• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U After Smash bros for Wii U comes out, will Melee and Brawl no longer be relevant?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
PM and Melee? Dying?

Pinch me, I think this is too untrue to be true :)

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well keeping in mind that I live all the way over here in Ireland, far away from the Smash community at large:

I'll pretty much only focus on Smash Wii U/3DS going forward, personally. It is (likely) going to have stable online, and the online features are already the bare minimum I would need to get hooked on online Smash, and even a bit more than it.

However, I do intend to keep up-to-date with Project M. As for Melee (and Smash 64), I see myself going back to it for little more than nostalgia or research, since nobody will be willing to play it and I have no local community. Same could be said for Brawl but it has Subspace Emissary which I know I will want to go back to, and I have yet to 100% the game (nearly did it on my original save file but that has been lost forever). So maybe well into Smash 4's lifespan, I will mix Brawl in with it. Oh, and I'm only really STARTING to discover Super Smash Flash 2, so I intend to keep up with it.

As far as the tournament scene goes, Melee will go strong regardless of Smash 4. Project M has a good shot too. Not sure how SSF2 is doing since it's still a baby as far as being a part of the larger community is, and I am concerned for Brawl. However, if Project M lives on but Brawl doesn't, I still think Brawl is technically living on, since the greatness that is Project M would not exist without the greatness that is Brawl.

D

Deleted member 245254

Everyone else is entitled to do what they please but I am moving in to the future of Smash with my head held high.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Fighting games only linger and last depending on their communities devotion to them.

That said, Melee's community is strong, and only keeps getting stronger from here. Not only that, but most Melee players don't accept change, so while they will probably try out the new Smash, they might just stick to Melee anyway.
Brawl is already on its last few breaths, and only serves as a way to boot up Project M (and other Brawl hacks I suppose). Project M won't last as much as Melee, since not everyone from the Melee community has shifted to it despite having gameplay based on it.

As for Smash 4, well, we need to wait and see if the community, both casual and competitive (mostly competitive) will embrace it. If its fate turns out to be like Brawl's, people will probably revert back to Melee and/or Project M, but if it has merits of its own it should be able to form its very own community and maybe bring in people that also play Melee, as well as the Brawl players looking for somewhere else to start out.

64 is hardly ever mentioned nowadays so that one's fate is clear as day. I still find myself playing it every now and then on my emulator though, still plenty fun.

Last edited:

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
Brawl definitely won't die out but the scene won't be much bigger than the 64 scene now.
PM depends on how similar the new game is to Melee/Brawl and how stubborn people are willing to be.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
As a casual player, I can tell you guys this.

Melee and Brawl will probably still be continued to be played even if it's just a casual setting. They might not be relevant in a competitive setting at some point in the future, but they will most certainly always be talk about and played by a large number people.

Now, for the limited amount of competitive scene knowledge I have, I will say melee will still have a strong tournament scene, while brawl will probably be nonexistent in the tournament scene, but will still be probably played competitively.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Melee is a definite maybe, only if this game is comp viable.
I think brawl will be killed by this game. The only people who will be plying brawl are lovers of veterans that May or may not be cut.
Oh for the love of god please let rob be in this game
Project M will probably still have some fuel, (this is assuming melee dies) but it will definitely slow down (again, assuming sm4sh is good competitively).

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
I think Smash 4 has a lot going with the online. People on The Boards will be creating their own tourneys fore sure, but online. Not everyone can drive or whatever to tournaments but now you'll be able to access them from your own home! This will make people more inclined to join the competitive community and if the game is big competitively the Melee fanboys might flock over.

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
Melee will still be relevant.
Brawl will not. [unless Project M is still doing well at the time]

the8thark

Smash Lord
Apart from a few diehards Smash 64 is dead.

I think Melee will be played a lot competitively. But the casuals will probably move over to SSB4. You can play Melee and Brawl on the same hardware. You can play Brawl and SSB4 on the same hardware. I think that will be the issue. Nintendo so needs a gamecube virtual console. I'd buy Melee again just for that to play it on the WIiU.

Brawl? I think if SSB4 is just a better Brawl then there will be little reason to play Brawl because you can play SSB4 on the same console. And the fight mechanics are similar. The Melee fans could say Roy and Pichu and Mewtwo as an excuse to keep playing Melee and it'd be a good excuse. I still cry over no Roy in Brawl and SSB4 (so far). But Brawl really can't use this excuse. I think Brawl will become like Smash 64, for the diehards only or for those who want to do the Subspace Emissary again.

Project M? Like most fan made things, the original is better. But this Mod is pretty good from what I've heard. I don't know if it has PAL support. If not then it's dead in those regions. The NTSC users I think will use it somewhat if they want to play some of the Melee character who were cut for Brawl and SSB4. Pichu fans though can't do that as it's not in Project M. So I think it's popularity with the casuals at least will depend on what SSB4 is like. And if they have a WiiU or not.

Last edited:

PCHU

Smash Lord
I don't think the "Melee players won't move on" is really applicable to all; there are many that will play Smash 4, but still keep Melee alive because it was a good game with amazing gameplay.
I mean, I have a lot of fun with Melee, Brawl, and Project M, and even though it'd be kinda cool to see more Melee mechanics in Smash 4 (or something closer to the movement in general; PM's movement is still too "slippery" for me to feel completely comfortable with), I'm gonna play Smash 4 anyways because I'm a fan of the Smash series as a whole.
I've got a lot of friends that really don't care what Smash iteration they play as long as they get to play it.

As far as communities staying alive, I feel like a large part of Brawl's community came from people new to the Smash series, and a lot of people will just move on to the newest thing.
If Smash 4's roster has no cuts and only expands, keeping its gameplay in mind, I can't see Brawl's community sticking around for too much longer.
It was a fun game, don't get me wrong, but I feel like Smash 4 is doing everything Brawl did and more; at least 64 had the crazy hitstun with 0-deaths and Melee had the faster and more technical gameplay.

R0Y

Smash Master
To me, yes, they'll become as irrelevant as Smash 64 did. I still cherish that cartridge all the same, even though it's a Player's Choice cart.

Last edited:

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is gonna die off quickly, Smash 4 seems like a much better competitive and casual game overall. While I'll always remember it for all of the hours of gameplay that I got out of it, I personally don't see any reason to go back to it after Smash 4 comes out except for Snake if he's cut. If Melee is still alive it always will be, and I'm not really sure about Project M because I've never played it, although I can see it lasting for a bit longer then Brawl.

Nielicus

Smash Lord
Melee hasn't been relevant to me for a while, and as soon as Smash Wii U comes out I won't be playing brawl all that much if at all. But because people still play Melee competitively now 13 years later, of course it'll stay relevant.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Will still play Melee, but honestly, this is a new Smash game and I think everyone should at least give it a try. I'm 100% certain I will enjoy this game.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
It makes me sad that so many people think that Brawl will no longer be relevant just because of Smash 4. I like Brawl.

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
The games still play differently and have different overall speeds. If there was a SPEED EDITOR however that made it play more like either Brawl or Melee (which they should totally do tbh) that let you adjust it, then the other two would be overshadowed besides nostalgia.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
The games still play differently and have different overall speeds. If there was a SPEED EDITOR however that made it play more like either Brawl or Melee (which they should totally do tbh) that let you adjust it, then the other two would be overshadowed besides nostalgia.
there are more factors to why melee is more popular than just speed.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
They technically have that in a way:

Though it's more the individual and nuanced mechanics of past games that people might cling to, specifically with Melee.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion: SSB64 will increase its scene a little as the interest for the series is growing. Melee will be as played as now. Project M will gain even more popularity, but its mod condition will take it out of some events. Brawl is already dying, and its community refuses to save it using things like Balanced Brawl, so it's going to go downwards until we just forget it.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
I'm a casual player that watches the competitive community very much so. With players existing like Ken, M2K, Armada, Mango, and even Cosmo, I don't think Melee or PM will die.
If they do, it'll be 45371 centuries after my death in the afterlife.

el_profe

Smash Cadet
Melee will continue, but Sm4sh will be a lot bigger, I believe. Lots of us are waiting for the new version before jumping in competitively, and if its as good and deep as it looks (I played the E3 build for several hours), its here to stay and will only grow. Vets will need to adapt if they want to remain relevant. They can keep playing Melee, but it'll be a page 2 game. Sm4sh will be the front page and get more of the sponsorships IMHO. Time will tell of course, but we're all just making predictions here.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I didn't know how to word it. There are more ATs?
not quite brawl had plenty of AT's to be honest. its more allong the lines of sluggishness. Melee fans like to have 100 % control over the character so when a person realistically has an animation going back to there feet they don't like it.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
It depends on Smash 4 competitive viability but either way, Brawl 's scene is gonna shrink.

SoaringDive

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoaringDive
3DS FC
2148-8150-1379
It makes me sad that so many people think that Brawl will no longer be relevant just because of Smash 4. I like Brawl.
I love Brawl, but Smash 4 will make Brawl less relevant... in a good way! Smash 4 takes what I prefer about Brawl over Melee, fixes what I didn't like about Brawl, and added goddamn Mega Man.

Mega Man!

Senario

Smash Ace
not quite brawl had plenty of AT's to be honest. its more allong the lines of sluggishness. Melee fans like to have 100 % control over the character so when a person realistically has an animation going back to there feet they don't like it.
ah there is the silly realism argument. Tell me, does anything about smash or any other fighting game for that matter have be realistic? no they are games and wanting quicker animations for a more fluid game is a legitimate suggestion. I dont think invulnerability frames on all DP inputs in fighting games are realistic but that doesnt matter as they are needed and important.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
After Smash bros for Wii U comes out, will Melee and Brawl no longer be relevant?

Can't speak for everyone, but i know for me personally my attention will be focused on Smash 4. I might dabble a bit in PM here and there but i'm gonna be sticking with Smash 4!

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
ah there is the silly realism argument. Tell me, does anything about smash or any other fighting game for that matter have be realistic? no they are games and wanting quicker animations for a more fluid game is a legitimate suggestion. I dont think invulnerability frames on all DP inputs in fighting games are realistic but that doesnt matter as they are needed and important.
LOl you put to much thought into it. i honestly don't care in gameplay. Just as an animator hearing some comments around here make it seem like they want someone to crouch than go to standing in 1 frame witch in animation is just trerrible. But other than that i really did not mean anything serious. Don't need to jump on me bro. im not Zipzo or somthin.

Senario

Smash Ace
LOl you put to much thought into it. i honestly don't care in gameplay. Just as an animator hearing some comments around here make it seem like they want someone to crouch than go to standing in 1 frame witch in animation is just trerrible. But other than that i really did not mean anything serious. Don't need to jump on me bro. im not Zipzo or somthin.
I wont lol. I just dislike realism arguments. If every game were realistic we would have to spend some time loading individual bullets into a magazine once you were out of pre filled bullet magazines in fps. Or we wouldnt have creative party fighting games like smash. Or fighting games in general.

Animations can balance a move or change balance immensely though. In blazblue jin had his air medium be a great cross up and air approach simply because it came out quick and covered a large area. In the later games they slowed down the startup so the twirl happened slightly later and people started using other methods of getting in. The amount of frames is important. Though i do think one frame shines are rediculous if you can wavedash out of it though jump cancels are fine imo for it.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I wont lol. I just dislike realism arguments. If every game were realistic we would have to spend some time loading individual bullets into a magazine once you were out of pre filled bullet magazines in fps. Or we wouldnt have creative party fighting games like smash. Or fighting games in general.

Animations can balance a move or change balance immensely though. In blazblue jin had his air medium be a great cross up and air approach simply because it came out quick and covered a large area. In the later games they slowed down the startup so the twirl happened slightly later and people started using other methods of getting in. The amount of frames is important. Though i do think one frame shines are rediculous if you can wavedash out of it though jump cancels are fine imo for it.
I understand but my view was stickily from a animation point view. (i like low lag as well)
but can you imagine a cartoon where every action occurred in 1 frame? ugh When i see animation sometimes i appreciate the quality. Something i didn't notice until i decided to play brawl one day over PM. ( im not just talking about landing lag too)

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Brawl? Sure.
Melee? Absolutely not.
Melee Fanboys and their Wave-dashing. :B

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
THAT's what I wanted to say.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Heres how it will go

64 and melee will always be relevant

Brawl will lose a little relevance but not project m (brawl will still be played to play as the cut characters in ssb4)

And as for ssb4 its going to be a combination of brawl and melee is how i think its going to play but ssb4 is likely to be the best one yet (possibly but no where near like melee.)

Top Bottom