• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Additional Character and Stage Slots Have Been Discovered

In April 2015, Shiny Quaqsire originally shook the fanbase when discovered, at that time, unused audio files for Ryu, Roy and Lucas as well as stage music for Dreamland 64. Shortly after making the audio discoveries, Shiny Quaqsire found unused database entries for both characters and stages in the 3DS version.

With the 1.1.1 update, the number of unused character and stage “slots” has been increased. As of writing, there are three unused character slots, and three unused stage slots. There is some speculation that one of the stage slots may have been intended for a port of the recently released Pirate Ship stage, but those reports are not confirmed at this time.

All the entries to the character and stage databases have placeholder names. Furthermore, there is nothing in the data which indicates what these “slots” might be intended for, if anything at all. For additional, technical information on the discoveries, please refer to Wolfman_J’s article on Source Gaming.

Any ideas on what might end up in these slots? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for any updates on datamining efforts!

PushDustIn is excited to see who will be added to the roster. Tweet your predictions to him on Twitter!

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

I think they're just the remaining cut veterans that were chosen prior to the ballot.

That is, Wolf, Snake and, in an ideal world, Ice Climber. Or Pichu.

"if Lucas gets in, that indicates that Wolf will most likely get in as well." (excerpted from my post)
Read that, and tell me which parts imply that A) Lucas is the only factor supporting Wolf, and B) Lucas is concrete proof for Wolf.

Hear what I said, not what you want to hear.

Potential motivations and benefits are evidence, as per the definition of the word. Evidence isn't always concrete.

The one thing that we're missing here is proof that Miller's claim was actually correct. He's simply making an educated guess. Based on the nature of the lines, he concluded that they were for Smash. That's his opinion on the matter; we don't have the lines, so we can't confirm or deny his claim, nor can we infer our own conclusion. It's unproven. Unproven evidence is not solid evidence.

It does indicate an increased likelihood, however, which is what evidence is.

Of course it's not a perfect analogue -- not by a long shot. However, it does add a bit of credence to a fighter, albeit from a much smaller sample.
First off, lay off the attitude and dated memes, they don't suit you very well.

Secondly, they are unwarranted, because my point still stands - Lucas being in the game has no relation to how likely Wolf is. At all. Wolf does seem like a likely candidate, but Lucas has nothing to do with it. I misread your wall of text a little bit, my bad, but it actually doesn't make my point any less valid, nor change the implication of my point.

Thirdly, I don't really wanna hear much of your confounded conjecture and wild imagination at all so, trust me, none of this is what I want to hear regardless, especially with the obnoxious and unnecessary tone you are beginning to take. But you know, gotta at least try to clear up misinformation.

Potential motivations and benefits are not evidence the character is LITERALLY IN DEVELOPMENT, they are evidence to show that CONCEPTUALLY, the character is a good and sensible addition that would be well received (hence the word "potential" motivations, as opposed to "actual" motivations). A character can make all the sense in the world to be added, and still never be touched. We don't have anything to prove that Wolf is actively in development (i.e. claims from people who would be involved in implementing him into the game), he just makes sense to be added. The two could remain mutually exclusive though, and Wolf might never be added to Smash 4 for all we know, as we haven't even got a hint that he might be in development.

I never said Layton is has 100% concrete evidence to support him being in the game ("hear what I said, not what you want to hear"), I said Layton has at least something concrete, however slight, to support the claim that he is IN DEVELOPMENT, regardless of how much he makes sense conceptually. That is more than any other character currently has.

So theres 3 more slots for DLC? Does that mean that there will be no more DLC after that point? IDK I'm judging by the 7 slots that are there. 4 of them are DLC characters and the other 3 all say mario. Just a thought I guess.

First off, lay off the attitude and dated memes, they don't suit you very well.
Alright, alright, geez.
Secondly, they are unwarranted, because my point still stands - Lucas being in the game has no relation to how likely Wolf is. At all. Wolf does seem like a likely candidate, but Lucas has nothing to do with it. I misread your wall of text a little bit, my bad, but it actually doesn't make my point any less valid, nor change the implication of my point.
If a Brawl semi-clone candidate is inkluded as a DLC fighter, there's a bit more reason to believe that another one will be. It's not very major evidence, of course. I suppose it's more of a subjective thing.

Personally, I see this like the Pirate Ship stage. It's a returning Brawl stage, which means that more Brawl stages are likely to return as well. In other words, it set a precedent. But that's just me.
Thirdly, I don't really wanna hear much of your confounded conjecture and wild imagination at all so, trust me, none of this is what I want to hear regardless, especially with the obnoxious and unnecessary tone you are beginning to take. But you know, gotta at least try to clear up misinformation.

Potential motivations and benefits are not evidence the character is LITERALLY IN DEVELOPMENT, they are evidence to show that CONCEPTUALLY, the character is a good and sensible addition that would be well received (hence the word "potential" motivations, as opposed to "actual" motivations). A character can make all the sense in the world to be added, and still never be touched. We don't have anything to prove that Wolf is actively in development (i.e. claims from people who would be involved in implementing him into the game), he just makes sense to be added. The two could remain mutually exclusive though, and Wolf might never be added to Smash 4 for all we know, as we haven't even got a hint that he might be in development.
Don't get me wrong, I highly doubt that any ballot fighter is already in development -- it's not even over yet. I'm discussing evidence that fighters are likely to be developed once the ballot is over. Or in Wolf's case, potentially before then since he's a returning fighter.
I never said Layton is has 100% concrete evidence to support him being in the game ("hear what I said, not what you want to hear"), I said Layton has at least something concrete, however slight, to support the claim that he is IN DEVELOPMENT, regardless of how much he makes sense conceptually. That is more than any other character currently has.
It's not concrete; it's an educated guess. It's a hypothesis, with no real proof to support it (and plenty of other, equally likely, possibilities). I never implied that you said that the evidence was 100% concrete. I simply said that it was not at all solid, due to a lack of actual proof. It has a base observation, yes (the odd lines in the script), but the hypothesis has no proof. The hypothesis was formed to explain the observation, so the observation is not proof. Kinda like how fake Smash 4 leaks aren't proven by having the roster that we already knew about. The only real difference is that a hypothesis explains the observation, whereas a roster leak expands on the observation. But you get my point.

What if Nintendo finally caught onto the dataminers, and just put these place holders in this patch to troll us?

Honestly? I'd be extremely disappointed if Shovel Knight makes it in. I'm sorry, but he doesn't really deserve it. Not only that, but he doesn't bring anything new to smash. His move set (in his actual game) always seemed unimaginative and pretty straight forward. He'd honestly share a lot of moves with pre-existing characters and isn't anything to desired (he's not a heavy weight, he's not another female, and he's not from an under represented franchise). Even though I don't really care for her , Shantae would be a much better addition. The potential for a much more unique fighter, her two games were console exclusive to Nintendo, and she has more than one game.

Anyway... Being realistic, these characters have the best chances of making into the game...
  • Wolf
  • King K. Garbage Rool
  • Isaac
Other potential characters include...
  • Snake
  • Shantae
  • Shovel Knight
  • Dixie Kong
I personally would like to see Sub-Zero, Tiki, Simon Belmont, Isaac, Bomberman, and Simon Belmont (I'm also not against Snake coming back).

Also? Being realistic (once again), I don't really see any veterans other than Snake or Wolf coming back. I also don't see any of these characters making an appearance...
  • Any Kong that isn't Dixie
  • Another Pokemon rep.
  • Sora or Geno
  • Bayoneta
  • Sub-Zero
  • Paper Mario
  • Fiaora
  • And quite a few others.

Gonna hope one is Rayman, second Wolf for the sake of having more Brawl guys returning and third...long as it ain't someone like Ridley, Geno or anyone obscure or already in the game in a different role.
I love you. I have the same hopes as you. As for the third person to help you decide, choose either Issac, Or those Indie whatever characters

I'm still going through with my prediction of K. Rool, Wolf, and the Inklings. One veteran, one older fan favorite, one newer fan favorite, and all three ooze potential.

Mii costumes be damned.

I'm still going through with my prediction of K. Rool, Wolf, and the Inklings. One veteran, one older fan favorite, one newer fan favorite, and all three ooze potential.

Mii costumes be damned.
Is it only me who are scared of Mii costumes now? Sense the fanbase assumes if a potential ballot character who is a costume is deconfirmed AHEM* K Rool & Inklings

Is it only me who are scared of Mii costumes now? Sense the fanbase assumes if a potential ballot character who is a costume is deconfirmed AHEM* K Rool & Inklings
I just don't see them as an issue, especially the Inklings, due to theirs being made before Splatoon even came out.

I just see them less as consolation prizes and more as testing the waters for their potential playability through public reaction. Might just be me though.

I see the Mii costumes as irrelevant. They came out before the ballot ended, so they really have no bearing on whether or not a character will make it in via the ballot, and vice-versa. If they were consolation prizes, then they would be released after the ballot's end, when they actually knew who would and would not be in the game.

I love you. I have the same hopes as you. As for the third person to help you decide, choose either Issac, Or those Indie whatever characters
Now prepare to hate me casue I have absolutely zero interest for Issac and Golden Sun lol, and indy characters too since they are kinda obscure anyway.

I'm gonna go with Sceptile, the starter elements trio needs to be completed since Charizard and Greninja are already in.

Last edited:
Now prepare to hate me casue I have absolutely zero interest for Issac and Golden Sun lol, and indy characters too since they are kinda obscure anyway.

I'm gonna go with Sceptile, the starter elements trio needs to be completed since Charizard and Greninja are already in.
Now prepare to hate/like me because Issac and the Indie characters are also obscure in my opinion as well, the only reason I mentioned them was cause at this point I can't think of anyone really after Wolf and Rayman that would make the roster more perfect. Now with Sceptile I like your thinking but I have absolute zero intrest with him getting in as Pokemon has enough reps right now and two DLC Pokemon reps would be overdoing it in my opinion. But I also can't see Inkling and Chibi Robo getting in until Smash 5, and don't get me started on King K Rool. Perhaps we can settle on Marshall from Rhythm Heaven

Wait so your saying Ice Climbers could be in as DLC?
No, actually quite the contrary, because of the 3DS version. They're definitely not one (or two) of these three slots, since they're on the 3DS, which is the very reason for the Climbers' exclusion.

I know it hurts :(

Last edited:
No, actually quite the contrary, because of the 3DS version. They're definitely not one (or two) of these three slots, since they're on the 3DS, which is the very reason for the Climbers' exclusion.

I know it hurts :(
The source you gave me seems like ShinyQuagsire is trying to get deeper in the data find anything interesting?

Were I a betting man, I'd put $100 on Wolf, no doubt.
Wouldn't be surprised to see K. Rool.
Would LOVE to see Isaac.
And if it were a 3rd party character, Knuckles or Lloyd Irving.

Lets go Snake I know it might not happen with the KONAMI drama but a man can dream for his brawl main but my bet is on wolf,shauntae, and shovel knight

Top Bottom