• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced Guide

iRJi

Smash Champion
Marth

AS usage: Low
Type of play style: Passive. A lot of baiting.

Character Analysis:

Marth is one tough character for Lucario to fight. This can easily go into one of Lucarios top 5 hardest MUs to deal with. His superior range and speed makes it hard to keep up, and not to mention while we are off stage he is even more threatening. While this is difficult, this MU is completely doable.

The first thing to state is that after recent testing, it is incredibly hard to actually get past fair walls while they are on the retreat and zone. AS gets cut until a very late percent from fairs, and because of his high air mobility you can’t do a roll in after a jumping fair to punish, unless he decides to move forward with the attack. Attacking him head on is mainly suicide, and you need to learn how to weave between his attacks in order to properly deal damage to him.

How to win:

Your strategy against Marth is to Zone. Dodging and shielding too much with hurt you more than help you, and you want to be able to move around while still having all your options available. Avoid dodging unnecessarily and stay outside of his range until he swings. When he swings, you must move quickly to punish, or risk getting hit. Avoid trying to punish a falling Fair, as it is really safe against Lucario, and try to get in on a rising fair, since you have a chance to actually get below him to a degree.

Marths weakspot is below him. Staying under this character might be hard, but if you can pull it off it will be very rewarding. Another thing to note is that Marth is a “Hit or Miss” character, meaning that if he misses you he has a decent amount of time to get hit, and since he is a single swing character with no multi hitboxes outside of his Nair, it makes it easier to get in between his moves.

Edge Guarding:

Off stage, Marth is not as scary as it may seem. He is going to try to avoid dodging and hitting you away so he can safely recover. Also keep in mind that if Marth is not close enough to the stage to return without going for the ledge, then it is curial that you edge hog him, since this will lead to him missing the edge and going on the stage with over a lot of landing lag. If Marth happens to reach the ledge, do not panic. His ledge options are actually not that strong. Marth players will 80% of the time not ledge attack, since it is a horrid option. His safest option is first to stand, and next to ledge jump. These are the options you want to cover most.

If you are the one returning to the stage, your best bet is to first dodge if he actually tries to attack you, and throw in mix-ups so he does not start to bair you into actually dodging all the time. You don’t want to pressure Marth to moving closer to you, since if he hits you further off he will gain a lot of potential to do massive damage to you. If you can recover without going to the ledge, do so. However, heading for the ledge is also a great option.

How to DI and SDI:

In order to maximize your life as lucario, you must understand how to properly DI and SDI out of moves.

Fair:

Low percent: Up and away
High Percent: Di to corner of screen

Nair:

Low Percent: Up and Away
High Percent: DI to corner of screen

Bair:

Low percent: Up and away
High Percent: Di to corner of screen

Dancing Blade:

SDI: Up and out (You can punish with Ftilt if you get out)

Down Smash: Top Corner of Screen

Usmash: Top Corner of Screen

Shield breaker: Top Corner of Screen

Toon Link

AS usage: Average
Type of play style: Aggressive

Character Analysis:

Toon link is one hell of an annoying character. He has above average aerial mobility, with projectiles that can cast the US military in peril. I don’t even understand how he keeps everything on him @_@. However, despite that, he is annoying to beat. I would like to start with the basics of this character, and break him down from there.

Toon link is what we call a linear character. Before we go on, I need to describe what Linear characters are.

A linear character is a character that for majority of his moveset only hits on a vertical and horizontal axis. Characters that are linear tend to have a weakspot that are diagonal of the character. Examples of linear characters, but are not limited to are: Olimar, Lucario, Toonlink, etc.

This applies to Toon link. Just to inform everyone here, outside of his boomerang, Toon link has a hard time guarding his diagonal regions. Lucario as a character alone has tools to abuse this attribute greatly.

The first step to beating toon link is to learn how to deal with his projectiles, and Zair. First off, learn how to deal with bombs. Shielding bombs are not really the greatest thing to do, since they bounce up and land in front of you. If you can learn how to either just avoid them completely, or grab them while they are being thrown at you. If you learn how to grab them, this will greatly dent toon links game since he relies on bombs to cover space and to set up traps.

Boomerang is an annoying projectile that will come back after thrown, hence why it’s called a boomerang. This normally is not that much of an issue to deal with, unless you are between the boomerang and toon link while it is on the retreat. Boomerang forces shield, which for toon link enables him to continue shield pressure, or links to his horrid tether grab. If you are caught between him and the boomerang, the best bet is to avoid it all together.

Arrows are the least bothersome to deal with, they can be perfect shielded away, and avoided easily. The arrows purpose is just for basic shield pressure, but mainly it is to get characters to jump, which in our case is not a bad thing.
Zair is Toon Links tether in the air. This little attack is so annoying to punish, but it is possible. Normally if you see a toon link Short hop into air dodge, that is a setup for a Zair. The Air dodge part is punishable, and I will let you take how to punish that on your own. Zair is just a tool to keep you at a certain distance.

How to go about winning:

Your main strategy in this MU is to keep really close to toon link. Toon Links inside game is very bad, due to his range and below average ground game. Luckly for us, we have a strong good midrange game and a solid close range game. The objective is to try to keep within his forward diagonal regions as that is where he is the most open. If he is bomb camping, try to catch the bombs instead of avoiding them if possible. Like I said earlier, this dents his game by a lot, and disables him to effectively run away.
For AS usage, It would be more prosperous if you keep a fully charged one instead of using BAS a lot. The reason being is if you get a read on when he is going to shoot an arrow, or when he is going to throw his boomerang, you can use AS to trade with them, thus granting you about a 15% advantage. This read is actually a lot easier to make then what it may appear as, and it is very advantageous for rewards and kills.

Edge Guarding:

Toon link has high mobility, which makes it a lot easier for him to retreat back to the stage when he is tossed off. However, Toon link is very easy to knock back out, and because of this toon link may use more defensive options when retreating. The goal is to be patient while he is retreating, trying to stay out of a zone where he can’t hit you, thus baiting him to use a defensive option. Get him as low as possible without him retreating back to the map. While this is common for standard edge guarding to do, you need to have a good grasp of how to properly do it against toon link or you will have a very hard time keeping him from hovering above the stage tossing items at you.. If you can do this, he will be forced to Up-B back to the stage. This creates a free dair opening or a free AS opening if you decide to edge hog him.

How to DI

In order to maximize your life as lucario, you must understand how to properly DI and SDI out of moves. For Toon link, You have your basics:

Usmash: DI left or right.

Fsmash: This move isn’t that reliable on Lucario.
After the first hit, you can SDI the hitstun toward TL, thus having his 2nd hit miss. Also, If you happen to do this, jump first to be safe so he can’t properly follow up if he decides to stop his Fsmash to use a different move. If you get hit with the full move DI to the corner of the screen that you are being sent to.

Dsmash: If you SDI to the 2nd hit toward Toon link after getting hit by the first one, you can evade the 2nd hit. It takes practice to do however. If you get hit by the full down smash DI to the far side of the screen that the 2nd swing is facing.

Up-B Grounded: SDI to the floor, and hold shield. You also get a free punish off of this.

UAir: DI to the left or right.

Fair/Bair: SDI or DI normally away from toon link to avoid possible additional links. If you are getting hit at a high percent, DI to the corner of the screen that you are being sent to.

More to come/ Addition editing for more information and grammer later.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
iRJi, please let me know specifically in which areas I can help with this (or how others can help too!).

And could you at least tell us what you specifically plan on putting in this guide?

iRJi

Smash Champion
iRJi, please let me know specifically in which areas I can help with this (or how others can help too!).

And could you at least tell us what you specifically plan on putting in this guide?
None, actually. This is a solo project that will be completed by me. I actually did not know Pierce is doing one too. This is just an idea I had for a while for Lucario, and I am acting on it now because it will benefit me later. The only help I would need is if I need advice for something, but outside of that I will not need that much. I am also not saying what is going to be in the guide because if I did it wouldn't be fun what's so ever lol. All of you guys would just have to wait and see.

C-C-COMBO BREAKER.

Why post this now, rather than when the it's done?
Same reasons as above really. It takes the fun out of it. I personally feel like it could taunt some players in a say. It keeps people in a suspense, and therefore leads for something to look forward to. I will not back out of this project, as much as I feel the Lucario community does not deserve it yet.

Browny

Smash Hater
Im also pretty sure placeholder posts with nothing before them is against the SWF rules.

IDK what youre getting at with this whole 'I have tons of info but you guys dont deserve it' attitude and what it is supposed to prove but I'm sure not impressed.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Im also pretty sure placeholder posts with nothing before them is against the SWF rules.

IDK what youre getting at with this whole 'I have tons of info but you guys dont deserve it' attitude and what it is supposed to prove but I'm sure not impressed.
If it's against SWF rules ill get infracted, and just deal with it. As for impressing anyone, I am not trying to lol. I was always told I was never an impressive person, so I wouldn't start now. I am not really proving anything, actually lol. Reguardless, like I said, I am working on it, despite the fact that I feel a lot of players here don't really deserve it. So what I mean by that is, I feel that you guys are lazy. This is not new information. I don't really want to come off like an *** as well, so if you guys are taking this to heart, try not to. I really do say all of these things with a smile on my face, and I don't hold any grudges against any of you personally, which is why I AM doing this. Since this might cause more posts like this, I am just going to tell you guys the general basis of this.

The guide is to put down in writing all of advance play. Things about Lucario you know, and things you might not know. This guide will also touch every character in the game, their personal weaknesses, and also how you can go about using lucario to stop them. Think of it as, an advance MU guide if you will. Like I said, this is strictly from my personal experience, and it greatly helps me if it is in writing just for me. While i was thinking that, I decided to share it wit the rest of you while I write this up. This for the most part is nothing new, but it is for the most part something we possibly have not touched.

I also share it here because I greatly value your opinions, while I never really say anything about that. The spark of me doing this is the fact that a lot of the Lucario players just recently placed 8th or better for a tournament. This is a good accomplishment if you ask me, that all of our members are doing a lot better, with me included. While I still have a metaknight issue, (and it is getting resolved fast) I personally feel I do not struggle against other characters as much. It is just unfortunate that my region is the most populated metaknight area in the US (NJ) and because of that I tend to stick near the 16th place marker and sometimes advance a spot further from time to time. My goal is just to share what I learned from MU's, and put it here for everyone to see. I might not make this public for long, for reasons I am sure you all might understand. I will however, will try to make it public just for the Lucario boards to see somehow.

Saltix

Smash Lord
like i said in another thread, don't post this stuff publicly
secretly distribute it!

iRJi

Smash Champion
like i said in another thread, don't post this stuff publicly
secretly distribute it!
Lol, I know I know xD. It is good information regardless though. I will find a way to put it privately after I finish it. I will have a section of it done by tonight hopefully. It is so hot that it makes it hard to be in my room for an extended amount of time xD.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
This is looking good so far.

Just a couple suggestions/nitpicks/additional things to know about this MU:
Be weary of bomb trajectory, you can use your shield to sometimes bounce bombs back at him, just be weary if TL catches the bomb and throws it back at you.
You can Up Smash a dropped bomb it will explode without damaging you if spaced right. I would not recommend counting on this.
Watch out for thrown bombs when TL is at the ledge. Again you may when to return them to sender.
If you want to get fancy you can catch the bombs and throw them back or use a glidetoss to space (just don't glidetoss into him at close range or you'll both explode lol).
His USmash should not kill us until around Snake's UTilt does and it'll be pretty obvious he will try to kill you at that point, so be weary.
Nitpick: RJ, would you mind putting this through Word or something? Some words like "linear" are not spelled correctly.

I'd recommend banning Halberd and if he takes you to Delfino just stay out of the water.

Oh and for your convenience, iRJi, Aura Sphere priority stuff.

John12346 said:
0% beats Toon Link's uncharged Arrows (13).
104% beats Toon Link's fully charged Arrows (21).
58% beats Toon Link's Boomerang (17).
ruined said:
Toon link:
dsmah, first hit:49(16)
dtilt:68(18)
ftilt:68(18)
utilt:68(18)
fsmash, first hit:79(19)
bair:79(19)
dsmash, second hit:91(20)
fair:117(22)
fsmahs, second hit:117(22)
usmash:142(24)
dair:155(25)

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
lol this reminds me of my playstyle/unofficial MU guide, only updated.
I remember that as the first thread in the lucy boards i ever read lol.

btw his "i know a lot of info but you guys dont deserve it" stuff stems from.. oh well you know.
That said though, not all of us are like that RJ. there just aren't enough people who are willing to talk about brawl-related stuff to keep said stuff alive. if this will not be public, yet somehow be available to the whole lucario boards, it will require a new group. and you know how un-organized those can get >_>

iRJi

Smash Champion
I remember that as the first thread in the lucy boards i ever read lol.

btw his "i know a lot of info but you guys dont deserve it" stuff stems from.. oh well you know.
That said though, not all of us are like that RJ. there just aren't enough people who are willing to talk about brawl-related stuff to keep said stuff alive. if this will not be public, yet somehow be available to the whole lucario boards, it will require a new group. and you know how un-organized those can get >_>
That's not the issue atm. The new modifications they did to the groups is whats making it very hard for any private showing to happen. IDK how am I going to go about this, but I will find a way. As for the line you quoted from me, that is personal preference. You know it better then 1/2 the people here that if I feel majority of the people are lazy, then I am going to join that ban wagon. However, the other 1/2 of your post stands out, which is why I am actually doing this. It is because there is another side of people who actually DO help. It is impossible to separate the group of people, so for the most part i clump everyone together. It's not like Phil is lazy, yet I clump him into the group as well. (No offense phil, you understand) Any who, I will have another section of this up hopefully by Saturday. =]

iRJi

Smash Champion
This will be updated tomorrow evening with a Marth Section.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Fighting Marth is silly. They love their short hop FAirs... Yet, if you knock them out of it sometimes you just knock them out of their style and get a good chunk of damage off of them.

Also, is it me or do we have more ATs than Marth does?

As per usual here is the AS priority data to beat Marf's moves (per Ruined's data).
Marth:
ftilt, non-tipped:68(18)
nair, non-tipped:68(18)
dtilt, non-tipped:68(18)
utilt, non-tipped:68(18)
dtilt, tipped:79(19)
fair, non-tipped:91(20)
ftilt, tipped:104(21)
fair, tipped:117(22)
fsmash, non-tipped:129(23)
fsmash, tipped:never

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
You could just post this on AIB no serious player would ever read it there.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Are you sure you DI it up and away?

I'm having more success SDIing it just plain away :x

is there a requirement? like you have to SDI the 1st one up and away?

iRJi

Smash Champion
Are you sure you DI it up and away?

I'm having more success SDIing it just plain away :x

is there a requirement? like you have to SDI the 1st one up and away?
Nope. The reason why you do it up and away is because it grants you to be a bit closer to marth after you get out of it, this creating a better chance to punish him instead of just resetting the situation. Also, if you get out by the 3rd hit, and you know he is going to swing the 4th, ,you can punish with AS instead, although this opportunity comes rare lol. You can just DI out though, there is nothing wrong with doing so.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
in that case why not DI away and towards the ground?

You'll have be on the ground faster and thus be able to ftilt faster :>

or maybe I'm not getting something.

thanks for clarifying though.

iRJi

Smash Champion
in that case why not DI away and towards the ground?

You'll have be on the ground faster and thus be able to ftilt faster :>

or maybe I'm not getting something.

thanks for clarifying though.
If you DI to the floor it won't work. There is no character who can successfully DI it to the floor. This only resembles the DI to just away, but now it adds a risk of you actually getting hit near the end. Marths hit box from Dancing blade disables characters from getting that low if don properly.

And your welcome

Top Bottom