• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aerial Edgeguarding

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
I always thought of it like this: Zelda doesn't have an air game.

I know, it sounds crazy, but hear me out.

Her specials are not useful in the air in and of themselves: FW is never an aerial attack, only for recovery and landing change-ups. Din's is a projectile, but a) it's too slow to use repeatedly at what I'd call standard "aerial game range", and b) the freefall animation afterwards sucks. You can annoy recovering characters with it, and I actually think this is what Zelda should be doing while waiting for the opponent to come back from that barely DI'd Bair, but you can't just jump into the air and start combating onstage aerial opponents with it. NL is a GTFO move that applies to both characters and projectiles. Not really a good aerial option except for trying to get back on the ground. Transform doesn't count, because while it does give her an excellent aerial game it changes her into a different character to do it. As for aerials...

Her Dair is for situational gimps and NinjaLink, and her Uair, Fair and Bair should only hit once (perhaps twice) per stock. Zelda will be trying to set up into Uair/Fair/Bair from the ground, therefore they are more useful and better utilized when included in her ground game. Nair is the only thing she has somewhat resembling a useful "aerial attack": that is, something that can be used repeatedly and can consistently beat other aerials ala most characters' Bair. (Think about it: how many characters with any aerial game at all don't use their Bair? Answer: Fox) And even in this it falls short; Nair does have nice priority, but Zelda's aerial speed isn't enough to make up for its rather lackluster range. On stages with platforms it can be used well, otherwise her spacing game is so much better Zelda has no reason to close to that distance just to use Nair.

Zelda survives this lack of aerial ability (note: Uair/Fair/Bair all count as ground moves now) because she has the tools to defend against other characters in the air: Usmash beats almost every downward aerial in the game with proper timing and Fsmash beats almost every SH aerial in the game period. The exceptions to these rules (Marth, Ike, Lucario) do well against Zelda because they are these exceptions.

So while it's all well and good to talk about attacking characters while they are recovering, no one can really call it "edgeguarding". Dair kills everything when it hits and almost nothing when it doesn't, and so is less of a way of preventing recovery and more of a direct threat that requires either immense luck or some type of effort towards setting it up. (Yes, ok, sourspot Dair can ruin some characters at high percents in the right position when Zelda has time and I win the lottery and the planets are aligned with NinjaLink's left buttock.) Nair has gimped exactly once in recent recorded memory and perhaps another five times off record.

If we really want to talk about Zelda's options on a recovering character, we need to be thinking of what to do when they get back. Not if. When.

Kat, I know I basically attacked the whole purpose of this thread, but I'm not trying to troll, I honestly think Zelda's onstage options are much more worth discussing than her offstage ones.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I always thought of it like this: Zelda doesn't have an air game.

I know, it sounds crazy, but hear me out.

Her specials are not useful in the air in and of themselves: FW is never an aerial attack, only for recovery and landing change-ups. Din's is a projectile, but a) it's too slow to use repeatedly at what I'd call standard "aerial game range", and b) the freefall animation afterwards sucks. You can annoy recovering characters with it, and I actually think this is what Zelda should be doing while waiting for the opponent to come back from that barely DI'd Bair, but you can't just jump into the air and start combating onstage aerial opponents with it. NL is a GTFO move that applies to both characters and projectiles. Not really a good aerial option except for trying to get back on the ground. Transform doesn't count, because while it does give her an excellent aerial game it changes her into a different character to do it. As for aerials...

Her Dair is for situational gimps and NinjaLink, and her Uair, Fair and Bair should only hit once (perhaps twice) per stock. Zelda will be trying to set up into Uair/Fair/Bair from the ground, therefore they are more useful and better utilized when included in her ground game. Nair is the only thing she has somewhat resembling a useful "aerial attack": that is, something that can be used repeatedly and can consistently beat other aerials ala most characters' Bair. (Think about it: how many characters with any aerial game at all don't use their Bair? Answer: Fox) And even in this it falls short; Nair does have nice priority, but Zelda's aerial speed isn't enough to make up for its rather lackluster range. On stages with platforms it can be used well, otherwise her spacing game is so much better Zelda has no reason to close to that distance just to use Nair.

Zelda survives this lack of aerial ability (note: Uair/Fair/Bair all count as ground moves now) because she has the tools to defend against other characters in the air: Usmash beats almost every downward aerial in the game with proper timing and Fsmash beats almost every SH aerial in the game period. The exceptions to these rules (Marth, Ike, Lucario) do well against Zelda because they are these exceptions.

So while it's all well and good to talk about attacking characters while they are recovering, no one can really call it "edgeguarding". Dair kills everything when it hits and almost nothing when it doesn't, and so is less of a way of preventing recovery and more of a direct threat that requires either immense luck or some type of effort towards setting it up. (Yes, ok, sourspot Dair can ruin some characters at high percents in the right position when Zelda has time and I win the lottery and the planets are aligned with NinjaLink's left buttock.) Nair has gimped exactly once in recent recorded memory and perhaps another five times off record.

If we really want to talk about Zelda's options on a recovering character, we need to be thinking of what to do when they get back. Not if. When.

Kat, I know I basically attacked the whole purpose of this thread, but I'm not trying to troll, I honestly think Zelda's onstage options are much more worth discussing than her offstage ones.
Agreeing with this entire post. It basically sums up everything I was too lazy to get into.

The only thing I sort of disagree with is how much luck you need to land a dair spike. It'll probably only work once per set against another player, but if they have a fairly linear recovery, it's not impossible to land. A lot of people don't expect Zelda to chase them off the stage, so they tend to be a little bold in their recovery.

Also, I generally use fair fairly often during a match (sourspotted and sweetspotted both) while saving bair for the kill since, imo, bair is the better of the two kicks. They're pretty similar, so I figure I might as well get some use out of one of them outside of just killing. That's not related to edgeguarding, though.....

P.S. MrEh, your sig freakin' hypnotizes me every time I see it..... :dizzy:

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Hey that's totally fine! And your post really was on point!

Her aerial game doesn't really damage rack in the slightest, I just see all those moves as killers.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I think onstage her n-air can be affective. Very few characters (some of the high tier characters have this problem) cannot really defend themselves from attacks coming in at an angle. N-air lets you control Zelda's fall pretty well and the added range of her extended arms makes it good for approach. Furthermore, the weak hits can be cancelled by a landing, letting you follow it up with close range moves like d-tilt, f-tilt, u-tilt, Smash attacks and possibly (haven't tested this yet) b-air or f-air.

Offstage her moves are for killing. If you can spot opportunities or bait airdodges with quick Dins, her aerials are super punishers. Snake, for example, practically hangs himself on a wire waiting for you to f-air his crotch. He has the same pose in his airdodges which make them quite easy to punish at close range.

I get what you're saying, Pie, and agree, but there will undoubtedly be circumstances where both you and your enemy is offstage, regardless of who has the upper hand in that situation. This thread is for discussing what to do when you are put in an uncomfortable position, not how to purposefully put yourself there.

Basically, as Pie suggests, Zelda works by ****** you onstage and once you're off the edge... Fatality! Then returning back to the stage.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
If you watch some videos, you see Zeldas baiting airdodges back onto the stage and going for the kill with her aerials.

Her aerials are probably the best punishers in the game. They may not be the best overall, but they're definitely great for punishment. Many characters rely on a smash attack to punish for the best effect, while Zelda can pick anything she wants and get quite a bit of damage out of it or a flat out kill.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
How do you guys feel about SHFF U-air?

I've only really successfully done it on a sandbag and when noobs are doing a jump recovery, but I never really got the opportunity to do it to good players.

Obviously it's quiteeasily punishable and t he hitbox is small (considering the enemy is below you and to the side.) but I see some potential in it.

Iirc I've seen Ninjalink do this while falling off the Battlefield Platforms.

Basically U-air is one of the stongest kills Zelda has, and U-airs are very unexpected grounded attacks. I have NEVER thought a Zelda would come at me with a U-air. This may be because it sucks or may be because it hasn't been explored.

So... Discuss?

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
How do you guys feel about SHFF U-air?
I LOVE it! You can also whiff the start and it immediately autocancels - so you hear her battle cry or whatever noise she makes, the opponent thinks she's just attacked and hides in their shield / spotdodge, and then you're in a position to read and punish from there :chuckle:

But... it's always risky =( I normally do SHFF near the ledge if they're hanging and decide to jump. Sometimes you can predict they'll jump over you from Fsmash and Fthrow and you can read and punish with uair.

But I always think the best set up for a uair is from dash attack, usmash or uthrow, because the trajectories send almost completely vertically, so you can read and punish from there I guess. Harder in practise however.

EDIT:: and never forget the power of the coins with emphasis

MrEh

Smash Hero
Short hop Uair on Bowser.

He's the only character tall and fat enough where that actually works. lol

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
Does it work on DK?
It's reeeeeeealy close, but it does. Have to be close to perfect.

I do like autocanceling Uair into Utilt - catches a lot of people off guard when they see you start Uair and try to beat you to it and get Utilted. You can condition them a bit by actually attempting Uair low to the ground a few times, so they assume Uair range and retreat into Utilt range. Works well on BF where you can actually attempt Uair lol.

But to stay on topic with edgeguarding...

Uair as an edgeguard is kinda like Dair, only more situational. You have to have someone with a predictable horizontal recovery that Dair has trouble with, otherwise Dair is a lot safer. For example, runoff Uair works well on recovering Fox/Falco, but not DK (he's too big and slow, tough to get under him in time) whereas with Dair the reverse is true.
Also worth noting is the fact that in edgeguarding situations the top of the screen is usually the least accessible for killing after the reverse side, so unless they're at suitable percent it's a bit counterproductive as an edgeguard.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I've been thinking...

When you use NL at the edge they have no choice (well, no logical choice) but to jump back onto the stage, usually in fear of a spike. Jump to bait the airdodge that will likely happen anway, then FF the uair and it will connect. I have never done edge NL > Usmash that didn't connect. almost every character bar multiplejumpers jump the EXACT distance from an NL to Usmash hitbox range.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I think it's a beautiful punisher. Just approaching someone in the air almost always baits an airdodge. When that airdodge happens, jump and u-air. It takes a while before you can airdodge again which is more than enough to for a uair to connect.

Edit:

Fack I totally forgot I posted already. Browser didn't refresh page. Sorry for doublepost.

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking...

When you use NL at the edge they have no choice (well, no logical choice) but to jump back onto the stage, usually in fear of a spike.
Is that standing on the edge or hovering in front of it? 'Cuz if I were NL'd from on the stage I'd probably attempt to airdodge through you, not above you. And unless I'm a heavy I'll probably make it. Also they could simply go for the edge (which could be edgehogged, of course, but it's still an option). Hovering in front is interesting though, sort of a runoff NL, if the invincy frames were timed right, could throw off people expecting to latch on to the ledge/stagespike you for daring (lol) to try to edgeguard.

... And now that I think about it, could it be B-reversed to stagespike them as Zelda falls? ... Gonna try this tomorrow ^ ^ lol mid-post ideas FTW

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I'm talking about just standing at the edge of the stage, facing away from the stage. Whatever works though. I find B reversal ledgehop to b-air sweetspot kills easily.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
... And now that I think about it, could it be B-reversed to stagespike them as Zelda falls? ... Gonna try this tomorrow ^ ^ lol mid-post ideas FTW
In my experience NL stage spike can rarely be used against enemies recovering correctly. It´s either very hard to hit with or doesn´t have enough knockback for a good stage spike. Of course it can still be done, just not often. I have also managed to use it as a setup for aerials every now and then..

Top Bottom