• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced techniques changed

Soyl

Smash Cadet
I didn't see any summaries of the advanced techniques for Brawl, so let's see..

L-Canceling : Out
WaveDash : Out
Crouch Canceling : Less effective
Dash Dancing : Made useless
Double Jump Canceling : Out
Item grabbing/catching : Made easier
Shffls : Less Useful due to higher short hops and DI
Edge Grab : Easier
Pivot : Changed and not fully unserstood yet
Land Canceling B moves : Out

Turn around neutral B : In (According to someone who tried)

Am I missing anything?

Soyl

Smash Cadet
Well, mind games will be more pronounced since you wont be able to confuse your opponent easily with wavedashing or dash dancing.

But seriously, has any one tried "Turn around neutral B" in the air?? I'd really like to know if it's still in.

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
how long did it take us to learn how to wave shine? 2 years? maybe more?

brawl is not going to be instantly as deep as melee. it will take time and effort to find new tricks. dont assume that because the melee tricks are gone, that brawl doesnt have any of its own.

Magus420

Smash Master
At least some neutral-b moves can be reversed like Fox's laser and Falcon Punch. Seems like you turn around after the moves have begun. Don't know if it's move specific or can be done with all of them though.

Soyl

Smash Cadet
At least some neutral-b moves can be reversed like Fox's laser and Falcon Punch. Seems like you turn around after the moves have begun. Don't know if it's move specific or can be done with all of them though.
Oh, has anyone tried doing it the melee way? press a direction,let go and then press b right after?

So fox will be able to turn around laser, but mario wont be able to turn around his fireballs?

Hitzel

Smash Ace
brawl is not going to be instantly as deep as melee. it will take time and effort to find new tricks. dont assume that because the melee tricks are gone, that brawl doesnt have any of its own.
You could say that about Brawl no matter what it is... so statements like that really are meaningless.

Look at Halo 3. Bungie wanted it to have no depth, and it doesn't. The same thing could happen to Brawl.

Magus420

Smash Master
Oh, has anyone tried doing it the melee way? press a direction,let go and then press b right after?

So fox will be able to turn around laser, but mario wont be able to turn around his fireballs?
I have no idea. Those are just the 2 moves that I have seen them done on video. It's quite possible that most if not all can be reversed. Also, that may still very well be the motion, only that instead of instantly turning around the moves have a turn around animation to them as they startup.

Soyl

Smash Cadet
I have no idea. Those are just the 2 moves that I have seen them done on video. It's quite possible that most if not all can be reversed.

I hope so, I want to be able to reverse Pit's arrows.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
You could say that about Brawl no matter what it is... so statements like that really are meaningless.

Look at Halo 3. Bungie wanted it to have no depth, and it doesn't. The same thing could happen to Brawl.
That is so true..hopefully Brawl won't end up like H3 though.

Blatherskite

Smash Apprentice
how long did it take us to learn how to wave shine? 2 years? maybe more?

Waveshine didn't make Melee competitive, L-cancelling did. Melee without l-cancelling is a joke, unless you play Marth/Sheik.

Soyl

Smash Cadet
And? Both players just seemed to be flailing around hoping they hit something. It still looked fun though.

I guess skills arent transfererable, I saw lots of flaws in their play. Theyll eventually get better.

That stage was awesome.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
i hate kids like you

the reason i play is to be competitive. i only enjoy 1v1s with no items. i don't enjoy items. i don't enjoy free for alls.

stop telling people how to play.
elitists are as bad or worse than ignorant casuals. You shouldn't hate someone for pointing out what drama queens everyone is being because we got a new game and not a melée patch.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Yes Melee technique for turn around nuetral B's still works the same.

For those above that said its out - no, its definitely not out. I went into Training mode and tried all the techniques I could, and it is most certainly still there. In fact I got a kill in VS using a turn-around Falcon Punch.

Soyl

Smash Cadet
Turn around neutral B is out.

Yes Melee technique for turn around nuetral B's still works the same.

For those above that said its out - no, its definitely not out. I went into Training mode and tried all the techniques I could, and it is most certainly still there. In fact I got a kill in VS using a turn-around Falcon Punch.
...urh, good.

Whos lying?

D.Q

Smash Apprentice
i hate kids like you

the reason i play is to be competitive. i only enjoy 1v1s with no items. i don't enjoy items. i don't enjoy free for alls.

stop telling people how to play.
and you should stfu because no one cares about what you like
seriously, NO ONE HAS EVER FOUND ADVANCED TECHNIQUES 3 DAYS AFTER A GAME'S BEEN RELEASED

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
elitists are as bad or worse than ignorant casuals. You shouldn't hate someone for pointing out what drama queens everyone is being because we got a new game and not a melée patch.
Quoted for truth.

Read it again, everybody.

Partially, I don't really care about the advanced techs not being discovered yet. They will be, so just quit your worryin' or I'll put marth's final smash up yo' a$$.

Brenco55

Smash Cadet
Weve had melee for six years and tried just about every button combination. the brawl physics engine is very similar to melee. these imaginary AT's you think we'll find aren't there. i think we have another halo 3 on our hands and at least with bhalo 3 you can still improve by getting constant headshots brawl has nothing :(! and if anybody says "we still have mindgames" i will come to their house and rip their face off

Twilight Emblem

Banned via Warnings
Indeed. I'm sure new techniques will be discovered, this is a new game, and i'm going to try my best to adapt to the new style of play and have a good time with it.

Although...
*kicks random tripping theories in the nuts in blind ignorant fear of not wanting them to be true*

Santini

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry fellow competive players, we'll find new techniques.

And even if we don't, the game will just be based more on prediction and smart playing. So what? That'll be fine.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
QFT!

Melee patch. I really like that analogy.

New game guys. Deal with it. Dont be 16 year old cry babies who boycott a game for the most ridiculous reasons(my heart goes out to dylan and party). your testacles are still developing. 2 years from now you will look back and say "jeez, how childish i was being...boycott??".

the more mature crowd maybe a lil disappointed but yea...new game, new things to learn. game looks simplified. I predict in soon time, there wont be anything simple about it anymore. a fresh new metagame will be advanced. period.

Don Tyrant

Smash Cadet
I didn't see any summaries of the advanced techniques for Brawl, so let's see..

L-Canceling : Out
WaveDash : Out
Crouch Canceling : Less effective
Dash Dancing : Made useless
Double Jump Canceling : Out
Item grabbing/catching : Made easier
Shffls : Less Useful due to higher short hops and DI
Edge Grab : Easier
Pivot : Changed and not fully unserstood yet
Land Canceling B moves : Out

Turn around neutral B : In (According to someone who tried)

Am I missing anything?
0% to death combos- def. out

hunger!

Smash Champion
QFT!

Melee patch. I really like that analogy.

New game guys. Deal with it. Dont be 16 year old cry babies who boycott a game for the most ridiculous reasons(my heart goes out to dylan and party). your testacles are still developing. 2 years from now you will look back and say "jeez, how childish i was being...boycott??".

the more mature crowd maybe a lil disappointed but yea...new game, new things to learn. game looks simplified. I predict in soon time, there wont be anything simple about it anymore. a fresh new metagame will be advanced. period.
sry pal but you need to calm down a bit

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I don't get it. You guys are crying because L-cancelling is gone, but at the same time the lag of most aerial moves is down. It seems to me like you want to HAVE to press the same button after every single attack you make. The fact is most of Melees depth didn't come from L-Cancelling. it came from Options. The characters with the most options were better. The way I see it right now every character has 4 specials, 1 jab, 4 tilts, 5 aerials, 3 smashes, jumps, shielding, 4 throws, 2 different ways to grab, a boatload of different approaches, and whatever the stage happens to give them. This is depth. I haven't seen shield grabbing dominate the game. I haven't seen camping win. Fact is Brawl is really balanced, if a bit slower. STOP COMPLAINING and start having a positive outlook on life.

I have played several tabletop games. This kind of thing is said every time a new set comes out. Oh noes they changed the game I'm quiting. Once the set is released it's wow this set is fun. Stop crying because you didn't get exactly what you wanted and start having some faith in the game and designers. Not that anybody will listen because they really don't care what anybody that disagrees with them says, but I feel better for having said something.

S2

Smash Lord
Remember that when Melee came out we didn't know anything about wavedashing and most of the other advanced techs (unless you were in the small few who knew about L-canceling and such from the 1st game).

They weren't found out for a good while, so no one should expect Brawl to have the same depth anytime soon. We'll figure stuff out.

Top Bottom