• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 A thank you and an apology and a misunderstanding

• Thread starter Deleted member 212841
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyHouseSpider

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai should chop up a Poison Mushroom and slip it in that reporter's soup. Then step on him. :awesome:
See guys? Tough jokes go both ways.

Either accept tough jokes, or remain silent if hatred is your thought incubator.

Last edited:

HappyHouseSpider

Smash Apprentice
I am not angry; I was just joking.
Not you, lol. I know you are. It's how you feel and you were creative about it. I'm just using your joke as a reference to show everyone that there's no harm or fowl in making rough jokes. People have got to stop abusing their Halo shield regeneration, and just take the shots.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Not you, lol. I know you are. It's how you feel and you were creative about it. I'm just using your joke as a reference to show everyone that there's no harm or fowl in making rough jokes. People have got to stop abusing their Halo shield regeneration, and just take the shots.
Ah, I see. I thought as much, but you can never be too careful.

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
I just listened to the audio. The dude might've thought he was being funny but really he came across as obnoxious. There's a reason why the audience erupted after Sakurai's retort and it was because the guy's "joke" made everyone uncomfortable. He was being rude. Next time ask a real question instead of wasting everyone's time with lame attempts at humor.

And as far as posting apology hashtags to twitter for damage control -- No.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Warning Received
I think we need a name for all those people who think Melee/Project M is superior to everything in the world, and that Sakurai is a terrible game developer.

Morons?

Last edited:

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
Yeah that's interesting, it's weird that his favorite character would have been so heavily nerfed in brawl.

SDCBJR3

Smash Rookie
See guys? Tough jokes go both ways.

Either accept tough jokes, or remain silent if hatred is your thought incubator.
This whole misunderstanding happened because sarcasm is hard to understand through text, not just because people can't take tough jokes. I honestly thought that Altais was being serious until reading your conversation with him.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Some people are still angry, LOL. Anyways, you guys seem to have this misconception that you owe Sakurai and Nintendo. Please wake up and realize that they are a company and not your friend.
Speak for yourself. Sakurai and I are BFFs for life! :troll:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I think we need a name for all those people who think Melee/Project M is superior to everything in the world, and that Sakurai is a terrible game developer.

Morons?
How about we all just respect each other's preferences without slinging mud at each other?

Seriously though flame bait posts like these are 100% unnecessary and a clear violation of the global rules. You can get your argument across without attacking an entire fan base.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
How about we all just respect each other's preferences without slinging mud at each other?

Seriously though flame bait posts like these are 100% unnecessary and a clear violation of the global rules. You can get your argument across without attacking an entire fan base.
I apologize.
Just for the record, I was not dissing the attacking Melee fanbase, but rather the ones that are disrespectful and mean. For example, the guy this thread is about.

If you like Melee/Project M more than Brawl or Smash 4, that's OK. I just feel that people shouldn't disrespect the people like Sakurai, who put a lot of effort into making this game the best it can be.
I'm sorry, it just really annoys me when people say that Sakurai sucks as a developer, or start screaming "Brawl 2!".

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
It is hard to have hope from a guy who put tripping in his game and doesn't care about the scene.
- doesn't care about the scene.
- Smash Bros. Invitational.

Explain yourself, please.
Maybe he didn't care about it anno 2008, but we are in 2014, guys. 6 years passed until then. I also made mistakes I wouldn't do again and had way different opinions 6 years ago. He wouldn't make such mistakes again, especially considering he's Japanese, who take this stuff pretty seriously. Brawl 2.0 isn't coming, but Melee 2.0 isn't coming as well. Why? After Melees release, he felt the game was less appealing to casual gamers, so Brawl was made more appealing for them. But as you all should know, the competitive people thought Brawl was flawed because of this. This means, SSB4 will play in a way that the whole fanbase can enjoy it. Or, that's at least how he tries to make it. Even for those desperatly hanging onto Melee, when this game comes out, I'm pretty sure they will at least like it more than they "liked" Brawl. Sakurai and his team are working really, really hard. Also, I want to mention that his hand is in a bad condition from all this work, but he still tries to make this game enjoyable for everyone. He could've just be lazy with his work, release this game, and a lot of people will still buy it - because it's Smash Bros. This is something companies are already doing, just release a new game of a series year for year even if they aren't making any improvements and people will still buy it like crazy!!! If this statement the topic is about wasn't made jokingly, man, I would've been freaked.

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.

Maybe he didn't care about it anno 2008, but we are in 2014, guys. 6 years passed until then. I also made mistakes I wouldn't do again and had way different opinions 6 years ago. He wouldn't make such mistakes again, especially considering he's Japanese, who take this stuff pretty seriously. Brawl 2.0 isn't coming, but Melee 2.0 isn't coming as well. Why? After Melees release, he felt the game was less appealing to casual gamers, so Brawl was made more appealing for them. But as you all should know, the competitive people thought Brawl was flawed because of this. This means, SSB4 will play in a way that the whole fanbase can enjoy it. Or, that's at least how he tries to make it. Even for those desperatly hanging onto Melee, when this game comes out, I'm pretty sure they will at least like it more than they "liked" Brawl. Sakurai and his team are working really, really hard. Also, I want to mention that his hand is in a bad condition from all this work, but he still tries to make this game enjoyable for everyone. He could've just be lazy with his work, release this game, and a lot of people will still buy it - because it's Smash Bros. This is something companies are already doing, just release a new game of a series year for year even if they aren't making any improvements and people will still buy it like crazy!!! If this statement the topic is about wasn't made jokingly, man, I would've been freaked.
But Sakurai doesn't care about the smash scene as he still consider smash to be nothing more then a party game, Nintendo on the other hand does care about the scene.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
I apologize.
Just for the record, I was not dissing the attacking Melee fanbase, but rather the ones that are disrespectful and mean. For example, the guy this thread is about.

If you like Melee/Project M more than Brawl or Smash 4, that's OK. I just feel that people shouldn't disrespect the people like Sakurai, who put a lot of effort into making this game the best it can be.
I'm sorry, it just really annoys me when people say that Sakurai sucks as a developer, or start screaming "Brawl 2!".
You can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Juice Doom a Brawl player? It seems like many people's knee-jerk reaction is to blame the melee scene for his comment, and whether you believe it was inappropriate or not, that's an unfair assumption and sheds unnecessary bad light on us.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I apologize.

That's completely understandable. With a new Smash game around the corner there's bound to be controversial opinions from both sides of the argument, but always remember you don't need to stoop down to their level just to feel like your voice is being heard. If you ever see anyone resorting to ad-hominem or any form of flaming just hit the report button and a mod will deal with them.

This community as a whole needs to shift their mindset when it comes to Melee vs Brawl vs PM vs Smash 4 debates. Nobody can force anyone to like/dislike a particular game, but what we CAN do is be more tolerant of each other's preferences without sparking flame wars at every opportunity we get. Nobody should ever be put down for playing a game they enjoy... At the end of the day we all love Smash Bros for one reason or another.

Bjørn Christian Noor

Smash Cadet

Morons?
Sorry for not being a fan of slow gameplay, nado spamming, dancing blade spamming and camping with projectiles in general.

Thor

Smash Champion

Morons?
I thought the term that was actually used by others was either "Tourneyfag" or "********." And if people like a game, they like a game, whatever. I find the term humorous, rather than derogative, since I count as one to anyone who's not competitive (I certainly look like one when I four-stock a n00b) and I don't think it's bad to have a favorite game.

The annoying part is where they have to go insisting they are objectively right about something that's inherently subjective. Then I think your word is better.

Zylo said:
You can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Juice Doom a Brawl player? It seems like many people's knee-jerk reaction is to blame the melee scene for his comment, and whether you believe it was inappropriate or not, that's an unfair assumption and sheds unnecessary bad light on us.
The problem is guys who commentate Melee (and play it) just repeatedly dump hatred on it in the commentary when there's literally no point (like, not even a concurrent Brawl tournament and they're just bad-mouthing Brawl). When people here nothing but crap about Brawl from people like that, it's not hard to believe that it's another "********" who doesn't like Brawl, regardless of who they actually are.

Also the idea of Sakurai being a terrible game developer is on-face laughable, because if he was terrible, he'd develop terrible games, right? Well, he developed Melee, and the idea of Super Smash Brothers in the first place, so...

Sorry for not being a fan of slow gameplay, nado spamming, dancing blade spamming and camping with projectiles in general.
Slow is subjective (Sonic is faster than Melee Captain Falcon or Fox, and I know people who think Melee is slow so they only watch TAS fights) and the game tends to not feel slow if you're actually playing it or understand what you're watching for [or go watch Nairo], nado spamming is just a way to lose badly, dancing blade spamming is also a way to lose badly (and very funny to watch because it's even easier to punish than badly used Mach Tornado), and you've clearly never watched Armada versus Hungrybox, Apex 2012 - it puts anything Brawl has for camping to shame. And funny enough, watching the mental games pushed that far I find extremely entertaining [whoa my grammar just died], because it shows just how cerebral Melee can be.

Or you could just play Brawl and get that with almost every match.

And as I said above, you don't have to be a fan of Brawl, but you can also avoid posting b****y comments like this and giving the community a bad image. Not everyone has to know all your opinions, so keeping the negative ones to oneself would do a great deal of good in making the community a more friendly, less divided place.

Last edited:

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
But Sakurai doesn't care about the smash scene as he still consider smash to be nothing more then a party game, Nintendo on the other hand does care about the scene.
Sakurai seemed pretty happy though. If he wasn't interested before the tournament, he now certainly is.

Renji64

Smash Lord

He says melee is the sharpest in the series yet ._. with the new installments you are able to do less. It is clear as day he doesn't care about the scene or players he is just doing his job and earning his $. It is a party game and that is how he see's it.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
...Yeah this thread has run its course. Although the OP's intentions were good this thread is only going to continue devolving into more unnecessary Melee v Brawl arguments.

Locking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom