• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 A thank you and an apology and a misunderstanding

• Thread starter Deleted member 212841
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 212841

I'm not quite sure if a thread is entirely appropriate for it but it's something that a some others and I have found extremely bothersome so I wanted to try to see what the general community thinks and see if we can do a little something about it.

Anyways, to the point, I feel that question asked during the round table where somebody, idk who, asked if he could fight Sakurai and, if he won, if he could balance the characters instead of him. I feel like this was extremely insulting and damaging for the image Sakurai may have of others who are interested in a deep and balanced game but aren't nearly as arrogant about it.

I was wondering what you guys felt about continuing that #thankyounintendo that's been tweeted already for the invitational and add an apology to it this time around for the insult of the reporter on the behalf of the community.

EDIT: Turns out the question was asked completely jokingly and the response was in the same light-hearted context, so :]

Last edited by a moderator:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
For some reason people liked and upvoted the comments of him balancing the game instead of Sakurai if he beat him at a game when in reality, he was being an ass to Sakurai.

Dunno why people hate Sakurai for his response when the initial question is loaded and rude.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
It's was straight up disrespectful. Sakurai handled it perfectly.

A thank you Sakurai thing would be neat. Poor guy is giving us smash and is pouring hours into making it the best he can, even though his health isn't too good.

Kokusho

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Sakurai on that point, the guy was rude and full of himself.

But only on that point, unfortunatly.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
The guy who did that should tweet an apology in Japanese (don't ask me how) to Sakurai.

One individual in a crowd never represents an entire community, it's always been a round table of sorts. Nobody here should be liable for the ill/poorly made comment of another; who wasn't professional.

And quite frankly, there was a million other formal/friendly ways to ask him about balance. Sakurai isn't some kid that is in your calculus class in college or a kid that plays baseball with you in the park; he's a grown adult that got into the industry at the wee age of 19. After all he's been through, like any professional developer in Japan: he deserves a bit more respect don't you think?

There's an old saying out there, and excuse me for my vulgarity

"talk ****, get hit"

If he didn't expect a response like that from Sakurai, I don't know what else to say. Thank heavens this was Sakurai and not Hideki Kamiya; that would've been a complete embarrassment. Just imagine the response

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
People like this are the reason people don't take the competitive scene seriously.

"Lol, you're competitive? One of you idiots thought that you could do a better job then Sakurai! LOLOLOLOLOL!"

This... Has already happened to me. Holy heck, I hate the elitism going around the competitive smash community. I decided to get good mostly just to shut those zealots up.

D

Deleted member 212841

One individual in a crowd never represents an entire community, it's always been a round table of sorts. Nobody here should be liable for the ill/poorly made comment of another; who wasn't professional.
Which is exactly why I feel the community taking on the responsibility would send a positive message.

Hyruleslink

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai should find this kid's Wii U & 3DS IP and lock him from playing Smash Bros at all. Ever again. Banned for life.

Every time he fires up his Wii U or 3DS and tries to play Smash it should say: "You don't make games."

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
People like this are the reason people don't take the competitive scene seriously.

"Lol, you're competitive? One of you idiots thought that you could do a better job then Sakurai! LOLOLOLOLOL!"

This... Has already happened to me. Holy heck, I hate the elitism going around the competitive smash community. I decided to get good mostly just to shut those zealots up.
http://projectmgame.com/en/

Back on topic: Yeah, I was offended that someone asked such a rude question. That person right now is basically our unofficial spokesman for our community, and he made us look like complete assholes.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
http://projectmgame.com/en/

Back on topic: Yeah, I was offended that someone asked such a rude question. That person right now is basically our unofficial spokesman for our community, and he made us look like complete *******s.
People tend to not count that for obvious reasons, mostly because of the reason it was made in the first place.

But yes, back on topic.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I freaking loved Sakurai's response to that ignorant comment. I feel sorry for Sakurai.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Sakurai's response was badass but I agree the question was super disrespectful, especially to the guy who does so much work on the game personally. If someone who could contact Sakurai more directly could send a brief, simple apology from the community I'd be all for that.

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
I still think that Sakurai response was bad... but i think he deservas an apology anyway.

Just anybody tweet him a message with a translator to Japanese saying that we are sorry for that attitude of that individual. regards the smash community (as bad as it can be the translator, something should be translated right, like the i'm sorry). Then we just retweet/fav it until infinity. That's the best we can do.

Gust14

Smash Apprentice
what? I understand your opinion of that dudes response being rude and out of place, but as someone already said an individual dosent represent a whole community, why should we apologize for something we didnt do? also we dont owe anything to sakuray, we buy the games he makes and thats it, get over it

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I would of been amazing if the one who said that was m2k because he's trying to make games.

Anyways yes it was a super rude thing to ask but there is some truth behind it. Because Sakurai doesn't play smash on a competitive level there are things he doesn't know to know which means he cannot balance it perfectly. Now saying that random competitive smasher X could do a better job is a huge stretch as Sakurai pointed out that there more to game balance then just a deep understand of game mechanics, once again there's things we don't know to know.

What I'm trying to get at is Sakurai need our help to make a balance fighter and neither side can do it alone.

Last edited:

Defile

Smash Apprentice
The question itself was disrespectful, but quite honestly, Sakurai deserves the disrespect. He does not know how to make a competitive, balanced fighting game and he himself has shown an incredible amount of disregard towards the competitive community. I lost a ton of respect for him when I found out that Meta Knight is his favorite character, which explains why he is such a broken character in Brawl. Making your favorite character by far the best in a game is unprofessional. Also, I just found out that Pikachu's quick attack cancel technique will not be returning in SSB4. That really ticks me off.

Sakurai does not deserve an apology.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
what? I understand your opinion of that dudes response being rude and out of place, but as someone already said an individual dosent represent a whole community, why should we apologize for something we didnt do? also we dont owe anything to sakuray, we buy the games he makes and thats it, get over it
I came here to say this, basically, but thanking Nintendo and Sakurai is never a bad thing.

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
The question itself was disrespectful, but quite honestly, Sakurai deserves the disrespect. He does not know how to make a competitive, balanced fighting game and he himself has shown an incredible amount of disregard towards the competitive community. I lost a ton of respect for him when I found out that Meta Knight is his favorite character, which explains why he is such a broken character in Brawl. Making your favorite character by far the best in a game is unprofessional. Also, I just found out that Pikachu's quick attack cancel technique will not be returning in SSB4. That really ticks me off.

um....? Sakurai has and appears to be doing things in this game already for the competitive community, as well as the casual audience. Also, its kind of weird that a Pikachu technique being removed appears as a point to why Sakurai deserves disrespect

Last edited:

Defile

Smash Apprentice
um....? Sakurai has and appears to be doing things in this game already for the competitive community,
Such as?

Also, removing the quick attack cancel is a huge blow to the Pikachu metagame. There was no good reason to remove it.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

His favorite character is Ganondorf, by the way.

D

Deleted member 212841

I'm not saying we should do this. (should in the sense of obligated) It's just a nice thing we could do to show we appreciate what he's done for us and that we don't share the same negative, arrogant viewpoint on the hard work he's accomplished.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
I asked the question to Sakurai after he acknowledged me in the audience with one of the invitational character placards (ZSS) and Toronto Joe who was next to me had already asked the major question we both wanted to know the answer to (what are his plans for the future of competitive Smash, to which he said that's mostly up to Nintendo). it was asked in good fun and he responded in the same way, then at the end I asked if we could play anyway. He said he'd think about it, which was funny and nice. The vibe was all positive and not rude at all, I did it to see how he'd respond and in a polite way. There's a vid somewhere.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

So the only competitive Smash game is Project M then?

D

Deleted member 212841

I asked the question to Sakurai after he acknowledged me in the audience with one of the invitational character placards (ZSS) and Toronto Joe who was next to me had already asked the major question we both wanted to know the answer to (what are his plans for the future of competitive Smash, to which he said that's mostly up to Nintendo). it was asked in good fun and he responded in the same way, then at the end I asked if we could play anyway. He said he'd think about it, which was funny and nice. The vibe was all positive and not rude at all, I did it to see how he'd respond and in a polite way. There's a vid somewhere.
Ah, I'm really sorry about that. I had no idea it was asked in a joking manner.

nessokman

Smash Lord
@ Max Ketchum Max Ketchum

I almost wanted Sakurai to accept your challenge.that would have been the best beat down since the Wombo combo. Sakurai would have gone beast mode.However, Sakurai has that tendinitis issue, so.....

Last edited:

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
So it was a simple joke between Juice.doom and Sakurai that got blown up by the usual uppity Nintendo fanboys? how surprising!

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
I think Sakurai understands that one person doesn't necessarily speak for an entire community. Remember that he just came from viewing the invitational tournament and he said he was very impressed with the passion of the community.

If Sakurai were to take the views of an individual as a community's view, then he wouldn't be implementing any online functionality rather than applying a set of rules that can ban individuals from playing should those rules be broken.

Edit: I just saw the video of the question being asked. I can tell that the question was asked in a jokingly manner.

Last edited:

Vital Tundra

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vital Tundra
3DS FC
1848-2159-5405
Yeah after seeing the video its clear its light hearted, but still true. Video game development is not so simple, and Sakurai is an industry vet, and a talented one at that. Not to mention the rest of the staff, that are also experienced.

Last edited:

Reader

Smash Apprentice
FileCabinet24 said:
Sakurai claims that he doesn't have favourites. Source:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...-gamepad-screen-not-heavily-utilized-new-ssb/

I haven't played the demo, but I heard that Pikachu's quick attack can change direction three times in the air. I'm not competitive player, so I cant say if this is fair trade-off, but it's something.

Vital Tundra

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vital Tundra
3DS FC
1848-2159-5405

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

"Have you ever made a game?"

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Sakurai is not out for the competive community, in fact, he's doing just the opposite. He's trying to caster to us, and just becausethe Alpha Version of the game was a little glitchy, and had some obvious problems does not give anyon the right to bash him. He's trying so freaking hard guys, give him a little slack.

For all we know, the ajustments in the final version will make SSB4 better than Melee ever was, so just keep your mind open.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The Wii U game had two major glitches in the Treehouse Stream yesterday:

-When one Sudden Death started, the camera stuck to the very middle of the stage and didn't follow the two fighters at all.
-The game randomly crashed.

So yeah, this game is not finished yet, a lot could be refined for release.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909

Dax

Smash Journeyman
Here Juice.Doom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kb_qCZGU1Y#t=2877
Hope it helps, honestly I was feeling exactly like you guys were saying before I saw this video.
It was really friendly from both parts.
LOL at this thread's overreactions. Everyone was laughing.
He sounds a bit annoying when he says "can we play anyway" but I really have nothing to thank Sakurai. He's not making a game for the fans, he's making a product that he wants to sell and has his idea about how to achieve this.

Sakurai is not out for the competive community, in fact, he's doing just the opposite. He's trying to caster to us
I'm yet to see any proof of that whatsoever, sorry. NOA organizing the tournament and Sakurai giving his Okay is one thing. But as he said he was NOT involved in it. He doesn't really care.

For all we know, the ajustments in the final version will make SSB4 better than Melee ever was, so just keep your mind open.
=|
good lord

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom