• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Act 3 Clear!!: Sonic Tournament Results & Discussion Thread

Life

Smash Hero
1/5 perfect record is still impressive in a round robin; beating four people in a row equals winning a 16-man bracket if I'm doing the math right (sure you're playing the worst players, but you're also playing the best of whoever shows up)

so nice job. shame about attendance tho

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Actually, WINNA did really well. Game 1, PS. He was up on the first stock, 114% to 37%, i missed a really telegraphed grab and at a Dsmash, missed the DI. He grabbed the ledge and stayed there. I laughed at what was going to happen, the ol' True Blue special: HA, xD. Got the stage spike, and he was so mind gamed that i made mincemeat out of him, ended in a mid dmg 2 stock. He then CPd Delphino and D3 on me. It was a low dmg 2 stock. I gave him no opportunities to walk me off.

That whole first stock though, he was getting off. I just adapted and he never did, unfortunately

Ninja Edit: Thanks though, much appreciated. Im really hoping to get the SD crew out to NE so they can gauge their relative skill against a stronger scene, instead of just me being the go-between for both states.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Lol True Blue Special. Any time homing attack kills when it obviously shouldn't lol. I think if I make a combo video it will be just of me hitting and killing with homing attack. On AiB I was doing doubles with Ryo and left by my lonesome and I Homing Attacked Kira, who was put, and I killed him through the ceiling with Homing Attack.
First time I ever saw Homing Attack kill upwards lol

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm gonna wait for the thread to be put up, but I got 7th out of 56 at HOBO 39 this weekend for singles, 5th for doubles out of 20-odd something, and 2nd in mid tier doubles.

It was fun. I was one smash attack/bair away from getting top 5.
Tripping too strong though.:applejack:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Oh, also, I had a tournament here in San Antonio the day before HOBO 39. It was a small thing, but I got first after playing K Prime and Valdens in some sets.

We got top hats. Dapper. :applejack:

Tesh

Smash Hero
zero and i got 17th. I was a bit disappointed, I nearly 2-0d Domo, but the whole set was janky and we both derped hard the first 2 games anyway. I was gonna get 17th anyway if i beat him because id lose to illmatic and slush.

jebus (a new houston sonic) got 49th, but i dont think he visits the boards.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I'll start contributing again with results, but if I continue on, I might submit my results with wins from other characters. I got 3rd, the matches I won from using Sonic, but I almost took a set using Ike, and against Alphicans' Ice Climbers I'd much rather use Snake. Sonic vs. ICs is doable, but when someone like him knows me THAT well? The stress to stay on my toes when all he needs is just ONE grab to end me, not sure if I can keep it up for so long. Freaking had better luck (albeit still lost) against 9B's at APEX when we played a game.

[EDIT]

Also, way to go on 7th, Espy!

Tesh

Smash Hero
Playing Sonic for everything is tough. It feels like I have to play on point even against players "worse" than myself.

I'm not above going MK or Wario to autopilot through a set with more simplicity.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Playing Sonic for everything is tough. It feels like I have to play on point even against players "worse" than myself.

I'm not above going MK or Wario to autopilot through a set with more simplicity.
As it stands right now, the only character I feel I need to use another character is Ice Climbers. Win or lose, I can handle the rest of the roster without feeling I'm facing immense odds. Even Olimar. ... I just have to play really, really, REALLY gay.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Yamcha Sucks! Brawl, P:M, and Melee. 2/24/13, Pensacola FL Results
22 Entrees
4th Chez(AWAL):sonic:
Florida State University Japanease Student Association Tourney 1.25.12​
24 Entrants​
2nd Chez(AWAL) :sonic:
Florida State University Student Life Cinema Tournament 11/17/12​
(Can't find the thread if I made it... do I hafta make the thread?)​
48 Entrants​
1st Chez(AWAL) :sonic:
& Its not that you have to play GAY​
Its that you have to play patient and know WHEN to take the opportunity.​
Sonic is VERY STRESSFUL because your options are pending on the reactions of other players.​

I REALLY feel this way because I was content from day 1 that this would be an issue I would hav eto deal with. Plus I play STRICTLY 4 fun. Granted I do want to win

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Facing Nietono opened my eyes to my weaknesses as a Sonic against Olimar. If an Olimar is playing on-point, you've got no real way of getting in unless predicting shielding/spot dodging. On Battlefield my method revolves to spin-shotting back and forth between platforms and dropping springs. They fall between platforms and cover my descent. If I see an opening, I'll go aggressive, but most of the time I have to resort to letting Olimar try and come to me.

By comparison to Ice Climbers though, I don't feel as though I'll die if I mess up when fighting Olimar.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
WE've all known that Sonic has major disadvantages against many other characters(Lucario, Olimar & Falco) however its all about how we use the Speed & Simplicity 2 our advantage. Then again I probably feel this way because I refuse to use any other character & i haven't traveled as much as I'd like. I've always just considered every matchup besides the one's where we have the obvious advantage to be 80%-20%. Plain & simple we have a few options. We should focus on using those options while throwing in mindgames. Fights are about doing what's obviously going to work vs. knowing when to do the random things(ex: Trublus B or Dark.Illusion.Hokages. DashAUpB or daKIDs Double UpThrow). I'm content with losing with this characters flaws. Unfortunately I just cant travel and play as much as I WANT/NEED 2.

:sonic:

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
^^^ is in the same boat not being able to travel far. The farthest out you'd MAYBE see me is NJ/NY. Though atm the farthest I've traveled for a tourney is CT. Also i should have the results from my tourney from last Saturday. Got 5th place even though it was MK banned :S. Took Bloodcross to game 3 on FD and sd'd 2nd stock costing me a great opportunity to rack in some damage after already being down a stock. -___- But meh, next time i'll just do better.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
I was so upset on my way home from teh Pcola tourney...

I was playing so scared all day...

I lost in LSF rd 3 2 a timeout... on Delfino.

Ghaaaaaaaad daaaaaaaaaaang!!!

:sonic:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
2 saturdays ago I split for first at my own MK banned tourney.

2nd time I banned mk, second time I won. I split with Pikapika, for those of you who couldnt guess that much.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Hosting mine again Saturday. did a couple hrs of friendlies, and when I played sonic, I did the isai "don't get hit" as much as possible. I know im the better player, so I focused on staying as close to 0% first stock as possible. Some games I kept it below 100 and got the 3 stock. One I took it to 200+ but avoided all kill set ups. I noticed I quickly went back to Bair walls,strong hit Nairs, and other old school things.

Coupled with my more up to date meta game, im actually going to do some film study tomorrow night on 08/09 sonic stuff, and apply it with a current meta game mindset/my own style, and see how many 3 stock matches I can pull on my tourament Saturday.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Hosting mine again Saturday. did a couple hrs of friendlies, and when I played sonic, I did the isai "don't get hit" as much as possible. I know im the better player, so I focused on staying as close to 0% first stock as possible. Some games I kept it below 100 and got the 3 stock. One I took it to 200+ but avoided all kill set ups. I noticed I quickly went back to Bair walls,strong hit Nairs, and other old school things.

Coupled with my more up to date meta game, im actually going to do some film study tomorrow night on 08/09 sonic stuff, and apply it with a current meta game mindset/my own style, and see how many 3 stock matches I can pull on my tourament Saturday.
You certainly put in a lot more work than I do. All I do is not play this game for about a month at a time and then go to a monthly, sometimes hit up a big tourney in the States.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Hopefully i can try to work something out to try and get me and the rest of RI to go to a big tournament out in like NJ/NY. Now that i'm sponsored, thanks to one of the tournaments organizers we have let us host at his place, i can afford to go JUST about to any tournament as long as i can managed to convince someone to drive me down there and back.

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman

Did that nearly time the other guy out?

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
http://smashboards.com/threads/youre-too-slow-6-sd-monthlies-results.334980/

results

8-0 in brawl/melee
6-0 melee doubles, and 6-1 in brawl doubles (my team mate, no joke, went falco, SideB'd offstage in the first 10 seconds, kept fighting D3 near the edge, got gimped, then LAST stock for D3, he was at 150+ and i said "Hey, stay away, cover me if i get CG'd. He rushes into an uptilt and starts laughing. I narrowly lost and was SALTY, DQ'd him and played the last match on FD, and i won BY MYSELF, it was hilarious)

To answer your question, no, i didnt. I just focused heavily on... "what's safe" so not going for many reads and what i would LIKE to link together, ect. I tried to win the postion and neutral game at ALL times, and it kept me fairly safe/not really campy either. I pushed the offensive when i could, approaching even though i was in the lead, since pressuring him near the ledge is a safe/smart choice.

I was pleased by my play today, just not the turnout. Bought soda and was gonna order pizza and everything :/

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
AGP 1 Bloody Stream, RI
Saturday, March 23
http://smashboards.com/threads/agp-bloody-stream-cumberland-ri-also-project-m.335171/
Singles 7th out of 19:sonic:

Getting better i guess. Beginning to not struggle as much against the top 5 in NE. Manged to nab game 3 vs Hinkage MK on PS1 with only 5 seconds left before he timed me out. I had the % lead the whole game but then as soon as there was like 30 seconds left i acted stupid and tried to just run away from him instead of continuing to play my counter defensive strategy that had helped me keep the lead. Still need some help though with learning how to deal with more aggro MK's defensive ones that spam nado are easy.

i also came in first at a local we had the weekend prior to this one but xavier never posted the results as usual |:/.

Next tournaments back in MA hopefully i can FINALLY take a set off one of the top 5 always get close but drop the ball.

Top Bottom