont have either.

Don't have the capacity to hold 40+ players and no time to run both brawl and melee singles, let alone teams.
If you have neither of these, your tournament is handicapped from the word go. I understand the second part was referring to both being at the same event but if you have no time to run Melee and Brawl singles you'll barely have enough time to run both singles and doubles of either.

Do you honestly believe a sponsor will cough up money to reach a maximum of 40 people?

Oh and the last thing about the prizes. Again, good idea but it needs rethinking. Prizes are achievements, like medals they are awarded to exemplars of skill, competition and performance. Having too many dilutes the significance of them all.

Plus how are you ever going to award a prize like ' Most Improved '? It's all based on a viewpoint, a perspective and everyone has a different one. All of which are biased. Even if you come up with a neutral, statistical method of discerning improvement, skill, and progress on a player by player basis, people will reject it because it is based on statistics.

-----------------------------SUMMARY!!!----------------------------------

Brilliant idea, I really hope it works. It should work but you really need to take this apart and re-think each and every aspect of it.

Your prizes, your setup, your location, your structure, your timeframe (Both on a tournament basis and on the grand prix basis), your target attendee, everything.

No sponsor would ever back up a series of tournaments where the maximum player cap is 40 and the current competitive community in this country for it numbers less than 100.

Honestly, I think this will achieve success if you do it right (Depending on what your goals are and what your definition of success would be) but you have to do it right and you have to be unyeilding in your pursuit.

My advice: Know your target, know your goal. Work around your intended end result.

If you want to host some tournaments for the current community, fantastic, go for it. You are more than capable and you have proven it time and time again. Gear everything to suit the current community: Villiage Hall/Church. 10 Setups. £5 per person per event. Cash Prize. Simple and Easy (Relatively).

If you want to go big (Sponsor style big), gear everything towards expanding your audience: Bigger Venue. more time at the tournament. Tournaments more spaced out. Varied locations. *Advertise*

No sponsor has sponsored smash in this country because there's no return from their investment. No advertising to be done on a large scale. No major profit stream. I think you've misfocused.

This is a monumental idea and it will become a monumental event. But it first of all needs a monumental community to support it.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
i hope i can attend this and if i do hope to do well and get an award :laugh:
Mehh, I'm willing to take your "apparent" number 1 Falco in the UK off you, £3MM Falco ditto next time I see you:)?

Just read though BBs post, some really good points, I think that this can do well, but as he said the numbers we have in the competitive community could hold it back.

Koop_88

Smash Journeyman
F*ck me Ant if I didn't have a girlfriend who is smart, gorgeous, has a scottmans banter and is generally absolutely stunning I would probably have sex with you, nay, I would definately have sex with you. This almost unfortunate circumstance means however than I can only tell you how much I love you, and that I shall most certainly be participating, and that given my poor smash ability (although im pretty leet at the old brawl, D3 **** *****es) it shall most certainly be to make the rest of you jealous of my dashing looks, and most certainly be for the banter.

Tamoo

Smash Master
I say Kira is too good lol
shud b interesting to see u three fight it out for the honour.
Anyone wanna fight out for best olimar? (although olimar dittos suck)

ontopic;
the obstacles presented by BB were very interesting to read.
Its nice having all these prizes for those who dont usually attend or rank highly, but imo, the main incentive should be winning. It is nice however that newcomers like myself can come to tournaments like this and gain possible prizes but the main prize should go to the winner. I like the idea of non monetary prizes tho, gives the tournament a more personal feel

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
i accept, and ima glad you noticed the word "APPARENT" !!!!
whoever wins, £1/2 mm with them for it.

even though falco's only my secondary it doesn't really make a difference >__>

DevMBC

Smash Ace
gg aiko!! well done uk indeed look at the line up you all have for 09 now!! less being rubbish more training all those who are rubbish to stop being rubbish, gg

i don't think any of the arguements hold up. what exactly is bringing brawl and melee together? making melee players play brawl and making brawl players play melee? or jus.. putting everybody.. in the same room in a harder to run tourny.... lol... that smells a lot worse and generally sounds like bad times...

man be quiet peeps this ish looks set to go down as good as it will. and if it's not 100% then maybe the next time it will be, jus keep playing and pipe down lol

Kasper!

Smash Lord
I say Kira is too good lol
shud b interesting to see u three fight it out for the honour.
Anyone wanna fight out for best olimar?
i wouldnt mind fighting you for the best olimar LOL!!

and to all those others falco users e.g. tails chao, yeniths, willz to be very clear u guys can fight for the top falco, ima not really bothered but that doesnt mean that i wont three or two stock all of you!!!

Inertia123

Smash Journeyman
Epic essay from BloodBowler. With the sponsorship you just need to target the right people. Smaller tourneys mean smaller companies. All of the points are good though.

I'll definitely try to attend the melee ones. And the brawl ones if I get into it.

Aiko

Smash Champion
Thanks for the feedback guys, especially BB.

This is pretty much in the very early stages and I wanted to get it out in the open to get feedback and what people want the most. I'll be working on the improved structure of the SGP tomorrow. After that, some more feedback would be great.

I think it will take a few reworkings before we get it ideal but I want to hit the nail on the head otherwise theres no point doing this.

Jolteon

i wouldnt mind fighting you for the best olimar LOL!!

and to all those others falco users e.g. tails chao, yeniths, willz to be very clear u guys can fight for the top falco, ima not really bothered but that doesnt mean that i wont three or two stock all of you!!!
foolish words to be saying to a g&w main. ;)

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
this just seems unfair to people who always place high :/ cause a standard tourney will have cash prizes as the main feature which makes it mad competitive in brackets. I don't see how giving out random prizes will interest sponsors more

Jolteon

its whatever the person wants it to be!!!!
I want smash to be a fairy tale land where little butterflies kiss each other and are in general very happy, there needs to be bright pretty rainbows and it needs to be complete with pink unicorns.

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
Sub Prizes are a bad idea to be honest. I think the titles are enough. More prizes being handed out makes each prize worth less.

The better the prize you give out for something will increase the contribution of that same thing. If you gave out vouchers and controllers and stickers for most of the prizes and gave a Wii to whoever had the most banter, this website would drown under the amount of 'Banter' threads that go up. Think about what you want to promote and reward people who promote it for you.

EDIT: Thanks everyone for taking the time to read all the previous post, can't have been easy.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
if this doesnt involve free go karting this is fail

Aiko

Smash Champion
Sub Prizes are a bad idea to be honest. I think the titles are enough. More prizes being handed out makes each prize worth less.

The better the prize you give out for something will increase the contribution of that same thing. If you gave out vouchers and controllers and stickers for most of the prizes and gave a Wii to whoever had the most banter, this website would drown under the amount of 'Banter' threads that go up. Think about what you want to promote and reward people who promote it for you.

EDIT: Thanks everyone for taking the time to read all the previous post, can't have been easy.
very good point BB. Definitely taken into account.

I have now thought of several ways to do this but here are my biggest changes.

Cash prizes
More focussed on tournament winners.
Minor Prizes
melee/brawl passes
extended time frame

These are the passes and prices I am proposing. I will explain how the money will be spent.

£12 each tournament if you have not paid in advance.
£20 for melee only or brawl only = 2 tournaments. Saves £4
£38 for all tournaments = 4 tournaments. Saves £10.

Do not worry about paying in advance as you will be given plenty of notice and I will accept money in several ways.

If I were to get 30 pre registrations, of £38 here is how i would spend the money:

30 x £38 = £1140

Therefore I would put aside £140 for extra prizes, leaving £1000 over 4 tournaments, (2 melee, 2 brawl)

This gives a guaranteed pot of £250 for each tournament.

Any players that turn up on the day will pay £12 for the tournament, and £10 of this will be contributed to the pot for that specific tournament and £2 for extra prizes.

If I decide to do "melee/brawl tournament passes" then that money will be put specifically towards those tournaments.

So with £250 each tournaments, I'd probably split it to £125 each event split like this:

1st - £70
2nd - £40
3rd - £15

As for Prizes, with £140 to play with, I was looking at mainly controllers and possibly ntsc copies of ssbm. I am also speaking with Play-asia regarding a mini sponsership in the way of discounts towards the prizes. As BB has suggested, these prizes need to be targeted, for what I want to promote, which is effort, improvement and dedication.

So I am looking for things like:

Starting/growing your local scene
Making the effort to go to Ranbats and learning new games (if you dont already play melee/brawl)
Teaching newcomers
Attending to tournaments and ranbats, if you are a newcomer
General improvement
General community participation
Good commentary for matches - this one is pretty good as we as a smash community are looking to grow with commentary.

Prizes will be given at each tournament and at the end of the SGP.

Finally I will probably space each tournament 7-8 weeks apart to give more time as people were thinking 6 weeks is too short.

So any thoughts?

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
very good point BB. Definitely taken into account.

I have now thought of several ways to do this but here are my biggest changes.

Cash prizes
More focussed on tournament winners.
Minor Prizes
melee/brawl passes
extended time frame

These are the passes and prices I am proposing. I will explain how the money will be spent.

£12 each tournament if you have not paid in advance.
£20 for melee only or brawl only = 2 tournaments. Saves £4
£38 for all tournaments = 4 tournaments. Saves £10.

Do not worry about paying in advance as you will be given plenty of notice and I will accept money in several ways.

If I were to get 30 pre registrations, of £38 here is how i would spend the money:

30 x £38 = £1140

Therefore I would put aside £140 for extra prizes, leaving £1000 over 4 tournaments, (2 melee, 2 brawl)

This gives a guaranteed pot of £250 for each tournament.

Any players that turn up on the day will pay £12 for the tournament, and £10 of this will be contributed to the pot for that specific tournament and £2 for extra prizes.

If I decide to do "melee/brawl tournament passes" then that money will be put specifically towards those tournaments.

So with £250 each tournaments, I'd probably split it to £125 each event split like this:

1st - £70
2nd - £40
3rd - £15

As for Prizes, with £140 to play with, I was looking at mainly controllers and possibly ntsc copies of ssbm. I am also speaking with Play-asia regarding a mini sponsership in the way of discounts towards the prizes. As BB has suggested, these prizes need to be targeted, for what I want to promote, which is effort, improvement and dedication.

So I am looking for things like:

Starting/growing your local scene
Making the effort to go to Ranbats and learning new games (if you dont already play melee/brawl)
Teaching newcomers
Attending to tournaments and ranbats, if you are a newcomer
General improvement
General community participation
Good commentary for matches - this one is pretty good as we as a smash community are looking to grow with commentary.

Prizes will be given at each tournament and at the end of the SGP.

Finally I will probably space each tournament 7-8 weeks apart to give more time as people were thinking 6 weeks is too short.

So any thoughts?
Hmmmm. My thinking is that your idea of giving the non winners of the tournament something to look forward to is a good one but I agree with BB in that it shouldn't be money. I think just the title alone would be a good idea especially the 'most improved' award; stuff like that will be good cos it'll be something positive for the players when it can be too much of flaming people all the time atm.

One idea I've thought of as well is perhaps changing the number of prize winning positions? so maybe 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th?

grayfox

Smash Champion
I don't think there is enough money in uk smash right now to constitute paying more places; 3rd place as it is barely gets the buy in back. I do agree though on no paid places for the awards outside of placings, for one as I said the money is tight as it is with our small scene, we don't want to spread what we have too thinly. It also kind of undermines all the effort and skill put into the games of 1st through 3rd if people who haven't done that are getting prizes as well, not to mention some of their prize pool. I think that in itself is the main problem with the idea as it doesn't promote improving but rather participating. The olympics would be ****e if there were 300 people doing the race all hoping to get the best shoes award.

With everything else I agree with though, I'm just touching on the things I don't agree with as discussing what works isn't nearly as productive, don't take my posts as trying to shoot down the idea as I like it rofl and more importantly find it impressive that you are going through the effort in the first place Ant.

Aiko

Smash Champion
dont understand where people have got the idea of unplaced cash prizes :S i've never mentioned that.

the reason for prizes is to promote people to get more involved and put in more effort. Whilst i have said that there may be a prize for most improved, it doesnt rate that high on my list. Whats more important is effort in expanding their local scene or starting their own.

Aiko

Smash Champion
Alan has given a really good idea:

Have 3 tournaments, 1 melee, 1 brawl and have the final to be a 2 day event with both melee and brawl.

thoughts?

SwizzyUK

Smash Journeyman
I prefer keeping the tournaments separate as I don't really care about brawl so dont wanna waste time watching it.

I love the overall idea Ant, but I think by more focus on winning, you need to have over half the money go to the top 3. When I read your breakdown of £250 per tournament, I was thinking more like:
1st - £85
2nd - £50
3rd - £25

=£160, leaving £90 for other prizes (3 controllers?)

In terms of other prizes, I like the idea of controllers, but get some custom stickers (cheap) with stuff like "Most Improved" written on it, so its more like a trophy than a prize, something that people can parade around at tournaments. Also, have a panel to judge those awards as they are very objective, then people cant complain. Not a big fan of NTSC smash, I know it would be a novelty but I think (for me at least) it would get old fast.

Aiko

Smash Champion
I prefer keeping the tournaments separate as I don't really care about brawl so dont wanna waste time watching it.

I love the overall idea Ant, but I think by more focus on winning, you need to have over half the money go to the top 3. When I read your breakdown of £250 per tournament, I was thinking more like:
1st - £85
2nd - £50
3rd - £25

=£160, leaving £90 for other prizes (3 controllers?)

In terms of other prizes, I like the idea of controllers, but get some custom stickers (cheap) with stuff like "Most Improved" written on it, so its more like a trophy than a prize, something that people can parade around at tournaments. Also, have a panel to judge those awards as they are very objective, then people cant complain. Not a big fan of NTSC smash, I know it would be a novelty but I think (for me at least) it would get old fast.
good call on the panel.

BTW i think you've got my prize structuring wrong. If i get £1140 of advanced bookings, then only £140 of that total goes towards prizes. The remaining £1000 is split between the 4 tournaments.

The £250 for each tournament is split for singles and doubles.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I have helped to teach, Last Dragon, 4stock, Kritz a bit and Wolfie and now Spkz so I am currently teaching the new people so as usual I boost myself and say when I need an award.

kosmoco

Smash Apprentice
I try to come to these just need all the maps and s**t. Plus if i do come i get beaten left right and center, still be fun.

Inertia123

Smash Journeyman
If you want to get the £10 discount you have to pay in advance I guess? Cos I really want to go to these but there could be cirumstances at the time that prevent that. Or could I be cheeky and pay in advance and then get money back if I don't go to one :)

J03

Smash Master
I have helped to teach, Last Dragon, 4stock, Kritz a bit and Wolfie and now Spkz so I am currently teaching the new people so as usual I boost myself and say when I need an award.
great, more ****ty foxes

Ant: just had some intervention, there your babies these tournies, so do as you like

brawler_pit

Smash Apprentice
Hmmmm. I'm lookin forward to the spring season, since alot of tournaments happening with the ranbats and this new "leuge", il be there to grab those awards with my Peach :D

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
I know this is INCREDIBLY old and I apologise for the bump but what exactly happened to this?

Top Bottom