• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda A Zelda Movie?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Nintendo Power said:
Nintendo Power: If you had more time and an unlimited budget, what else would you do to try to celebrate Zelda's 25th anniversary?

Eiji Aonuma: If what we're really talking about is a sort of a "sky is the limit" approach to things, I always thought it would be really cool to have a real Zelda movie, something really grand and sweeping. But, of course, I have neither the time nor the wherewithal for all that, and even if I did have the money to make such a movie, I don't know if it would turn out well. But there are those days when I fantasize about how cool it would be if something like that would happen sometime in the future.
http://kotaku.com/5829431/zelda-designer-dreams-of-zelda-movie
http://www.videogameadaptations.com/files/2dcf381d12952b36206160e3da578be3-52.html

So there it is. For the first time in recent history (or perhaps ever), the idea of a Zelda movie is being supported by one of its main creators. I always knew Aonuma would be the one to come around and say something of the sort. Keep in mind, absolutely nothing is greenlit. I'm 100% positive that they aren't working on a movie right now. However, that is not to say for the topic's sake we cannot discuss the plausibility of a Zelda movie and what it may entail. Now that you can imagine Aonuma actually contemplating a Zelda movie, what do you think it would be like?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Why would it be based on any one game? Why couldn't it be a new story based on derived elements from the series as a whole?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Well, what would you have with the movie? What would you do if you were in charge of writing the story?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
hM...I would like the sea sailing elements of WW,the storyline of OoT sorta..idk..
I give this post an A+.

Anyways, my personal dream Zelda movie is probably not something most people would want to watch. It would be like Zelda 1. About desolation and desparity and a single tiny being rising up against a world of ruin and corruption, defeating the beast and becoming the Hero.

Nothing more complicated than that. Minimal civilizations, minimal religious backstory, minimal dialogue, minimize everything but the fundamental experience and the sense of a real world. I want to get to know Link without the crutch of expository dialogue.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Link, Zelda, Ganon, Hyrule, Triforce, Master Sword, adventure.

Haha no, there's A LOT more to it.

:phone:

Edit: LT is right though. Minimal dialog between Link and others. I'll have to post more once I get home.

Soldner Kei

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoldnerKei
I think that a Zelda movie would be something between OoT and TP stories, they're the most known zeldas to casual people and explains pretty much about the triforce, hyrule, characters and stuff in both games... plus OoT Bosses>most Zelda bosses, just Imagine Bongo Bongo or Volvagia in CGI

Orboknown

Smash Hero
I give this post an A+.

Anyways, my personal dream Zelda movie is probably not something most people would want to watch. It would be like Zelda 1. About desolation and desparity and a single tiny being rising up against a world of ruin and corruption, defeating the beast and becoming the Hero.

Nothing more complicated than that. Minimal civilizations, minimal religious backstory, minimal dialogue, minimize everything but the fundamental experience and the sense of a real world. I want to get to know Link without the crutch of expository dialogue.
That would work well for me.I could see the dialogue between link and Navi(if navi was in the movie)but not much else.

(cool i got an !+ :D)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Well, in my version there would be no Navi, because this is based on Zelda 1 not OoT.

It's not impossible to make a great story without dialogue. Wall-E did it for almost half of its running time.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Well, in my version there would be no Navi, because this is based on Zelda 1 not OoT.

It's not impossible to make a great story without dialogue. Wall-E did it for almost half of its running time.
Yeah, I agree. If Miyamoto agrees I'm sure he's the kind of man to actually accomplish such a feat.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm thinking that it would be similar to the way that the Prince of Persia did things. Take elements from the game and build an original story around it. IMO it made PoP and entertaining watch and for LoZ it could be the same.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yeah, but they wouldn't have to go the Prince of Persia route and opt for a mediocre movie.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I don't care what it's based off of or if it's completely brand new. I'm sure it would be amazing since the creators themselves would be making it.

I just don't think LoZ is for live-action. It could just be animated CGI like the experience demo on the Wii U. The graphics style is up to them, I don't care about that either.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I don't care what it's based off of or if it's completely brand new. I'm sure it would be amazing since the creators themselves would be making it.

I just don't think LoZ is for live-action. It could just be animated CGI like the experience demo on the Wii U. The graphics style is up to them, I don't care about that either.
Nintendo isn't going to make it, IF it ever even happens. Why would game developers direct/produce a live action motion picture?

Orboknown

Smash Hero
I don't care if it's in a full movie,But i want to see the Ganondorf/Castle Escape/Ganon battle from OoT in cinematic form.

Spire

III
BRoomer
It better not be. Make it awesome in its own merit, but keep it away from the continuity of the games.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah, but they wouldn't have to go the Prince of Persia route and opt for a mediocre movie.
I don't know, I personally think that PoP is the best video game movie I've seen (okay, that's not saying much, and it is a pretty overwhelmingly average film) but I think it did get a lot of things right.

As I said, rather than copy and paste the game verbatim into cinematic form they took elements from the game and made an original story based around it. Just so long as you get someone who loves the games to write the story then it has the potential to be a good movie.

Oh, and throwing out little references to various games from the franchise was another neat thing they did in PoP.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I don't think a Zelda movie should be based on any one game at all, or any one game primarily. I think the entire series is ripe with content worth borrowing. The movie would have to be named "The Legend of Zelda", but reflect everything the series encompasses canonically. I'd hate if the movie was "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time", a story loosely based on our beloved OoT with elements from other games.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
At first I thought I'd like to see it heavily rooted with OoT elements, but then I realized that it would be recived pretty badly for not being canon. The plot should be fresh, so that the fans don't get there expectations up too high. Lets be honest, OoT in movie form would not flow very well, especially trying to incorporate temples, it'd either make the movie way too long, or be a disservice to many major concepts.

That's a very generous description of Zelda 1. I wouldn't mistake the series's newness for any deeper meanings. There wasn't very much to Zelda 1 because it was the first game and the creators were still trying to find what exactly they wanted to do with the game. Every game after it moved more toward the opposite of desolation. There never was disparity to begin with. Link was never pictured as a tiny being, though he could be viewed that way. Not that your view of a hypothetical movie wouldn't be good, just your description doesn't strike me a "Zelda". Sounds more like Metroid.

I agree with everything except the red. Dialogue is not a crutch. Assuming that the master sword is in the movie (which it should be) there will need to be a lot of dialogue involving how Link will get it. There's necessary dialogue for understanding Ganondorf's plot through out the movie. Ganondorf should be a very talkative character. Zelda (for a reason I'll post soon) should be the most talkative of them all. Idk, maybe there's just a preferential difference, but there's nothing I hate more than an underdeveloped story, and you really can't develop a story without dialogue.

The main thing which above all should not happen are over-emphasis on temples and Zelda being kidnapped. Zelda games normally have very many temples, but trying to expose any more than 2-3 of them in one movie would be too much. No one wants to see link run around in 8 temples for 2 hours.

On the other note, I'd stop watching the movie entirely if Zelda gets kidnapped. It's a terrible plot device and I wouldn't be able to take it seriously. The main objective of the story should not be "rescue the princess." Personally, I'd like to see Zelda adventure with Link. It'd open up the possibility of a romance (which I personally wouldn't like) and would also make it easier to incorporate other races without basing too much of the storyline on them (hence the reason why she'd be talkative, she'd do most of the talking.)

Overall, the prospect of a Zelda movie scares me simply because Link never speaks, and he definitely shouldn't just for a movie. It's hard to make a movie where everyone except the main character talks, and it's even harder to do justice to the Zelda series without dialogue. Majora's Mask would be an excellent movie though.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
At first I thought I'd like to see it heavily rooted with OoT elements, but then I realized that it would be recived pretty badly for not being canon. The plot should be fresh, so that the fans don't get there expectations up too high. Lets be honest, OoT in movie form would not flow very well, especially trying to incorporate temples, it'd either make the movie way too long, or be a disservice to many major concepts.

That's a very generous description of Zelda 1. I wouldn't mistake the series's newness for any deeper meanings. There wasn't very much to Zelda 1 because it was the first game and the creators were still trying to find what exactly they wanted to do with the game. Every game after it moved more toward the opposite of desolation. There never was disparity to begin with. Link was never pictured as a tiny being, though he could be viewed that way. Not that your view of a hypothetical movie wouldn't be good, just your description doesn't strike me a "Zelda". Sounds more like Metroid.
Zelda 1 has like 5-6 NPCs, all spread amongst the world hidden in caves and holes in the ground. Everything else is a monster. That is pretty lonely and desolate to me. I don't really believe in authorial intent, so I generally do not consider what the developers were intending to do. And it's not like it was a hardware limitation, as Zelda 2 has more towns than any of the other games in the series.

What I'm saying is I want a movie that doesn't have the decades of baggage that the series has accumulated since the original. It may not be very "Zelda" in terms of the series as a whole, but I would love the hell out of a completely back to fundamentals approach. Use the archetype nature of Zelda 1 to make something revolutionary for cinema in the same way the game was to gaming.

That's a total pipe dream though.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Zelda is not about war. War has happened in the series, but have we ever experienced it first hand in any one game? No. It would be a misrepresentation.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Personally I think a Zelda movie could turn out if they made it CGI and Link didn't ****ing talk.

Also one of my pet peeves is American accents in ancient sorts of settings, and it's pretty much what turns me off western RPGs (especially when they attempt an English accent in this really lame way).

It's why I preferred Fable to Elder Scrolls, and it's why I put up with how **** Fable 2 was (haven't played Fable 3).

Spire

III
BRoomer
If I made a Zelda movie they would all speak in Hylian, a foreign language to everyone on Earth. It would be subtitled. Link would talk enough.

Mercurium

Smash Rookie
I think it would be REALLY hard to capture the Zelda essence in a movie.
Agreed. To me, Zelda has always been the immersion, the ability to feel the world the designers have created for you, and I don't think a movie would be able replicate that feeling. And whereas other games have much larger overworlds than Zelda, Hyrule always had a feeling of vastness to it that would be restricted in a movie, without the freedom to exlpore and interact you have in a video game.

Prodigy3

Smash Rookie
Personally I think a Zelda movie could turn out if they made it CGI and Link didn't ****ing talk.

Also one of my pet peeves is American accents in ancient sorts of settings, and it's pretty much what turns me off western RPGs (especially when they attempt an English accent in this really lame way).

It's why I preferred Fable to Elder Scrolls, and it's why I put up with how **** Fable 2 was (haven't played Fable 3).
Fable 3 was just as bad probably worse lol, also I'd love to see a volvagia or a ganon battle in CGI, and as soon as link started to talk I would stop the movie and shoot the screen >.>

:phone:

Top Bottom