• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Snake Social

BND

Smash Apprentice
so I only just realized that doing actual down tilts (refer to the chart at the top of the page) is waaaay faster than doing them out of a crouch. If you hold down completely to downtilt, you waste 4 frames to avoid a down smash input. I think this could also be an interesting way of forcing whiffed aerials since down tilt puts snake's hitbox way lower frame 1 vs. his crouch animation (which takes ~ 6 frames to reach the same height). It also takes 8 frames to reach Snake's fully crouched position, which has implications on his crawl tilt, forcing it to only be available after Snake's crouch is finished. So it's suuuuper slow.
That's actually of questionable merit. Dtilt actually gives you a pretty high hitbox due to the fact that Snake leans on his arm and has his other arm raised; I'd estimate that it's at least as high as Kirby standing. Personally I'd rather take the hit as a crouch cancel.
Crawl attack, on the other hand, maintains his low hitbox. Unfortunately, I don't think you can do it from a standing position or out of normal lag (like spotdodge lag). I know that you can crawl attack directly out of a landing, which is much faster than crouching normally, but that's also of questionable merit.

(Hoping someone can prove me wrong on this bit, though given the amount of testing I have on this I'm pretty sure this is correct.)

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
I can record gameplay now so gimme a bit. You can stand immediately out of d-tilt tho.
http://imgur.com/a/GmRUn
Here are all eight frames of the crouch animation in comparison to standing Kirby. As you can see, most of them are actually still pretty high.

http://imgur.com/a/v6upB
Here are Snake's first eight frames of down tilt by comparion.

Nothing I say is tested, of course, but theoretically, I think it's fair to say that Snake lays lower in down tilt than in his crouch during the relevant frames.

I'll see if I can down tilt under Samus missiles now.
EDIT: This is also confirmed, so down tilt is at least lower than standing Kirby 100% of the time, as Kirby gets hit by Standing Samus Missiles.

Last edited:

BND

Smash Apprentice
Actually...

(10th frame; his arm actually has a hurtbox and can get hit by missiles then)
</nitpicks>

yink059

Smash Cadet
Has anyone else taken to smash DIing C4 damage boosts while recovering? It's GODLIKE. Up at low percents and down at high percents to increase chances of survival respectively. You may even be able to SDI left/right to set up for stage techs that normally aren't possible, too.
do AGT'd grenades bounced off the stage count?

yink059

Smash Cadet
of course, although I'm confused as to how you're glide tossing them in such a situation
not usually in serious games lol, my friend plays link and hes obsessed with AGTs so whenever we mess around i do **** like that. you have to try and put yourself in a bad spot just to do it most of the time

Last edited:

Jelinek

Smash Rookie
Do you think grenades should mostly for approaches? How do you approach with them?

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Grenades are zoning tools. This can be masked as an approach but it's not an approach in and of itself in my mind. it's difficult due to the large hitbox and the fact that Snake can get hit by his own grenades—any shield pressure that grenades instigate is impossible to capitalize on, which means you'd be hoping for a hit, which really doesn't happen that often unless you cook the grenade really well or catch a hitbox. Both of those require a read on some level to get started. Meanwhile, if you simply place a grenade in one place and cover the other options with Snake's tilts or aerials or c4/mine hitboxes, you can either force a mistake or force a retreat. Once Snake gets someone in the corner, it turns real nasty for them due to his solid edgeguarding prowess and chain grabs and down throws. Applying pressure can be done in many different ways; approaching is just one of those ways.

Arrow (Kyle)

Smash Apprentice
The 3.6 changes for Snake are pretty good. You guys will prob like them. Shouts to not having the worst Air mobility anymore~~

BND

Smash Apprentice
...Wait, basis for the changes? (Just curious)

Arrow (Kyle)

Smash Apprentice
From what I could tell it just seems like minor stuff. Just tiny tweaks that make him slightly better a whole. Also could be placebo but less lag on sticky?

cisyphus

Smash Ace
So Messi just got second at Revelations, taking sets off of m2k and axe. What do y'all think of Messi's Snake? It's basically what mine could be if I actually practiced and had a better mindset for this game.

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Excuse the TRIPLE POST right now but guys: holding a grenade while landing cancels all landing lag. How did I never notice this before?

yink059

Smash Cadet
maybe because we only have 3 options out of grenade?

grenade pull -> shield -> wd out (grab grenade) is better than we thought?

Last edited:

BND

Smash Apprentice
Excuse the TRIPLE POST right now but guys: holding a grenade while landing cancels all landing lag. How did I never notice this before?
You might be thinking a bit too hard about this. Having a grenade pulled out in the shield-able frames does let you shield on frame 1, but if you're planning on shield pulling a grenade in the first place, you might as well stand and pull a grenade, since the shield times are the same regardless of whether you start it on the ground or in the air. The only times you'd be able to take advantage of that is when you're in the air, but Snake's largely a ground-based character, so you're probably not going to stay 19 frames above ground (Pulling out a grenade early requires 21 on certain frames, actually), unless:
1. You're coming back from a combo- It might have some merit here, since a cooked grenade is oftentimes more valuable than a fresh one if you plan to act immediately. Personally, I pull out a defensive grenade after a C4 stick if they're not in definite back air range or if I'm too lazy to think, because of the extra cooking time, no-landing-lag thing, and the fact that they're probably at a percent where a grenade will send them up a somewhat decent distance, which is oftentimes disadvantageous.
2. You're dropping through a platform- I personally prefer to roll a grenade in most of these case instead of dropping through, but this might have some merit too
3. You're coming back from getting comboed- If you don't have a grenade pulled out by the time you're in range of the opponent, you're likely down airing an overextended opponent, backairing a really badly spaced opponent, or doing something wrong.

(Basically, there aren't many opportunities Snake can use the lack of landing lag from a pulled grenade)

EDIT: As for Messi's Snake...You know how I think about most Snakes that aren't mine (and even Snakes that are mine). Admittedly, he's using standard grenade tactics better, but there are a lot of things he's doing that confuse me in the not-good way that can't be chalked up to misinputs, and his combo game seems to be off: I've noticed that he's been abusing down airs in not-optimal ways (I.E. a down air clearly wouldn't hit cleanly from that distance, yet he does it anyways), and he's been using cypher->back air a lot without thinking. He does react much faster than I do, though, which explains both why he got and lost many opportunities to do cool things and why some of his choices were suboptimal.
The rest seems to be textbook stuff, which unfortunately I value less for Snake players. It's possible that he found a lot of this himself though since I don't see him lurking the Snake boards (and because what I consider textbook might not necessarily be textbook anyways), which could explain things.
He does have a much better ability to adapt/change muscle memory than I have and a faster reaction time, which is good.

As for the other players, they seem to be adapting to Snake somewhat better (a lot better since the Rolex+Prof glory days of dominance), but there's a semi-obvious lack of anti-Snake research for other players. (Axe did make the good observation that Snake can be stage spiked after a stage-tech, though that could be averted with a walljump-tech B-reverse-cypher)

M2K seemed to be lost in general though (Slow reactions, bad techrolls, etc). I don't know why; he's been fairly bad at dealing with mines and whatnot, though it seemed especially bad in this set. Maybe he's getting old...? (The "This is Snake's worst matchup" vs M2K's Falcon was pretty funny though)
Upon further analysis, though, it's possible that his poop-bombs-from-the-ceiling gameplay works well on M2K, simply because he's not good at dealing with them; I know it worked for me during the weekly right before I got home from college.

EDIT2: Never mind, seems like he figured out a lot of this stuff out himself. Saw him going for the backwards crawl to the ledge, which was one of the things I was hoping to experiment more with before I said anything about. It's likely safe to assume he found a lot of the stuff himself, so good for him.

tl;dr thoughts: Messi's not as bad as I figured he was going to be originally, though he needs to slow down a bit and think. As things are right now, they're working out well for him because Messi's gets in his opponent's face quickly, but I'd imagine that most Snake players with a reasonable amount of character knowledge can see lots of holes in his gameplay

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
I was thinking of it defensively tbh. Or out of Cypher since you can land super quick out of that and link it into a grab (which actually gives you enough time to down throw, and the grenade covers everything but roll away). Grab out of Shield Grenade is actually really good in general—Messi uses it a lot ;) Moreover, tomahawk grenade shenanigans are potential mixup tools, especially with wavebounces and b-reverses available. Something like SH b-reverse grenade to bait an anti air, then wavedash grenade toss or whatever else. You can also use it to possibly speed up platform chase scenarios, both tech-chasing and baiting, since you can FH grenade pull into instant shield with 1 frame landing lag—likely faster than a wavedash and puts a trap in your opponent's face.

I'll play around with it more, but in general it's really useful to know about that 3 frame difference to optimize movement and such.

Last edited:

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
Is there videos on Messi's snake? I've seen him in one video against M2k in doubles with a comeback lol

Sylarius

Smash Ace
Messi's movement is hella good and he uses C4 pretty well when edgeguarding/hitting people coming up from the ledge, that's something I think more snakes should do. Can't say he really impressed me smarts-wise but taking sets off of M2K and Axe is really something. I considered Snake below mid tier after the 3.5 changes honestly which is part of my reason for switching mains. (The other part is because I don't really like Snake...) I liked how he goes for C4 sticks a lot and trapping people with both mine and C4.

Good movement is something ProPro also does well and I'm getting convinced that that's extremely important to Snake's gameplay in order to succeed at the highest levels.

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Yeah a big thing I noticed about my slump is that I wasn't moving as much as I used to. Snake can't just sit back and wait, he's gotta dash around and wait instead :p

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
@ Arrow (Kyle) Arrow (Kyle) As in if you sticky someone, can you immediately grab them? (3.02 style). And I'm happy of the aerial mobility change, I think he needs that a lot.

@ cisyphus cisyphus Dash dancing actually lets your opponents concentrate mostly on you to which you can either lead them to fall into mines/ or get a grab off them

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
How do you grenade --> grab without shielding? I've seen Messi do it a few times.

BND

Smash Apprentice
You just use the Z button, or press shield + attack on the same frame. The game seems to check for shielding a grenade before checking for a grab input.

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
So I've been hiatus from Snake due to frustration and such, so I was playing with Lucario solo. I practiced his ASC everyday to the point I can have little mess-ups and being able to read DI do to his low knock-back and kills off nair. Overtime I started to miss Snake. So I went back to him and noticed more improvements (of course after a while). I've been able to dash dance consistently and react stick immediately without looking predictable or vulnerable (played with my buddy). I've been able to use grenade techs as second nature. Maybe it's just me being sentimental going back to him but I think I'm going to stick to Snake and use him to his full potential or unlocked if anything.

Btw how do you feel about Snake's 3.6 changes from Arrow? Do you feel it would change Snake for the good? Or other changes are needed here? I wanna know what you think

BND

Smash Apprentice
...dat muscle memory reset

I'd still like a source regarding Arrow's claims, but overall air mobility is something I'm looking forward to. It's pretty stupid and/or silly how most floaties (*cough* jiggs *cough*) can weave in and out of range while smacking Snake's shield with misspaced aerials safely if Snake doesn't have the extra reach of a grenade.

Last edited:

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
...dat muscle memory reset

I'd still like a source regarding Arrow's claims, but overall air mobility is something I'm looking forward to. It's pretty stupid and/or silly how most floaties (*cough* jiggs *cough*) can weave in and out of range while smacking Snake's shield with misspaced aerials safely if Snake doesn't have the extra reach of a grenade.
Ya, I think I've gained better reaction time and spacing do to lucario's dd game.

Aerial mobility and less lag on sticky (placebo maybe?) is what I'm looking forward to. Maybe The ground C4 is be the same if not similar to the aerial version. Is Snake considered a floaty? or pseudo-floaty?

BND

Smash Apprentice
Heavyweight semi-floaty*, I think; IIRC he was heavier than Falcon, who's commonly considered a heavyweight. I also remember that the wiki gave a separate "super heavyweight" class to the true hambeasts of Project M, so I think it's appropriate to call Snake a heavyweight.
But basically Ganon in terms of combo flowchart classification.

Last edited:

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
Dang, Snake has it rough :( Gets combo'd like no tommorrow and setup-heavy character. It's a bad combination xD

cisyphus

Smash Ace
I was talking with some Melee spacie mains on Monday about Snake: his neutral is theoretically on par with Falco's given how much control he exerts over the stage and how much you're forced to play around his hitboxes (imagine this like Falco lasers). They may not have the speed or multitude that Falco has, but the overall punishment for getting hit by one is monumentally worse in that it does as much damage as a Samus missile, but with a better combo knockback (up instead of away) and the added advantage of not being powershieldable or clankable. They're also permanent residents and force the opponent to deal with them if they want to move a certain way. He also, coincidentally has an as good (better) OOS option than Falco in Cypher (idr if you can shine in jumpsquat but I think you can't?) I think that makes up for his combo weight being among the worst—not to mention his combination of weight and fall speed making killing Snake outright rather difficult, and with his long-distance recovery, he basically lives through anything but a clean KO. I've basically solidified a Monday smashfest with PM that I thought I'd lost since they "really want to learn the matchup" :3

Also, I'm starting to feel like Snake can't be u-throw u-air combo'd by Fox (due to the weight-dependent throw). I know this is true of Samus, but can someone do conclusive study? I have work and errands to run so I'll be unable to until like 7-8 tonight :p If it is true, it should also mean Ike can escape, which is a pretty huge game changer for that MU (MI's top 5 has a Fox and Ike main in it who play very often).

Last edited:

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
I have yet to learn how to SDI that consistently (c-stick up and analog away from the second hit), though I'm starting to see this as the matchup goes. But I do agree that Snake can confirm well off a hit and lay on lots of percent if you can read tech chases or catch them in a trap. The difference I see with Falco is that he can use laser--> hit confirm more consistently and combo more consistently, but suffers do to dying VERY early to combos/gimps due to short recovery. And Snake can do stage trap mixups to keep the opponent in check. I believe Ike and Snake have similar weights yes or I think Snake is slightly heavier (maybe my DI is better on Snake than Ike lol)

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Snake and Ike have the same weight, but Snake is slightly less floaty. && I'm talking about being able to straight jump away from the up air follow-up. If you manage to DI, you could probably even b-reverse grenade away for swag points rofl. I'm home now so I'll give it a whirl, lol.
  • Fox's u-throw takes 41 frames before being interruptible, during that time:
    • 1-8 are intangibility frames (throw armor)
    • 11 Snake enters hitstun w/ a hitbox
    • 21 first laser appears
    • 24 second laser appears
    • 28 last laser appears
  • Fox is airborne on frame 4, meaning his frame 8 u-air has at least a 11 frame delay, making it easy to calculate Snake's total actionable frames from the moment he exits hitstun.
    • Snake needs to have actionability on earlier than frame 52 to have a frame advantage over Fox's u-air, otherwise it's a True Combo.
    • Snake needs to have actionability on earlier than frame 55 to have a frame advantage over Fox's second hit of u-air (should the first happen to whiff)
  • All of this assumes neutral DI because it's easy and what will probably happen anyway. DIing is the best way to make this more difficult/impossible for the Fox, since it requires even more frame perfect inputs out of them on top of stellar reaction time.
  • Fox's SH is lower than his FH which is lower than an instant DJ (inputting jump immediately after becoming airborne)
  • In contrast, Snake has a few main tools to avoid followups: jump, airdodge, grenade, and down air, interestingly enough. each one's use is situational, although down air seems to be the most applicable move to spam.
    • Jump takes a bit of time to actually make a vertical positional change, but if the fox is just clipping you with his uair, it comes in handy.
    • airdodge is pretty slow overall, taking 5 frames for the intangibility to come into effect, and even then, the fox can land in time to punish you most of the time.
    • Grenade similarly is very slow, but if the Fox isn't frame perfect, it can be a flashy little escape. Takes eight frames (?) for the grenade to spawn.
    • Now Down Air is the surprising star here: with a frame 3 active hitbox with a 3 frame hitbox window, this gives Snake a lot of situations in which down air just flat beats out a u-air happy fox's options.
    • Inevitably, Snake has the advantage in most scenarios as the Fox needs to be nearly perfect with their timing whereas Snake can just mash jump (or attack while holding down) and escape pretty easily. Overall, I think that down air would be the more apt escape, but I've gotta test it in real scenarios rather than in the lab.
Percentages before the grab and the Frame Snake leaves hitstun are listed below. Under the spoiler is added information about it.

This gives Snake 5 frames of actionability before Fox's uair becomes active. If the Fox SH uairs, this is enough to jump out of the followup with great ease. If the fox FHs, you need either a frame perfect airdodge to avoid the u-air or a close-to-perfect down air to trade (within 3 frames, only trading on the latest third frame).
This gives Snake 4 frames of actionability before Fox's uair becomes active. If the Fox SH uairs, this is enough to jump out of easily. A fullhop will clip Snake regardless.HOWEVER, 4 frames is enough to put a dair out, so you can trade if you notice the Fox knows to Full Hop.
This gives Snake 3 frames of actionability before Fox's uair becomes active. A shorthop uair will let Snake escape with neutral DI on the first hit, but a FH uair covers absolutely every evasive option Snake has besides trading with a frame perfect down air.
This gives Snake 2 frames of actionability before Fox's uair becomes active. A shorthop uair will let Snake jump out, but a FH uair covers absolutely every evasive option Snake has. The first hit of Fox's SH u-air begins to whiff here.
Fox's FH u-air is a true combo here.
Fox's FH u-air is a true combo here, but a simple ASDI up remedies it. Fox needs to start double jumping to assure the combo.
Fox's FH u-air is a true combo, but a simple ASDI up remedies it.
Fox's FH u-air whiffs on the first hit, but is still a TC.
Fox's FH u-air whiffs completely, double jumps required, complicating matters too much for me to desire investigating.

So there you have it: Snake has some pretty cool ways of avoiding this dumb combo ;)

Last edited:

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
Has anybody put mines on platforms and C4 on the ground underneath it? This is a good tactic on removing DI options from forward/back throw. If the opponent DIs up, they will get hit by the mine, but if the DI down, you can detonate the C4 to which they will hit the mine as well turning it into a KO and/or putting them in a bad position. This especially works well against floaties and characters with low %.

Last edited:

yink059

Smash Cadet
usually just for zoning on like ps2... if they DI down and tech away its usually hard to hit them with c4.

Last edited:

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
usually just for zoning on like ps2... if they DI down and tech away its usually hard to hit them with c4.
Yes, though this tactic is especially good against floaties because you can't throw them into ground mines above 50% (which then you detonate the mine by planting another one). This is especially good for platform stages, which is basically all of them with the exception of FD and moving platforms aka Smashville and FoD.

On another note, are there ways to foot stool as Snake? I want to try to utilize it more. For example, foot stool--> mine or footstool--> c4 drop---> detonate. Or do we need to wait till 3.6? :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom