• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Snake Social

cisyphus

Smash Ace
So I want a spot to put any of my half-baked ideas to see if we can't stew it together and see if we can't spit out something to digest. Everyone else can feel free to do that as well. If this doesn't work as a "social" this can be the "share nuanced tech stuff"

I've done a massive lab binge (literally sat and played Snake for hours seeing what works and what doesn't). Some curious things:

- Dash attack into u-tilt combos on fast-fallers at middle percentages. I can confirm it is a true combo on Roy at 30% w/ No DI. Might seem jank, but there's a certain value to turning a rushed dash attack (say, to cover a tech) into a well-timed up-tilt with an extra 11% on top of it.

- u-tilt might have value as a f-air spike setup. This is stemming from the above. I can find a bunch of percentages with only a few frames of activity for Roy, but nothing 100%. Still, could catch a jump or an unfamiliarity with u-tilt's hitstun. DI could also potentially change this, as it'll keep roy lower to the ground at higher percents, thus eliminating Snake's need for height (could potentially save a couple frames).

Anyone else do these odd jabs mid-combo? I never really picked up on it before, but it's a common feature for a lot of my characters—I see it in my Samus and Sheik in melee a bunch, in particular. But yeah, having realized this habit, I've also found some value behind it: jab's hitboxes are very similar to f-tilt's, u-tilt's, and grab's hitboxes, just faster. The situations where I find grab keeping my opponent a bit high, I started to replace with u-tilt or grabs, and lo and behold! the attacks fill in that blank space! I think I've been using jabs as an exploratory technique to see if I can still follow something up—the problem was that I saw the jab as the followup (which mind you, it still is very useful in some cases). So basically: use jabs when you get an unfamiliar branch of your combo tree growing, if the jab lands, it's possible other moves can also land in its place. This might've been where the above dash attack nonsense came about, but I didn't even think to start writing this stuff down until recently.

- - - - -

I've been endorsing the down smash into wavedash to ledge edgeguarding system for a while, but am seeing really clearly that if the mine isn't good to KO your opponent, it's almost not worth doing. So I'm gonna revise that system a little bit to make it more inclusive and cover a lot more, mostly 'cause I found a totally swag way to cover some of the stuff:
1. That swag way is ledge jump* back air. The value I see is that your invincibility during ledge jump will set it off, that same ledge jump will occupy the ledge if you happen to be late to the trigger, OTHERWISE your mine explodes while you're invincible, hitting your opponent who is likely DIing for the mine, which means they're going STRAIGHT off the screen from the bair. It's a DI mixup, essentially, but oh it works wonders.
2. All of this is unnecessary if they're C4'd, though. Just do your standard ledgeroll to blow the mine, stagespiking the opponent if they're low and sending them up if they're high. Detonating the C4 should cover everything else from there.
3. Placing the mine on a platform shifts your responsibility to holding ledge and punishing their landing. This isn't so useful against spacies per say, but any relatively punishable on-stage recovery is choice. All you really gotta do at this point is knock your opponent up into the mine, which KOs 10% earlier on most stages thanks to its added height, and whatever punish you can imagine is another 10 or 20 percent, which means any edgeguard situation could turn into a KO this way. The only "rule" is that you can't up throw as it's really suboptimal, causing a forced grab-release that does 7% and the mine knockback. Stick with u-tilts, or turn it into a techchase with down throw.
3a. This leads to a little aside where I'm pretty sure that doing a No Impact Landing is faster than doing a waveland in this situation. I'm not well versed in the inputs for perfect wavelands, so I'd need help confirming that much, but No Impact Landing is really straightforward: Snake needs to reach the peak of his jump just as he's above the floor. You'll need to look for the dust clouds to know you're getting a NIL. The advantage is that NIL gives 1 frame of landing lag vs. 4 normal or 10 from a waveland, so this gives +9 over waveland in terms of landing lag, and Snake only needs to fastfall for 1 frame before NIL starts to work. It's really a matter of holding down and pressing jump a little bit afterwards.
3ai. This is also a decent way to test how fast you're doublejumping from ledge: if you're getting NIL from normal ledgehops, you're wayyyy too slow—without fastfalling, NIL take 6 frames of hangtime between the ledgedrop and the double jump.​
3b. All of THIS, however, could be mitigated by setting up a C4 under the mine beforehand. DI and ASDI doesn't seem to be that big of a factor, but Smash DI WILL save them. This could depend on the size of the character model as well—I'd imagine this completely wrecks ROB or Ganon just because of how big they are.
3bi. All of this is said assuming one knows that the C4 detonation animation is short enough to fit into a ledgehop and regrab ledge. Give it a try: same inputs as the NIL, and just down b instead of going onto the stage. This also works with the any of the C4 planting animations (wall, ceiling, character, etc) so you can even do this to catch a high% edgeguarder off guard (remember to stagetech!) or to get a cheeky stick on a whiffed f-smash before a punish. ledgehop C4 in general is a fantastic punish option if you still need a stick, 'cause it can easily lead into a u-tilt or grab if you're just punishing an on-stage recovery.​

*that is a jump input while holding ledge, for clarity's sake. It's a really bad melee option in most situations, but with PM pushing forward the IASA frames, it's really useful now.

AGT tech with grenades seems vastly unexplored for me. Can anyone bounce ideas around on that subject?

Last edited:

BND

Smash Apprentice
A bit tired (and no idea if I'm going to expand on this later: the 3rd paragraph seems to be a bit grammatically messy and I'm a terrible edgeguarder), but a few points:
1. AFAIK, hitstun is calculated as a function of knockback before factoring in weight (which is why Fox is arguably [one of] the easiest character to combo), and dtilt ends 6 frames earlier than utilt upon the hitbox first appearing. With that being said, I usually favor doing dtilts instead of utilts during combos: the lowered hitbox generally makes up for the fact that dtilt comes out 1 frame slower, since it's definitely possible to fall under the utilt hitbox, and you have more time to act out of it.
2. As for the fair spike, utilt -> fair only works on Fox at specific percents, meaning that it might be a bit inconvenient to try to get it to work in general. Taking fair nerfs into consideration, the most I'd do is dtilt -> fair -> tranq guess followup in the event of a meteor smash.
3. Against most characters (For example, not Zelda), a knockdown is a tranq opportunity. If you know your opponent's mashing habits well enough/have ungodly auditory abilities to figure out when they're going to get out of hitstun, you can actually tranq them 2 times in a row. This is definitely not impossible, especially if they accidentally mash out a smash attack; I've done this several times. It seems like a viable option unless your opponent's at really low percents.
4. Contrary to my statements earlier, grenades are probably not the future/20xx material (unless we figure out the magical grenade approach IGT angle + timing, and that requires too much precision in general. I'd imagine that several-frame-grenade cook -> IGT -> waveland (for style points) -> DACUS would be amazing for stage control, though the latter two are definitely too inconsistent for me). Against a person who plays/understands Snake well enough, they can take your grenades and use them against you in a few too many ways (Or maybe I'm just theorycrafting too hard). Not going to elaborate on this for multiple reasons.
In any case, from my experiences, I mainly use AGTs as a method of movement/aircamping my opponent's invincibility timer out, with defensive IGTing being the bulk of my grenade gameplay* to counteract camping.

*. IGTs are a lot harder to do on the Wi-fi safe variant, which is why I've been using said version as "training weights". It's gotten a bit better contrary to my claim of 100x harder, and my success rate on the regular version more or less 100% and the Wifi safe roughly 50%.

Question of my own that's largely been unanswered: After tranqing someone at high percents, why do people go for the forward air instead of stick -> up throw -> C4? There've been many instances in which fair (probably misspaced) didn't even kill at 120%+, and a star KO gives more time for setup.

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
The forward air is faster, I'm pretty sure. It's ridiculously late and I've been running myself really hard today so I can't bother to check, but if the opponent is mashing (and they will be) it's entirely possible that you completely miss the C4, or they knock you away between that and the grab/u-tilt. Fair also KOs earlier vs. fastfallers and likely against characters with poor recoveries as well. I certainly see your point given certain matchups, but fair definitely has its applications. For example: Fox sleeps under grab, which means you can't u-throw him without waking him up / waiting for him to wake up, which is a period of uncertainty which should've been eliminated by landing the tranq. Fox dies to tipper fair with no DI at 80 on Battlefield—from the center mind you, which means that this data should mostly cover good DI on a fair under BF platforms as well. U-throw C4 doesn't KO until 106 and is arguably just as DI dependent. It's quick and highly effective, imo.

That said, I've found down tilt to fair spike to be 100% guaranteed in these same situations on Fountain where the fair alone is difficult due to the platforms' variations. It's all about doing what works, I suppose. I think f-tilt combo's kind of an unsung hero here too: that angle is reeeeeeeeally low. It's also unlikely to be CC'd because mashing and Snake is close and oh my GOD.

By the way: Marth can literally Suidair you and survive because of the Cypher's hitbox cancelling his dair endlag so he can DJ, side b, up b to safety. It's dumb.

Also: isn't dtilt startup 7 frames vs utilt's 4? (Active frame 8 and 5 respectively) Is your noted "1 frame slower" just a result of the lower hitboxes? Regardless, I think it's mostly preference and/or percentage based. Definitely will experiment with down tilt more tho

Last edited:

BND

Smash Apprentice
Oh, oops; got the frame data for crawl attack and dtilt mixed up. I guess utilt would do better at lower percents, then.

Also, if you're careful about recovery Marth suicide dair shouldn't be too big of a problem unless you're at non-C4able percents/a stage with a high lower blastline (*cough* smashville *cough*). According to calculations, if you drop from the cypher right before marth hits you with a C4 (Keyword is with a C4), you'll either both die (Or rather, Marth would probably need to use the backside of his down air hitbox. This shouldn't happen) or marth should get hit by the cypher and miss you under most cases (I.E. not the case in which you drop the C4 right as marth's hitbox connects). If you get really lucky, Marth's spike attempt might actually cancel out the cypher and miss you, in which case you'll probably recover as he dies.

IMO, if you can let go of cypher -> C4 and sweetspot the ledge, I don't think Snake has a problem with recovery except against a few characters (possibly Jigglypuff, though that's debatable).

On a nitpicky note, if ftilt pops you up you can't CC the second hit. Crouch cancel is called crouch cancel for a reason; you actually have to be in a neutral state and holding down.

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
By the way: I experimented with that ledgejump maneuver I mentioned in post one a bit more and found that you get a lot of cool things including:
- Invincible Auto-cancel back air
- invincible up air
- semi-invincible Aerial Interrupt on Battlefield platforms (frame 27 after ledgejump input)
- AC forward air
- invincible waveland on stage w/ 2 active frames

This is amazing guys.

As for the AI on platforms, here's a list of required frames:
Yoshi's Story: 27 frames
Lylat Cruise: not possible as far as I can tell.
Smashville: 28 frames
Dreamland: 32 frames (not invincible)
WarioWare Inc: 25 frames (precisely when vulnerability begins)
Skyworld: 29 frames

I also recommend buffering the ledge jump with c-stick up to get the fastest possible input. If anyone can figure out if you can haxdash with this let me know. I think I just managed it, but I didn't carry invincibility over. I'm also getting air dodge suicides from this infrequently—what's that about? Also be careful of percentages as the animation changes after you hit 100%, which messes with the timing and thus your available actionable frames (you're vulnerable before you can act). The biggest use I can see for this is punishing laggy recoveries really quickly, but being able to carry invincibility over into shield means free punishes on edgeguards.

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
So u-throw -> u-tilt combos, and u-tilt leads into a regrab against at least Ike (the floatiest I've observed) if the u-tilt is done below say 20%, possibly more if they DI away. This also forces platform techchases, which I've started to get really comfortable with. Ideally, you can:
1. Grab, u-throw immediately into u-tilt
2a. Grab if they stay in the center and repeat 1
2b.Follow onto the platform with a rising Full Hop Fair
3a. Regrab if the nair hits
3b. grab their roll
4. u-throw, u-tilt
5a. Fair if they go off stage
6a. This should KO honestly, but if it's too high of a percent, back air works to set up an edgeguard​
5b. C4 stick into falling nair to catch their landing and regrab
6b. set up u-throw -> c4 KO. Should work at 60% with the help of a u-tilt or u-air​
5c. repeat 2b if they go to the top platform
6c. I like to down throw in this situation and then read their roll with a (C4 into) u-tilt into C4 KO
6ci. You can also just f-tilt to set up an edgeguard or u-throw back air or even forward smash I suppose.
6cii. Another nasty option is to set up the top platform beforehand with a centered c4 and set up a downthrow techchase until kill percent = DJ C4 detonate KO.
And naturally you can fit C4 stick into here at any point where you want a mixup as well. This seems really good against fastfallers and is fairly consistent vs. midweights as well (considering I developed this vs. Ike).

cisyphus

Smash Ace
So I was watching this video and am curious if anyone has looked more deeply into this "combo" —I feel like I've tried something similar to this, albeit with a short hop, but had little success. I theorize that it may only work on puff due to her short jump, but it would be incredibly valuable as a gimping tool if it does indeed work on others.

Major points of consideration:
- how quickly can one act out of down throw?
- how quickly can the opponent act out of down throw?
- does the difference of this allow them to perform an option to prevent this?
- does that option allow them to survive the fall afterwards?
- how easily can the opponent SDI the hits?
- Does the SDI work up? or does it need to be done to the left/right?

so if a character's double jump acceleration is high enough that they would be above Snake's dropzone down air, Snake would need to invest in either a short hop on stage (which adds 6 frames) OR Snake could potentially dropzone DJ down air and still catch them—but that raises the question of whether Snake can recover safely after that (which he probably can so long as the opponent can't get into an edgeguarding position afterwards). The question of SDI is also important, as SDI up would allow for an edgeguard; SDI into the stage could potentially force pineappling; SDI out could make it extremely difficult for some characters to recover.

Key characters to test would probably be:
1. Falco (high DJ acceleration)
2. Marth (invincibility frames exist on his up b)
3. Ike (his up b has armor on startup)

BND

Smash Apprentice
If you didn't get the frame data yet, dthrow gives +0 on hit, and it takes at least 1 frame for Snake to run off and 3 to down air; airdodge startup seems to be 3 for most (all?) characters, and dthrow doesn't give any hitstun, so it's definitely not a guaranteed setup.

As for SDI, I'm guessing that, if done properly, it can cause most of the hits to miss (since you only get the chance to start fastfalling once after the downair to adjust for the SDI direction and Snake's aerial acceleration's pretty bad). I don't think SDI's a big factor in this though.

Basically, there are 3 viable options for the opponent:
1. If they have a fast backair, mashing that out can stuff the down air attempt. Obviously countered by shielding (but who's going to do that), in which case it will probably put them in a bad position.
2. Airdodge back onto the stage. Countered by waiting, in which case you need to read their DI to get a followup, or wait until they land (Grabbing the ledge is not an option since they're backwards)
3. Jump. In several cases downairable with some sort of jump (either a full or a shorthop), but remember that a doublejump is instantaneous while Snake needs 5 frames to jump. In other words, realistically they'll have to have a slower doublejump than Snake's initial jump, not to mention that because of Snake's own shorthop, he can't vacuum opponents down with him, giving them the chance to SDI back onto the stage. Gives a followup, but might as well try something else.

tl;dr I wouldn't really recommend doing dthrow -> dair--the success rate when randomly guessing the followups too low compared to other options. Footstool on the other hand...Maybe. (I don't think it works, though; hitbox seems too small)

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Yeah I tested it out immediately before I left for work and air dodge is 100% killer for this. Maybe as a style thing, but never as a serious punish. Sago's silly.

Last edited:

DrugsM2

Smash Apprentice
I main Sonic and am planning on having snake as my permanent and only secondary, I actually played a snake who tried this multiple times vs me and all i had to do to stop it was spam jump, what he did to counter that was pretty smart actually, he began to footstool me before the dair to cover the jump option so that your stuck with 1. DJ outward off stage 2. Airdodge or 3. a fast aerial , its not difficult to adapt to but i think you can get it once a match IF you find some kind of throw mix up to do with it at the edge

Now that i think about it Dthrowing off stage>SH fair in place would work wouldnt it? And if covers all of the options that you would do against the footstool>Dair

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
the way I see it, if you can downthrow in that situation, you might as well set up a super easy techchase. It's like this:
1. Down throw close enough to the ledge that roll away and no roll are basically the same
2. wavedash back to avoid the getup attack. WD back also puts you in a great position to catch a roll into stage
3a. If they don't roll into stage, JC grab on reaction to catch their option.
3b. If they do roll into the stage, pivot grab to keep your direction correct and walk them back into position.
4. When the time is right, tranq, c4, launch them for the KO.

Even if you don't get the kill, you can get a cool 30-60% from this, whereas that kill setup is really inconsistent. SH Fair doesn't cover the wait or the delayed reaction as well. The best I can see is to turnaround WD to ledge into a ledgedrop rising dair or Bair.

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Spring meaning they get bounced off the ground?
That's how all meteors work (and the fourth hit of Snake's down air is included). If they're on the ground, they get popped up. If they're in the air, they get sent down. The SDI can make a difference, but more often it's the result of high damage allowing the character to rise in the air through the first three hits. Since they're in the air, they get sent to the floor. I would personally cover this with a jab to get the reset if you're noticing it happens a lot.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Hey =V

*Zen just got back into PM so we might get to see some *Zen vs Leon action soon and I want to be able to give proper commentary of that when it happens since they're the two best French players by a margin. In case you don't know these funny fellows, they're respectively Charizard and Snake.
Could somebody explain to me how the matchup goes ? I've seen *Zen vs Prof Pro this summer in person but I'd like to know more.
From my understanding, the reasons Charizard loses it are :
-what makes Charizard work is that he's a fatty with a good recovery, which lets him actually profit of his heavy weight (unlike Bowser/DK) and have superior survivability compared to the rest of the cast. But Snake doesn't care about that, because he mostly kills from the top, not the side or by edgeguarding.
-Charizard likes platform camping (*Zen especially), but that simply doesn't work against Snake, between being able to crouch under platform pressure, being able to plant C4 through shields, and his janky upB land cancel into grab technique.
But Charizard still has a couple of strengths worth taking into account, such as :
-his great ground speed, which lets him force Snake to approach, something he's kinda really bad at.
-his absurd range, which Snake doesn't like because it allows him to deal with hit projectiles without trading.
-not really relying on edgeguards (even though nair is great for that kind of application) means Snake's infinite recovery won't really be a very important factor except on stage with huge blastzones like Dreamland.

I need more details though, such as what stages you would tend to ban/CP, in example. Any other info is good to have =3

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Charizard really isn't very good against Snake lol. his ground speed doesn't matter much due to his high startup. Snake I've found can Cypher Cancel Nair anything that Charizard throws at him. Charizard's large hurtbox makes getting C4s and combos extremely easy, as well as making grenades extremely hazardous for 'zard. None of Charizard's moves outrange grenades and mines either wtf? There's no disjoint that can hit mines safely besides I think ZSS's side b. Charizard only has fire for that. Charizard definitely should be edgeguarding Snake though. With the 3.5 decay formula, Snake needs to get hit a lot out of his UpB. Charizard also has a meteor which can break through Cypher, so that should definitely be exploited as well.

Charizard should be using down throw to tech chase as well as he can, but the Snake can get out of that relatively well via roll away or tech in place into Cypher. Meanwhile, Snake can down throw tech chase Charizard 100% on reaction and gets free f-tilts, tranqs, et al on Charizards that wait. Snake has a fine time in the matchup and only really needs to be wary of close side blast zones like GHZ. He wins on nearly every other stage.

BND

Smash Apprentice
Not motivated at the moment to theorycraft, unfortunately, though I can safely say there are multiple moves that can blow up mines when spaced properly, Ike's fair/fsmash/up smash and Ivysaur's back air being the primary offenders.
Of course, you shouldn't actually be doing that to blow up grenades/mines, since the spacing requirement is pretty strict.

Last edited:

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
Is it safe/necessary to blow up opponent and f-air them as an edgeguard?

Doraki

Smash Lord
There's no disjoint that can hit mines safely besides I think ZSS's side b. Charizard only has fire for that.
um.. nair, bair, flamethrower, dtilt, and probably heatwave and dsmash (i've never tried them) can all destroy mines safely.
Of course this all isn't as good as simply running onto it and shielding.

I still don't get why snake's dthrow does 14% when he just carefully puts me on the ground, like, tucking me in bed. 14% ?????

Last edited:

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
I still don't get why snake's dthrow does 14% when he just carefully puts me on the ground, like, tucking me in bed. 14% ?????
The funny part is that's his strongest throw lol

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
I've been utilizing d-throw in a lot of my gameplay. And it helps a lot with mine trapping and just racking up a crap ton of damage. I am still practicing with characters with fast techs. Crouching also helps because some character's get-up attacks whiff over snake.

cisyphus

Smash Ace
People don't yet realize how godlike down throw is. It's arguably his best throw overall, since it sets up easy-mode tech chases on THE ENTIRE CAST at ANY PERCENT. It's better vs. floaties than up throw, and It's even more useful against fastfallers in a variety of scenarios (both position- and percentage-based). It's actually really similar to Charizard's, but even Charizard's allows the opponent to tech. I'd also like to make a list of all of the get-up attacks Snake ducks under if that really is true! That's massive knowledge to have. Simply ducking a getup attack maintains options to dash to chase rolls and also gives the option of crawl tilt into JC regrab, which may actually shield stab? lots of questions overall.

I have a rough guide of the roll lengths of every character on my data spreadsheet for all interested. That should help to eyeball proper distances for mine coverage, to recognize who is difficult to follow on reaction (mewtwo is basically impossible), and the like. This is why I think G&W and Squirtle matchups are theoretically 100% free: one grab can equal an infinite tech chase into u throw KO—I should definitely look into u-throw KO percents again for floaties, yeah? I originally gave it up to lighten the data load, but it's proving to be a useful statistic again.

Anyway: why I came to this thread was to discuss the possibilities of shield pressure for Snake—none of his aerials are positive on shield, but Snake has a unique aspect similar to DJC that my friends Tap (resident Yoshi main) and Frost (Lucas main) pointed out to me: Snake's UpB shortens his SH height considerably (Frost's point) and it can also turn him around (Tap's point). This means that you can theoretically reverse UpB on someone's shield and cross-up nair, which would be 100% safe on shield and potentially bait out a shield grab or aerial which can be punished via grab or u-tilt or f-tilt. More testing needed of course, but there's just one aspect with which to start exploring. I think as well that vs. characters with shorter grab ranges, Snake should be able to space out bair, nair, and possibly fair on shield and not risk getting shieldgrabbed. Cypher cancels again help to keep these attacks lower to the ground, which means they're lower on shield, which means that you land sooner afterward and get closer to that optimal -3 or -4 on shield.

"Cypher Cancel" is also the best term for acting out of Cypher, I think. I heard MikeHaggar use it while commentating Prof vs. Leffen and really liked it.

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
Anyway: why I came to this thread was to discuss the possibilities of shield pressure for Snake—none of his aerials are positive on shield, but Snake has a unique aspect similar to DJC that my friends Tap (resident Yoshi main) and Frost (Lucas main) pointed out to me: Snake's UpB shortens his SH height considerably (Frost's point) and it can also turn him around (Tap's point). This means that you can theoretically reverse UpB on someone's shield and cross-up nair, which would be 100% safe on shield and potentially bait out a shield grab or aerial which can be punished via grab or u-tilt or f-tilt. More testing needed of course, but there's just one aspect with which to start exploring. I think as well that vs. characters with shorter grab ranges, Snake should be able to space out bair, nair, and possibly fair on shield and not risk getting shieldgrabbed. Cypher cancels again help to keep these attacks lower to the ground, which means they're lower on shield, which means that you land sooner afterward and get closer to that optimal -3 or -4 on shield.

"Cypher Cancel" is also the best term for acting out of Cypher, I think. I heard MikeHaggar use it while commentating Prof vs. Leffen and really liked it.
So basically our up-B is a shine xD

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys know how to deal with diddy? his bananas/peanuts always mess over my mines :(. And how do I force an approach on him?

cisyphus

Smash Ace
I'm realizing more and more how shinelike cypher really is! at higher percents, the hitstun gets pretty substantial, so you can use it a bit like a falco shine to persist.

As for diddy, I mean, it's a character with really great movement and a strong projectile game, so he wins the neutral and you need to be the one approaching. Cypher Cancel Nair beats all of his projectiles with proper timing and once you get in on Diddy you can take it a loooong way. He falls into the Roy and ZSS combo weight class, which means he gets comboed to absolute ****.

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Here is a breakdown of Ike's Up B that I started to type up but want to confine to Snake boards for right now. Baseline of theorycraft since Ike is rather troublesome to edgeguard at times.

1. Ike Hurtbox
1-24 vulnerable
25-37 light armor
38-end vulnerable

2. Sword Hitbox
1-17 No hitboxes
18 first hitbox, in front of Ike
19 No hitbox, no armor
20-37 "projectile sword" hitboxes
38 Ike starts to rise, no hitboxes
46-57 Ike grabs the sword and spins
58-63 No hitboxes
64-end sword held in front while descending

3. Interaction of the two, color-coded for what I feel are degrees of safety: Safe || || || || || || ||Unsafe
1-17 Ike is completely vulnerable
18 Ike is vulnerable from behind, above, and below
19 Ike is completely vulnerable

20-21 sword stays close enough to Ike to be a threat
22-24 The sword rises higher above Ike, who's vulnerable on all sides
25-37 Ike is in light armor, hits that would result in tumble break this
38-45 Ike is vulnerable with no hitboxes
46 Ike has his sword over his head, vulnerable from below

47-48 Ike swings his sword forward, vulnerable from behind
49 Ike flips upside-down, vulnerable from above

50-51 Ike reverses his 47-48 position, vulernable from in front
52 Ike returns to 46 and the cycle repeats until 64

64-67 No hitboxes, Ike is vulnerable
68 Sword is held in front of Ike, vulnerable from behind

So what is my answer? Ledge Drop Fast Fall Bair. The ledge grants 37 frames. The ideal time in my mind to punish this in general are frames 38-45 where Ike is rising up with no hitboxes. Snake, however, can go much lower for edgeguards than other characters, so a single hard read (or proper stage striking) can net you really free edgeguards if you get Ike far enough away. This is really good for me since my usual system of C4, Mine, and ledgegrab coverage doesn't work vs. Ike's disjointed up b.

Important stats to consider:
Snake's Back air comes out on frame 8.
Snake's Back air hitboxes stay active for 17 frames (frames 8 to 24).
Snake's Back air is IASA 39—this duration approximately returns Snake to his original doublejump position (meaning you don't die if you're fast).
Snake's fast fall takes him to Ike's sweetspot position in 18 frames.
Snake's Cypher (undecayed) will return Snake safely to the ledge despite going so low to edgeguard.

What I'm essentially suggesting is that, should your timing be on point, Snake is 100% capable of edgeguarding Ike with invincible back airs by fast falling from ledge. Set yourself up on stage so that you can wavedash to ledge (~20 frames) when the Ike gets close to his prime spot. Wavedashing after this will make hitting that window more difficult. If you're within say 10 frames, you still have enough time to catch Ike at the tail end of his light armor (10 frames late + 8 frame ledgegrab + 17 frames to position and execute back air = frame 35). This is all experimental, of course, but I'll definitely be trying this out the next time I play an Ike. This same idea surely works with other vertically-focused recoveries.

Ledgehop bair also regrabs ledge pretty liberally, so this should even be useful against direct horizontal recoveries (although you can just Cypher through spacies' side-bs for extra swag). I might have to create some kind of edgeguarding flow chart in my free time once my exams are over (one more week!) so expect a lot of Snake development to be posted here shortly.

Last edited:

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
Can you ledge drop b-air to ike as he comes up to his ragnell (during his up-b)

cisyphus

Smash Ace
WEAK HIT UP AIR. Oh my lord this is really good vs. fast fallers to extend your combos just a little bit more. Like, it true combos with f-air. lol Just do FH fast falls during throw combos near the ledge and it's instant spike

Last edited:

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
You think weak u-air into stick is possible?

Another question, when you charge d-smash, does the mine become more "invisible"?

cisyphus

Smash Ace
If weak u-air into f-air works then stick definitely works. I'll be down to test more after I get the down throw guide more finished

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys ever use the C4 for it's other uses? Like stage control with mines and mortars? I feel that it's people just use it as a kill move instead of a multi-purpose item

yink059

Smash Cadet
Do you guys ever use the C4 for it's other uses? Like stage control with mines and mortars? I feel that it's people just use it as a kill move instead of a multi-purpose item
usually when I'm high% and finish off a stock, just trying to rack up damage before they close out my stock. Other than that maybe out of desperation if I don't have it on them and they are too high % to (e.g.) up throw sticky. Or something.

Last edited:

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
usually when I'm high% and finish off a stock, just trying to rack up damage before they close out my stock. Other than that maybe out of desperation if I don't have it on them and they are too high % to (e.g.) up throw sticky. Or something.
i meant in a sense of using it in neutral as a trap setup. It kind of helps considering mines are pretty easy to destroy

cisyphus

Smash Ace
I use it for a lot of things honestly. If I have my opponent stuck and they have a good meteor/spike I'll detonate it while recovering so I have a safe way back. If you notice them shield it, you can fake them out and get them stuck in their shield for a bit which does the same thing. I'll use it for edgeguards as well in the sense that you can C4 to stage spike them or C4 to setup for a fair spike. I've considered planting it on stage walls to get surprise hits on recovering opponents who hug the walls (Ike, Sheik, Fox, Marth, etc.). Besides that, I'll use it to cover platforms against recoveries that can reach them in tandem with a mine WD to ledge setup so that I can theoretically punish everything. It's good for stopping juggles by dropping it while you're in the air and you can actually wavebounce it to change your momentum for a mixup. I also use it vs. slow-rising floaties to platform camp (Kirby, Peach, Puff) by sitting on top platform with a mine on one of the side platforms and a C4 on the other, with a grenade preventing any sharking. I definitely use it a lot lol. You definitely don't NEED it to be your finishing move given Snake's super strong options of b/f/d-throw into mine, grenade bubble blasts, fair, bair, f-tilt, f-smash, u-tilt, uair, and even u-throw in some matchups.

Last edited:

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
C4 when they try to spike/meteor you, I've never really thought of that lol. I always up-b out of reaction in hopes that they get hit. Isn't sticking to stage walls kinda risky considering you will get punished if they land their up-b on you. And ya I've been using C4 on platforms against alot of slow characters to limit their momentum and punish off misses, it's helps a ton.
And ya wavebounces/ B-reverse is what i'm trying to practice now because how much mixup possibilities there are and not many people will expect them. I've yet to put wavebounce C4 into muscle memory cause I find it weird, but it will come to me lol.

What opportunities does f-smash come in play? I never really get to use it unless it's for bait, considering it's pretty darn weak (with endlag) unless the 3rd hit connects.

Pardon me for the noob question, but what is grenade bubble blasts or sharking? This is the first time i've heard of it.

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Not when they try to spike, but before they do. Prophylaxis kinda move, but it's nice vs. Marth. As for sticking to the walls, I mean, C4 stays there the entire stock, so you could theoretically set it up nonchalantly between stocks or at the very start of an edgeguard.

Honestly I never f-smash because f-tilt serves basically the same function but has a better first hitbox and a semi-spike angle. It sets up edgeguards way better and I'd say to use that before anything else. This gets me into my control scheme a bit as well: replace your Smash c-stick with Attack c-stick so that you get:
1. f-tilt instead of f-smash
2. jab and tilts on your backward and forward diagonals (both top and bottom)
3. Nair on all four diagonals.

This helps with doing down cancelled f-tilts to punish missed techs, makes jab cancels and f-tilt cancels really easy, and allows for max distance nair from ledge. Only downfall is you can't buffer ledge getups with it, and sometimes you miss aerials if you're bad like me and can't hit the proper areas. The benefits are massive tho.

bubble blast is when you KO someone while they're off screen in the little circle. Basically tossing a grenade up at them when they're high up = bubble blast KO.

Sharking is where you use a hitbox to break the surface of a platform—it's like a shark fin. Imagine Marth u-tilt or u-air on a platform: that's what I'm referring to.

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I never f-smash because f-tilt serves basically the same function but has a better first hitbox and a semi-spike angle. It sets up edgeguards way better and I'd say to use that before anything else. This gets me into my control scheme a bit as well: replace your Smash c-stick with Attack c-stick so that you get:
1. f-tilt instead of f-smash
2. jab and tilts on your backward and forward diagonals (both top and bottom)
3. Nair on all four diagonals.

This helps with doing down cancelled f-tilts to punish missed techs, makes jab cancels and f-tilt cancels really easy, and allows for max distance nair from ledge. Only downfall is you can't buffer ledge getups with it, and sometimes you miss aerials if you're bad like me and can't hit the proper areas. The benefits are massive tho.
can you still do f-air, b-air, u-air, and d-air with attack c-stick? Cause it says Nair in 4 diagonals

Last edited:
Top Bottom