• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Against Zelda

exidid

Smash Journeyman
I played against Buzz online, and when he took out his Zelda, he totally ripped me off.

So, what kind of strategies do you use against Zelda's? How do you deal with her hyphen smashing?

Help would be much appreciated.

Osi

Smash Ace
This and marth are my worst matchups on Peach. I tend to keep just outside her forward tilt/smash range and wait for a mistake, and punish with a dash attack or forward tilt to juggles. The only luck I have against zelda is juggles, turnips, and dash attacks. Her up tilt/smash hitboxes are just ridiculous range, so I don't bother trying to come down from the air. Any time I'm above her I go as far to the sides of zelda as I can till I hit stage ground again lol. I still don't have a good game on zelda at all..... it's one of my match ups I need a bit of advice on as well. I simply haven't found anything that works all that well without being open to punishment.

exidid

Smash Journeyman
And to think I dropped Zelda ;_;
Camping is not much of a choice because she wrecks you with her Din's fire. Floating at head level is just calling for a hyphen up smash. I think punishing is the only choice. And glide Tossing to slaps or grab worked well. Side B is a move I used against her.

Other than that, that match up is my worst @_@

zyzex

Smash Rookie
That video was pretty "meh" at best.

I have a friend who is Zelda as a main so I've gotten quite a bit of practice in with my Peach against her. With that said, Zelda has a definitive advantage in close range. So just be an *** with your radishes, but not so predictable to where she can just Neutral+B constantly. And short bursts of float help as well, but only go in the air when you know you're going to hit.

PRINCESS PEACH777

Smash Lord
Zelda so easy i can avoid all of her attacks my advice for now have a few matches
with a level 9 Zelda keep doing the same thing and you will get better

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Fighting a Lv 9 CPU isn't the same as playing with a Zelda pro, it helps, but it's never the same.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Well, I think it helps a lot of course :p, but everyone knows that playing with a human is very different

peachfvl

Smash Apprentice
i just hate din´s fire and her dash attack because she grabs my turnips so easy and the death kick

try to evade those...slap a lot and glide toss too

exidid

Smash Journeyman
I remember using dair while I was falling and it canceled it. So dair out-prioritizes Din's Fire.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Learn how to tell the exact moment the fire will do damage. There's a topic on the boards about it somewhere, I think in the Marth boards.

You have to be careful in this match.

White-Peach

Smash Ace
The exact moment isnt necessary at all because Peach's NAir lasts long enough to give you complete protection from the blast if you use it before it reaches you, or after. Sure, the farther out the flame travels, the less accurate this statement becomes, but its a happy start for anyone planning to dazzle their zelda friends :p Practicing cancelling the blast with your NAir (blindly) will give you some protection while you learn the timing of the explosion (the flame disappears for a half second before exploding, hit your NAir then and you're safe.) I think it makes a sound too? I dont know, its a reflex now :p

Villi

Smash Lord
I don't fight many Zeldas as Peach, but I do main her. >.>

I don't know if that Marth thread was updated since I read it, but it's not a smart idea to watch Zelda instead of the Din's Fire. She snaps her fingers at the exact moment Din's Fire explodes -- which means if you wait for it before attempting to air dodge, you're going to get hit. You have to anticipate the move -- it's not very difficult. I hardly ever hit my friends with it when they're in the air anymore because it's just become second nature for them.

Din's Flame is more of a control tactic. Sometimes they'll air dodge a Din's Fire right into my USmash because I'm standing by the ledge and they're trying to get back on stage. The solution to that is simply to move in the opposite direction from Zelda, even if it means you have to recover from the edge. Toad also works well if she uses it close enough to you. Don't spam Toad tho cause her Naryu's Love will reflect Toad's spores back at you.

I would come at her with a turnip so she's distracted and can't punish your approach with a smash.

CedricIzDead

Smash Journeyman
Is it just Zelda who you are having problems with, or Sheik too?

Zelda, as well you know, is very powerful and is good at sending Peach flying. However, she is a little slower than Peach and just as light so don't be afraid to be aggressive! Turnips are useful to stop Zelda, as it can interrupt her in the middle of certain moves, which is particularly helpful against Din's Fire: she can't control where it explodes, and usually goes careening off to the edge of the screen before exploding. If you are lucky, and get a grumpy turnip, then you could just send her flying. Be aware that Peach's air moves are more powerful than most of her standing ones (obviously not her smashes). A good tactic to use is to float just above the ground (press down + jump at the same time) and use Royal Crown (forward attack in air). It is very powerful, but there is a long recovery time :ohwell:

When Zelda transforms into Sheik though, the battle will be a lot tougher. Sheik is one of the worst match ups for Peach so play it defensively. It may not seem like it but your turnips and Toad will be very handy against Sheik since it'll slow down Sheik's flow. Do not become predictable with Toad, as Peach is best played unpretictably! :chuckle:

Yours problematically,
CedricIzDead

Gwonam_guy

Smash Rookie
ehh, i'm not all that good when it comes to all the complicated logic and stuff etc, but i'll try my best to help

Zelda as a opponent is pretty bad in most ways, strong movesets and reasonable speeds going to have you on edge mostly

Firstly, her standard B can counter projectiles, so your turnips won't do much unless you can catch her whilst doing a din's fire, however, with good timing, you should be able to get her before she gets you

Din's fire is excellent on levels like FD and port town, where you only duke out on one platform, she can camp with it as well, and if hit accurately, can do a fair bit of damage,

if you're going to go offensive, you should try to watch her back off, she might go in for a din's fire, if so, quickly float and choose your attack position, retreating against a master of timing isn't wise as this attack can be fatal if done correctly

i'm not 100% sure if toad can actually reflect some of din's fire, if this works, you can use the attack to your advantage, especially if they rush you afterwards.

if you can time it right, peach bomb or forward hit (not smash, you'll be left open) her if she gets careless and gets too close.

if you're too afraid to get close, time the turnip throwing and coax her to use din's fire, time the jump and throw correctly, and you should get her before she has time to neutral-B

i don't know if any of this information is actually of any use, i'm not a veteran when it comes to advice, but there's a first time for everything. if it is helpful, good

Aeyr

Smash Apprentice
Turnips are useful to stop Zelda, as it can interrupt her in the middle of certain moves, which is particularly helpful against Din's Fire: she can't control where it explodes, and usually goes careening off to the edge of the screen before exploding.
I agree that turnips can be annoying, however I do not agree with the Dins fire. This is why I aim at the ground, so if an approaching peach does hit me with a turnip while I'm using Din's the blast will explode on ground contact and usually hit Peach along with it.

CedricIzDead

Smash Journeyman
@ Aeyr:
Wow, that's pretty amazing.

This is why my main isn't Zelda, I can never come up with clever stratagies like that for her. But I can for Peach :chuckle:

Thanks for the tip!

Yours magically,
CedricIzDead

exidid

Smash Journeyman
But the attack I fear the most from Zelda is her up smash. Floating to her is almost useless because she can just run and UP SMASH YOUR CROWN. Also, this Zelda I battled kept using side smash over and over again to keep me away, so getting close to her seemed impossible.

Djudjo

Smash Cadet
i try to attack zelda from far, and when i got the chance I go hit her with peach's Dair, to perform a combo, if I notice that she spams using Usmash I will go after her using a turnip and try to do a trick to confuse her os something. A good way to stop a Usmash spammer is to drop the turnip above zelda, the turnip will stop her attack and you'll have the chance to do a FastFall + Nair

Turnip + Fair combo is a great combination against zelda, as she wil have to dodge the turnip and the Fair will hit her, or, if the turnip hit her you'll have the chance to Fair her as she will flinch with the turnip hit, if you miss the Fair try to do a Dash Grab (if she is near) or pull another turnip (if you notice that you'll have time to do so), and try again..... sometime it will work. Zeda is really an annoying character....

Villi

Smash Lord
If anyone wants to vs. a Zelda -- pm me your FC and then you can post how you beat me. ^__^

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Try to give Zelda as little breathing space as possible. Also, avoid going in the air. You're more vulnerable to Din's Fire in the air. Shielding >>> air dodging.

I'm just saying what I think works in general.

CedricIzDead

Smash Journeyman
I've come up with a new strategy which is a little risky, and wont really apply to most battles. But it can happen a few times.

Zelda uses Din's Fire. That much is clear. when she tries to use it and you aren't too far away use Peach bomber. Some people may not notice you are doing it, and it takes a while to cancel Din's fire, so you may just by-pass the fire & hit zelda (you'd have to be very luck, I know)

But I'm still a turnip lover. Not just for the nutrients (but obv not the taste) but for the sheer humour thst you just ruined Zelda's concentration with a turnip which has a cartoony face.

Yours turniply,
CedricIzDead

P.O.P.

Smash Cadet
I played against Buzz online, and when he took out his Zelda, he totally ripped me off.

So, what kind of strategies do you use against Zelda's? How do you deal with her hyphen smashing?

Help would be much appreciated.
I havent really played a zelda player before, however, i have watched match ups of peach versing zelda. I main as peach and zelda (best as peach) and i know that the typical strategy for zelda is to let people come up to u and then u smash them, throw them etc.
In this case, u need to sometimes take distance and throw turnips at her. Sure she can reflect them but try to make it like an obstacle. For example, if someone is coming from the air to attack zelda, she would usually use a din fire like an obstacle. If they dodge the din fire, they will get hit by a smash and if they dont they get burned. In ur case, throw a turnip and then follow up with any numerous aerial or ground attacks. Peach, imo, is one of the best chars at building damage. I suggest doing that and then finishing off zelda. Zelda, imo, is one of the best finishers and it doesn't take too long for her to build up damage either. I personally am very evil in my strategies and tend to abuse their weaknesses against them. Against zelda, make sure that u use hits like Fair and forward smash to push her away. Zelda isnt super good at recoveries however peach is to a certain extent. So overall, against zelda dont directly fall towards her, if u attack use "pushy" attacks, and do ur best to combo and be basically like an abusive push over. This way u will have a good chance of winning(imo). Hope i've been of some help!

(btw i pretty much know what im talking about since i played melee before and one a few tournaments with peach. Im totally not a noob)

exidid

Smash Journeyman
That was helpful POP, thanks. I know the turnips aren't always used to hit, but more like a set up.

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
Spacing is very very crucial in this match up cause if u try to float over zelda, she can just slap on a good chunk of damage and a huge amount of knockback with the usmash. Glide tossed turnips i think work but as it was mentioned earlier din can be aimed downward and still hit peach use peaches faster moves like ftilt nair, ditilt and dsmash. just out speed her. im starting to use zelda alot more so ill be able to back some of this advice and change it later.

Gea

Smash Master
All you need in this matchup is to learn the spacing on her attacks.

Camping with Din's fire? Start turniping in between them. Approaching with Din's? Toad that ****.

Let her whiff and punish. She's not that fast. Just float less... if the Zelda is patient a floating peach is a free sweetspotted fair/bair.

P.O.P.

Smash Cadet
That was helpful POP, thanks. I know the turnips aren't always used to hit, but more like a set up.
your welcome and just remember, Zelda is not too bright at recovery, because she is my 2nd main, so keeping her against one side of the stage will put her in a very awkward position to fight back and will put u at a very good advantage.

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
You can only DI out of Zelda's smashes if she caughts you bad, that means if she smashes you good,
they're unDIable

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I practice against Zelda daily. I know just about everything there is to know about her. I never do anything but three stock Zelda's in tourneys now regardless of the character I pick.

-For peach, just try to get Zelda to approach. Dodge din's and don't be so obvious when you throw your turnips. Maybe wait for her to start din's and then throw the turnip.
-When you defend against her. Just shield everything she does, except her running approaches. She has a very hard time approaching anyone. Dtilt her fairs OoS, Shieldgrab her nairs. Shield>jab her upsmashes. Spotdodge everything else.
-Edgeguard her very aggressively, or she'll teleport back to the stage and you won't have your chance to gimp her.
-Don't ever be above her. This is gonna be hard to settle with, but try not to float above her and dair. Her upsmash beats it out. :/
-Use SHfairs and bairs to pressure her and to get her to back off if you're near the edge.
-Recover from below if you have to. Zelda's can't be too risky edgeguarding below the stage or they may end up killing themselves easily. She falls slowly, so it'll be easy to see any edgeguarding attempt coming.
-Your best kill move is probably fair or fsmash. This is something I like to do to set up the kill: float above her upsmash range and use a falling bair to move your hurtbox away from the upsmash. This will sometimes bait an empty upsmash and you can punish it with an fsmash. Something else you can do out of this floating is fall back and fair<jabs. If she reacts fast enought to shield the fair, your jabs are faster than her grab. She's got a slow grab compared to most characters. Try to abuse your jab.

Well, I hope this helps. Good luck.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Random note: be VERY careful with Toad. Nayru's Love will activate it and then it will reflect the spores... and they'll do more damage.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
lol... Zelda should NOT use nayru's vs turnips since 90% of the time, they won't hit peach and Zelda will just leave herself open to be counterattacked.

Shana

Smash Rookie
Her fire isn't the problem for me. What I hate is all her Smash attacks. Smash DI through them (up and forward) does help a lot, but I still lose to her :3 Psychological counter against me~

As for turnips - I like to drop them when coming down on her. Distraction at worse - helps prevent you from getting caught in her nice up + attack moves. This is especially helpful when she tries to recover off the stage.

Top Bottom