• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A seperate footstool button

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Srsly, we need it. I can't stand how all these players get unintentional footstools for kills and combos. Sometimes, they even mess up your flow because you didn't mean to footstool. With a seperate button specifically made for footstooling, we wouldn't have to deal with these unintentional happenings. We could actually use footstooling purposefully and effectively. Unfortunately, I don't think this will ever happen. This is like Sakurai's hidden C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER! Thoughts?

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I love it when I accidentally footstool someone. :) But I'm one of weird Brawlers who laughs when I get owned by a really cool combo.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Accidental footstools are only good, as you can't tech the landing and the landing has no invincibility frames, so it only means more combo.

You just have to learn the positioning and how to expect it.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I love it when I accidentally footstool someone. :) But I'm one of weird Brawlers who laughs when I get owned by a really cool combo.
Not the only one.
My Kirby friend pulled off a decent combo, I laughed, but I laughed harder when I broke out of it later on and killed him.
Mistakes can really suck.

Anyway....Footstools rock, but they suck as well.
Characters with multiple jumps just annoy me, because if they're above you, chances are you're gonna be footstooled.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Its just all about the timing.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I love the whole footstooling thing, even if it's accidental. It's one of those things (unlike tripping) where you can laugh at it even in the heat of an intense match.

Everytime I footstool, I say, "Ha ha, I just stepped on your head."

Tenki

Smash Hero
You can footstool many characters' non-disjoint U-airs, or even FSJ to get out of their attackbox range during startup lag.

Level 9 computers do it all the time.

As Sonic, I piggyback on other people's recoveries with footstools after spring lol.

The only thing I don't like about trying to fsj intentionally is it usually requires you to spam+lose (or not have) your double jump, so it's kinda hard to do it out of a first jump.

Ilex

Smash Ace
I once won a match from accidentally foot stooling a Marth. They don't have any negative points as far as I'm concerned, so it's not a bad thing if you accidentally footstool.

RetroRhythm

Smash Apprentice
No, it needs to stay on the jump button.

You wouldn't accidently footstool jump if you weren't spamming the jump button so close to the person anyways.

AnAardvark

Smash Journeyman
If it was on a seperate button, wouldn't people just spam that button whenever they're close to the opponent to see if they can get a footstool? Same as air-dogdging in the air, except you don't get any disadvantaged for just mashing the footstool button. :confused: And I like it when I do a footstool and KO someone, it makes me look like I did it on purpose. :)

klapaucius

Smash Apprentice
This is a little like saying there should be a separate button for tilts, so that people don't smash when they mean to tilt.
Of course, the flaw in that analogy is that some people actually do that, but you get the point. Putting such a specialized move on its own little button would complicate things needlessly.

That said, I don't get footstooled by people very often, except by a friend who mains Toon Link, but high-level CPUs tend to love footstooling me.
Peach and Bowser at Level 9 have a tendency to dash towards me, then shorthop into a footstool into a dair.

...This works much more often than it should.

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
What would the FSJ button do when you're on the ground? In the air, away from your opponent? I think 3 jump options is already enough, so if there was a FSJ button, it'd be pretty situational.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Perhaps, replace one of the existing jump buttons?

Y'see, I hate it when I see my opponents drop of the ledge so they can try a dj spike, like with Ness. Then, instead of getting spiked, I get footstooled and I see Ness jump off my head and then dair thin air. From that, I know he didn't do it on purpose, which makes it an accident. I would much rather be spiked and given the chance to tech than being bounced off of.

The few combos I DO know how to setup with footstools are very difficult because of the weird timing of footstooling. Even when I'm on top of my opponent mashing jump, it doesn't always work. For once, I just want to be able to use a footstool combo on purpose, and not by accident.

Top Bottom