• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A smash club at your school!! (updated, read pg. 24, #356)

Cort

Apple Head
You should probably just make it a general videogaming club and introduce smash as one of the games. See if your A/V department can let you use a bunch of TVs... and possibly set some things up. See if you can run a successful tournament with a few friends...

Then who knows..

MDZ

Smash Journeyman
Armstrong B.C Canada. It's in the Okanagan, so if
Intersting school you have there. Where is it at? Canada? Well I really don't know how its like to go to school in Canada :p How is it like? I can never imagine my school having gamers like what you said earlier. haha That would so scary.

In my school, we've got around 3,000 students and the racial probabilty are most Mexican/Hispanic and the other half are Asians.

Is it really impossible to have a gaming club at your school, MDZ?
Armstrong B.C Canada :p Small town in the Okanagan. It's a great school and all, the lessons being taught are great, it's just it's such a small, white (yea, there's hardly any other races than white in my town) town making it quite boring as there isn't any multi-cultural events or anything, and everyone shares the same interest. The same people that enjoy watching anime and reading good books are the same ones I described earlier.

It's not impossible, just highly improbable that it would work out. Though it would be impossible to do so without having some sort of reputation ruined :p

iankobe

Smash Lord
So far the my club will be located in the D builiding (a history class builidng), which has a lot of TVs in every classroom. There will be no problem of getting TVs.

MDZ: My advice for you is try to get a recommdation from a teacher. Also try to find an advisor that will support you. The advisor is basically the teacher.

Captain_Obvious

Smash Journeyman
As was mentioned earlier, just because your school doesn't support a club doesn't mean it can't happen. Your club can be extra-curricular, using the school only as a way of communicating with a large concentration of like-minded students. If you talk to game stores in your area (GameCrazy, Gamestop, EB Games, etc) they may be able to set you up with a tournament venue. Otherwise, you can fundraise on your own (take a cut from tourneys, sell pizza and pop at events, etc) and either use someone's house as a venue or use a community center (these are nice, if you have one).

Just some ideas in case your school's uptight.

- Captain R.D. Obvious

Blood Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Sadly, my school is way to small to even have a regular club be successful, let alone have one on one specific game rather than games in general. What also annoys me is that the people in my school that do play video games are kids with horrible hygiene, lisps, either really fat or really skinny, dandriff, and are really boring people to hang out with, so everyone who plays video games is basically afraid to admit it.

:(
Ohhh that must suck. In my school, people admit what they play when it comes to things like Maple Story or World of Warcraft. Sadly, I'm the only one in my school who plays smash and still feel afraid to admit that since no one knows about it. Now if only I can somehow let smash be played in an RPG club...

FireBomb

Smash Lord
We have a Game & Anime club at our school(still trying to seperate the 2 groups). Every wednesday at lunch there's gonna be games played in a classroom... Last week they had the cube and everything but no smash bros! So tomorrow we'll take care of all of that. It's funny...there's this one guy who makes fun of my friend and thinks he sucks (but he doesn't anymore) and now he's being challenged to a money match. My buddy is gonna beat him so bad I can't wait to see the look on that face when he loses. He also has like, 0 respect for charcters like Yoshi and Mario. Makes everything all the more sweeter.

iankobe

Smash Lord
We have a Game & Anime club at our school(still trying to seperate the 2 groups). Every wednesday at lunch there's gonna be games played in a classroom... Last week they had the cube and everything but no smash bros! So tomorrow we'll take care of all of that. It's funny...there's this one guy who makes fun of my friend and thinks he sucks (but he doesn't anymore) and now he's being challenged to a money match. My buddy is gonna beat him so bad I can't wait to see the look on that face when he loses. He also has like, 0 respect for charcters like Yoshi and Mario. Makes everything all the more sweeter.
I gotta admit, I hate people that challenges ppl when they don't even know who they are talking to. Now he's criticizing Mario and Yoshi? Man you should also challenge him another mm while using Mario and beat the crap out of him. (well it depends who he use :p)

Anyway, anime club combining with a video game club? That's weird isn't it? I thin there are people that doesnt like to watch anime while they like to play games. Wouldn't it be weird if two groups of people are forced to stay together??

Do you guys share TV?

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
We have a Games Club and Nintendo DS club at our school. I'm a first year though and I have no clue what's going on exactly. Our library has a games room so that's where I assume the meetings will be held. There's usually a cube and smash running in the games room, but they only seem to play FFAs with 3 stock and nobody's very good =(

The first meeting for the games club should be soon and hopefully people who aren't always in the library games room will be good? My friend would like that. He's like 5x better than me and desperately wants someone to play =p

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
So we ended up attaching ourselves to ITCC (they already hosted LAN parties and everything). We're planning to host a fundraiser tourney to cover the cost of a club gamecube (right now i donated my gc).

Having a club at school let us have a bit of smash during lunch and breaks, as well as a bit afterschool, but we still play a lot of smash at each other's houses.

And so our goal is to improve the skill level at our school.... right now I can't short hop consistently (so god**** unnatural!), and the people at our school who have a chance at beating me can be counted on one hand. >.<.

fenixkaldoran

Smash Apprentice
I just started a official college club. It is based on academic enhancement but I try to get alot of gamers in it...I am going to try to through tourneys once in a while...I am currect VP of the club and it is starting to built momentum....wish me luck !

Questor96

Smash Journeyman
I actually got an ok from a friend, so I'm running tournaments and such through his club, the MOSES & ME (Making Our School Environment Superior & More Enjoyable) Club. Supposedly my school has some kickass smashers, and even more people who want to learn, so I could have something pretty cool going soon.

KitsuneXXX

Smash Cadet
My school has a video game club. We play smash. Sadly though, even if you get 1st outta 4 plyr deathmatch, you still have to give up the controller. That pisses me off.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I gotta admit, I hate people that challenges ppl when they don't even know who they are talking to. Now he's criticizing Mario and Yoshi? Man you should also challenge him another mm while using Mario and beat the crap out of him. (well it depends who he use :p)

Anyway, anime club combining with a video game club? That's weird isn't it? I thin there are people that doesnt like to watch anime while they like to play games. Wouldn't it be weird if two groups of people are forced to stay together??

Do you guys share TV?
Yeah it's unusual...one side of the room was watching anime on the TV and we were playing games on the projector on the other side. I don't know why they can't just seperate the 2, it doesn't seem that hard.
Ugh...as much as I rather not admit it, my friend who was a Yoshi lost to that guy who was a Samus. It was too close! They had almost the same % on the last life. So he lost $5 lol.

But anyway...last spring, the Game & Anime club held a Smash Tourney at the high school. When I compare it to the other tourneys I've been to, I think it was poorly run. My friends could make a better tourney than that! But still, it had an amazing amount of energy that I have yet to have seen up to this day. If it happens again, there's going to be dramatic changes...

Captain_Obvious

Smash Journeyman
I just started a official college club. It is based on academic enhancement but I try to get alot of gamers in it...I am going to try to through tourneys once in a while...I am currect VP of the club and it is starting to built momentum....wish me luck !
What do you mean "based on academic enhancement"?

- Captain R.D. Obvious

fenixkaldoran

Smash Apprentice
My school has a video game club. We play smash. Sadly though, even if you get 1st outta 4 plyr deathmatch, you still have to give up the controller. That pisses me off.
wtf kinda rulle is dat? we always leave atleast top 2......all 4 gotta go? tell ya n00b friends to get nice so dat they don't always come 3 or 4th.....da rule is wak son

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Actually, what the people at my school did was have a list, sign your name, first 4 on list shall melee, top 2 get to stay and only the next to are able to play. There's like NO time to make up rules like things since lunch lasts a little more than 45 min. I didn't even get a chance to play.

What was worse is that some genius said "Hay guyz lets play 4 player melee wit 5 stock and go to Hyrule Temple LOL!" or something like that. They have poor organization, something I believe my crew alone could change dramatically.

InfiniteGXT

Smash Journeyman
I started a gaming/ Smash club at my school last year. But everyone sucks except me and they pose no competition and are all n00bs who like playing FFA and spam cheap attacks like Fsmashes and Up Bs with link. Im teaching them though :)

cllzzrd

Smash Apprentice
In my school we have a gaming club, but there is always smash there, it is fun to watch a noob get putinto a game against me and 2 of the other really good players.

KitsuneXXX

Smash Cadet
It does suck that they won't let you play more than one match in a row. Last time I went, I even won 3/4 games! And last year the top 2 would stay in. But now they have this crappy rule, why? Because 200 people come to play 360! There isn't that many people who play smash, but even then, we still get booted because some noob wants to play.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Hey firebomb, you go to Newark Memorial?
Our school in Fremont has a handful of good smashers, but i was wondering, how do you guys get an advisor to approve of the club? And when you write the paperwork, what is there to write to convince the school to allow the club?

Like, fundraisers, charity, or do we just say it's "A way for students to relax after hours upon hours of studying"?

Anyone can answer my question o.0 please.

thefusion

Smash Ace
I started one at my school this year. In fact, today was our club day. We attracted over 130 members.

It would have been denied as a club otherwise, so I told our administration it was about smashing racism, negativity, stereotypes, and lots of other bad stuff. It still got denied, so I had to revive it.

But yeah, we've got a Smash Club at our school now.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Yup I go to Newark Memorial.
As for starting the club, I'm not really sure how that works. We have a teacher who's with all of them during club hours so I'm guessing he approved of everything. But yeah, I kinda just walked in the room and found everyone going crazy, I wasn't there when it started. If I get the chance, I'll ask how they got the club going.

DaHellKnightz

Smash Cadet
Who cares? But I'm right next to Rick James grind
oh..no idea if we have any teachers in our school willing to become a smash advisor -_-
If you have a teacher you've known for a while that likes you and/or respects your opinions, you might be able to get one to do it. I managed to get a teacher I had for 4 different classes through the span of 2 years to sponsor ours, and truthfully, I don't think he would've done it for many other people that are in our school.

The club itself is a nice thing when it's either small or with a lot of good people. It's kinda annoying when you have 60+ people and 99.999999% of the people are complete scrubs. Makes a lot more work :(

FireBomb

Smash Lord
The sad thing is that we are not a 100% Smash club. It's only one of the games they play. And I can't stand it! First, I want the Game & Anime club to become 2 seperate groups, and once that's happened, we should focus on making a Smash dedicated club. But it's true, the club would be full of complete n00bs who think they're good but they aren't and I want to punch all their faces in.

iankobe

Smash Lord
All you have to do is talk to your favorite teacher through it. There are actually teachers that likes to play video games. Go for those teachers.

You at least have to try...you'll never know...:)

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Yeah, I have an MCA class full of computers and when lunch starts, they go in to play games online when they can. My teacher is into that stuff.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Woah, thats scarily similar to what we have, or had in our school.

It had the same name:Anime and Gaming Club, or AGC for short, and met on the same day every week: Wednsdays. I only went for the gaming part, or in reality the Smash part of it. We had tournaments and crap for the last couple years, but now since the town budget didn't pass, clubs and activities are no longer free. Why bother paying to play smash with n00bs in the first place?

DokturSea

Smash Lord
I know that my school's football team holds Smash tournys every now and again, but its "jocks only". They probably all suck anyway. I heard one guytalking about how "rockin" Donkey Kong's side B move is. Yeah...

Rock Lobsta

Smash Journeyman
I wish my highschool had a smash club. I'm not really a nerd, so i wouldnt start one. I might be the best player in the school, but i dont know. i wish i did.

iankobe

Smash Lord
The objective of my smash club at school is to teach whoever likes to play smash but don't know anything about it(SHFFLC, WD, etc.). In my area there aren't many people that knows how to play smash "right" and this is part of the reason why I made this club.

Well, there are also a quite people that knows how to play smash the "serious" way, and so this is also for the ones who likes to compete against each other. (most of them are the members...)

YangFuShang

Smash Apprentice
Our school has "Video game club" and basically we just play video games like halo,smash, and DDR. I only go there there to play ddr and smash. There are some weird people tho.....

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
My school has an "anime and gaming" club, and we mostly play SSBM, because me and my crew all attend the same school...so we force them all to play.
:D I tried teaching the less-informed, but they told me I was gay and they could beat me without it. xD I'm currently tied for rank number one with my teamate.

bbb

Smash Champion
Our school has "Video game club" and basically we just play video games like halo,smash, and DDR. I only go there there to play ddr and smash. There are some weird people tho.....
That's my school, except take out halo and replace DDR with Guitar Hero. Everyone in the club sucks though, at everything.

HylianLord

Smash Ace
our school is unfortunate enough to have the gaming club denied last year. my friends had an advisor and support and everything, its just they weren't convincing enough or something so club council denied them ><. right now a friend is attempting to make a gaming club at my school, so i'm going to try to become officer (if it passes) to spread smash.

but for ppl who are president of gaming / smash club, what approaches did u guys take? the thing with our previous gaming club was that it "wasn't necessary" and could be done after school (sorry no time to read through all 6 pages T_T). so far the only argument i've come up with is to promote strategically gaming opposed to mindless / time wasting / thoughtless cstick spamming etc. like what are some things i can do to convince club council that a smash club is needed T_T?

Devl

Smash Journeyman
i wish the university im at had a smash club or something like that this is such a sweet idea. someone i think brought up college smash competitions a long time ago on these boards, and i think that would be a great idea to kinda tie into this...espn 2 here we come...

iankobe

Smash Lord
our school is unfortunate enough to have the gaming club denied last year. my friends had an advisor and support and everything, its just they weren't convincing enough or something so club council denied them ><. right now a friend is attempting to make a gaming club at my school, so i'm going to try to become officer (if it passes) to spread smash.

but for ppl who are president of gaming / smash club, what approaches did u guys take? the thing with our previous gaming club was that it "wasn't necessary" and could be done after school (sorry no time to read through all 6 pages T_T). so far the only argument i've come up with is to promote strategically gaming opposed to mindless / time wasting / thoughtless cstick spamming etc. like what are some things i can do to convince club council that a smash club is needed T_T?
At our school, we need to come up with a constitution and have the advisor of clubs, the principal, and the asst. principal to approve it in order to have the club active.

I'll share a little bit about what I put on my constitution:
- Goals and purposes
For students to get away from the stress of school by socializing and playing Nintendo GameCube’s Super Smash Bro. Melee. Club will also fundraise and host tournaments for T-shirts, game controllers and such. The President will also provide a new technique for the game in every meeting. Other activities like board games will be played in the club occasionally. We also try to make this club to maintain peace and friendship throughout playing games.

- Membership requirements
Anyone from 9th-12th grade is able to join. A 2.5 GPA minimum is required for members to join. A tryout will be held during the school year. (TBD) Members will need to have a positive, polite, and friendly attitude at all times in order to stay in the club.

- Any affiliation with any outside organization
N/A

- Methods of financing
Fundraising by selling food such as candies and candy apples. We also plan to participate in the Food Fair during the school year. We plan to have a tournament every two weeks (give or take) to raise money.

- Organizational and student structure
We plan to have a position for President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Sergeant of Arms. The roster of position: BLAH BLAH BLAH.

And also, we need at least 10 members that are interested in the club too.

Hope that helped you.

Top Bottom