• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A video on why Sonic is the glitchiest character in the game.

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
Nice vid. Although it explains why the glitches happen, it doesn't explain why Sonic is the glitchiest character! I expected a full essay on it. >:[

Nah I'm just messing, that was cool. I didn't know about the ladder nor the dash part.

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
all those glitches are probably caused bc they sort of rushed SONIC into Brawl at the last cuple months....

Browny

Smash Hater
i really dont understand why people think sonic was rushed in. if anyone was rushed, it was snake. god knows how not once in thier playtesting, they didnt notice his utilt hitting 3m in front of him, and his jab hitting behind him

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
i really dont understand why people think sonic was rushed in. if anyone was rushed, it was snake. god knows how not once in thier playtesting, they didnt notice his utilt hitting 3m in front of him, and his jab hitting behind him
The following post isn't a "flame", just a, well, flame.

You clearly don't understand fighting games and/or (probably and) the development of a metagame.

Brawl is new, your a scrub, there are ways around his ftilt, no johns, Sonic was the last character added, so, yeah, you = scrub

Tenki

Smash Hero
Sonic's jab hits behind him too. But it's small so people don't notice :3

The video explains not why they happen (though I'm pretty sure I understand how the 'air trip' works, and the ladder thing), and I have a suspicion that side-B's invincibility/dodge frames (I think dodge frames + attack hitbox = 'priority frames') getting instacancelled on the floor is related to why he teleports.

Or it could be debug mode. Sonic 3 style.

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
Sonic's jab hits behind him too. But it's small so people don't notice :3

The video explains not why they happen
But but, the thread is called "A video on why Sonic is the glitchiest character in the game"!?

Okay I'm over it, haha. xD

Tenki back me up dammit
I'll back ya up. Haha stoopid n00b. Sometimes attacks larger than possible hit boxes, Smash games aren't trying to be "real" >.>

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
I know smash ist about being real like the guy 2 post head of this one said, but SNAKE´S up tilt is just rediculous , but everyone just has to deal with it bc thats how the game is ..... I know i have..

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I know smash ist about being real like the guy 2 post head of this one said, but SNAKE´S up tilt is just rediculous , but everyone just has to deal with it bc thats how the game is ..... I know i have..
Yeah it is pretty rediculous :D

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Memphis has played TWEWY and liked it.

Theory on Snake's jab: Simply put originally when they were developing Snake, they had created a hitbox for him so that the jab would hit characters like Olimar (unless they crouch). however because the animation also affects the hitbox, this caused the hitbox to extend further and cover part of his back as well.

This can be seen with Sonic as he jabs since his leg sticks out behind him as he jabs and causes the hitbox to extend.

Now concerning Snake's Ftilt and Utilt.
Most likely there was a different animation used previously. Probably Snake was either holding something or he extended himself more greatly. Probably they thought it awkward and replaced the animation. However because they didn't test properly the game is probably using both animations.

This would explain the invisible hitbox.
Otherwise Snake's hurtbox would have extended as well.
So the animation we see dictates the intended hitbox/hurtbox while the old animation (that we don't see) extends the range but doesn't dictate the hitbox.

So rather than the 180 leg spread that Snake uses as his Utilt (which we see), he probably used something if a simply high kick into the air. With the first one we see dictating hitbox and hurtbox and the one we don't see dictating purely hitbox without extending the hurtbox.

Or it was just shoddy programming.

I am more for the first one though since programmers tend to leave things in rather than remove them. (though in this case they must have forgotten to lock it or though they had and didn't notice).

The third option is that they are ***holes.

NNID
MasterHavik
The following post isn't a "flame", just a, well, flame.

You clearly don't understand fighting games and/or (probably and) the development of a metagame.

Brawl is new, your a scrub, there are ways around his ftilt, no johns, Sonic was the last character added, so, yeah, you = scrub
Now, that wasn't nice. Anyway, I saw the vid and I have to say yeah he is one undoen character. But my questions is from all the stuff you show. Can anyone of these tricks help us in high level play?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Not really, the air trip glitch will never ever be a positive thing. What could you possibly get out of it? And the side b all it does is make you warp which is also usless. These glitches most likely won't help sonic at all in his game play.

Raiderwarlord99

Smash Cadet
My friend told me about the side b glitch & I was hoping there was a way to throw it in Sonic's metagame but I guess not. Oh well. Maybe Sonic will get a cool wavedash all of his own that'll make him even faster in the future.

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
has anyone else made a custom stage just for those glitchs and played a sonic ditto on it is really fun

Top Bottom