• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 A thank you and an apology and a misunderstanding

• Thread starter Deleted member 212841
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I think this thread is blown out of proportion. It's a harmless comment a bit of a jab at Sakurai but Sakurai you know being a grown man, responded equally flippant and put him in his place. At the end of the day I doubt Sakurai would even give him a second thought. We as a community don't need to own up and apologize for every for every person who takes a shot at the man making the game we would be doing it till the end of time if that was the case.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It was a rude question, sure.
And Sakurai handled that perfectly.

But eh, he was just one jerk. I know the competitive community isn't all like that and he was just one of the few who are.
It wasn't much of a big deal. Annoying, sure, but annoying in the same way as a fly buzzing around my ears.

The question itself was disrespectful, but quite honestly, Sakurai deserves the disrespect. He does not know how to make a competitive, balanced fighting game and he himself has shown an incredible amount of disregard towards the competitive community. I lost a ton of respect for him when I found out that Meta Knight is his favorite character, which explains why he is such a broken character in Brawl. Making your favorite character by far the best in a game is unprofessional. Also, I just found out that Pikachu's quick attack cancel technique will not be returning in SSB4. That really ticks me off.

Sakurai does not deserve an apology.
I want to deliver a punch so profound right now that the bruise you would get from it would be genetically passed down from parent to child for generations to come.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
It was a rude question, sure.
And Sakurai handled that perfectly.

But eh, he was just one jerk. I know the competitive community isn't all like that and he was just one of the few who are.
It wasn't much of a big deal. Annoying, sure, but annoying in the same way as a fly buzzing around my ears.
"Jerk"? Did you even read the whole thread?

I asked the question to Sakurai after he acknowledged me in the audience with one of the invitational character placards (ZSS) and Toronto Joe who was next to me had already asked the major question we both wanted to know the answer to (what are his plans for the future of competitive Smash, to which he said that's mostly up to Nintendo). it was asked in good fun and he responded in the same way, then at the end I asked if we could play anyway. He said he'd think about it, which was funny and nice. The vibe was all positive and not rude at all, I did it to see how he'd respond and in a polite way. There's a vid somewhere.
Did you just completely ignore this post that reveals that it was all just a joke?

Seriously, this fanbase.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
"Jerk"? Did you even read the whole thread?

Did you just completely ignore this post that reveals that it was all just a joke?

Seriously, this fanbase.
Wow, I completely missed that. I've not been able to get sleep and I slip up sometimes.

"Seriously, this fanbase."
No, don't be like that. Haha. I missed the post, oops. My mistake. Jesus.
Seriously.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Wow, I completely missed that. I've not been able to get sleep and I slip up sometimes.

"Seriously, this fanbase."
No, don't be like that. Haha. I missed the post, oops. My mistake. Jesus.
Seriously.
Ah, sleep deprivation. Much more understandable of a reason.

I sincerely apologize. Sorry.

SDCBJR3

Smash Rookie
EDIT: Turns out the question was asked completely jokingly and the response was in the same light-hearted context, so :]
Some people are still angry, LOL. Anyways, you guys seem to have this misconception that you owe Sakurai and Nintendo. Please wake up and realize that they are a company and not your friend. The invitational was an advertisement for the game, not a present. We have no reason to be grateful. They make games, we buy them, they get paid. It's their job. It's not our job to be grateful.

EDIT: The two people who were still angry used the exact same excuse. LOL :chuckle:

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
No, but unlike Sakurai I'm not a professional game developer who is supposed to know what he is doing. Try again.
And he does know what he is doing. No 30+ character fighter is going to be perfectly balanced. It's impossible.

Besides, he's clearly stated that he doesn't want the game to be completely about hardcore competition, he's not catering it to you exclusively. He likely doesn't balance the game around 1v1 no item play as much as FFA all items play anyway.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
No, but unlike Sakurai I'm not a professional game developer who is supposed to know what he is doing. Try again.
Then, adapt. In the Treehouse stream for Smash, Pikachu used Quick Attack and had three branches of it in succession. There will be small changes to every character and you haven't seen all of them yet. Pikachu could turn out to be very good.

I main Wario in Brawl and will continue to do so in Smash 4. If anything about him is changed that thus changes my playstyle, I'll adapt and change. If you like a character that much, you will too.

And don't forget, without Sakurai, there would be no Smash.

Mike_Tha_Hero

Smash Cadet
NNID
mikexxieaf
He's doing damage control now but in my heart of hearts I think he was at least half serious with that question.

Signia

Smash Lord
I'm not quite sure if a thread is entirely appropriate for it but it's something that a some others and I have found extremely bothersome so I wanted to try to see what the general community thinks and see if we can do a little something about it.

Anyways, to the point, I feel that question asked during the round table where somebody, idk who, asked if he could fight Sakurai and, if he won, if he could balance the characters instead of him. I feel like this was extremely insulting and damaging for the image Sakurai may have of others who are interested in a deep and balanced game but aren't nearly as arrogant about it.

I was wondering what you guys felt about continuing that #thankyounintendo that's been tweeted already for the invitational and add an apology to it this time around for the insult of the reporter on the behalf of the community.

EDIT: Turns out the question was asked completely jokingly and the response was in the same light-hearted context, so :]
Stop using that obnoxious purple text, you're not cool or unique, just hard to read.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
Lol, there are still little kids who don't understand that Sakurai is not obligated to make his casual party game a competitive fighter just because 1% of the community plays it competitively.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
I want to deliver a punch so profound right now that the bruise you would get from it would be genetically passed down from parent to child for generations to come.
Sadly, I agree with the guy you quoted. Smash 4 looks like donkey diharrea. Have fun playing it.

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
In all honesty It does not matter if it was in a joking manner, its manners 101 not to make a joke that could come off as disrespectful to a superior or a stranger, only someone you know on a personal level. I still think the question was rude (though if a full understanding was met an apology is unnecessary) and it could have easily been taken the wrong way. The Japanese take there jobs very seriously and to say if he wins can he help balance the game makes it sound as if he thinks the game looks unbalanced and is in need of outside help (which it is not). Another problem I have is that people say that Sakurai is unable to make a competitive game, when it is in fact the opposite. I am sure he is capable of making a game that is competitive but he is not worried about making one. He's obviously more focused on other parts of the game than to worry about making a game competitive, he gave you for glory with your FD styled maps and no items, why worry about the other things the game is not so unbalanced that one fighter has an advantage over another. The mode is a level playing field that leaves it up to you the player to showcase your own skill to adapt and win. He does not need to change anything else with the game, it is balanced fine, no one character is at anymore of an advantage than another, if you can't make it work than it is you who is lacking in skill not Sakurai lacking in ability to make a game.

Defile

Smash Apprentice
Lol, there are still little kids who don't understand that Sakurai is not obligated to make his casual party game a competitive fighter just because 1% of the community plays it competitively.
I never said that Sakurai was obligated to make a competitive fighter instead of a casual party game, but anyone who enjoys a casual party game more than a competitive fighter can't call himself or herself a serious smasher. That's why I am disappointed in Sakurai's decisions. Also, what do you even mean "1% of the community that plays it competitively"? So the 99% of people who play the game once per month with their wiimotes are part of a coherent "community"? You humor me.

SDCBJR3

Smash Rookie
In all honesty It does not matter if it was in a joking manner, its manners 101 not to make a joke that could come off as disrespectful to a superior or a stranger, only someone you know on a personal level. I still think the question was rude (though if a full understanding was met an apology is unnecessary) and it could have easily been taken the wrong way. The Japanese take there jobs very seriously and to say if he wins can he help balance the game makes it sound as if he thinks the game looks unbalanced and is in need of outside help (which it is not). Another problem I have is that people say that Sakurai is unable to make a competitive game, when it is in fact the opposite. I am sure he is capable of making a game that is competitive but he is not worried about making one. He's obviously more focused on other parts of the game than to worry about making a game competitive, he gave you for glory with your FD styled maps and no items, why worry about the other things the game is not so unbalanced that one fighter has an advantage over another. The mode is a level playing field that leaves it up to you the player to showcase your own skill to adapt and win. He does not need to change anything else with the game, it is balanced fine, no one character is at anymore of an advantage than another, if you can't make it work than it is you who is lacking in skill not Sakurai lacking in ability to make a game.
So my lack of skill is the reason I can't wavedash in SSB4? My lack of skill is the reason I can't L-cancel in SSB4? It's not that Sakurai removed these from the game, It's my fault for not having any skill? k :chuckle:

I never said that Sakurai was obligated to make a competitive fighter instead of a casual party game, but anyone who enjoys a casual party game more than a competitive fighter can't call himself or herself a serious smasher. That's why I am disappointed in Sakurai's decisions. Also, what do you even mean "1% of the community that plays it competitively"? So the 99% of people who play the game once per month with their wiimotes are part of a coherent "community"? You humor me.
Exactly what I was thinking when I read his post. :grin:

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
So my lack of skill is the reason I can't wavedash in SSB4? My lack of skill is the reason I can't L-cancel in SSB4? It's not that Sakurai removed these from the game, It's my fault for not having any skill? k :chuckle:

No it is your lack of skill for not being able to adapt to not having such abilities, no one needs those things to be good at smash do they?

Last edited:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222

Sakurai wouldn't view the whole competitive smash community in a different light, based on said comment. But it's nice to hear that the dude did in fact apologize.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
I'm happy it was all in good fun but I hate that some of you say sakurai deserved it just because Smash 4 is like brawl and doesn't have your precious wavedashing in it. Am I sad that quick attack cancel is gone, yes I am. Was I expecting the game to be faster, yes. However, it's a new smash and from the looks of things, you still need to hit your opponent out of a box so they go boom and lose a life. It's still smash and it's not gonna be here tomorrow in exactly the same fashion you've seen over the past few days. There's still quite a while before the game comes out. Wasn't brawl basically Melee 2.0 when it was demo'd?

That question still felt kinda loaded though. Sakurai's response was kinda boss to be honest. I heard yesterday that Sakurai said this but didn't get the full story and though that he was being a major ****. Glad to see I was wrong. Faith in Sakurai, RESTORED!

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
The question itself was disrespectful, but quite honestly, Sakurai deserves the disrespect. He does not know how to make a competitive, balanced fighting game and he himself has shown an incredible amount of disregard towards the competitive community. I lost a ton of respect for him when I found out that Meta Knight is his favorite character, which explains why he is such a broken character in Brawl. Making your favorite character by far the best in a game is unprofessional. Also, I just found out that Pikachu's quick attack cancel technique will not be returning in SSB4. That really ticks me off.

Sakurai does not deserve an apology.
He deserves disrespect? Are you kidding me? Where's the dislike option for this post? You understand he's not looking to make this game a competitive fighter, right? He wants to appeal to everyone. That's what a good person of business does. Melee's competitive value was an accident. He never intended to make smash bros a hardcore fighting game. We the players made it competitive. Melee just so happened to a have a lot of depth to it, far more than any other smash game. And what's astounding is that you say this the day after the smash bros invitational. Nintendo did that for us. I thought it was the greatest thing ever. I didn't give 2 ****s that they played with items on. Just seeing Nintendo organize something for their fans put a big smile on my face.

My point is saying someone that doesn't deserve respect because you don't agree with their gameplay designs is just blowing things out of proportion. Don't be a D-bag like that asshole who was rude to Sakurai.

If Sakurai was secretly really hardcore at smash, I would've loved to see him accept that challenge and play as freaking Jigglypuff and 3-stock that **** head making him cry.

SDCBJR3

Smash Rookie
No it is your lack of skill for not being able to adapt to not having such abilities, no one needs those things to be good at smash do they?
Everyone including me adapted to the lack of these abilities fine in SSBB, but the game was less fun because of it.

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Everyone including me adapted to the lack of these abilities fine in SSBB, but the game was less fun because of it.
Fun is subjective, you and your friends may not have liked it but others may have gotten along fine.

HappyHouseSpider

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone see this edit? That means take your hatred, elitism, or any other hate-talk, and put it inside a tiny box, then set it on fire with the same flames of its own.

Or do I have to compile evidence that a joke in this context is actually complimenting Sakurai?

HappyHouseSpider

Smash Apprentice
Stop living in a PC (politically correct) world. There's no harm or fowl in making a joke, even if they really believed that somehow they could balance these characters better than the man himself, in spite of having zero experience in the gaming industry. And to top it off, their comedic skill is akin to that level. Therefore you have to be able tell that this guy was making fun of themselves, while inadvertently compliment Sakurai.

No more hate, please.

D

Deleted member

Curious, but are you trying to make the text hard to read to test if I would respond to an apparent serious response with a serious response? ;)
No, but it obviously isn't a serious response. Originally the text wasn't there, but I added it in case someone took it the wrong way.

HappyHouseSpider

Smash Apprentice
No, but it obviously isn't a serious response. Originally the text wasn't there, but I added it in case someone took it the wrong way.
Is there a reason why you are taking my own serious response with a non-serious response?

Too much drama for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom