• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Act 3 Clear!!: Sonic Tournament Results & Discussion Thread

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Haha, speaking of LOL+, I have even MOAR reason to dislike it now, now with MOAR bad experiences.

Slyknux (none of you will know him) had a set-up a couple of minutes before the convention center would close (it was EVO 2K9 BTW, but I only showed up to support Vegas, I don't have ~65-90 dollars to spend only to lose), and so out of courtesy I decided to try it out... of course I don't use Sonic because he is a trash character in that silly game and I've been hearing about how Kirby is the new MK, so I decided to play him... and it went alright.

Except that I would be UTilting when I wanted to jab (I'm not even holding up on the D-Pad), U-Throwing when I want to do Gonzo-Combos, B-Throwing when I meant to do U-Throws (this is proof that it wasn't me holding a direction on the D-Pad I insert it into the system), doing Uairs instead of Nairs.

I entered low-tier doubles, Sonic wasn't allowed of course, but oh well, it was all good until Kita had to leave, so then we had to forfeit... oh well it was one dollar, and we both get to say we got to scare off M2K & MikeHAZE lolwut.

I met SP (dat ain't Espy), he's a pretty cool guy and doesn't afraid of getting Sonic banned for low-tiers (as it should be anyway, I'm not all about the money or I would've complained about how MikeHAZE got a replacement partner and keep playing in low-tier doubles when M2K was nowhere to be seen and I had to forfeit because my partner couldn't stay while I could, when I looked @ the bracket there were about 14 teams with 26 people, imagine the pot).

Zelda however, I should never lose to her but I did anyway... I guess that's what happens when the least time you played Brawl was... months ago, and I know you don't need to practice much if at all in this game but obviously it might/will take a toll on you. I did manage to finally get some (good) Weegee experience, and it was cool 'cause they were close and felt more like legit loses than that of the matches with Zelda, the matches with weegee also happened to be close.

Now to make this post worthwhile, I need to ask you all something.

How do I get matches with the pros at will? Apparently I have to play moneymatches / meet them in bracket if I want to get their attention, and if I don't I keep gettin' ***********. I know money is worth a lot to some people but what happened to just playing to get better? I'm like at that fine line where I'm not pro (or able to win money, least in-tourney anyway, it might be a different case in MMs) but not (total) scrub either, so I don't get matches with the greats and I very rarely play matches with people who want to get better, and when I do they are... mediocre to put it.

It probably also doesn't make it better that I got protective parents, but that's my own problem that I should be able to fix but don't so let me worry about it.

Help?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Frankly, you gotta take things as they come. If a professional isn't with others or doing another match, just ask for one and they'll likely play. Or they might even ask if you wanna play. It's what happened to me at Genesis, and I got to team with Mew2King for an hour or so at the Ramada Hotel. No real trick to it, and it's even better not to think about it too much.

Just go with the flow, man. Not sure if you can get matches at will, because frankly, scrub or professional, you can't get everyone when you want. Just roll with it, I say.

Genesis would have been a wonderful experience for you, I say. A lot of people played other people, friendlies/MM/whatever. At the venue and at the hotel when there was time. Gotta keep in mind too, that at a tournament, lots of professionals would like to try and keep themselves fresh and up to speed with the rest of the competition, and might not have a lot of time.

It's how I see it, at least.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah, you can also go into the tournament listings thread and gets MMs set up and stuff. And like Kuraudo said, you never know when a player will randomly approach you. Blackanese just came up to me out of the blue and asked for a match, so that was pretty lulz.

Also, when you get the chance to play top players in brackets, just act casual. Don't come off as like "zomg nervous its *insert name*" Like, after playing Boss in tourney 2-1 (still losing) he came up to me at Apex and was just like "Yo Cam, good luck in pools!" so you never know who you'll impress.

Remember, these "top players" are just guys like us having fun playing a video game ^_^ sure they make more money, but they still have as much fun as we do (well most of them...)

It's also pretty easy to attract a fanbase when you main a character like Sonic.

I think Kuraudo put it the best, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

:093:

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Just stopping by to say good games to all the sonics I fought at Genesis. I fought 4-5 sonics, but the only name I can remember is Shadow fiend.. *I'm horrible with names..*

Dang you Malcolm for disappearing after you were out of the bracket. You were the main person I wanted to play, and we never got a chance :(

Anyways, good games everyone.

Edit: Just so you guys know, X went to a Vegas tourney on July 5th. He beat Z to take 2nd place after losing to SK 92. I'm guessing you don't have that in there cause he never has the chance to get on here. (And yes, I know it's not in your format, but it's better than nothing XD )

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Test Your Might VI!
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241834
07-18-09
Out of 54
13th - Ithrowthings (Sonic)

This is the largest tournament that I've been able to host in the Test Your Might Series. I totally lost my voice announcing matches and whatnot. Lost to Tyr in pools, his lucas changed quite a bit since last time I fought it. Lost to Falco400 in brackets even though I've beaten him every other time. Beat a buncha people in losers then lost to ArgentStew again. Shugo pretty much destroyed this tourney, I learned some stuff from him though and I'm getting better.

Also, if anyone wants to come to the next test your might, it's going to be held on September 12th in NE ohio.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
"Don't come off as like "zomg nervous its *insert name*" "

... I am not ashamed to admit that I might have freaked out just a little when I met Taj for the first time. Big fan of his rapetastic Mewtwo. LMAO srsly, I was like a fanboy. But yyyyeah...

>_> I play it cool.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
"Don't come off as like "zomg nervous its *insert name*" "

... I am not ashamed to admit that I might have freaked out just a little when I met Taj for the first time. Big fan of his rapetastic Mewtwo. LMAO srsly, I was like a fanboy. But yyyyeah...

>_> I play it cool.
lmao, I think it's okay to think that way, just don't show it to the player and make them feel awkward xD

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Eh, I'm probably a bit more calm then Kura, but I always look forward to meeting people, even if I won't go losin' my mind I'm still very eager.

Also about X going to a tourney in Vegas... I bet he went to one of the Top Deck tournaments. The results aren't up, and neither are the amount of entrants, so we won't really know how well he did.

Still, good to know that I was in Europe while that went down.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Also about X going to a tourney in Vegas... I bet he went to one of the Top Deck tournaments. The results aren't up, and neither are the amount of entrants, so we won't really know how well he did.
All I know is that he beat Z and lost to SK92 in GFs and took 2nd.

Just curious, which Sonic mains did I play at Genesis? I ask cause I'm horrible with names XD

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Who were you again? I was the one with the tag of "Cloud" in Smash, and the only white guy using Sonic other then Kaze and Malcolm. I also had glasses.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well Ken, if you really want to know you can always just ask him but I would like to think that I know what goes down here in Sin City.

I'm gonna take *** and kick names today, I'll be back with results.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I don't think they do even now, you/we will have to ask Espy if he's going to add a new section for online tourneys specifically.

Also I petition that since this is now under the control of Espy that he rename this to the "Winning Steak tournaments : Sonic tourney results thread." Or something like that.

He already did it with the long-forgotten Blue-Blur cinemas, I don't see why we could do it with this thread too (if it fits, otherwise find a name that will da****!).

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah, "Sonic Tournament Results Thread" is a bit bleh.

And lol...online tourney results. That would seem like to much of a pain to add, and not be worth it >_> I guess if Espy is game for it but I don't see much reason to.

Oh, and gl Kinzer ^_^

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Vegassmash Gameworld Weekly #6
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=6790
July 20th, 2009
Out of 23
13th - Kinzer (Sonic)

Oh, and some nice icing on the cake.

Vegassmash Gameworld weekly #6
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=6790
July 20th, 2009
Out of 23
13th - Tails (Sonic)

That's right folks, Kinzer isn't terrorizing Vegas alone anymore!

This guy is almost my mirror image, he's a die-hard Sonic fan who shows much promise and can get around like I can. I would know 'cause I teamed with this guy, and though we kinda got last, it's @#$%ing teams and they don't matter too much anyway... bleh. G&W is Hella Gay in teams though, I was not about to make my partner lose because we got a 65/35 disadvantage on a stupid character so I busted out Ike and went on Luigi's, although that didn't work because he suicided... GAH! ;O. I felt like I played perfectly/with little mistakes, Tails on the other hand I don't think was satisfied with how he performed, but again it was doubles and it's just in good fun, singles is where it's at anyway.

Still, it's not like I can't handle him on my own, but that's another story for another time.

Tails said he doesn't have his own SWF acc, so if he's reading this, that's okay I guess.

It's great really, to find somebody else who actually lives in the same city and is almost the same person, meaning that his main goal would be to get far as a player and with Sonic. I know Tails has it in him to do great, but he hasn't been around the community long enough to not make simple mistakes and know every trick in the book with Sonic. However I think with a little bit of more time and a bit of coaching from me he might be able to surpass me one day, I can just feel it. I don't want to say he is my apprentice yet but I'll do what I can to help him get better.

Now I don't know how his side of the bracket went, but as for me the first match I had was against Press22, I never knew who he was until I occasionally saw him a couple of times on the forum, and I didn't expect him to be... him in person... much different than what I expected... but regardless, he has a great Pikachu, just about as good as Z's... although either he's not as good, or I've finally picked up on the MU... because I won the set (hurrah, spoiling suspense!), but man was the set down to the wire.

You all should've seen it, the last match went down on Frigate, and it was close throughout the whole thing with Press seeming like he had the slight edge... at least until it came down to the very least hit, one slip-up on either of our part and it was over, when it came down to it, I had him recovering back to the stage and I was on the edge waiting to see what he would do and react accordingly... I didn't think I would randomly charge a Forward Smash at the edge, have him come down with Pikachu's Thunder, and with a lot of power backing me up I PAWNCHED!!! him, and I screamed "urgraaaaah!!!" while that hit him. My pawnch had so much power behind it that it had whiplash, because the bolt hit me and sent me flying, though not quick and powerful enough to kill me, but I can't say the same about Press who after that was flyin' across the Milky Way.

Man I can't believe how bad I wanted to win that set and every match played, because at times it looked like he ***** a stock and at that rate I had no chance to make it back, but everytime I would make some kind of comeback and bring it back to even if not slightly in my favor. I was so happy to see Tails saw that finale and bare witness to the raep.

The reason why I wanted to win that set was because MikeHAZE would fight the winner. If I won then that would mean not only would I not have to challenge him to a MM, but I can show him that I meant business, no longer was I the Wii-Mote usin' scrubby fanboyish Brawler I was that he wrecked me with MK whorenado back in December. He played a very slow but precise style, moreorless how he does against everybody else, so I don't think he was messin' around but anyway I took him head-on, proud with no regrets about how I performed, knowing that I would be at a severe disadvantage at about 6-4 - 65-35.

With all that said, I lost... barely. I got hit by one too many SHDFFFairs and Dancing Blade SDI is much easier said than done. However I did manage to bring him down to one stock both games... probably much more than what some MKs/pros can say, considering if the Marth boards are right about their 65-35 disadvantage against MK and other pros whose characters go even with Marth.

At this point I'm really starting to see what being a low/mid-tier main is... still, I'm very happy with what I do and how I do, I know d*** well that I could do much better if I didn't stick with Sonic, but I will continue to be the underdog. Malcolm where you at, the whole time I'm still usin' that 3030+ tag, you just be shattin' on peoples' faces, and although that is amazingly hilarious, I want to see some MOAR Sawnik action once again just to know that I'm not somehow gonna end up surpassing the one person that I admired the most when it came to Sonic.

Although we didn't fight in-tourney, let alone complete a whole friendly set, I did get to have one match against Ally. I was tryin' mah best to beat him 'cause apparently Sonic players have some grudge against him and want to take him down and I just wanna be like all the cool kids or something, but that didn't stop me from havin' a good time with him. Ally's also seen the 3030+ tag associated with Sonic before, so I think he knew that I was going after a bounty on his Snake when I wore that tag and that even though it was a friendly I was serious, but oh well, he's escaped... for now. Infzy are you reading this? I'll be the one to avenge you and every other Sonic that has lost to him up until now, if you ever see Ally go to Vegas once again understand that he won't get away Scott-free!

I only wish I was a more experience bounty hunter, for I could only shave off two hairs stocks off his beard... just a little bit more and I could've claimed the reward. Hehe... next time though, Sonic > Snake/Falcon for lyfe.

And for the anti-climatic conclusion!

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!

Duuuuullllllllllllllluuuuuuuuuuunuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I got my @#$% wrecked by Tudor. I want to fight him again, I got hit by so many projectiles/DTilts/Dairs/Zairs, it disgusts me, but Tudor is a beast, I don't know how/why he wants to stick with Powersuit Samus, I bet if he played a better character the game would be over before he even plugged in his controller. Oh well, his reasons are the same as mine for playing Sonic, and like him I'll continue to (try to) do amazing things with my garbage character.

I wish I could've done better against Tudor,but other than that I have never felt better at a tourney... probably because of the venue though, you should've seen the place. On the walls they had Sonic and Co. painted, he was apparently doing a rap battle with Mario, with Luigi and Yoshi as his passie (is that how it's spelt?), and the speech bubbles had it so that Mario got his trash-talk served, and Luigi's response was simply "Oh Dang!" It's funny 'cause he's all hidin' in the back and junk, but it was great. Snake was playing as the DJ for the rap battle, Amy being a b****, more specifically Fox' b****, alongside with Peach (what a *****, amirite? Please don't tell me wh.ore is censored, is it? Baw whatever, just understand it's not the B word.) Donkey Bong was like a security guard, makin' sure that Mario wouldn't be a sore loser and try and start a fight while Sonic is all just being chill and that good stuff. It was legit, he had the suit, and the earpiece to match. All that stuff is now my cellphone wallpaper BTW, I was Not going to not take a picture of it.

Whew, that was long, I can only hope Tails finally makes an account on SWF and give me his perspective, but if not, everyone else needs to know that Vegas has another Knight of the Wind.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Dude, you fought Tudor? That's pretty sweet. Now you know how much work you need to put in to Sonic to get on his level :O

Shugo-Chan

Smash Lord
Actually it was like 95% Sonic and 5% Falco so technically it should be Sonic/Falco. New Vids of both of my chars will be up today O:

sonictailslink

Smash Journeyman
Henderson & Downtown Express, Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Kinzer (by the way, this is Tails).

As Kinzer pointed out that I didn't felt too satisfied with teams because I'm still a n00b in teams. I have the hardest times in teams. I'm still learning how to play in teams and to this date, I haven't won one team set in a tournament. However, I felt that me and Kinzer did a pretty good job overall since it was our first time partnering with each other. Hopefully over time I'll get use to teams and do much better. I just need to practice a lot in teams

When it came to singles with me, my first set was against K9. In our first match, he picked Marth against me and first thing came to my mind is, oh boy. I know that it's a bad match up for Sonic and I still have a lot of trouble fighting a Marth. I was really happy to get 2 stock off of him. For the second match, he picked Ike and I picked Battlefield, which I usually ban that stage, but I felt like taking that risk since I've been practicing on that stage a lot now. I won that one with my last stock. The final match he went Meta Knight on me on Smashville and I two stocked by him.

For my second set I played against Skizo and his Diddy Kong. First match we played on Smashville and I won against him. For the second and last match, he picked final destination. One time I gimped him when he was using his up B to recover back onto the stage and I used a spring against him killing him. He's not a bad Diddy Kong, but he felt easier to play against compare to Patman.

On my last set, I played against Hino. He played as Ike the whole time. The first match he we played on Final Destination and I cant believe I gimped myself on my last stock by using up-B right under the flat part of the stage. On the second match I picked Yoshi's Island as my counterpick stage and I won with my last stock. On the final match, I gimped him with the spring when he tried to recover, but on our last stocks, it was very close, but he killed me with his bair when I was trying to recover. He told me that he felt like he's going to have a heart attack because it was so close.

I felt very satisfied getting 13th place at the tournament yesterday since I still consider myself as a n00b in Brawl and tournaments. If it wasn't for Kinzer's help, I would probably would of ended dead last again in singles or having an 0-2 in the set. Hopefully over time I'll improve. Like Kinzer said, Vegas has another Knight of the Wind.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
G&W is Gay Speed, but moreso in doubles because it's much harder to attack him when he's got somebody else to back him up.

I wouldn't dare try and fight him in a doubles match, I would only do that in singles when nobody but my opponent and I (hard to deal who gets the shorter end of the stick :)) have to suffer, but I won't let my partner go through that, especially not when we play the same character who gets borderline hard-countered by him.

Also Tails, you need to spar my Ike sometime, after a while I don't think you will ever lose to an Ike once we get you conditioned, in fact I did one match against that guy, one stocked him pretty handily, and apparently that was enough to make him CP before I ended the match early to get one friendly in with Ally. You also need to learn how to play on Japes, that is by far one of Ike's worst stages, if you can accomplish that then you will be free to go there whenever you need it, and if they ban that then you'll be able to go to any other CP available.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh and before I forget, I forgot to mention MikeHAZE RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! mode.

It's funny, because he lost to SK92, and then after that he just grabbed his Pink drank and threw it down onto the ground hard, everybody was all quite and junk, I think some even paused their matches to see what was the haps.

I was tempted to yell "f*** 'em up Kyle!" but I dunno, i herd Mike pawnches holes in walls so I didn't want to make him anymore angry than he already was at the time. I don't want him making holes in mah Sawnik wall, that stuff is tight.

It's all good though, he got some paper towels, cleaned up the mess (dat s*** was everywhere!), and doesn't afraid of cooling down right after.

It's funny because I'm namedroppin a buncha n****s and they're probably kill me the next time they see me in-person, I hope Vegas doesn't have another regional/national too soon.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
So was Falco for like one match or what? I'm curious to know what player/character you used Falco against and why :p

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Well technically he doesn't have fur, so... I guess that makes him a feather-***.

Also, gonna have results from ADAT2 after Saturday. Wish me luck, guys.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
So was Falco for like one match or what? I'm curious to know what player/character you used Falco against and why :p

He used Falco against Blue Rogue's Wario in Grand Finals and after he lost to his Wario in a normal set.

Wario is such a pain for Sonic to deal with, I can't even blame him.

Grab to Uthrow, Gee Wario doesn't like being in the air does he? Oh wait, ya he does...

Grab to dthrow? Tech'd FTL

Also, good luck getting that grab when he's jumpin up and doin his little shenanigans.

I fought Shugo's falco a bit. I'd say it's at about Keitaro's level of Falco, He messed up the CG a bit more than Keitaro but he had an easier time getting those middle %'s that Falco has such a tough time getting.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Needz moar F-Throw ITT.

Considering that's your name, you should know what throws are good for! :)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
How else would he kill OS with Bthrow at 90%? It's what he does son, it's in the name!

Top Bottom