• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Additional Character and Stage Slots Have Been Discovered

In April 2015, Shiny Quaqsire originally shook the fanbase when discovered, at that time, unused audio files for Ryu, Roy and Lucas as well as stage music for Dreamland 64. Shortly after making the audio discoveries, Shiny Quaqsire found unused database entries for both characters and stages in the 3DS version.

With the 1.1.1 update, the number of unused character and stage “slots” has been increased. As of writing, there are three unused character slots, and three unused stage slots. There is some speculation that one of the stage slots may have been intended for a port of the recently released Pirate Ship stage, but those reports are not confirmed at this time.

All the entries to the character and stage databases have placeholder names. Furthermore, there is nothing in the data which indicates what these “slots” might be intended for, if anything at all. For additional, technical information on the discoveries, please refer to Wolfman_J’s article on Source Gaming.

Any ideas on what might end up in these slots? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for any updates on datamining efforts!

PushDustIn is excited to see who will be added to the roster. Tweet your predictions to him on Twitter!

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

What are you referring to, then? I'm curious.
The guy who ran that Layton4Smash Twitter page made a Smashboards account to come to the Layton topic and explain:

The initial Twitter post wasn't really a joke. Christopher Miller had a genuine suspicion that he did voice work for Layton, for Smash. He was able to confirm at the least that he did voice work for Layton for two upcoming projects. That alone is strange because the Layton series is supposed to be finished save for a few spinoffs. The only Layton projects we know are happening is Layton 7 (though that's a mobile card game so it likely won't have voice acting, since previous mobile Layton games haven't), and the the second movie (which was revealed years ago but we have been told literally nothing about it since so I question if it's even still a thing).

As for the iMDb listing, Miller actually flat out denied it first to the fan page on Twitter, but then months later, replied to the post saying "Oh, so that's what those extra lines were for!", completely out of nowhere. That was what started the news articles and what not in the first place - if it was a joke, he wouldn't just come out of nowhere and say that.

But anyway, he did later say that he genuinely thought some of his lines were recorded for Smash after looking into it. Which we can only assume had to do with the very nature of the lines recorded (it's not often that Layton would have battle cries and what not).

So to summarize:
-Layton's voice actor recorded, as Layton, for two upcoming projects recently.

-There are only two PUBLICLY KNOWN upcoming Layton projects, one that likely won't come outside of Japan and likely won't have voice acting, and a movie that may not even be in the works anymore at this point and may have been long cancelled.

-The nature of the lines recorded led the actor to believe and casually remark he may have recorded lines for Smash, AFTER he already flat out denied having involvement in the game (keep in mind that video game voice actors rarely know the exact game they are recording for - in the case of a franchise, multiple upcoming projects could be recorded for in one session and the actor wouldn't know that).

Basically Layton is the only character where we have a direct story that shows he may have had lines recorded for Smash, as one of the two upcoming projects that will feature Layton.

The guy who ran that Layton4Smash Twitter page made a Smashboards account to come to the Layton topic and explain:

The initial Twitter post wasn't really a joke. Christopher Miller had a genuine suspicion that he did voice work for Layton, for Smash. He was able to confirm at the least that he did voice work for Layton for two upcoming projects. That alone is strange because the Layton series is supposed to be finished save for a few spinoffs. The only Layton projects we know are happening is Layton 7 (though that's a mobile card game so it likely won't have voice acting, since previous mobile Layton games haven't), and the the second movie (which was revealed years ago but we have been told literally nothing about it since so I question if it's even still a thing).

As for the iMDb listing, Miller actually flat out denied it first to the fan page on Twitter, but then months later, replied to the post saying "Oh, so that's what those extra lines were for!", completely out of nowhere. That was what started the news articles and what not in the first place - if it was a joke, he wouldn't just come out of nowhere and say that.

But anyway, he did later say that he genuinely thought some of his lines were recorded for Smash after looking into it. Which we can only assume had to do with the very nature of the lines recorded (it's not often that Layton would have battle cries and what not).

So to summarize:
-Layton's voice actor recorded, as Layton, for two upcoming projects recently.

-There are only two PUBLICLY KNOWN upcoming Layton projects, one that likely won't come outside of Japan and likely won't have voice acting, and a movie that may not even be in the works anymore at this point and may have been long cancelled.

-The nature of the lines recorded led the actor to believe and casually remark he may have recorded lines for Smash, AFTER he already flat out denied having involvement in the game (keep in mind that video game voice actors rarely know the exact game they are recording for - in the case of a franchise, multiple upcoming projects could be recorded for in one session and the actor wouldn't know that).

Basically Layton is the only character where we have a direct story that shows he may have had lines recorded for Smash, as one of the two upcoming projects that will feature Layton.
I see. I still do have my doubts, on the following grounds:

Not being talked about for a while =/= being canceled. Case in point, SMTxFE. (It's not a movie, I know, but I don't see why the principle wouldn't apply.)

As for the other project, the mobile-based card game, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few lines in there. Perhaps this game has a slightly bigger budget than the other ones, or they just felt like inkluding it in this entry. It shouldn't be too much trouble to record a few "extra lines," as Miller put it.

Now, if these lines did sound Smash-like, then wouldn't they also fit in a card game, where you're battling a vampire? That sounds like a "battle cry"-worthy scenario.

Or, of course, there's the possibility that there's simply another unknown project in the works. Layton fighting game, anyone?

I've voted for Manic
&
Sonia The Hedgehogs, Izuna: Legend of The Unemployed Ninja
, Shantae, Risky Boots, Neku Sakuraba and finally, Geno! #ConfirmedTheNewCharactersIwant4SMASHDLC! P.S: I've saved up to $100.53 on my eShop account, which means MY BODY IS READY FOR SMASH DLC REQUESTMENTS!

Last edited:
I see. I still do have my doubts, on the following grounds:

Not being talked about for a while =/= being canceled. Case in point, SMTxFE. (It's not a movie, I know, but I don't see why the principle wouldn't apply.)

As for the other project, the mobile-based card game, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few lines in there. Perhaps this game has a slightly bigger budget than the other ones, or they just felt like inkluding it in this entry. It shouldn't be too much trouble to record a few "extra lines," as Miller put it.

Now, if these lines did sound Smash-like, then wouldn't they also fit in a card game, where you're battling a vampire? That sounds like a "battle cry"-worthy scenario.

Or, of course, there's the possibility that there's simply another unknown project in the works. Layton fighting game, anyone?
I'm not saying it's conclusive or anything but it's much closer to conclusive than anything we've got from any other character.

Like yeah I think Wolf is a no-brainer, but technically, nothing has come out to even remotely suggest work has been done on him for Smash, for example.

Also I highly doubt Layton 7 is getting voice acting, and even if it did, the game isn't coming out in the West as far as we know, and it would likely just re-use voices rather than have new ones recorded.

I also highly doubt it has anything in it that has "battle cry" worthy scenarios. This isn't Yu-Gi-Oh! or some other shonen anime. Layton just isn't the sort of character who would yell or even grunt while playing a card game. He's far too composed. He's only been shown doing that in fight scenes or other heavily action oriented scenes, where his body would be physically active, so the odd grunt or surprised yell comes out. Smash is the only potential project I can think of where he would have something like that anyway. Besides, maybe the lines had cheesy mentions of the word "Smash" in it, as possible trailer dialogue (like how Doc Louis said "Smash ain't no joke!" in Little Mac's trailer, or how Robin says "Smash has many foes" or something like that in his trailer). That's another easy possibility as to why he thought the lines were for Smash.

In any case, I still think Layton is a fairly likely character, with or without this evidence (though assuming this evidence were false, I'd replace him with Rayman for the ones I think are most likely).

Last edited:
D
c'mon guys, we all know the three slots are Pichu, Young Link and Ridley :^)

I'm not saying it's conclusive or anything but it's much closer to conclusive than anything we've got from any other character.

Like yeah I think Wolf is a no-brainer, but technically, nothing has come out to even remotely suggest work has been done on him for Smash, for example.
I don't think that this is the only type of evidence, though. Using your Wolf example, I'd say that Lucas (and to a slightly lesser extent, Roy and Mewtwo) is his evidence. They were in essentially the same situation, and I don't see why they'd bring back a fighter from a series without a new game coming out anytime soon and yet leave out Wolf, who has Star Fox Zero and all to promote.
Also I highly doubt Layton 7 is getting voice acting, and even if it did, the game isn't coming out in the West as far as we know, and it would likely just re-use voices rather than have new ones recorded.

I also highly doubt it has anything in it that has "battle cry" worthy scenarios. This isn't Yu-Gi-Oh! or some other shonen anime. Layton just isn't the sort of character who would yell or even grunt while playing a card game. He's far too composed. He's only been shown doing that in fight scenes or other heavily action oriented scenes, where his body would be physically active, so the odd grunt or surprised yell comes out. Smash is the only potential project I can think of where he would have something like that anyway. Besides, maybe the lines had cheesy mentions of the word "Smash" in it, as possible trailer dialogue (like how Doc Louis said "Smash ain't no joke!" in Little Mac's trailer, or how Robin says "Smash has many foes" or something like that in his trailer). That's another easy possibility as to why he thought the lines were for Smash.
Fair enough. Another possibility is that they were for the film; in fact, that's probably the project I'd expect most to have battle scenes and such. Announced project, that is.
In any case, I still think Layton is a fairly likely character, with or without this evidence (though assuming this evidence were false, I'd replace him with Rayman for the ones I think are most likely).
Agreed.

It'll probably be a 3-character pack like last time: two cut, easy characters and the ballot winner. :wolf: has to be one of them.

I don't think that this is the only type of evidence, though. Using your Wolf example, I'd say that Lucas (and to a slightly lesser extent, Roy and Mewtwo) is his evidence. They were in essentially the same situation, and I don't see why they'd bring back a fighter from a series without a new game coming out anytime soon and yet leave out Wolf, who has Star Fox Zero and all to promote.
That's not evidence, that's assumed correlation.

Like I don't doubt Wolf will be DLC, for the exact reasons you said. But those aren't pieces of evidence, just hopeful signs the community latches onto because they make sense, I guess. We don't have anything to say Wolf IS in development (nobody has come out and said "I think I voiced this character for Smash" or "I made his 3D model" or anything. That's what I mean by evidence, or even proof that he's in development). But we have plenty of reasons to think he WOULD be in development, to where it would seem almost non-nonsensical if he wasn't. At the end of the day though, people can just as easily say they don't think Wolf will be in the game just as much as any other character. Layton just has that little bit more - it's not concrete, but we have a story to suggest that someone might have voiced his lines for Smash, which is more concrete than anything other characters have, regardless of how "likely" we think other characters are for promotional reasons. That's the main reason I think he is the most "likely" character for Smash (ironically, besides Wolf, because I seriously think Nintendo would be STUPID not to put Wolf in at this point and if they don't, I'll be baffled. And the fact he is first party and Layton isn't).

Last edited:
That's not evidence, that's assumed correlation.

Like I don't doubt Wolf will be DLC, for the exact reasons you said. But those aren't pieces of evidence, just hopeful signs the community latches onto because they make sense, I guess. We don't have anything to say Wolf IS in development (nobody has come out and said "I think I voiced this character for Smash" or "I made his 3D model" or anything. That's what I mean by evidence, or even proof that he's in development). But we have plenty of reasons to think he WOULD be in development, to where it would seem almost non-nonsensical if he wasn't. At the end of the day though, people can just as easily say they don't think Wolf will be in the game just as much as any other character. Layton just has that little bit more - it's not concrete, but we have a story to suggest that someone might have voiced his lines for Smash, which is more concrete than anything other characters have, regardless of how "likely" we think other characters are for promotional reasons. That's the main reason I think he is the most "likely" character for Smash (ironically, besides Wolf, because I seriously think Nintendo would be STUPID not to put Wolf in at this point and if they don't, I'll be baffled. And the fact he is first party and Layton isn't).
Hate to get into semantics, but evidence is "the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid." If Lucas is in, and Wolf is in largely the same situation as Lucas (except he's still relevant), then that would seem to indicate that he'll be in the game.

The VA's comments lend some evidence to Layton's book -- I'd be a hypocrite by saying otherwise -- but I wouldn't say that it makes him among the most likely. For one, VA work isn't concrete proof; in an interview, I recall Xander (the Smash 4 announcer) saying that he recorded lines for characters that weren't in the game, even in early development phases. This could very well be another one of those "just in case," well, cases. Also, there's the aforementioned point of him perhaps being wrong in assuming that the lines are for Smash.

Other than the uncertainty of the evidence for Layton, there's also the strength of evidence for other fighters. Wolf, we've discussed already. King K. Rool and other characters are topping fan votes, indicating that they're likely up there in the official ballot. The Inkling in particular has quite a bit going for it. Splatoon's popularity, for one -- it's sold over 1.62M as of last July, and outsold Smash at one point. There's also the moveset potential, the fact that Splatoon is the biggest new Nintendo IP since Pikmin (which also got inkluded in Smash), et cetera. In my (admittedly inkredibly biased) opinion, the evidence towards the Inkling's likelihood is a bit more significant than some tweets from a VA that could mean a multitude of other things.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be down for Layton in Smash -- it'd be pretty neat to have a puzzle game character, with a fittingly cerebral-based playstyle -- but I don't think that he's the most likely by any means.

A voice actor recording lines for an upcoming project sounds much more concrete than sales of another IP and how popular it is among fans.

I shall be content with any characters we get: New characters simply add to the variety and enjoyment of the game.

A voice actor recording lines for an upcoming project sounds much more concrete than sales of another IP and how popular it is among fans.
The VA lines could very well mean nothing because:
  • He could be mistaken about the lines being for Smash; perhaps they're for the upcoming film. He wasn't told that they're for Smash; he's essentially making an educated guess.
  • VA lines go unused quite a bit; for example, the Smash 4 announcer recorded lines for a lot of unimplemented characters. These Layton lines could just be a "just in case" measure, or the result of a plan that didn't come to fruition.
  • Miller could just be messing with us, who knows.
The points I brought up regarding the Inkling are relevant because:
  • More sales for Splatoon = more people interested in the DLC = more DLC sales = more money for Nintendo, which is what drives Nintendo to make games in the first place (among other reasons).
  • More popularity for Splatoon = more votes in the Fighter Ballot.
  • More moveset potential for the Inkling = more chance of them being inkluded, based on Sakurai's criteria.
  • Olimar getting into Brawl = a parallel for the Inkling, indicating that the latter will get into Smash just like the former did. Like how Lucas points to Wolf getting inkluded.

I would be Ok with Snake or Wolf comin back. personally i'm hoping for another pokemon :p maybe Sceptile?

Hate to get into semantics, but evidence is "the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid." If Lucas is in, and Wolf is in largely the same situation as Lucas (except he's still relevant), then that would seem to indicate that he'll be in the game.

The VA's comments lend some evidence to Layton's book -- I'd be a hypocrite by saying otherwise -- but I wouldn't say that it makes him among the most likely. For one, VA work isn't concrete proof; in an interview, I recall Xander (the Smash 4 announcer) saying that he recorded lines for characters that weren't in the game, even in early development phases. This could very well be another one of those "just in case," well, cases. Also, there's the aforementioned point of him perhaps being wrong in assuming that the lines are for Smash.

Other than the uncertainty of the evidence for Layton, there's also the strength of evidence for other fighters. Wolf, we've discussed already. King K. Rool and other characters are topping fan votes, indicating that they're likely up there in the official ballot. The Inkling in particular has quite a bit going for it. Splatoon's popularity, for one -- it's sold over 1.62M as of last July, and outsold Smash at one point. There's also the moveset potential, the fact that Splatoon is the biggest new Nintendo IP since Pikmin (which also got inkluded in Smash), et cetera. In my (admittedly inkredibly biased) opinion, the evidence towards the Inkling's likelihood is a bit more significant than some tweets from a VA that could mean a multitude of other things.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be down for Layton in Smash -- it'd be pretty neat to have a puzzle game character, with a fittingly cerebral-based playstyle -- but I don't think that he's the most likely by any means.
So I guess Pichu and Young Link are likely just because Dr. Mario is back then?

These things aren't evidence. It's only evidence if it directly related (e.g. "you were seen coming out of the bank with a sack of money and a big grin, that's evidence you were the robber"). Lucas and Roy are isolated cases, they got in on their own merits. Wolf does not get in because they are in, he would get in for his own reasons. It's ludicrous to suggest that these characters only get in because another did, they are all completely unrelated.

Also the fan polls represent a tiny fraction of the actual votes, and Inklings would more than likely be saved for a Smash game on the NX (to promote a very likely Splatoon sequel). I don't see Inklings happening now. They like to promote recent things in Smash, but Splatoon is pushing it, and they will need a big new IP representative for the next game, something Inklings would be perfect for. Splatoon doesn't need promotion in Smash BECAUSE it's so popular, it's selling fine on it's own right now, and they already have it covered with the Mii Fighter outfits and Inkling trophy. I can see a Splatoon stage, but not a fighter, in this game. The Inklings would be best saved for Smash NX.

None of these things you bring up are evidence, they are conjecture, educated guesses. The thing on Layton isn't though. There is evidence of him ACTUALLY being worked on, not just "oh his game sold well so that means Nintendo will want him in Smash".

Your points are still a lot less concrete than what Layton's VA would suggest. You can't use xander as an example because his job to to announce for the project at hand and by extension he has to record a magnitude of lines for the off chance they're used later in development. Layton's VA on the other hand being given lines that sound something outside of the normal medium is entirely indicative of something much larger for the character. I'm sure he could piece together if he was doing voices for a movie.

Also Reddit polls aren't indicative of the total support of a character. You're using statistical logic, not solid evidence of inklings getting in based on popularity and sales. Big in Japan doesn't mean sakurai's gonna concede to the masses. We'd have Ridley if that was the case.

Do note, though, I'm not saying Layton is guaranteed in based on what his VA tweeted. I'm just saying it's much more indicative of a possible appearance based on the nature of the lines as opposed to what a game's sales look like.

Last edited:
So I guess Pichu and Young Link are likely just because Dr. Mario is back then?
No, because Dr. Mario was a result of extra development time, when fighters and everything were finished and the game's completion deadline wasn't for a while, so they had time to kill. That doesn't really apply for DLC.
These things aren't evidence. It's only evidence if it directly related (e.g. "you were seen coming out of the bank with a sack of money and a big grin, that's evidence you were the robber"). Lucas and Roy are isolated cases, they got in on their own merits. Wolf does not get in because they are in, he would get in for his own reasons. It's ludicrous to suggest that these characters only get in because another did, they are all completely unrelated.
They're not unrelated. Lucas and Wolf were both:
  • in Brawl
  • cut from Smash 4
  • semi-clones of another character, but still unique enough to justify themselves
  • demanded quite a bit by the fanbase
Really, the only differentiating factors (that apply here) are the fact that they're different characters, and the fact that Wolf is far more relevant. Wolf is more likely than Lucas (by virtue of the latter differentiating factor), so if Lucas gets in, that indicates that Wolf will most likely get in as well.
Also the fan polls represent a tiny fraction of the actual votes,
They're also our best indicator (another word for evidence) as to who's frontrunning the ballot.
and Inklings would more than likely be saved for a Smash game on the NX (to promote a very likely Splatoon sequel). I don't see Inklings happening now. They like to promote recent things in Smash, but Splatoon is pushing it, and they will need a big new IP representative for the next game, something Inklings would be perfect for.
I can agree with that. Being "too recent" isn't really a factor, though; the ballot is just now ending, and fighter development is just now beginning.
Splatoon doesn't need promotion in Smash BECAUSE it's so popular, it's selling fine on it's own right now, and they already have it covered with the Mii Fighter outfits and Inkling trophy. I can see a Splatoon stage, but not a fighter, in this game. The Inklings would be best saved for Smash NX.
Splatoon recently outsold Smash Brothers. This could be a symbiotic relationship; Splatoon fans will buy Smash because they recognize the character, and Smash fans will buy Splatoon because they discover the character.

Also, a more popular game means more popular DLC, and thus more sales for Nintendo.
None of these things you bring up are evidence, they are conjecture, educated guesses. The thing on Layton isn't though. There is evidence of him ACTUALLY being worked on, not just "oh his game sold well so that means Nintendo will want him in Smash".
If a character meeting every criteria for being a DLC fighter with flying colors isn't evidence of a character's likelihod to be inkluded as DLC, then I don't see how a few tweets, which really are educated guesses on the VA's part, are.
Your points are still a lot less concrete than what Layton's VA would suggest. You can't use xander as an example because his job to to announce for the project at hand and by extension he has to record a magnitude of lines for the off chance they're used later in development. Layton's VA on the other hand being given lines that sound something outside of the normal medium is entirely indicative of something much larger for the character.
Like a scrapped Smash Bros. inklusion/lines recorded just in case he was added in the future, or a currently unannounced spin-off entry?

I don't see how being an announcer vs. being a main character makes this matter any different.
I'm sure he could piece together if he was doing voices for a movie.
Fair enough.
Also Reddit polls aren't indicative of the total support of a character.
I'm more referring to the polls by Source Gaming.
You're using statistical logic, not solid evidence of inklings getting in based on popularity and sales.
I again bring up the definition of evidence. Evidence is simply an indication that something is true, or false. Not necessarily certain proof that something is undoubtedly the case; just an indication.
Big in Japan doesn't mean sakurai's gonna concede to the masses. We'd have Ridley if that was the case.
*cue rimshot*

Splatoon's popularity is worldwide, by the by. In fact, it's sold 540K+ in NA alone as of last July, and was #2 in the UK software sales chart the week it launched (behind The Witcher 3).

Also, this isn't just a matter of "conceding to the masses." (Although the ballot's existence does imply that that is a rather major factor.) It's also about providing a unique gameplay experience, which the Inklings would most certainly deliver.

Gonna hope one is Rayman, second Wolf for the sake of having more Brawl guys returning and third...long as it ain't someone like Ridley, Geno or anyone obscure or already in the game in a different role.

No, because Dr. Mario was a result of extra development time, when fighters and everything were finished and the game's completion deadline wasn't for a while, so they had time to kill. That doesn't really apply for DLC.

They're not unrelated. Lucas and Wolf were both:
  • in Brawl
  • cut from Smash 4
  • semi-clones of another character, but still unique enough to justify themselves
  • demanded quite a bit by the fanbase
Really, the only differentiating factors (that apply here) are the fact that they're different characters, and the fact that Wolf is far more relevant. Wolf is more likely than Lucas (by virtue of the latter differentiating factor), so if Lucas gets in, that indicates that Wolf will most likely get in as well.

They're also our best indicator (another word for evidence) as to who's frontrunning the ballot.

I can agree with that. Being "too recent" isn't really a factor, though; the ballot is just now ending, and fighter development is just now beginning.

Splatoon recently outsold Smash Brothers. This could be a symbiotic relationship; Splatoon fans will buy Smash because they recognize the character, and Smash fans will buy Splatoon because they discover the character.

Also, a more popular game means more popular DLC, and thus more sales for Nintendo.

If a character meeting every criteria for being a DLC fighter with flying colors isn't evidence of a character's likelihod to be inkluded as DLC, then I don't see how a few tweets, which really are educated guesses on the VA's part, are.

Like a scrapped Smash Bros. inklusion/lines recorded just in case he was added in the future, or a currently unannounced spin-off entry?

I don't see how being an announcer vs. being a main character makes this matter any different.

Fair enough.

I'm more referring to the polls by Source Gaming.

I again bring up the definition of evidence. Evidence is simply an indication that something is true, or false. Not necessarily certain proof that something is undoubtedly the case; just an indication.

*cue rimshot*

Splatoon's popularity is worldwide, by the by. In fact, it's sold 540K+ in NA alone as of last July, and was #2 in the UK software sales chart the week it launched (behind The Witcher 3).

Also, this isn't just a matter of "conceding to the masses." (Although the ballot's existence does imply that that is a rather major factor.) It's also about providing a unique gameplay experience, which the Inklings would most certainly deliver.
So you think that just because the circumstances of Wolf's inclusion in Brawl are similar to Lucas (though Wolf is not a semi-clone anyway), he will concretely be in Smash 4 because Lucas is?

Sorry, but that just is poor logic. I'm not even going to argue because anyone else will see the problem with this anyway. Wolf will likely be in the game, but he still doesn't have evidence to suggest work has been done on him by a person who would be involved with working on him, regardless of how you interpret these random other points you keep bringing up. None of them are CONCRETE evidence, just potential motivations and benefits to including characters. I'm not talking about that kind of stuff as it ultimately has no bearing on the difference between a character that is currently actively in development and one that is not.

Layton's voice actor believing he has done voice work for Layton for Smash, literally suggests and potentially proves Layton is actively in development, as voice work for Layton in Smash would mean he is being worked on. Lucas being in the game does not suggest or prove Wolf is in development. At best, it's a possible reason for him to be added from a conceptual standpoint, but the development of Lucas and the development of Wolf (if he were included) are unrelated and don't prove the existence of each other.

Also none of the polls, by Source Gaming or otherwise, are a good indicator of the ballot results, as they only account for the people that know these niche polls exist. Which is way smaller than the actual volume of people who would be voting.

Last edited:
So you think that just because the circumstances of Wolf's inclusion in Brawl are similar to Lucas (though Wolf is not a semi-clone anyway), he will concretely be in Smash 4 because Lucas is?

"if Lucas gets in, that indicates that Wolf will most likely get in as well." (excerpted from my post)
Read that, and tell me which parts imply that A) Lucas is the only factor supporting Wolf, and B) Lucas is concrete proof for Wolf.

Hear what I said, not what you want to hear.
Sorry, but that just is poor logic. I'm not even going to argue because anyone else will see the problem with this anyway. Wolf will likely be in the game, but he still doesn't have evidence to suggest work has been done on him by a person who would be involved with working on him, regardless of how you interpret these random other points you keep bringing up. None of them are CONCRETE evidence, just potential motivations and benefits to including characters. I'm not talking about that kind of stuff as it ultimately has no bearing on the difference between a character that is currently actively in development and one that is not.
Potential motivations and benefits are evidence, as per the definition of the word. Evidence isn't always concrete.
Layton's voice actor believing he has done voice work for Layton for Smash, literally suggests and potentially proves Layton is actively in development, as voice work for Layton in Smash would mean he is being worked on.
The one thing that we're missing here is proof that Miller's claim was actually correct. He's simply making an educated guess. Based on the nature of the lines, he concluded that they were for Smash. That's his opinion on the matter; we don't have the lines, so we can't confirm or deny his claim, nor can we infer our own conclusion. It's unproven. Unproven evidence is not solid evidence.
Lucas being in the game does not suggest or prove Wolf is in development. At best, it's a possible reason for him to be added from a conceptual standpoint, but the development of Lucas and the development of Wolf (if he were included) are unrelated and don't prove the existence of each other.
It does indicate an increased likelihood, however, which is what evidence is.
Also none of the polls, by Source Gaming or otherwise, are a good indicator of the ballot results, as they only account for the people that know these niche polls exist. Which is way smaller than the actual volume of people who would be voting.
Of course it's not a perfect analogue -- not by a long shot. However, it does add a bit of credence to a fighter, albeit from a much smaller sample.

Top Bottom