• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
The super rush spirit event was disappointing to me at first, but after seeing that Waluigi is not in it it’s more suspicious than anything. It seems like they intentionally left him out of it for some reason, given that he’s one of the major characters from the game and has the most unique/detailed outfit.

edit- I just realized that the 3 that they highlighted are the ONLY ones in the event. In that case I doubt that it means they intentionally left him out, but I seriously doubt that it means ANYTHING either way anyways.

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
This spirit event doesn’t rule him out being the last fighter but this spirit event does make me think we’re not getting any content from the new golf game like I initially thought. I still think he could be the last fighter and I’m thinking he’s only coming with content from one game, that being Mario tennis aces. Every other dlc fighter came with content from one specific game like Byleth with three houses, Sephiroth with FF7 and Pyra/Mythra with Xenoblade 2. So I think it’s more realistic to expect him to just come with a stage, spirits and music all from Mario tennis aces. Tennis makes more sense than Mario golf anyway since he debuted in a Mario tennis game. And also the fact that he is depicted with a tennis racket in smash and the fact that Sakurai tweeted about Mario tennis’s anniversary. He’s heavily tied to Mario tennis.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
The super rush spirit event was disappointing to me at first, but after seeing that Waluigi is not in it it’s more suspicious than anything. It seems like they intentionally left him out of it for some reason, given that he’s one of the major characters from the game and has the most unique/detailed outfit.

edit- I just realized that the 3 that they highlighted are the ONLY ones in the event. In that case I doubt that it means they intentionally left him out, but I seriously doubt that it means ANYTHING either way anyways.
I just talked about this, but I don’t think the Mario golf event deconfirms him because I believe he’s only coming with content from one game, that being Mario tennis aces. Unless we already got a spirit event for it?

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
I just talked about this, but I don’t think the Mario golf event deconfirms him because I believe he’s only coming with content from one game, that being Mario tennis aces. Unless we already got a spirit event for it?
No,We got Spirits of Mario and Luigi from Aces in the Base Game but not of anyone else nor as one whole Spirit Event.

I feel like they could chuck those in Along with Newer Spirits maybe.

Honestly though,I feel Like a Spirit Board FILLED to the Brim with Wario and Waluigi would work well. It’d be like Waluigi to have His Spirit Board be All about Him and His Partner.

Attachments

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
No,We got Spirits of Mario and Luigi from Aces in the Base Game but not of anyone else nor as one whole Spirit Event.

I feel like they could chuck those in Along with Newer Spirits maybe.

Honestly though,I feel Like a Spirit Board FILLED to the Brim with Wario and Waluigi would work well. It’d be like Waluigi to have His Spirit Board be All about Him and His Partner.
It would be funny. But imo I think having spirits of the other characters in Mario tennis aces plus the two base game spirits would be his spirit board. But we’ll see what happens.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
What does this have to do with Waluigi?
It's more smash I'm general, but it happened alongside the smash twitter skipping posting about the Mario golf Spirit event (which was noticeably missing Waluigi) so a lot of people find it pretty suspicious

Admittedly it doesnt have much to do with Waluigi (unless you still consider the purple and yellow chairs a hint of anyone remembers that lol) but it's such a weird thing that happened and I just wanna know what people think about it

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
It's more smash I'm general, but it happened alongside the smash twitter skipping posting about the Mario golf Spirit event (which was noticeably missing Waluigi) so a lot of people find it pretty suspicious
The Golf event didn't even have Bowser. To be frank, I'm kinda sick of all the conspiracy theories on this thread - we're heading down the Geno road and I don't want to come along.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
The Golf event didn't even have Bowser. To be frank, I'm kinda sick of all the conspiracy theories on this thread - we're heading down the Geno road and I don't want to come along.
It's not really a "conspiracy theory" just to talk about it

I should have specified that I don't think it's tied to Waluigi, just what I've seen people point out too with the spirit event, but yeah,
And we can still talk about it since it's relevant smash news

Also can we knock it off with the pissing on Geno fans already it's getting old

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
The spirit event was just for the new update for Mario golf super rush, that’s all it was for. It doesn’t have anything to do with Waluigi and neither does this.

Anyway, I don’t know why this is happening. It’s Sunday and no smash direct happened so I don’t know what’s the deal with this. Maybe it’s nothing. I still think next month is possibly when we will get a direct.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
So guys I was thinking that if Waluigi was the last fighter, I think he would come with content from Mario tennis aces. Mario tennis was the game he debuted in and bringing more content from the latest Mario tennis game would suit Waluigi’s challenger pack.

Stage - Marina stadium
4367D6BF-D7E7-492F-B147-8D1206032E86.jpeg

Primary spirits
EB16DC54-D064-4583-BB05-E4C59ABA5577.png

E2949A51-9044-47D9-B578-2D351EE483F3.png

EC2560D8-61CC-474A-8DA6-42FAEC18F323.png

98005744-102E-4376-A434-E7AF1135A6F7.png

Support spirits
45E6DBFB-25CA-4073-992D-D2CC22701AD3.png

25CBEBF0-27AA-4BF7-93C4-BB0C1C2BE95C.png

E756D9A6-C79C-4534-9E37-4F10E9C22A3B.png

And he would come with more music tracks from the game. What do you think of this? I personally think it’s the most realistic expectations.

Edit:I decided to add some music tracks too.

Music tracks
——————
Bask ruins
Pirahna plant forest
Snowfall Mountain
Inferno Island
Savage Sea
Boss Battle
The Final Battle

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
It'll probably be September yeah

I want to say it's nothing but honestly the way it was handled with some versions of the direct being flat out deleted and the delay of the Japanese direct being privated it feels like this was all rushed for some reason, like something happened.
Also just weird to delete it right before the anniversary

And yeah the fact we didn't get an announcement for any kind of direct at all for the weekend or the 8th specifically makes it all really weird.

Maybe it means nothing but the circumstances definitely make it strange. Either way, here's hoping we get another direct soon (probably September) and if we're lucky possibly are smash reveal then (holding out hope it's Waluigi)

Raiden_20

Smash Rookie
So I was thinking about what game Waluigi would represent since other DLC characters like Byleth and Pythra have “Smash Ultimate X Fire Emblem: Three Houses” and “Smash Ultimate X Xenoblade Chronicles 2” and not just their origin series. But I think Waluigi could sorta pull a Terry. As in he’d represent one series (most likely Super Mario), but his music, stage, and Spirits would represent other Mario games like the Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Mario Sports games sorta like how Terry represents Fatal Fury but his stage, music, and Spirits represent other SNK series.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I know this isn’t related to Waluigi (maybe?) but Sakurai actually stated way back in 2020 that specifically the sixth fighter would take awhile. I wonder why..

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
I know this isn’t related to Waluigi (maybe?) but Sakurai actually stated way back in 2020 that specifically the sixth fighter would take awhile. I wonder why..
Could be because they may have quite the complicated Moveset potentially.

and there’s a lot of characters that can fit for that aside from Waluigi.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Could be because they may have quite the complicated Moveset potentially.

and there’s a lot of characters that can fit for that aside from Waluigi.
I know that’s why I’m a little worried it isn’t him. Unless Waluigi is difficult to come up with a moveset or something. Otherwise it’s probably just gonna be someone else.

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
Bro I’m still wondering what the heck’s up with the Privating and Take downs of the August 8th Smash Ultimate Base-Game Direct.

They wouldn’t just do something like that without a Reason..
So why are they doing that??

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Bro I’m still wondering what the heck’s up with the Privating and Take downs of the August 8th Smash Ultimate Base-Game Direct.

They wouldn’t just do something like that without a Reason..
So why are they doing that??
Yeah it’s weird. Maybe it’s possible we’re getting an August smash direct, but I’m not so sure on that. It seems too soon to announce one so I would be surprised if it happen.

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
Yeah it’s weird. Maybe it’s possible we’re getting an August smash direct, but I’m not so sure on that. It seems too soon to announce one so I would be surprised if it happen.
You think it’s possible that’s why we got that Indie Direct?

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
Decided to Make another Concept for Waluigi’s DLC Spirit Board!

This time with it Being Themed around the Latest entries in the Mario Tennis and Golf Series: Mario Tennis Aces and Mario Golf Super Rush!

I didn’t know what to make the background of it tho tbh LOL

Attachments

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Decided to Make another Concept for Waluigi’s DLC Spirit Board!

This time with it Being Themed around the Latest entries in the Mario Tennis and Golf Series: Mario Tennis Aces and Mario Golf Super Rush!

I didn’t know what to make the background of it tho tbh LOL
I honestly expect something like this. Maybe just Mario tennis aces though since it seems they only use one game for each dlc fighter.

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
I honestly expect something like this. Maybe just Mario tennis aces though since it seems they only use one game for each dlc fighter.
Then There’s just Terry who basically destroys that whole thing.

I can understand Having Other SNK Characters on KOF Stadium,But did they really have to shove em’ into His Spirit Board too?

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Then There’s just Terry who basically destroys that whole thing.

I can understand Having Other SNK Characters on KOF Stadium,But did they really have to shove em’ into His Spirit Board too?
Oh I didn’t know that. Well anythings possible, so I shouldn’t rule it out.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I've said it before but personally I would prefer if Waluigi's Spirit board is made up of both Mario characters that didn't get spirits for some reason (Foreman Spike fo example, who actually might be relevant again considering the possible hint about the Mario Bros movie that came out now long ago) and also other things associated with/ tied to Waluigi, such as the robots from Mario strikers.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
A Pokemon presents was announced today. I’m looking forward to it cause I’m a big Pokemon fan. But this also means we’re definitely getting a general direct soon. I’m excited and also nervous because we are getting close to the final reveal.

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
A Pokemon presents was announced today. I’m looking forward to it cause I’m a big Pokemon fan. But this also means we’re definitely getting a general direct soon. I’m excited and also nervous because we are getting close to the final reveal.
Yeah,It’s kinda cool knowing that we’ll probably know who the last fighter is..But also REALLY Concerning.

I just know that no matter who it may be,Smash Fans are gonna throw a Hissy Fit.

ESPECIALLY since it’s highly likely to be a 1st Party Nintendo Character.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone. I have a good feeling we’re getting closer to the final character reveal for this game and I just wanna talk about my want and desire to see Waluigi playable in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

The most simplest reason is because I want to play as my favorite video game character in smash. Waluigi is the love of my life (seriously, I have a crush on him) and to play as him in this epic crossover game would be such a joy! Another reason is I feel he got unfairly snubbed this game. We got Daisy who is an echo, so we needed a unique Mario newcomer which should have been Waluigi but was snubbed for a potted plant! Utterly humiliating and it pissed me off! So now I want justice for Waluigi for this entry before it’s over.

We’re down to the last fighter and it is TENSE! Like incredibly nerve racking because it might be him or it might not be him. Waluigi is really the only character I care about being on the roster. There’s couple of other characters that I would like (Gengar, Spyro) but I’m not clamoring for them like am for Waluigi.

These last few weeks of August are gonna be tense…

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
Hey everyone. I have a good feeling we’re getting closer to the final character reveal for this game and I just wanna talk about my want and desire to see Waluigi playable in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

The most simplest reason is because I want to play as my favorite video game character in smash. Waluigi is the love of my life (seriously, I have a crush on him) and to play as him in this epic crossover game would be such a joy! Another reason is I feel he got unfairly snubbed this game. We got Daisy who is an echo, so we needed a unique Mario newcomer which should have been Waluigi but was snubbed for a potted plant! Utterly humiliating and it pissed me off! So now I want justice for Waluigi for this entry before it’s over.

We’re down to the last fighter and it is TENSE! Like incredibly nerve racking because it might be him or it might not be him. Waluigi is really the only character I care about being on the roster. There’s couple of other characters that I would like (Gengar, Spyro) but I’m not clamoring for them like am for Waluigi.

These last few weeks of August are gonna be tense…
I more or less want Waluigi for the same kinda reason,He’s a Cool and Wacky Character and is my FAVORITE Character out of everyone in the Super Mario Series/Franchise,For Him to be In Smash not only alongside His Partner Wario and Rival Luigi,But The TONS of Gaming Mascots and Icons of Several other Game Series (1st,2nd,or 3rd Party) Would be absolutely incredible in my eyes.

Imagine Seeing Waluigi taking on Minecraft Steve or FREAKING SEPHIROTH FROM FINAL FANTASY 7. Absolutely Mind-Boggling.

For FAR too Long people have always said “He’s a Meme!!” “He’s a Spin-off Character!!” or “He’s an Assist Trophy!!”

But I’ve HAD IT UP TO HERE with Smash Fans and Their Fan Rule Shenanigans.

The Last Remaining Rule is the one that states that An Assist Trophy cannot be upgraded into a DLC Fighter or Can’t be upgraded within the Same Game..And I DEFINITELY Feel like if ANYONE can shut this rule down..It’s 100% Waluigi.

Memes don’t Matter,The Smash Team Can EASILY Disable Waluigi’s Assist Trophy if they really don’t want Two Waluigis doing different things,And Dr Mario is Completely a Spin-off Character..Soo,Yeah.

I want Waluigi and I feel like he has a good shot at being this last Fighter in Fighters Pass Volume 2.

If he ISN’T,Then I dunno maybe we could be surprised with him as a Bonus Fighter for the My Nintendo Service (Similarly to His Plant Buddy)

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
It would also be the perfect opportunity to give the Ultimate middle finger to haters who keep saying that Waluigi will never be in smash. I just want to see them getting exposed like the clowns that they are. It would be even funnier if they start making threads about "How Waluigi fans forced poor 50 years old Sakurai to add their ****ty meme character into the game" and how they will sell their copy of the game because of a character they are not forced to buy got in. I'd love to see a compilation of haters crying on twitter and mock them because that's all they deserve after ****ting on Waluigi fans for so long.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get the protagonist of SMT V as the final character tho 😆

Another reason is I feel he got unfairly snubbed this game. We got Daisy who is an echo, so we needed a unique Mario newcomer which should have been Waluigi but was snubbed for a potted plant! Utterly humiliating and it pissed me off! So now I want justice for Waluigi for this entry before it’s over.
Quick reminder that Piranha Plant is the worst addition in Ultimate and Super Smash Bros in general. The worst decision of the game easily (alongside changing Zelda's design imo). I mean, there was literally no reason to add a potted plant other than "haha le plant wtf funni (even tho it's not actually)" . Nothing good came out of that, only ****ty memes by one of the most toxic group of people in the cancerous community of SSB. Cpt Toad would have been way better than the plant, King Boo and Pauline as well. Hell, even Geno would have been infinitely better and if Waluigi was never intended to be in the game, I would have take Geno as the Mario character over anyone else ! For God's sake, at least he would have been cool and would have fit perfectly in the game and it would have brought so much hope to see OG characters coming back in Mario games and make Mario RPGs great again !

Say anything you want about Byleth, at least there was a purpose in adding this character. Explain the purpose in adding PP. You can't. It's not even a joke character, it's just a waste of slot and it made me question their business decisions and even their mental health at this point. And those Waluigi fans who keep saying that "it's cool that Waluigi's PET (wtf ?) is joining the battle ! He's fighting for his dad (WTF ??)" are probably the dumbest group of people in the fanbase alongside the lunatics who worship him and **** on everyone else like Daisy and even Wario and the 14 years old fanboys who think that "he's just a poor guy who needs some love, that's why I can relate to him so much... I have an idea, I'm gonna write a fanfic about Waluigi & Rosalina falling in love with each other and then I'll go cry on my bed at 3 in the morning because no one loves me"

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
PP was added because they weren't a major player in a game or a hero. I'm not going to argue whether to like the character or not, of course.

The whole "lol funny" thing never made sense to think on. No, it wasn't added for that. Every character was added for an actual reason, even if it was just for a token option. Zero Suit Samus was actually added to include more women and to be a Metroid newcomer, after all.

Waluigi could've easily been the bonus character, being he's neither a hero nor a major player(though given how iconic he is, and actually does start off the story in at least one game, he's technically major at one point. I think he also is one of the bigger characters in some story roles among the sports games, so he probably wasn't an option. That, and PP was a DLC specific character, which was likely well after Waluigi was chosen as an AT, so it's not like they were even in competition with each other).

I very much want Waluigi in, bonus or otherwise, but in most cases, he wasn't really going to be an option at some points. A later on DLC character, sure. But it would've been Pass 2 or nothing. So he's very possible to end the Pass on. Pass 1 as well as the Bonus Character were pretty much taking base game into account, and Waluigi was an AT at that point. So this means either PP was an actual base game character(not likely mind you, but not entirely impossible. A lot of the so-called evidence either doesn't actually support it thoroughly or pretty much says "DLC" at best. Even the amiibo goes the other way, with the actual data specifying PP was always after all the base game characters. If it was base game when it came to any amiibo data as planned, it would've been before all the third parties, probably right before Daisy. The amiibo was quite clearly planned for it to be DLC).

Mind you, I find PP really fun and neat. I don't consider Mooks or Species to be remotely bad. Shy Guy was my personal preference for a Mook, to be under the Yoshi franchise moniker, too. I like the idea of having very unique newcomers along with more major/notable characters. Being iconic is great too(which PP does fall under, and something Sakurai notes when explaining why he chose it to be in), but not the entire thing. A lot of FE characters were added while not being iconic(really, Marth is like... it. Roy kind of is when he returned, due to the Smash Bros. Melee fans. But only to Smash itself). Even ignoring that Pokemon are all species anyway(with some not even being clearly anime/movie versions, like Ivysaur, Squirtle, Greninja(till Ultimate changes its animations), and Incineroar), there's tons of fun characters who don't need to have a particular name to be interesting. It's not that much different from having a Class character in either(Pokemon Trainer, Villager, Hero. Did I miss anyone else? I think that's all the Class characters). Sometimes being generic is fine, since they can still have a fun personality and unique gameplay. And so can Waluigi regardless. We won't know for a long time why Waluigi hasn't been playable yet(even if he's the final DLC character, waiting for the information I would still call being a "long time" in this context). I doubt it has anything to do with being popular with memes, and Sakurai clearly does like his memes, despite what that latest interview suggests. It's gotta be a mistranslation, since he's intentionally had memes with Smash Bros. as is, in-game and even on Miiverse. It's probably just a case of not being sure how to make a flowing moveset. In the case of the Pass, Nintendo would have to suggest Waluigi first. If they never did, which is possible, then of course he couldn't have been chosen. That'd be on Nintendo instead.

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
PP was added because they weren't a major player in a game or a hero. I'm not going to argue whether to like the character or not, of course.

The whole "lol funny" thing never made sense to think on. No, it wasn't added for that. Every character was added for an actual reason, even if it was just for a token option. Zero Suit Samus was actually added to include more women and to be a Metroid newcomer, after all.

Waluigi could've easily been the bonus character, being he's neither a hero nor a major player(though given how iconic he is, and actually does start off the story in at least one game, he's technically major at one point. I think he also is one of the bigger characters in some story roles among the sports games, so he probably wasn't an option. That, and PP was a DLC specific character, which was likely well after Waluigi was chosen as an AT, so it's not like they were even in competition with each other).

I very much want Waluigi in, bonus or otherwise, but in most cases, he wasn't really going to be an option at some points. A later on DLC character, sure. But it would've been Pass 2 or nothing. So he's very possible to end the Pass on. Pass 1 as well as the Bonus Character were pretty much taking base game into account, and Waluigi was an AT at that point. So this means either PP was an actual base game character(not likely mind you, but not entirely impossible. A lot of the so-called evidence either doesn't actually support it thoroughly or pretty much says "DLC" at best. Even the amiibo goes the other way, with the actual data specifying PP was always after all the base game characters. If it was base game when it came to any amiibo data as planned, it would've been before all the third parties, probably right before Daisy. The amiibo was quite clearly planned for it to be DLC).

Mind you, I find PP really fun and neat. I don't consider Mooks or Species to be remotely bad. Shy Guy was my personal preference for a Mook, to be under the Yoshi franchise moniker, too. I like the idea of having very unique newcomers along with more major/notable characters. Being iconic is great too(which PP does fall under, and something Sakurai notes when explaining why he chose it to be in), but not the entire thing. A lot of FE characters were added while not being iconic(really, Marth is like... it. Roy kind of is when he returned, due to the Smash Bros. Melee fans. But only to Smash itself). Even ignoring that Pokemon are all species anyway(with some not even being clearly anime/movie versions, like Ivysaur, Squirtle, Greninja(till Ultimate changes its animations), and Incineroar), there's tons of fun characters who don't need to have a particular name to be interesting. It's not that much different from having a Class character in either(Pokemon Trainer, Villager, Hero. Did I miss anyone else? I think that's all the Class characters). Sometimes being generic is fine, since they can still have a fun personality and unique gameplay. And so can Waluigi regardless. We won't know for a long time why Waluigi hasn't been playable yet(even if he's the final DLC character, waiting for the information I would still call being a "long time" in this context). I doubt it has anything to do with being popular with memes, and Sakurai clearly does like his memes, despite what that latest interview suggests. It's gotta be a mistranslation, since he's intentionally had memes with Smash Bros. as is, in-game and even on Miiverse. It's probably just a case of not being sure how to make a flowing moveset. In the case of the Pass, Nintendo would have to suggest Waluigi first. If they never did, which is possible, then of course he couldn't have been chosen. That'd be on Nintendo instead.
Look it doesn’t matter to me what the reason for Piranha plant’s inclusion was. You can defend it all you want but I’m always going to hate it with a passion for simply being chosen over Waluigi. That’s just how I feel about it. If Waluigi is the last dlc character, I’ll buy all the dlc characters, except Piranha plant because I don’t want it in my game.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
People look way too hard into Piranha Plant. He wasn't chosen over Waluigi, he already began development when Waluigi's assist trophy was added to the game and before the Waluigi outcry began. Sakurai simply just wanted a wacky character that's not a protagonist and nobody would expect to be in the game, I'm pretty sure he already said this before. So the notion that Piranha Plant was chosen out of "spite for Waluigi" when Sakurai clearly doesn't choose characters for that reason is just getting annoying at this point.

He's literally just a bonus character, I don't know what there is to be mad about.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Look it doesn’t matter to me what the reason for Piranha plant’s inclusion was. You can defend it all you want but I’m always going to hate it with a passion for simply being chosen over Waluigi. That’s just how I feel about it. If Waluigi is the last dlc character, I’ll buy all the dlc characters, except Piranha plant because I don’t want it in my game.
That doesn't compute.

Waluigi was an AT early on.

PP was chosen as soon as 2017, being the first DLC character.

They are 100% unrelated in every way.

PP isn't going to be liked by all, but they didn't steal a slot from anyone but another non-Hero/non-major player in a game(which Waluigi actually does have major roles among various spin-off games, so he couldn't even be possibly someone in that particular spot). So, again... a Mook. Or just a random NPC who just exists(I.E. an unimportant shopkeep). It's unfortunate Waluigi didn't come in, but there's no way PP was related to why.

But yeah, nobody's asking you to like the character. Not a big deal. But people will tell you the whole "slot" stuff is a load of crap because things don't work that way. There's a huge difference between "I wish I got this awesome character instead of one I hate" and trying to pretend a slot was stolen. Entirely different points. I would've absolutely rather had Waluigi than PP too. Hell, same with Toad. I'd also rather have Mr. Resetti over Isabelle(not that I dislike her inclusion either, at least not anymore), but that's beside the point. Isaac over Shulk too. I could go on. But since slots are far more specific with rarely anyone else being a possible choice instead, the whole "steals slots" thing is a very poor argument in itself.

People look way too hard into Piranha Plant. He wasn't chosen over Waluigi, he already began development when Waluigi's assist trophy was added to the game and before the Waluigi outcry began. Sakurai simply just wanted a wacky character that's not an enemy and nobody would expect to be in the game, I'm pretty sure he already said this before. So the notion that Piranha Plant was chosen out of "spite for Waluigi" when Sakurai clearly doesn't choose characters for that reason is just getting annoying at this point.

He's literally just a bonus character, I don't know what there is to be mad about.
Pretty much this. Also, to be clear, Sakurai wasn't even looking for a wacky character so much as someone who wasn't a major player in a story(Waluigi somehow still fits this, even if it's just for a few games. He's very important to DDR - Mario Mix, as he starts the entire plot off. He wanes to the side for the bigger bad guys of it, mind you, but he's major in terms of its story. And some of the sports games have stories where Wario and Waluigi have actual roles. Those are arguably not major, but DDR definitely is), but also wasn't a hero. Waluigi isn't a hero either, of course(he's technically been a villain or neutral).

I hope he gets in, and it sucks he didn't thusfar. It's even worse that his role as an AT was treated as something to show off for "AT's can be hurt" as well. It stings a lot. I'm a huge Waluigi fan. I'm also a game developer and understand that "steals a slot" is almost never a thing. Unless they would be in for the same reason? They can't steal a slot. Waluigi could've never been in instead of Daisy or PP, as they both are beyond different situations. If Waluigi didn't have a crazy bodyshape, maybe he could've been an Echo of Luigi. But, well, the only character with a slightly similar bodyshape is, despite the joke, actually Bayonetta. And that was obviously not a feasible thing(especially since Nintendo doesn't own Bayonetta so couldn't just easily make an Echo of her without permission. And even with that in mind, he would've obviously been a clone using her as a base, no different from how Ike was used to create Corrin and Cloud, and some of his moves were transported unto Ultimate!Ganondorf).

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
It ‘s just the fact that it was considered while they decided to keep Waluigi an assist trophy that irks me. They were looking for a Mario newcomer and thought a potted plant would be better than an actual character.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think Piranha Plant was a funny inclusion. I have no reason to associate it with some kind of disrespect towards Waluigi as a character, just as I had none when Daisy got in prior to him.

It ‘s just the fact that it was considered while they decided to keep Waluigi an assist trophy that irks me. They were looking for a Mario newcomer and thought a potted plant would be better than an actual character.
"They" is just Sakurai wanting to put whoever he wants into his game. I like characters that Sakurai engineers himself out of inspiration, it's evident he poured a lot of love into the Piranha Plant character.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
Technically, Nintendo (or Sakurai) still chose to prioritize a potted plant over every other Mario characters when they were making the game. The development of the game was probably around 2015-2018 and at that time, they seriously thought that for the next game, it would be a better idea for the Mario newcomer to include a potted plant in the roster rather than characters like Waluigi and Geno (Daisy is an echo so I don't think she really count as a newcomer). So yes, we can say in some way that a plant was chosen over Waluigi and basically stole the slot of the bonus character of the game.

You should have get the plant when it was free so you could have used it as a punching bag lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom