• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Additional Character and Stage Slots Have Been Discovered

In April 2015, Shiny Quaqsire originally shook the fanbase when discovered, at that time, unused audio files for Ryu, Roy and Lucas as well as stage music for Dreamland 64. Shortly after making the audio discoveries, Shiny Quaqsire found unused database entries for both characters and stages in the 3DS version.

With the 1.1.1 update, the number of unused character and stage “slots” has been increased. As of writing, there are three unused character slots, and three unused stage slots. There is some speculation that one of the stage slots may have been intended for a port of the recently released Pirate Ship stage, but those reports are not confirmed at this time.

All the entries to the character and stage databases have placeholder names. Furthermore, there is nothing in the data which indicates what these “slots” might be intended for, if anything at all. For additional, technical information on the discoveries, please refer to Wolfman_J’s article on Source Gaming.

Any ideas on what might end up in these slots? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for any updates on datamining efforts!

PushDustIn is excited to see who will be added to the roster. Tweet your predictions to him on Twitter!

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

Already known around here if the character discussion threads are anything to go by, hehe...

But still, interesting to be informed here on the main site.

Let's wait and see for who/what are those spots for...

This leak might be worth keeping an eye on. It was posted prior to Pirate Ship being confirmed as well as before the 3rd additional character slot was found. Ignore the Shovel Knight part at the bottom as it had nothing to do with the leak and was just added to the image by whoever screencapped the original leak.

http://i.imgur.com/ryat6gw.jpg

Would love for this to be true. It's perfect.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Wolf is a guaranteed at this point. IIRC he was the 2nd most requested character in Japan (Losing only to :4lucas:, which is DLC) and Nintendo listens to Japan the most, so...

Plot twist: Goku gets in.

Well well well, what do we have here?

I have may own favorites, but I think regardless at least one is a veteran and one should be a newcomer. I'm thinking Wolf is very likely to return, maybe Snake but I doubt it. Of the newcomers I don't really know who could make it, I still think Rayman has an outside chance, but then again I'm the one person on SmashBoards who continuously barracks for Commander Keen to no end.

Last edited:
I can see both Shovel Knight and Shantae...But I feel like Japan may have a large influence on those two since I don't think Shovel Knight is in Japanese yet, and I don't think Shantae is very popular in Japan?
Honestly it's anyone's take right now.

I can see both Shovel Knight and Shantae...But I feel like Japan may have a large influence on those two since I don't think Shovel Knight is in Japanese yet, and I don't think Shantae is very popular in Japan?
Honestly it's anyone's take right now.
Eh, Little Mac wasn't (and still isn't) either from what I recall so..

Yeah, I'm aware those 2 are different to him due to not being 1st party but in this case I don't think that matters tbh.

Eh, Little Mac wasn't (and still isn't) either from what I recall so..

Yeah, I'm aware those 2 are different to him due to not being 1st party but in this case I don't think that matters tbh.
I get your point, but keep in mind this is ballot-based and as Sakurai said, there will not be any more characters put in on his own accord, rather, characters from the ballot will be considered and attempted.

I get your point, but keep in mind this is ballot-based and as Sakurai said, there will not be any more characters put in on his own accord, rather, characters from the ballot will be considered and attempted.
Very true but he still has the final say. This wasn't an election after all, it was a suggestion "box" for this Smash and Smash Brothers to come.

Him considering either one of those 2 depends not only on the amount of people who showed support for Shovel Knight and Shantae but his own views on them.

Can someone explain to me why people want the semi clone wolf back in? Instead of a brand new character with a totally unique move set. I actually don't understand it

Can someone explain to me why people want the semi clone wolf back in? Instead of a brand new character with a totally unique move set. I actually don't understand it
In my case I prefer him over Falco and Fox. Better movement and looks cooler

i already know the characters. its gonna be geno, ridley, and chrom, u know , the most REQUESTED charcters in the game. its the obvios choice

I don't know anything about making games so correct me if I'm wrong (which I most likely am) but the three new slots begin with afig rather than ccshop like the other dlcs. Could they be different in some way? Perhaps afig is short for amiibo figure?

I don't know anything about making games so correct me if I'm wrong (which I most likely am) but the three new slots begin with afig rather than ccshop like the other dlcs. Could they be different in some way? Perhaps afig is short for amiibo figure?
All of them starts with "a" apparently, so that removes the "amiibo" from "amiibo figure".... plus, remember, it is just a placeholder at the moment.

My wish used three spots for the fighter ballot are :
1) Rayman (Rayman series)
2) Wolf (Star Fox) : my most requested veteran
3) King K. Rool (from Donkey Kong)
Rayman, it's very unlikely, but I really hope he makes it in. I do think that Wolf and King K. Rool do have enough results of the fans to be in one of the three slots available.

A semi-clone is easier to program for the team. So production costs stay down and they can sell the new DLC characters for the same price as an original character. However, the characters we've had so far actually have data from other games. So they had guidelines and didn't have to build a character totally from scratch. As such, I'm expecting to see a lot of veterans or characters who exist in other fighting games.

However, a semi-clone isn't too bad. I absolutely loathe Ness and Lucas as characters, but they are both different enough even through their playstyle. The only part of their kit that remains the same are their specials, and even they function differently. I also hate Fox, Falco, and Wolf too... And even so, I'm all for "clones" like Wolf if they differentiate his play style enough. Which the developmental team seems good enough at already (as seen with Roy and Lucas).

Last edited:
A semi-clone is easier to program for the team. So production costs stay down and they can sell the new DLC characters for the same price as an original character. However, the characters we've had so far actually have data from other games. So they had guidelines and didn't have to build a character totally from scratch. As such, I'm expecting to see a lot of veterans or characters who exist in other fighting games.

However, a semi-clone isn't too bad. I absolutely loathe Ness and Lucas as characters, but they are both different enough even through their playstyle. The only part of their kit that remains the same are their specials, and even they function differently. I also hate Fox, Falco, and Wolf too... And even so, I'm all for "clones" like Wolf if they differentiate his play style enough. Which the developmental team seems good enough at already (as seen with Roy and Lucas).
Wolf was already different enough at Brawl.... he is probably the most original clone in the history of Smash Brothers.

Very true but he still has the final say. This wasn't an election after all, it was a suggestion "box" for this Smash and Smash Brothers to come.

Him considering either one of those 2 depends not only on the amount of people who showed support for Shovel Knight and Shantae but his own views on them.
Agreed. c:
As I said, "considered then attempted" which would mean if the character was agreed with, then yes, they would be attempted.

I would love for Wolf to get the Roy treatment, with new animations and what-not. I honestly hope K Rool isn't in, because he isn't really that cool of a character to me, but that's just my opinion. Any other characters I want, like Amaterasu Ôkami, or Bayonetta, just aren't likely to happen at all....haha. It would be cool, though. Maybe another Namco character, since they co-developed the game and all. I dunno who, since Lloyd Irving got a prett cool costume already, and we don't really need another european swordsman like Yuri Lowell or anything. Name some cool Namco characters that could be in, fellow Smashers!

So you think that just because the circumstances of Wolf's inclusion in Brawl are similar to Lucas (though Wolf is not a semi-clone anyway), he will concretely be in Smash 4 because Lucas is?

Sorry, but that just is poor logic. I'm not even going to argue because anyone else will see the problem with this anyway. Wolf will likely be in the game, but he still doesn't have evidence to suggest work has been done on him by a person who would be involved with working on him, regardless of how you interpret these random other points you keep bringing up. None of them are CONCRETE evidence, just potential motivations and benefits to including characters. I'm not talking about that kind of stuff as it ultimately has no bearing on the difference between a character that is currently actively in development and one that is not.

Layton's voice actor believing he has done voice work for Layton for Smash, literally suggests and potentially proves Layton is actively in development, as voice work for Layton in Smash would mean he is being worked on. Lucas being in the game does not suggest or prove Wolf is in development. At best, it's a possible reason for him to be added from a conceptual standpoint, but the development of Lucas and the development of Wolf (if he were included) are unrelated and don't prove the existence of each other.

Also none of the polls, by Source Gaming or otherwise, are a good indicator of the ballot results, as they only account for the people that know these niche polls exist. Which is way smaller than the actual volume of people who would be voting.
I've been studying forensic science for awhile now, and that includes understanding different types of evidence in a case. Both you and the guy you're arguing with have no real evidence. Your case rests on a few tweets from a guy that could possibly be trolling. The other guy (Muno I think) is using logic based on other forms of media, like the upcoming star fox game. You're doing the same thing except with the possible Layton movie and mobile game. You both are just assuming. You both have no points. Go back to the support forums and argue about it.

I've been studying forensic science for awhile now, and that includes understanding different types of evidence in a case. Both you and the guy you're arguing with have no real evidence. Your case rests on a few tweets from a guy that could possibly be trolling. The other guy (Muno I think) is using logic based on other forms of media, like the upcoming star fox game. You're doing the same thing except with the possible Layton movie and mobile game. You both are just assuming. You both have no points. Go back to the support forums and argue about it.
My case doesn't rest on Tweets actually, clearly you didn't thoroughly read things.

Don't know why you felt the need to dig this up, especially if you're gonna do it so half-heartedly, but don't waste my time like that again. I hate when people dig up done discussions for the sake of waving their ego around, only to prove how ignorant they are.

Last edited:
"Evidence" is simply, by definition, "the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid." Splatoon's popularity indicates that more people will vote for the Inklings in Smash. Their moveset potential indicates that Sakurai will be more willing to inklude them if they do top the ballot (or in Smash 5). Fan polls with the Inkling placing very high (particularly Source Gaming's) indicate that the same is likely to hold true for the official ballot. Is it concrete, 100% irrefutable evidence that the Inkling will definitely be in Smash? No. That's not what I'm discussing here. However, by the very definition of the word, it is evidence.

I cannot say the same for Miller's comments, as they're simply not facts; they're educated guesses. But I'd rather not get into that again.

My case doesn't rest on Tweets actually, clearly you didn't thoroughly read things.

Don't know why you felt the need to dig this up, especially if you're gonna do it so half-heartedly, but don't waste my time like that again. I hate when people dig up done discussions for the sake of waving their ego around, only to prove how ignorant they are.
omg your that furry from the headcanon forum. Sonic and Rosalina? my god.

omg your that furry from the headcanon forum. Sonic and Rosalina? my god.
Uuuuuh, what?

Something tells me a detective agency or court of law wouldn't hire you. You seem to just spout random morsels out of nowhere or misinterpret data, or bring up things unrelated to the case.

But since you brought it up, that headcanon was more on the platonic side. Which isn't strange at all, it's something lots of family friendly media uses. Case in point:

Plus, Rosalina is already the caretaker of a bunch of star babies, and is friendly with Toads and Yoshis. And Sonic has had lots of human friends in the games. This isn't forbidden new territory for either character.

And honestly, romantic pairings across species are not weird or unheard of even in children's media either (ever watched Beauty and the Beast?).

Also I don't know why you bring up "furry" like it's a derogatory term. I'm not a furry of any description (if you meant the sexual kind, then I am demisexual, thank you very much), but I know people who are, and they are perfectly normal people who lead successful lives. I don't think that's to be looked down upon just because they like the look of some fantastical creatures.

It seems to me that, once again, you are just spouting random crap so you can wave your ego around, one you don't even deserve to have at this rate. If I were you, I'd just drop it, you're only attention seeking at this point.

Last edited:
Uuuuuh, what?

Something tells me a detective agency or court of law wouldn't hire you. You seem to just spout random morsels out of nowhere or misinterpret data, or bring up things unrelated to the case.

But since you brought it up, that headcanon was more on the platonic side. Which isn't strange at all, it's something lots of family friendly media uses. Case in point:

Plus, Rosalina is already the caretaker of a bunch of star babies, and is friendly with Toads and Yoshis. And Sonic has had lots of human friends in the games. This isn't forbidden new territory for either character.

And honestly, romantic pairings across species are not weird or unheard of even in children's media either (ever watched Beauty and the Beast?).

Also I don't know why you bring up "furry" like it's a derogatory term. I'm not a furry of any description (if you meant the sexual kind, then I am demisexual, thank you very much), but I know people who are, and they are perfectly normal people who lead successful lives. I don't think that's to be looked down upon just because they like the look of some fantastical creatures.

It seems to me that, once again, you are just spouting random crap so you can wave your ego around, one you don't even deserve to have at this rate. If I were you, I'd just drop it, you're only attention seeking at this point.
i love you <3

Top Bottom