• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Aftermath's Guide to Samus

Corigames

Smash Hero
Counter that with not sucking yourself.

The Up B is flawless. Absolutely. Don't question it. Just do it. And do it right. If you lose, you did it wrong. That's how you know. Short sentences. You're fired Parker!

Geist

Smash Master
to upB out of shield:

1) Be playing as Samus (or maybe bowser)
2) Shield
3) Press Up
4) Press B (about wd speed after you hit up)
5) Hit falco
6) Enjoy

EBF

Smash Cadet
Falco players are getting smarter about it now a day though.
Spacing out their aerials and stuff.
I mean, HugS got straight beasted against Forward.
He was rusty but no johns right?

Corigames

Smash Hero
HugS got straight beasted against Forward.
He was rusty
beasted against Forward
rusty
Forward
rusty
Do you not see the combination of **** that would lead to him losing? Also, he said to not use him as an example...

Geist

Smash Master
lol you got banned again

Green = Their Shield is in stun

Red = Their Shield is not in stun

Early Pillar (dair asap out of shine):

1 Shine, Hitlag
2 Hitlag
3 Hitlag
4 Hitlag
5 Hitlag
8 Start Jump

13 Airborne (start Dair)

17 Dair Hits, Hitlag
18 Hitlag
19 Hitlag
20 Hitlag
21 Hitlag
22 Hitlag
23 Hitlag

32 Fast Fall
36 Land, LC lag
37 LC lag
38 LC lag
39 LC lag
40 LC lag
41 LC lag
42 LC lag
43 LC lag
44 LC lag

45 Shine again

Ideal Pillar (Typical Pillar):

1 Shine, Hitlag
2 Hitlag
3 Hitlag
4 Hitlag
5 Hitlag
8 Start Jump

13 Airborne
21 Start Dair

26 Dair Hits, HitLag, Fast Fall
27 Hitlag
28 Hitlag
29 Hitlag
30 Hitlag
31 Hitlag
32 Hitlag
36 Land- LC lag
37 LC lag
38 LC lag
39 LC lag

40 LC lag
41 LC lag
42 LC lag
43 LC lag
44 LC lag

45 Shine again

Late Dair (Dair hits right before landing)

1 Shine, Hitlag
2 Hitlag
3 Hitlag
4 Hitlag
5 Hitlag
8 Start Jump

13 Airborne
25 Start Dair
26 Fast Fall

29 Dair Hits, Hitlag
30 Hitlag
31 Hitlag
32 Hitlag
33 Hitlag
34 Hitlag
35 Hitlag
36 Land, LC lag
37 LC lag
38 LC lag
39 LC lag
40 LC lag
41 LC lag
42 LC lag

43 LC lag
44 LC lag

45 Shine Again
Falco's pillars do actually have a significant amount of time where he is vulnerable, if you look at it frame by frame.

Falco's early pillar has 6 frames of lag before he shine cancels into a dair, and 14 frames from the time his dair connects to his shine.

Falco's ideal pillar has 15 frames of lag before he shine cancels into a dair, and 5 frames from the time his dair connects to his shine.

Falco's late pillar has 18 frames of lag before he shine cancels into a dair, and 2 frames from the time his dair connects to his shine

Compare that to this:
Superdoodleman said:
Screw Attack

--from the ground--
Total: 49
invincible: 1-5

Hit: 4-7, 8-9, 10-11, 12-13, 14-15,
16-17, 18-19, 20-21, 22-23, 24-25,
26-27, 28-29
can grab edge as soon as 26

--in the air--
Total: 47
Invincible: 1-3
Hit: 4-5, 6-7, 8-9, 10-11, 12-13,
14-15, 16-17, 18-19, 20-21, 22-23,
24-25, 26-27
can grab edge as soon as 38

Grabs edges on both sides

Landlag: 24
Landfallspeciallag: 24
So as you can see, the screw attack out of a shield will first hit on frame 5, as well as having invincibility frames.
Samus's UpB out of shield takes 3 frames to be able to hit. 1 to get out of shield, 1 to begin the jump animation ( I may be mistaken on this ), and 1 to start up invincibility frames 1-5, by which time the screw attack hits.
This means theoretically, Samus can UpB OoS falco in any gap of falco's pillars except for the end of a late pillar.

Keep in mind though, that this is eliminating human error. The easiest gaps that you can hit are:
- after falco dairs in an early pillar (14 frames ~ up until frame 10 to UpB OoS)
- after Falco shines in an ideal pillar (15 frames ~ up until frame 11 to UpB OoS)
- after falco shines in a late pillar (18 frames ~ up until frame 14 to UpB OoS)

It's a split second, but it isn't that hard to hit, really.

Of course there is the other problem of spacing. With Dair, Screw attack's hitbox is bigger than Falco's so it's easier to hit, but space properly you can still miss. Try to SDI in your shield towards falco to get closer to him, then do it.

With nair, try the same, but don't expect to Screw attack someone with good spacing as easily.

EBF

Smash Cadet
I have never read frame data and I dont plan on doing it any time soon.
Im not a nub who thinks UpBing Falco is bad, Im just stating a fact which is "Falco players are learning to avoid UpB very very well, now a day."
Enough talk about Falco though, we all know the matchup (since its been the same since forever).
Next topic . . .

HugS™

Smash Lord
Falco players are getting smarter about it now a day though.
Spacing out their aerials and stuff.
I mean, HugS got straight beasted against Forward.
He was rusty but no johns right?
I have never read frame data and I dont plan on doing it any time soon.
Im not a nub who thinks UpBing Falco is bad, Im just stating a fact which is "Falco players are learning to avoid UpB very very well, now a day."
Enough talk about Falco though, we all know the matchup (since its been the same since forever).
Next topic . . .

It's things like this that make me less anxious to pick melee back up. There are no johns to be had. I pretty much said "I'm not HugS right now, don't use me as an example". I just joined the tournament for fun and as a favor to Mango. I haven't touched the game in months, what you saw of me that tournament was with warm up @ 2pm that day.

I was still good enough to **** everyone I used to ****, but I was in no shape to handle the people that used to hang with me back in my prime (Mango and forward were far and away the only players to give me trouble in the bracket/pools)

I've earned the right to john about rustiness because I didn't lose to falco for 3 years. Samus isn't the type of character you can just pick back up and insert a formula into. This ***** is hard to play!

As for falcos, they already knew how to avoid up B's back in the day. And I still had ways of landing them. And if I couldn't land them, well, then that means they were fighting so differently vs me that the match became easier anyways, IE Less shield pressure, more passive play = easier for me.

****, but this also makes me want to pick up melee again just to show you all that it's possible again, then I'll vanish into the night when you all have hope again.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Nah, I'd rather win Genesis and have everyone, finally, praise me. Your time has passed >_>

MM at Genesis too Hugs. Dreamland. 8 stock. Feel it.

Geist

Smash Master
coreygames vs mango in grand finals...
I can see that.

I vote hugs picks up this game again, may it only be to slap samus players on the hand.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Yeah, I've been imagining myself sitting down next to Mango, M2K, SS, Cactaur, etc. shaking their hands and then ****** them. The biggest problem, I think, would be playing the people that I have already played. They know how I play and also taught me how to play. Taj, forward, Wobbles, and then there's AXE and Vectorman in Sierra Vista who think I could go pro. That expectation is insane.

tl;dr
Yeah, I'm just trying to imagine playing everyone I'll expect to see there.

EBF

Smash Cadet
Hey, corey.
Ive been trying to find vids of you but I cant find any.
Are you known as coreygames or do you have a different tag?

Corigames

Smash Hero
Hey, corey.
Ive been trying to find vids of you but I cant find any.
Are you known as coreygames or do you have a different tag?
I just am so unlucky to never get recorded. Every tournament I go to I never get to play on the "recording" machine or whatnot. When I went to SoVa, I had a few matches I tthought were being recorded against a Fox player, but they got lost or whatever. I really don't have any videos. The only ones I have are from me playing in November against someone to help me get my rust off. I don't think they are that great and I make numerous, gigantic errors not only in my usually game style, but general **** ups that cost me stocks.

SA-X is my gamer tag. Coreygames is my interwebs name.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
SA-X is my gamer tag. Coreygames is my interwebs name.
I used to use that tag when I played melee casually. D:
Only regular samus though.

I like how your samus looks so calm throughout the match.
Also, what you did at 1:33 (uair through platform to bair) was exactly what I would have done, even though I was sure it wouldn't end well... :[

Corigames

Smash Hero
Thank you.

Like I said, I'm going to be recording footage this weekend at my tournament and then again, hopefully, on the 18th. This way you can see my more current, less rusty, and improved Samus in a tournament.

Watty

Smash Lord
i will blind u all with the beautiful light that is my samus

Watty

Smash Lord
Dude I Dont Know What Either Of Those Tournies Are So Nope

EBF

Smash Cadet
It's things like this that make me less anxious to pick melee back up. There are no johns to be had. I pretty much said "I'm not HugS right now, don't use me as an example". I just joined the tournament for fun and as a favor to Mango. I haven't touched the game in months, what you saw of me that tournament was with warm up @ 2pm that day.

I was still good enough to **** everyone I used to ****, but I was in no shape to handle the people that used to hang with me back in my prime (Mango and forward were far and away the only players to give me trouble in the bracket/pools)

I've earned the right to john about rustiness because I didn't lose to falco for 3 years. Samus isn't the type of character you can just pick back up and insert a formula into. This ***** is hard to play!

As for falcos, they already knew how to avoid up B's back in the day. And I still had ways of landing them. And if I couldn't land them, well, then that means they were fighting so differently vs me that the match became easier anyways, IE Less shield pressure, more passive play = easier for me.

****, but this also makes me want to pick up melee again just to show you all that it's possible again, then I'll vanish into the night when you all have hope again.
Yes HugS, pick up Melee again.
You know you want to.
You fell for my trap card. I said all that jazz so that you would retaliate and start playing Melee again. JUST AS ****ING PLANNED!

Geist

Smash Master
I think playing as seriously and ambitiously for as long as he did would be kind of a turn-off from melee. Even I need short breaks once and a while. I don't play Barwl though. D:

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
I think playing as seriously and ambitiously for as long as he did would be kind of a turn-off from melee. Even I need short breaks once and a while. I don't play Barwl though. D:
Yeah i guess so. Sometimes melee does get boring, notice how i said sometimes though.

Top Bottom