• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U After Smash bros for Wii U comes out, will Melee and Brawl no longer be relevant?

Ilovetwewy

Smash Rookie
Not that I hate them ( Melee is one of my favourite games) but still. This is looking to be the best Smash bros ever and with patches could be the perfect Smash game.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Melee will still be relevant.
Brawl will... At least people will use that game to play as characters that got cut in the new games.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Not very likely for Melee and probably so for Brawl unless Project M is still doing well at the time. Still too early to really tell.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Melee will almost certainly retain a strong scene, as will Project M. Brawl's scene is already divided, dwindling, and disorganized, so I don't see it existing as more than a niche game going forward. Melee is actually stronger now than it's ever been, but Smash 4 is pretty much guaranteed to overtake it initially due to the hype of a new game and online, though its legacy will be determined by how it holds up after that.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
At the very least, Melee still has plenty of life in it. there are still plenty of people hanging on to Super Street Fighter II Turbo.

Brawl, I'm just not sure.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I highly doubt Smash 4 will cause Melee to fade into obscurity, as for Brawl, maybe. I'm sure people will still play it though.

Calmsmasher

Smash Rookie
They all will still be relevant if smash 64 is still being played competitively.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
At the very least, Melee still has plenty of life in it. there are still plenty of people hanging on to Super Street Fighter II Turbo.

Brawl, I'm just not sure.
That analogy with SF2T is spot on. It's the communities choice, and there is a large community for melee so it will probably still be relevant. Personally as someone from the melee community I'm going to be playing both melee and 4.

Unless... Smash 4's gameplay and depth overshadows melee (hey its possible and I'm hoping for it)

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
I really don't see much of a reason for Brawl to stay relevant unless there happens to be a lot more cuts than people are expecting. Melee will still be relevant until the day there is a game just like it, and even then there are probably some people that will just stick to it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Melee will no doubt still be around, its community is waaaay too strong.

There will be little reason to return to Brawl though, this seems like it's going to be better than that in every way possible.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I enjoy all the games, but I for the most part just focus on the newest one. Cya Brawl, it was fun!

Renji64

Smash Lord
Melee will be around It is the definitive competieve smash game was more for the hardcore.
Brawl There is no reason to play other than to load project m now.
Smash 4 is looking far from perfect but it will make brawl nothing more than a bad memory.

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
Melee will be relevant
Brawl will fade out of existence because people who are fans of it are more fans of "the new one" than Brawl specifically by the sounds of things
Project M may continue to increase.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It's better gameplay wise than Brawl, that much is for sure. So Brawl will mostly be used for specific things it had other games didn't. Brawl competitive? I don't think it will stick around over smash 4.

Melee and PM, they will still hang around.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
That's up to the individual(s), which I'm sure Melee will be played even if its numbers drop.

Me? I'm not looking back.

Xiaphas

Smash Cadet
Honestly I don't see PM lasting much longer after smash 4. Melee will lose some numbers, but the competitive community will keep it alive.
and Brawl will... hahahahhahahah, yeah, nope

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Melee will be around until A. Melee 2.0 comes around or B. The world grows tired of Melee.
P:M I never tried so no idea.
Brawl will mostly be used for if a certain character doesn't return (Not going to say any names).

shapular

Smash Ace
I think Melee will die. Its fans should be happy to jump to a legit game with real balance (hopefully) and combos. Brawl fans will be happy to move on to Smash 4. PM will stick around for All-Star Versus side tournaments.

Xiaphas

Smash Cadet
I think Melee will die. Its fans should be happy to jump to a legit game with real balance (hopefully) and combos. Brawl fans will be happy to move on to Smash 4. PM will stick around for All-Star Versus side tournaments.
I think expecting a melee player to convert to Smash4 is like expecting a CoD player to convert to Halo. I honestly think Smash4 will be a better balanced, higher quality game. However, nothing is going to replace the super-fast twitch action of Melee for the hardcore fans.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Melee will stay relevant because of the surge of Melee players this year and last. Also the whole "It's not Melee" mindset will keep many from moving forward with Smash 4.

I would say Brawl is on its way out. It has been said that Smash 4 is closer to Brawl and if it really is Brawl 2.0 (we don't know this yet and I doubt it will be) then there will be no reason to go back to Brawl. The only people playing it will be Brawl elitists and those not willing to play PM.

PM will remain relevant for a time but I think will slowly die out with the success of Smash 4. Only people playing it will be those who want to play "Melee" with Brawl characters

Smash 4 will be the top game initially and I think it will remain the top game even after time goes on and the meta game develops

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
Its hard to tell, but I think Melee and PM will stay alive, but Brawl is probably done.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
RIP in pieces Brawl. Personally, you won't be missed.

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
Melee and Project M will still be around for years to come.

Brawl, I personally don't think it will be around anymore once Smash 4 comes out!

Renji64

Smash Lord
combos that combo thread for smash 4 was empty as af lol. Better keep dreaming.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Hopefully they won't cannibalize each other but I can definitely see Brawl suffering the greatest out of any Smash title by far due to the fact that Smash 4 is a much more superior version. Or maybe it will go down like Melee vs Project M where they both flourished alongside one another. Only time will tell!

shapular

Smash Ace
combos that combo thread for smash 4 was empty as af lol. Better keep dreaming.
WOW. WE DON'T HAVE EXTENSIVE COMBO KNOWLEDGE OF A GAME THAT FEW PEOPLE HAVE PLAYED FOR MORE THAN AN HOUR. CLEARLY SMASH 4 WILL HAVE NO COMBOS.

Why are you even on this board? From everything you've posted it seems like you don't even want to play this game.

Dust the Baptist

Weeaboos aren't people.
NNID
Mank210
3DS FC
2809-9541-0380
I want all smash games to remain relevant, but as for me i'm only gonna focus on PM and smash 4.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Why does this thread exist? This has very little to do with Smash 4.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
Why does this thread exist? This has very little to do with Smash 4.
It has plenty, we're talking about smash 4's effect on other games in the community as well as the community itself.

I personally think melee will dwindle a bit but I don't see it fading away anytime soon it's only been rising in popularity lately. As for brawl I think it's more or less dead as is and I certainly don't see it having a melee style revival..however it sort of lives on in project m to an extent which I only see getting more popular as it grows

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Brawl is (mostly) going to be kept for casual play because of mods(custom characters, stages, costumes, music, movesets, etc...)
I don't really hear anything on Brawl's comp scene ever and I don't pay attention to comp brawl or melee which is probably a bad thing.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
so far no smash game lost relevancy with the next installment so i'll remain optimistic and say no every game will still fill it's niche

Top Bottom