• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A smash club at your school!! (updated, read pg. 24, #356)

iankobe

Smash Lord
Hey Smashers!

Do any of you have a Smash club/Gaming club at your school? I was just wondering if there are any of you that has one could share a little about it.

Recently I'm forming a Smash club at my own school and its going to be our first year doing so. Tell me what you think about this topic and give me suggestions! (e.g. Fundraisers during tournaments, activities, tutorials, etc.)

Thanks!

Blood Falcon

Smash Journeyman
lol i wish i had such a club in my school. sadly no one plays smash in my school and the closest thing to a smash club is an RPG club.

EDIT: maybe plan a few STD's and some tourneys once in a while, you formed the club, be creative =D

EDIT 2: BTW, sorry about the confusion

Miharu

Smash Hero
Haha, we're in the same boat; We just got ours started at school 2 weeks ago.

Right now it's a bit informal, but we're planning to get some tourneys going soon. The main topic of concentration right now is improvement, since most people at my school can't perform half of the basic advanced techs properly.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Btw, the Club is at a High school, not a college...unfortunately.

Actually I'm planning to fundraise enough money to get a Wii. Fundraisers will be including selling candy bars, candy apples, hosting tournaments, and optional trainings.

Suggestions?

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I wish I had a club in my school. That'd be awesome.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
I'd give my right arm (well, not really, then I couldn't play Smash) to form a Smash club at our school, but they'll never go for it. We tried to get a fencing club started, and they wouldn't do that either... Uptight *******s.

Captain_Obvious

Smash Journeyman
A friend and I started a Smash club at my university. We can get university funds for travel expenses, food, and advertising, and we can get free venues for tourneys and Smashfests. This will be our first full year running, but I spent the summer working up a ranking and tournament system, and we already have 75 members (with more to come, I've got a great recruiting opportunity coming up). If you have any questions about how to run such a club, go ahead and PM me, and I'll give you whatever help I can.

- Captain R.D. Obvious

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
We have a video game club at our school. It's freaking awesome. There are around 10 decent smashers at Apollo High (my school) and we've been hosting SmashFests in the media center for about three years now. We got a brand new media center this year and we've reserved a room for our Smash needs--we've got two TVs, three GCNs, and a five-foot projector and screen. It's a pretty sweet set up, and we have a lot of fun. The trick is to talk to the right people and get a faculty member that actually likes you to agree to sponsor the club. Since we got this new Media Center, we've had a lot more space because we used to share the library with the Yu-Gi-Oh! card players--they were extremely loud.

the Marronator

Smash Ace
LOL I guess im in the same boat as most people. Last year, I made a video game club (we call it virtual club), and it is really quite fun. We mostly play smash, since everybody seems to like it, but most of them are n00bs. I've gotten quite a few people to start using advanced tecniques, though, and one from last year actually is doing well in the main Co smash scene (Bloshi).

Kais

Smash Ace
YES...that I do.

SWF user IronChief and I started a smash club at our high school in Maine for two reasons.

1. We desparately need people to play against.

and

2. Teaching somebody helps you learn something even better.

Our club is more like the third smash crew in Maine. Entitled "Southern Maine Smash Crew" (working title...>_>), we hold meetings after school every Tuesday/Thursday. Tuesday we teach how 2v2 should be played and just practice it. Thursday is the same except that it's with singles.

We try to hold our own small noob tournaments at the school so people can see their progress. There is an entry fee ($5 - singles, $2 - teams) but all the money goes towards buying pizza after the tourney. If you do things this way with your noobs, they won't be all depressed that they suck. Plus, they'll have a good time in the process knowing that their money isn't wasted.

On top of those tournaments, I also run MST in Maine the first Saturday of every month which is open to all smashers across the state and in New England in order to provide not only a hardcore gaming experience (KoreanDJ comes to each tournament) but also to give the noobs an option on how they want to play.

The BIGGEST thing you need to remember should you choose that your club will provide a learning experience is this: even though the advanced techniques might not seem like a big deal to you anymore, pressuring the noobs to learn them will turn them off to smash completely. Give them time; they will learn if they truly want to. And if not? Hey, you've got some practice.

Hope that helped.

~ Kais

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
I know what you mean about the point of a Smash Club being for improving. When I started playing Smash January of 2006, the crew that played was rumored to be pretty good. I was used to the relatively slow paced action of SSB 64. I hadn't bought a Game Cube yet.I went to one of the Gamer's Club meetings and I was invited to play by my good friend. I decided to try it because of how much I liked the 64 version. Before I even picked up a controller, I searched the net and came upon this site. I read, I saw the advanced techniques, but thought nothing of it. When it came time to play with them, I got destroyed; Fox was just to delicate for me and I Illusioned and FAir'd my way off of the screen three times a match. But I was determined. They went to a tournament that weekend with fresh egos and decided they were not going to lose a single match. They were ***** viciously by a player I remember seeing on SWF named Treeko, from AZ. They were disillusioned. When I heard of this I decided to absorb as much as I could from this site. I read of wavedashing and on my second meeting with the club, I surprised them. The best player on the crew couldn't even WD. Anyway, I bought my own cube and I learned to L-Cancel (Only one person in the crew knew about it). Today, only eight months later, I waveshine, upsmash, and Doc Punch, all of my friends into peeing on themselves. They now see the error of their ways and have learned to L-Cancel. They've really improved since I reached out to them.The point is, Smash is a never ending strife towards perfection. The more people you play, and the more time you spend learning on SFW, the more people you meet at tournaments, the more friends you make, thus delaying suicide.

In other words, Smash to live!

PS-- If you don't have a Gamer's Club of your own, try to make your own. It's good for your self esteem. -- Also, yes, it was just half a year ago that we were total noobs. Though things have changed drastically, some of my crew members still think shield-grabbing is cheap. I'm working on changing that.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Apolo High is a kick*** school name sir :)

My school doesn't have a club, and they probably wouldn't let it happen. But there's always a chance. Who can I ask for permission? Where can I/we set it up? Is it a waste of time? AARRGGHH!

linkapprentice

Smash Apprentice
That really must suck! My uni has a smash game that we play every friday along with other games and the only prob there is that most ppl who play smash there only want to play melee mode FFA and 5 stock mode and it doesn't help much in the mindgames department. Sure it helps with recovery and DI but not with experience as all everyone does is the most powerfully charged up smashes over and over. Or various special moves if they are powerful such as Falcon's Falcon Punch.

Any suggestions on how to improve the smash competition so that there are no noobs or johns downgrading the competition and the game? I was thinking of joining the game club so that I could moderate and organise the smash scene at university. So far its the only uni in Australia that has a gaming scene and a smash scene.

There once was an interstate tourney being held at that uni towards the end of last semester. The smash scene actually went off like a thermonuclear device that semester and there were heaps of good smashers - improved the quality of the smash scene and gave me plenty of experience with developing my characters.

Btw I like your somewhat enematic quote about the school not being a school ha ha. They wouldn't let it happen? You could try organising it like an undercover organisation within the school. Like find a room where there's lots of tvs and get everyone to bring their GCs and smash and practise against each other in lunchtimes or after school finishes.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Apolo High is a kick*** school name sir :)

My school doesn't have a school, and they probably wouldn't let it happen. But there's always a chance. Who can I ask for permission? Where can I/we set it up? Is it a waste of time? AARRGGHH!
Thanks, the reason I chose to go to the school was the name, also, Paul LoDuca and Bob Horner went there.

Anyway, depending on whether your school is a High School or a University, you should talk to anybody involved in computers or lots of TVs. In my case, the library is in charge of all of the TVs. So the librarian sponsored us. But she did make us sign liability waivers.:ohwell:

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Iv'e been trying to get one at my school but it's not working.. I asked about thre teachers if we could hold a simple tournament. The anwser was" no" so we had to set up around and scrounge around and ended up at my house with me helping them showing them stuff ( poor saps ,never even heard of a tech". Well were still trying but since there aern't many people it's not looking to good. Anyone got any ideas to help.

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
ppl who start smash clubs at their school suck *** anyway. they're all like, "omfg u use marfs side-b to recover?"

that having been said, my school just started one, and i havent been to a meeting yet, but next week i plan to mop the floor. apparently there's a lot of interest, but our school has a lot of asians, so i guess that makes sense.

Sk8er4ever714

Smash Apprentice
A Smash club at my school wouldn't work. Last year, in May, the Robotics team held a SSBM/Halo 2/DDR tourney to fundraise money. I haven't been to any tourneys at the time, so I figured this would be a good start. The settings were horrible, FFA with items, on random stage (none banned). I still won and came in first (my friend came in 2nd, who I beat in the finals :p). So everyone in my school sucks at Smash, so it would be pointless to have a Smash club, because it would be me just owning everyone. I think my school is having another tourney this fall...I gotta go own again ;)

So yeah, that's why a Smash club wouldn't work at my school.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
ppl who start smash clubs at their school suck *** anyway. they're all like, "omfg u use marfs side-b to recover?"

that having been said, my school just started one, and i havent been to a meeting yet, but next week i plan to mop the floor. apparently there's a lot of interest, but our school has a lot of asians, so i guess that makes sense.
My school has a smash club. It actually started last year, when the best player was a sheik player who couldn't chain throw, and most matches were FFAs. By the end of the year, we were only doing only 2v2 and 1v1 matches. A lot of us got much better during the course of those few months, and we continued the club this year. Most of us are going to tourneys now.

Smash clubs aren't a total waste of time. Fact.

iankobe

Smash Lord
SWF user IronChief and I started a smash club at our high school in Maine for two reasons.

1. We desparately need people to play against.

and

2. Teaching somebody helps you learn something even better.

Our club is more like the third smash crew in Maine. Entitled "Southern Maine Smash Crew" (working title...>_>), we hold meetings after school every Tuesday/Thursday. Tuesday we teach how 2v2 should be played and just practice it. Thursday is the same except that it's with singles.

We try to hold our own small noob tournaments at the school so people can see their progress. There is an entry fee ($5 - singles, $2 - teams) but all the money goes towards buying pizza after the tourney. If you do things this way with your noobs, they won't be all depressed that they suck. Plus, they'll have a good time in the process knowing that their money isn't wasted.

On top of those tournaments, I also run MST in Maine the first Saturday of every month which is open to all smashers across the state and in New England in order to provide not only a hardcore gaming experience (KoreanDJ comes to each tournament) but also to give the noobs an option on how they want to play.

The BIGGEST thing you need to remember should you choose that your club will provide a learning experience is this: even though the advanced techniques might not seem like a big deal to you anymore, pressuring the noobs to learn them will turn them off to smash completely. Give them time; they will learn if they truly want to. And if not? Hey, you've got some practice.

Hope that helped.

~ Kais

That's exactly what I'm planning to do with my club, Kais! I actually can't believe that there are so many of you that has a smash club at your own local school. The goal of my smash club will be first teaching the noobs the important techniques that they need to know, Bi-weeklies tournament and fundraise money, and the ultimate goal is to get the Wii. (brawl in the future)

After seeing so many of you replying about smash clubs at school, I'm thinking of making a school smashclub organization. Which is something like a crew battle thing but only involved with clubs.

And this coming up week I'll get the club approved and we'll see how everything goes.

Zatren6

Smash Apprentice
Oh, what would Igive to have a smash club at my High School. But they're kinda strict, so I don't know...maybe me and my friends will try making one.

Captain_Obvious

Smash Journeyman
I would be very interested in a Smash Crew League, where Smashers from different schools put together a crew of their best players and go battle it out. It would be awesome.

- Captain R.D. Obvious

PhantomEdge

Smash Journeyman
well right now its just me and my best friend and we both love smash and always go over to eachothers house and play smash for hours on end. we need more people! Glendale California! reply!

Questor96

Smash Journeyman
I'm so temped to make one of these, as finding good people to play is hard for me. I recently found a good group of smashers at my school, and I know there's enough interest to keep it going.

How should I go about finding a teacher to be an advisor? I've never tried to start a club before.

iankobe

Smash Lord
well right now its just me and my best friend and we both love smash and always go over to eachothers house and play smash for hours on end. we need more people! Glendale California! reply!
Hey you live in Glendale? Wanna come over to Alhambra sometimes? We are looking for some good smashers right now and we've got Azn Chef II that's the best in the 626 area.

We'll be welcoming you guys to come and smash with us.

p.s. If you dont know where Alhambra is, its right next to South Pasadena.

MDZ

Smash Journeyman
Armstrong B.C Canada. It's in the Okanagan, so if
Sadly, my school is way to small to even have a regular club be successful, let alone have one on one specific game rather than games in general. What also annoys me is that the people in my school that do play video games are kids with horrible hygiene, lisps, either really fat or really skinny, dandriff, and are really boring people to hang out with, so everyone who plays video games is basically afraid to admit it.

:(

iankobe

Smash Lord
Sadly, my school is way to small to even have a regular club be successful, let alone have one on one specific game rather than games in general. What also annoys me is that the people in my school that do play video games are kids with horrible hygiene, lisps, either really fat or really skinny, dandriff, and are really boring people to hang out with, so everyone who plays video games is basically afraid to admit it.

:(
OHHHH man. That sounds horrible. Its like playing games is a weird thing or something. Just cause the people in your school are like that, it doesn't mean that everybody that play games are dirty/whatever...

Its pretty sad if there aren't ANY clubs at your school.. I mean, how could that be possible? A school without any clubs? My school is just too big and we have way too many clubs. I'm just worrying about if the assistant principal won't approved a smash club...(unfortuntely there are already 2 exisiting gaming clubs already)

pianodude700

Smash Journeyman
wow this whole thread is like one great idea lol.

it's kind of what i've been trying to start at our school, except that since our school is just a very big, strict, paranoid high school, it just wouldn't work. there's no way: we have no place or permission to get it done.

rather, school could just be used as a communication medium for all of the smashers, and then all the actual smashing or tournaments are done outside of school.

Yeah. One of my friends is having a tournament in 3 weeks. Perhaps that could be the start of a big ongoing idea.

Eh sorry for "thinking on paper" here but hey thanks for the ideas lol

MDZ

Smash Journeyman
Armstrong B.C Canada. It's in the Okanagan, so if
OHHHH man. That sounds horrible. Its like playing games is a weird thing or something. Just cause the people in your school are like that, it doesn't mean that everybody that play games are dirty/whatever...

Its pretty sad if there aren't ANY clubs at your school.. I mean, how could that be possible? A school without any clubs? My school is just too big and we have way too many clubs. I'm just worrying about if the assistant principal won't approved a smash club...(unfortuntely there are already 2 exisiting gaming clubs already)
Oh, I know that not all of them are like that, infact I never thought that at all, it's just I was speaking from their point of view when they say all gamers are like that because the gamers who get the most attention in our school are those types of kids.

As for my school not having many clubs; There's only about 750 people in my high-school, and a huge portion of them are inactive stoners. The rest are either farmboys or wiggers. It's funny.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Pianodude700: Hey, no problem man. I just want to let more people know about how fun ssbm is and how big our community is. I've seen people abusing the game at times which makes me mad because it really disrespects the "pro" players and the maker of the game.

Oh, I know that not all of them are like that, infact I never thought that at all, it's just I was speaking from their point of view when they say all gamers are like that because the gamers who get the most attention in our school are those types of kids.

As for my school not having many clubs; There's only about 750 people in my high-school, and a huge portion of them are inactive stoners. The rest are either farmboys or wiggers. It's funny.

Intersting school you have there. Where is it at? Canada? Well I really don't know how its like to go to school in Canada :p How is it like? I can never imagine my school having gamers like what you said earlier. haha That would so scary.

In my school, we've got around 3,000 students and the racial probabilty are most Mexican/Hispanic and the other half are Asians.

Is it really impossible to have a gaming club at your school, MDZ?

Top Bottom