• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A solemn moment for DBR and the Melee Community

Germs Lady

Smash Cadet
"I don't think anyone has ever seen me cry, but I'm crying more while I write this than I ever have in my life."

I wish I could hug your right now, Nick. You and Germ were hurt the most. I've never seen Germ cry the way he did the day it happened and I can only imagine what you must be like at this moment. A big part of all of DBR's life, the community and other friends' lives is gone. It's like a small death and there are no words to mend it. I am sending love your way.

~Zohreh

SmashMac

Smash Lord
The feeling of someone betraying you is worse than the feeling of that same someone dieing. It's because the separation was caused by something that could've been avoided, rather than something that's unavoidable. And when you think about it deep inside, you realize that all of your feelings for that person were, are, and will be wasteful in the end because that person didn't care about you as much as you thought or didn't have the same feelings towards you that you had towards them.

Just think about it. If someone was born without a Father or Mother because of a death situation, usually they grow up to be a strong individual, despite missing their parent. But if their Mother or Father isn't in the picture because they wanted to have nothing to do with them when they were born, the feeling of betrayal is worse and when that person grows up, guess what happens? They become what they never wanted to be, just like their missing Father or Mother, a piece of sh*t.

I don't know Zelgadis personally and I remember liking his Shined Blind combo vid., but this situation seems like it caused a lot of pain and from the looks of it, he's the center of it all. Either way, if he has a substance-abuse problem I hope he's liberated from it some way or another.

Germs Lady

Smash Cadet
Suggestion Box for Genesis 3

FYI This was Zelgadis/Trebor's RIGHT HAND MAN at this event..............he stashed the money in his house:
Might I ADD that he was trying to deal oxy at G2 to people?!?! Insanity. He admitted to being a drug dealer
only to find later that he was actually trying to sell at G2. Awesome friends you have there, Trebor......because
he would've TOTALLY given the $6k to you.....seeing as he's a drug dealer and everything.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000699830744&sk=info << The person who helped Trebor do it all.

Walt

Smash Ace
I haven't said anything about Hella/Nick's post yet just because it made me too sad.

I hope nothing but better days for you in the future man. I hope this low point is just the beginning of you climbing the highest mountains.

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
I haven't posted here in ages, and I don't know any of you guys personally. But reading such heartfelt comments... it gives me ****ing chills.

Yes, big props to the DBR crew. As despicable as lying to your decade-long best friends is, I can't help but feel sorrow for Zelgadis in addition to the very people that he has backstabbed.

Still, I'm glad that the outcome for the tournament has been a good one. It has been rather bittersweet reading through the 22 pages of this thread, with much grief and yet some hope of the human condition.

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
Wow :'( Zelgadis was a person i admired highly and this happens?
*sigh* Idk what to say... :(

Darkspines22

Smash Cadet
This brought a tear to my eye. Of all the fighting game communities, This is the last one I would expect something like this too happen.....

But, nevertheless, I hope you guys in DBR are holding up. You guys did a great job of not letting this phase you guys, and continuing the tourney. You guys have got some serious dedication.

Scar

#HarveyDent
I just wanted to echo the consensus here in saying that DBR, you guys did the best you could when dealt a ****ty hand, and we've all come to expect no less from you as a crew. I'm really sorry you had to go through all this, and after having the pleasure of meeting all of you, you guys know that I mean that sincerely.

As for less important things...

I absolutely hated AZ's post and I think that he missed the entire point of why this thread is important, as he usually does. I also was disgusted by Plank's posts because it seems to me that he isn't exhibiting a single quality I respect people, namely accountability, responsibility, and respect for others.

DRGN

Technowizard
I actually read this whole thread, and honestly I had so many thoughts along the way I'm not sure where to begin.

Zelgadis is one of the people of DBR I know the least; we only played once in tournament and I never really said 'Hi' or talked to him at events. But I'm still shocked (for obvious reasons) and saddened for the pain it caused, especially for it to happen on such an important, planned, and special day for everyone. I've felt the pangs and ache of betrayal more than once, losing friends I thought were good ones (once even during a time when they were the ONLY good friend I thought I had). I know it's awful beyond the simple word, so I'm truly sorry.

Some have said that they hate money and what it does, and I understand why they're saying it. But I kind of have a hard time believing that's the heart of the matter. While it's true that if there were no financial or material need this sort of thing wouldn't happen (or at least as often/for these reasons), it doesn't necessarily mean that the type of integrity (or lack thereof) needed for them to occur wouldn't exist. Probably only that it wouldn't need to surface. Desperation may exacerbate such things that could exist deep down, bu that's just it: isn't it drawing on or let out by something that's already there, whether it be fault of moral code, priorities of worth (i.e. they don't care enough), or something else? Without moments like these how would we find out who we really are? We otherwise couldn't know people deep down - instead stuck to a somewhat superficial level of likes/dislikes and common interests.

It's things like this that at least give greater respect -sometimes even admiration- for honesty and true, solid character. Not to mention the added consideration for the absolutely epic value of trust. The remainder of DBR has this admirable level of character and will persevere as one of the most amazing crews ever. Of this I have no doubt.

As for the combo videos: I of course remember Shined Blind. But that was only a part of the sensation back then; I remember watching ALL of DBR's videos. Hylian Nightmare, Overdose, DFA, Pure NastyNess. They were influential to me and my friends partly because of the tech skill. These were at the time when me and my friends were just learning about short hopping and L-canceling - Shffling was radical sh*t back then! But also, they depicted professionalism, and hinted at a much higher competitive scene than what we knew. We went to noob tourneys back then, and these videos were probably at least a year or so before even the Sac Biweeklies ever existed.

Ten years is a long time to know someone well, especially for people as young as us. So I'm really kinda blown away by stuff like this. That's really ****ty. Again I'm sorry. I sincerely hope you all can heal from this well, and if nothing else find solace in the trust and friendship you still have with each other. I imagine that the pain you've shared also means an even stronger bond between you. Cherish it. It's the best thing you can get in life.

- Durgan

Raidex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raaidex
I'm sorry for what happened to you guys. I never thought that you guys would go through something as horrible as this.

That was incredibly selfish, low, and cruel on Zelgadis' part. But I'm glad you guys are holding up and have moved on.

Zen127

Smash Apprentice
Kk, serious post now, and it's going to be a good one, so I really hope people don't troll me for this. It's my entire thought of the whole thing.

Seeing as how he hasn't even bothered to make an apology (Correct me if I'm wrong with a link to a certain thread he may have made regarding that.), I can honestly feel the pain he must be experiencing emotionally. He must be so ashamed right now of what he got CAUGHT for. I believe I read a post concerning what Zelgadis had said on the phone to a friend: "I'm sorry I don't know why I did it."

That's another lie. He knew exactly why he wanted the money, and knew exactly what he was going to do with it when the day was over. However, he didn't know he was lying. I find it hard to believe anyone could willingly say: "I wanted the money to do (insert here), so I took it."

Why did he take the money? $6000 dollars is a very huge sum of money. Money has the kind of power that can control a person no matter who it is and what the risks are, especially in numbers. Think about the amount; That's enough money to do a lot of things.

Now add to the fact that he was clearly not thinking about the risks he was in danger of when taking the envelope, and if he was, he was thinking about how those risks could be avoided, and easily.

"The crew is gone. No one can see me do it. I'll just take it, and the crew will just believe that it was lost while on the way to the tournament."

That was Plan A. Now for the hotel event before the cops. He acknowledges the risks which has now been clearly presented to him face-first, and the "trap" he just fell into.

"I'll lie my way out of this. The money is already at my friend's house, and there is now no way I can get caught, because If I get caught, I lose my friends and reputation."

This is why he lied, and lied, and lied until the crew would just drop the whole thing all together, they didn't. The cops arrive and present him with more risks of ending up in jail.

"This is it, I'll lose my reputation, my best friends, and I'll go to jail. I have to admit it, maybe my friends will forgive me."

And so he finally succumbs from guilt he received from his crew, especially the tears, and not to mention the fear of the risks which have grown ten fold over the course of the event, and lets it out. He's now suffering from guilt and shame. I bet sometimes he can't even go to sleep thinking about it.

Imagine yourself in his shoes, walking out of the tourney in the most shame he has ever experienced in his life. Don't say you would never do such a thing, I want you to imagine it regardless of your morals. Imagine the mass emotional pain he must be feeling. It's almost as big as the death of your own parents if you tried hard enough.

He wanted to keep his friends and the money, which he thought was best for him. He unknowingly put himself in a trap he knew he couldn't get out of without lying until the whole thing was dropped, and even that didn't work for him.

This is his crime. But, if he was truly a bad person, he would have kept lying to the police regardless of their warning. He would not be feeling any emotion from the experience. Not even, he wouldn't have went to the tourney all together, and left somewhere with his friend after taking it. That is a bad person's TRUE intentions. "Money over everything."

The point of this cool story, is that stealing is sadly part of human nature. It's common. Friends and family even do it. Why do even those type of people do it? It's the opportunity that is also granted to them. That letter containing THAT kind of sum of money sitting on a couch. Just you, and the money. No one else watching. He, like others, couldn't resist the temptation, fell victim to the money, and was "controlled" by it in a sense, barely thinking even if they get caught somehow, they would be forgiven by their family.

It happens so fast that he had no time to think about the risks he could have avoided when putting his hand on it, and he tried as hard as he could to keep his friends and reputation, by lying instead of admitting, since it was ALREADY in his friend's house. He had barely any time to think about how to solve the problem by just admitting it before the cops came, so he lied. He couldn't even accept Germ's offer of "finding the money" and covering his ***, because he loved Germ so much, he didn't want Germ to lose his trust in him because of the mistake he made by taking the money. Whether he had any more care about keeping the money or not, I do not know.

In conclusion, Zelgadis has learned an invaluable lesson from this. His acts weren't selfish enough to define him as a bad person. He did what he did out of the opportunity and the money's grasp on him (being alone with the money, then taking it). He then acted out of fear and guilt (lying, and finally confessing after a while). I, from this day, will always believe that Zelgadis deserves another chance, whether you guys give it to him or not. That is, until someone proves that he has actually tried this before, or done something tragic in the past. Don't say he does drugs. I know for a fact that drug use has nothing to do with the crime he committed.

And finally, here's my attempt at convincing for this to happen. Sit down with him and talk with him. Give him the chance to make a well detailed, formal, lie-less apology if he hasn't done so. Then hug and become his friend again. You can't let money be the reason to DISfriend someone. No matter how big the cost, and what happens to the tourney. You might as well be taking the money and a day long video game event over a family member you've known for a DECADE, not to mention a Smash Legend. Which IMO, is worse than trying to steal it all together. That's not ****ing fair and it actually pisses me off a bit. 10 Miles away from your home? REALLY?

Something can be arranged. You have the right not to trust him, but you can't just get rid of him. He obviously has learned never to do it again, specially after the amount of pain and guilt. So give him the chance. Let him find a way to make it up to you if possible.

The end.

Zen127

Smash Apprentice
"Additionally, this isn’t what you’d call the first blemish on his record. I’m not going to embellish, but let’s just say that the six grand would *maybe* pay off all the debt that he’s stonewalled on to other people." - King

Welp, I totally just read this. I just got ***** so hard it wasn't even funny. My entire 10 minutes wasted on a useless essay.

Either way, I hope the my useless time on this thread did a bit of SOMETHING. Maybe trust him even less than what you initially planned to do? Idk any more, LOL.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
ggs to dbr for handling this so well.

imo dbr have no reason to risk forgiving him and letting them back into their lives. what good will it do them? how will they know he wont do **** like that again? is there any real motivation for doing so other then trying to be some kind of moral saint? (like that ****** zen is doing, go **** yourself buddy)
trying to guilt trip them into forgiving him is just flat-out mean.

zelgadis dug his own grave. there may be johns for doing so, but imo there arent johns big enough for this. and by the sounds of it his are not even close to being big enough

and also even if his actions weren't as disgusting as some are trying to make them out to be, the absolute last people on this earth that owe him help, sympathy or forgiveness is the rest of dbr.

Zen127

Smash Apprentice
ggs to dbr for handling this so well.

imo dbr have no reason to risk forgiving him and letting them back into their lives. what good will it do them? how will they know he wont do **** like that again? is there any real motivation for doing so other then trying to be some kind of moral saint? (like that ****** zen is doing, go **** yourself buddy)
trying to guilt trip them into forgiving him is just flat-out mean.

zelgadis dug his own grave. there may be johns for doing so, but imo there arent johns big enough for this. and by the sounds of it his are not even close to being big enough

and also even if his actions weren't as disgusting as some are trying to make them out to be, the absolute last people on this earth that owe him help, sympathy or forgiveness is the rest of dbr.
How will they know if he does it again? By observing if he does it again in the future. That's what a second chance is called. It's got the aspects of a "test". Moral Saint? I'm only reminding the rest of the community of something called "Forgiveness". What the **** do most of you morons attend church for? Yeah it's pretty ****ing boring, isn't it? Speaking of such, the likes of Jeffrey Dahmer himself was allowed a baptism by a priest, also to be considered his final true friend.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure that nothing that a human being could do that was considered "evil" will ever amount to what he did.

I thought I'd be confronted of my feelings by DBR themselves sooner or later. I'm glad it turned out to be a worthless piece of trash like you.

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
Sounds like a FL Maverick tourney(except "God" took the money).

Honestly, if he were here in FL(Zel), he woulda had his face smashed in. And we would've gorilla ****ed his dead mothers body.

Surprised this can happen in this community(ive been away for a while), especially with how scary most of DBR looks(zelgadis included).

HomeStylePie

Smash Cadet
I would like to agree with this.

But seriously, that's some mad ****ed up ****, yo.
Dude, hittin some dank and playing t3h melee IS tha ****.

When you combine it with irresponsible ****-related behavior. The behavior related to desperately needing money for your next score is the mad ****ed up ****, yo.

Addiction will destroy you no matter what the addiction is.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
It haunts me everyday to know that Zelgadis is the person that he is. Every time I log on to smashboards, i remember a match from him or just his character fox. It pains me to know what kind of person he is. (Money hungry). My condolences to The Germ and Germ's Lady. It was like a dark cloud that day when I first read this thread. Zelgadis addiction lead him astray and thus leaving a punishment for him. Selfishness and greed causes your life to spiral into a ego faze. You tend to think for your self and forget about others. It allows you to hate people who care for you the most and still keep a fake smile. I hope everyone learns a lesson from this.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Well, it's easy to betray people when you feel like you've become an outsider within a group.

From what I gather, DBR had taken Trebor off its top 8 myspace friends long before this incident took place.

Hindawg

Smash Journeyman
This whole situation is nothing. The crew is called Death By **** for a ****ing reason. Did you think he was over at the local school helping kids with their ABCs and picking blueberries with his ****ing grandma?

All the dip **** had to do was lie once. Tell everyone that his 'friend' took the money and he swore to him that he wouldnt say anything and then come up with some reason why this crackhead needed 6 grand. HMM I WONDER WHY A DRUG DEALER WOULD NEED MONEY!?!? Instead of shining the heroin junky off the stage he ****ing laser camped the entire dbr crew up to 999% and came charging at them with a firefox but he ****ed up and got grabbed by silentspectre and got his *** wombo comboed. If your execution is not perfect, Jeff is gonna punish you for it. Even if it means death by ****.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
that wasn't funny & this is not really something to joke about.

Top Bottom