• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U After Smash bros for Wii U comes out, will Melee and Brawl no longer be relevant?

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i don't think many at all will stick with brawl. only people who have no wii u.

as for melee, i don't see that scene being affected much. the transient fans have already moved on to brawl or project M and the people left are the core players who are very loyal to it. if anything, the new smash GCN controllers will make more people the slightest bit more willing to go back and play melee.

not sure how project M will be affected, but then again i know virtually nothing about the project M scene outside a few tourney matches i watched. i can see it at least temporarily coming to a near-halt as players try to figure out the deal with this new smash.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Melee will always be relevant. The competitive scene will live on for years to come, that's just how things will go.

Master Jelly

Smash Cadet
In terms of the competitive scene, I imagine Melee and PM will live on. But when looking at it in terms of content, all games will remain relevant. People will still come back to Brawl occasionally for the cut characters, the cutscene driven campaign, the stages, the Boss Battle mode (considering that there are now stage bosses, I doubt this will return), and anything else that doesn't transfer over to Smash 4 or anything else unique about Brawl that they enjoy. No Smash game is like the other, so you really can't say one game is just a 'slight improvement' of the last, thus making them all relevant in their own right.

Last edited:

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
Melee may die when Smash 5 is released. Because Smash 5 will be exactly like Melee hopefully

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Melee will still be relevant without a doubt. The scene is growing as bigger as ever. I question Brawl's relevance as a competitive game, because I have never heard of any significant Brawl events aside from the one stock ruleset at GOML.

Brawl will still be a game that's played because of various modding like Brawl Minus. It will still be played because it's really fun as a Smash game, and it's a great game to play as characters that could potentially be cut in Smash 4. Brawl discs will still be used because of Project M.

However, I think competitive Brawl has begun digging its grave and the game in that context is a done deal. Smash 4 is on it's way to make major improvements from Brawl with new mechanics, new characters, adjusted physics engine, and an entire new scene in general with many people ranging from playing 64 to Brawl joining in as well. It seems like many of the Brawl players have agreed to move on to Smash 4.

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
Brawl will most likely die (rip in peace) Melee will continue to be played and all the brawl peeps will move onto Smash 4 along with some other people from the other Smash games, along with new faces never before seen in the smash scene.

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
Brawl will most likely die (rip in peace) Melee will continue to be played and all the brawl peeps will move onto Smash 4 along with some other people from the other Smash games, along with new faces never before seen in the smash scene.
Rest in Piece in piece?

I can't see Brawl surviving myself. After having played Melee and Brawl back to back, I really do like Melee so much more (it was the golden days of my tournament life), and I'm praying Sm4sh really does a lot to mimic the playstyle while giving us something new at the same time.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Brawl already died years ago. Melee will still resist but I think a lot of people will pass to Smash Bros. 4 honestly, it just has so many characters more. Project:M was stillborn but I'm interested in what they will be capable of doing with Smash 4 WiiU.
Smash 3DS also is born dead, nobody will care about it when the superior version gets released.

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
I'm praying Sm4sh really does a lot to mimic the playstyle while giving us something new at the same time.
I don't think Smash 4 will try to mimic Melee in that many aspects with that being said however it can still be a good competitive game by doing it's own thing but we'll have to wait and see.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Brawl will die for sure. Melee and project M will continue to be releveant

Smash 4 will live up the first year thru hype and novelty..after that..it will depend on how good the game really is if it survives and doesnt end like brawl, being the ugly duck of the family

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
combos that combo thread for smash 4 was empty as af lol. Better keep dreaming.
Wearing these for long periods of time can do serious damage to your ability to see and appreciate combos on other games on the Smash series:

As much as I'd love for Melee to burn up like a supernova and finally die, I don't see that happening any time soon, and Brawl will probably fade out slowly when Smash 4 releases, especially if there are some cut characters that add a lot to the game and shouldn't have been cut (Ivysaur and Snake).

Senario

Smash Ace
Wearing these for long periods of time can do serious damage to your ability to see and appreciate combos on other games on the Smash series:

As much as I'd love for Melee to burn up like a supernova and finally die, I don't see that happening any time soon, and Brawl will probably fade out slowly when Smash 4 releases, especially if there are some cut characters that add a lot to the game and shouldn't have been cut (Ivysaur and Snake).
People play what they find fun so sucks to be you. People still find melee and the community fun. Wearing those melee hate glasses must be hard though. Why cant you let people play what they want?

Renji64

Smash Lord

If that is where the combos are i'm down sure couldn't find any in that thread it was about empty as brawl touraments. Sakurai said melee is the sharpest entry in the series i can't help i don't like the most dull entry that much.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
If that is where the combos are i'm down sure couldn't find any in that thread it was about empty as brawl touraments. Sakurai said melee is the sharpest entry in the series i can't help i don't like the most dull entry that much.
Not liking what YOU consider the dullest entry of the series is fine, looking for opportunities to bash it ISN'T. You replied to someone who was only saying something positive about Smash4 because they were seeing the real combos you fail to see. Oh but we can't have anyone saying anything good about Smash4, can we?

Renji64

Smash Lord
Not liking what YOU consider the dullest entry of the series is fine, looking for opportunities to bash it ISN'T. You replied to someone who was only saying something positive about Smash4 because they were seeing the real combos you fail to see. Oh but we can't have anyone saying anything good about Smash4, can we?
Smash 4 looks pretty and will be the best casual friendly entry in the series. It is not brawl 2.0 or anything at all. There u go.

Senario

Smash Ace
The funny thing is you have a distaste for melee and seems like you want its scene to die only out of spite. You are no better than those who will bash smash 4 without good reasoning. And even then that is their opinion and you likely will bash them. Really you two arent so different. Switch smash 4 for melee in any case and you said the same thing.

madBowers

Smash Rookie
NNID
Adamsrewob
3DS FC
1177-9203-9654
I think Melee will stick around for awhile. It seems like the kind of game people in the Smash community use as a measuring stick for newer Smash games. I believe Sakura himself said he poured his heart and soul in that game.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Double Post
Melee may die when Smash 5 is released. Because Smash 5 will be exactly like Melee hopefully
What!! Only Seven viable characters?

The funny thing is you have a distaste for melee and seems like you want its scene to die only out of spite. You are no better than those who will bash smash 4 without good reasoning. And even then that is their opinion and you likely will bash them. Really you two arent so different. Switch smash 4 for melee in any case and you said the same thing.
Well I won't say idara aint like how you pointed out. But on equal effect if he has the hater goggles on. rengi's got the opposite.
evidence provided and refutes it is just as childish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Felipefabricio

Smash Rookie
Melee probably will be still used in Tournaments. Brawl, it's difficult.

I was hoping SSB4 can replace Melee in Tournaments, but in the way it's going, I'm seeing it hard to believe =/

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Personally, Melee has been irrelevant for me for a real long time.

As a whole, however, Melee will still be played. No matter what. Same for PM. Afraid to say Brawl will fall out.

I'm moving on to Smash 4 and probably won't look back at all. I may play around with PM considering their updates but if I like the pacing of Smash 4 more than PM, then it's goodbye then. Because most of the characters I care about that are in Brawl and PM are in Smash 4 (sans Lucas, ICs and Wolf :urg:) plus, the past games won't ever get my fair goddess, Lady Palutena.

EDIT: You know, something has been bothering me, so I'm just go say it. I recently went to an event and I had forgotten my SD card with PM so I was playing Brawl with a friend. Essentially, this person gave this disgusted look when we said we were playing Brawl. And from his mouth: "You guys should just join us and play Melee".

And you know, I've heard lots of people doing this as well. Propaganda, essentially and trying to persuade people by dropping Brawl and play Melee. It doesn't help when I even asked if Brawl was going to be at the event, and someone deleted my comment.

This may play a part in whether or not Smash 4 will be hosted at tournaments in the long run. Because there are people essentially influencing others to drop Brawl for Project M but mostly, to try them to convert back or jump into Melee for the first time. This may seem small and it might not entirely determine the end result of how long the Smash 4 competitive scene will last but the more I hear of similar situations, the more I think this tactic will grow. It is inevitable.

Because the Melee community is so big and dominant, this may end up determining the fate of the Smash 4 scene. If people are easily persuaded to play one game over another and completely tune out the latest release, we won't see a flourishing well-kept scene for Smash 4 that would last as long as Melee is currently. It really is sad how things have become. Here in Orlando, it seems like everyone dropped Brawl for Project M and some moved from PM to Melee. And from what I hear often, it is because "No one is playing Brawl." It also doesn't help when events refuse to acknowledge Brawl. It might just happen to Smash 4.

It just started with that ONE person and it mushroomed.

Stop the propaganda. And for those being easily persuaded, have a mind of your own. Play Melee and PM if you genuinely enjoy it. Don't do it because someone told you to or convinced you to "Join Melee." At the end of the day, it is your call.

I just had to throw this out there because I can almost guarantee that someone out here has seen the same thing happened. This isn't an attack on the Melee scene or anything because I know people will make any effort to make this post seem that way. I'm essentially just stating what I saw recently and how I've heard other people speak of similar situations. This divide in the Smash community is really tasteless.

Last edited:

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
Melee will always will have it's strong competitive community. Won't die for a while. Only thing that bugs me is people using melee to compare to smash 4.:facepalm: "smash 4 is bad it doesn't have advanced techniques" or some other nonsense. Don't compare one smash game to another! Each game has its ups and downs. Maybe Brawl wasn't "competitive" but it is the only smash game that has cut scenes. Yes Melee is the most "competitive" right now but that can change!!!!! With smash 4 having For Glory mode, it can become even more competitive than melee. Melee can't be played online so you would have to go to a tournament or having a competitive friend around to play or practice. With smash 4, you can simply go to for glory mode and get paired up quickly without the hassle of finding a tourney near you and traveling there. Is there really a need for wave dashing, l cancel, etc? Who knows, Sakurai could change the landing lag to be smaller and why have l cancel? Nobody would care if it was gone then, right?

Even 64 will still be played. Some people like playing the classics. Project M will still be played IMO.

RIP Brawl: I won't miss tripping though! (Do that enough in real life, already)

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
Brawl is currently my favorite game in the franchise, but I would be an idiot to say it ever had a great competitive scene (balance being the main issue for me). I'm extremely competitive with the game, but I never went to or watched many tournaments because lol Meta Knight. Brawl is nearly gone competitively as-is, and Smash 4 will seal the deal.

I play Melee every once in a while and enjoy watching tournaments, and I strongly believe Melee will be around for a while. Even if I don't like playing it as much as Brawl, it's a fantastic spectator game due to the pace. I think we're likely to see many Melee/Smash 4 tourneys in tandem with one another at first to get it going, and if the community deems it worthy Smash 4 will blossom into its own scene.

I've played a solid amount of the E3 demo and can say that I will likely be moving on to Smash 4 from Brawl, and especially so if the game is balanced and the competitive scene grows and develops properly. I'd like to compete with this iteration. :awesome:

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Why dose everyone assume melee has to accept the game for it to have a strong community. Even if the melee fans dislike it who cares. what dose matter though is that alot of people play it competitively then it will have longevity if they don't get bored. The melee community ain't my cult

Senario

Smash Ace
Why dose everyone assume melee has to accept the game for it to have a strong community. Even if the melee fans dislike it who cares. what dose matter though is that alot of people play it competitively then it will have longevity if they don't get bored. The melee community ain't my cult
It matters because the melee community has the infrastructure to make the game succeed competitively on a large scale. Tell me, do you have a stream setup on twitch or such? Do you have a good amount of viewers? Do you take time to organize tournaments and pay for venue costs then figure out a prize pool, organize and seed the pools/bracket depending on how big the event is? Can you deal with any potential problems with fees, making sure the equipment goes to the right place and is kept track of? Can you find commentators that actually do a good job? ect ect.

Tournament organizing is a lot of effort. And currently the Melee community has become experts in it and has the ability to make it happen. Starting from scratch would be essentially like the beginning of the smash community with cheap off tv videos and random rulesets. And nowadays people don't want to watch off screen videos, they want direct video and good quality. The Smash scene has recently gotten into streaming and they are doing just about as good as the speedrun community with a little less money given to streamers.

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I don't think Project M and Melee are ever going to die off. Can't say the same about Brawl, however. Don't get me wrong, Brawl was pretty epic in its time, but Sm4sh basically looks like Brawl re-done with a spice of Melee, sped up, more stages, new items, improved and with better graphics / more characters and will probably have patches / DLC. I foresee it being left in the dust, especially with online being gone (not that online was really great IMO, given the taunt spammers and disconnections).

Hong

The Strongest
I see nothing wrong with Melee still kicking around. Nintendo should sell it on the eShop, with proper aspect ratio and better compatibility with HD televisions, to cater to the Melee scene. We're a bunch of hungry animals and Nintendo knows we'll eat it up. Just release it a year or two after Smash 4 has come out for maximum profit, to double-dip on the same demographic.

Because believe me, we'll still be around.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
It matters because the melee community has the infrastructure to make the game succeed competitively on a large scale. Tell me, do you have a stream setup on twitch or such? Do you have a good amount of viewers? Do you take time to organize tournaments and pay for venue costs then figure out a prize pool, organize and seed the pools/bracket depending on how big the event is? Can you deal with any potential problems with fees, making sure the equipment goes to the right place and is kept track of? Can you find commentators that actually do a good job? ect ect.

Tournament organizing is a lot of effort. And currently the Melee community has become experts in it and has the ability to make it happen. Starting from scratch would be essentially like the beginning of the smash community with cheap off tv videos and random rulesets. And nowadays people don't want to watch off screen videos, they want direct video and good quality. The Smash scene has recently gotten into streaming and they are doing just about as good as the speedrun community with a little less money given to streamers.
Hey if melee fans can do it im more that sure another group of passionate gamers can two. And i find it kinda upsetting that it has to be melee fans to like the game for it to be a success.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
(Unfortuantley) Melee will be the #1 biggest smash bros community for ever. Or until Sakurai makes a Melee 2.0.

Because freaking casuals are going to rule smash 4 and will never show up to touranments to get together with other players and help widen the community. How unfortunate.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
(Unfortuantley) Melee will be the #1 biggest smash bros community for ever. Or until Sakurai makes a Melee 2.0.

Because freaking casuals are going to rule smash 4 and will never show up to touranments to get together with other players and help widen the community. How unfortunate.
Um casuals gererally rule the latest entry. same with brawl and melee. casuals generally only take part in the now.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Exactly my point.

Um and do most casuals go to tournaments? And the some that do go do they enter the tournaments? If there aren't enough entrants at a tournament do you think the TO is going to want to keep hosting tournaments? Smash 4 will die after a year :/.

Its gonna happen just like brawl. I wont have any tournaments to go to around my area. Hell around my entire state. The only tournaments I see are Melee/Pm tournaments around my state. Once in a blue moon a brawl tournament with like 4-5 entrants if we're lucky. It ****ing sucks because I love being in the brawl community and I wanted to see it thrive but instead I just watch the game die and I KNOW this is going to happen with Smash 4 because I KNOW what the people want. Melee :facepalm:

GLStephen

Smash Cadet
If that's exactly your point, then you're basically arguing that it won't have a competitive scene, because it's new, which is probably the most incorrect thing I've read in my time on Smash Boards. That's an accomplishment.

Every game has more casual players than competitive players initially, even Melee. Hell, there are STILL probably more people that play Melee casually than competitively. That in no way means it won't have a healthy base of competitive players, too.

Last edited:

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
If that's exactly your point, then you're basically arguing that it won't have a competitive scene, because it's new, which is probably the most incorrect thing I've read in my time on Smash Boards. That's an accomplishment.
I never said or implied anywhere in that post the it wont have competitive scene because it's new. OF course its going to have a very active community. For about 1 year mayyyyyyyybe 2. I doubt 2 because people have already learned there lesson with brawl and have learned to just drop the game after trying it and comparing it with what they like.

EDIT: Point I'm making is it will thrive at the beginning, obviously cause its new. People wanna play and try new things. After a while though the competitive community is just going to die.

I'm hoping I'm wrong. I'm trying to have faith that there will be an active community. But you don't what I'm surrounded with. I've asked everyone in the smash community in my area are they going to be active for smash 4. Only two people have told me yes. I'm pretty sure there will be more that start but just leave soon in my area. Then I come here to smashboards and see people with the same opinions.

The voices of the Melee players are sure louder than the people supporting the competitive smash 4 community on here.

Last edited:

GLStephen

Smash Cadet
That was definitely the implication of you saying "Exactly my point," in response to Road Death Wheel's post. Sorry if you didn't mean it that way, but I don't know how else I could be expected to interpret that sentence.

I can't really respond to the baseless precognition parts of your post, so that's what I'm left with.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I see nothing wrong with Melee still kicking around. Nintendo should sell it on the eShop, with proper aspect ratio and better compatibility with HD televisions, to cater to the Melee scene. We're a bunch of hungry animals and Nintendo knows we'll eat it up. Just release it a year or two after Smash 4 has come out for maximum profit, to double-dip on the same demographic.

Because believe me, we'll still be around.
I'd pay $50 for Melee with an online mode at least similar to Smash 4's

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
That was definitely the implication of you saying "Exactly my point," in response to Road Death Wheel's post. Sorry if you didn't mean it that way, but I don't know how else I could be expected to interpret that sentence.

I can't really respond to the baseless precognition parts of your post, so that's what I'm left with.
Its not baselss. I've been an active Brawl player for like 4 years. I've seen how the competitive community for brawl lived and died.

You just probably don't know what I'm talking about because you probably don't even go to tournaments yourself or patronize the community yourself.

GLStephen

Smash Cadet
Its not baselss. I've been an active Brawl player for like 4 years. I've seen how the competitive community for brawl lived and died.

You just probably don't know what I'm talking about because you probably don't even go to tournaments yourself or patronize the community yourself.
k

Senario

Smash Ace
I'd pay $50 for Melee with an online mode at least similar to Smash 4's
I would pay 60$ For an HD rerelease of the NSTC version of Smash Melee. Or even just a virtual console version of it on wii U lol.

I heard the PAL version, while more balanced, runs at 50 fps and that is highly problematic in any fast paced fighting game. 60fps is a standard that is one of the few that must not be broken.

Top Bottom