• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi was on TV twice this year.

He was on SNL also.

This is Waluigi's year. Hopefully he gets in Smash.
They’ve been pushing this game and Waluigi so much lately, right before E3. I really want to be hyped but I’m not going to set myself up for massive disappointment. It definitely feels like it’s beyond the degree of just being a coincidence though...

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
The guy who leaked Steve and Byleth with accurate details is working on the Nintendo direct right now.

*E3 SPOILERS if you don't want to see them don't click it.

We could find out if Waluigi's in the game very soon.
Sadly he said in the replies that he doesn’t know the smash character(s) and likely won’t before the presentation. Looks like we are going to have to keep anxiously waiting!

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Another Nintendo minute on their youtube channel. And of course Waluigi is mentioned in it yet again.
View attachment 318695
Yeah this is getting really suspicious. I know you could say "well he's just one of the characters in Mario Golf" but he's getting mentioned in literally every video and every promotion for the game. It's hard for me to imagine that nothing is gonna happen with all this attention but we'll find out soon.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Yeah this is getting really suspicious. I know you could say "well he's just one of the characters in Mario Golf" but he's getting mentioned in literally every video and every promotion for the game. It's hard for me to imagine that nothing is gonna happen with all this attention but we'll find out soon.
I personally think it's just advertisement for Mario golf. They uploaded a tweet about Bowser in Mario golf, so...

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I personally think it's just advertisement for Mario golf. They uploaded a tweet about Bowser in Mario golf, so...
Yeah but Waluigi is the only one that they've used for advertisment twice I think and they just keep mentioning him in videos and promotions. It's really kind of weird because Waluigi was not used nearly this much in Mario Tennis Aces. Maybe they're trying harder to promote Mario Golf Super Rush though.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Yeah but Waluigi is the only one that they've used for advertisment twice I think and they just keep mentioning him in videos and promotions. It's really kind of weird because Waluigi was not used nearly this much in Mario Tennis Aces. Maybe they're trying harder to promote Mario Golf Super Rush though.
They know people like him, they know he's good marketing material.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
They know people like him, they know he's good marketing material.
Which would make it even more baffling if he didn't make it in. Nintendo knows people like him and want him in the game, he gained a ton of internet popularity that is rivaled by basically no other character. They know that when Waluigi is mentioned these people are gonna go wild. So it really makes me wonder, if Waluigi wasn't gonna star in anything at all, why would there be so much teasing? Why would they give him a controller and mention him over and over again? They know that they are teasing people with the controller too.

It would just seem weird for Nintendo to lead on the Waluigi fandom like this when he's such a popular request for Smash if he isn't coming to Smash. I really don't want to get my hopes up too high, but I think it's very likely that he'll be added at this point. Nothing stands in his way besides fan rules which Sakurai breaks all the time. They know he's popular and he's so easy to add to the game since he's a first party.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Which would make it even more baffling if he didn't make it in. Nintendo knows people like him and want him in the game, he gained a ton of internet popularity that is rivaled by basically no other character. They know that when Waluigi is mentioned these people are gonna go wild. So it really makes me wonder, if Waluigi wasn't gonna star in anything at all, why would there be so much teasing? Why would they give him a controller and mention him over and over again? They know that they are teasing people with the controller too.

It would just seem weird for Nintendo to lead on the Waluigi fandom like this when he's such a popular request for Smash if he isn't coming to Smash. I really don't want to get my hopes up too high, but I think it's very likely that he'll be added at this point. Nothing stands in his way besides fan rules which Sakurai breaks all the time. They know he's popular and he's so easy to add to the game since he's a first party.
Because the inner machinations of Nintendo's minds are an enigma. Waluigi is a very, very marketable character, even if they never give him anything substantial. I wouldn't go the point of assuming everything leads up to him in Smash Pepe Silvia style, but it is nice to see Nintendo is giving him more appreciation and more notice.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Because the inner machinations of Nintendo's minds are an enigma. Waluigi is a very, very marketable character, even if they never give him anything substantial. I wouldn't go the point of assuming everything leads up to him in Smash Pepe Silvia style, but it is nice to see Nintendo is giving him more appreciation and more notice.
Companies don't do things for no reason though. Especially when it comes to marketing.

I don't think they would give Waluigi a controller if they didn't think he was a marketable character.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Companies don't do things for no reason though. Especially when it comes to marketing.

I don't think they would give Waluigi a controller if they didn't think he was a marketable character.
Then we agree completely, just not on the grounds that it means he's in Smash. Definitely next installment, I feel, but I don't think an Assist is getting a sudden upgrade near the end. If I'm wrong though, I'll have my cake and eat it too.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Then we agree completely, just not on the grounds that it means he's in Smash. Definitely next installment, I feel, but I don't think an Assist is getting a sudden upgrade near the end. If I'm wrong though, I'll have my cake and eat it too.
I just don't think there's enough basis to prove that an assist trophy can't be playable. The only time where we didn't get one when we could have is Smash 4, so it's only really held up for one game.

Not to mention, Sakurai has broken these supposed "fan rules" multiple times and if you really think about it Waluigi's trophy was developed in 2008 and is hardly a new addition at this point. Nintendo likely doesn't care very much about him being a trophy either.

I don't feel like he's an 100% guarantee, but I feel like he's pretty likely because it would be highly beneficial for Nintendo to add him.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just don't think there's enough basis to prove that an assist trophy can't be playable. The only time where we didn't get one when we could have is Smash 4, so it's only really held up for one game.

Not to mention, Sakurai has broken these supposed "fan rules" multiple times and if you really think about it Waluigi's trophy was developed in 2008 and is hardly a new addition at this point.

I don't feel like he's an 100% guarantee, but I feel like he's pretty likely because it would be highly beneficial for Nintendo to add him.
I totally understand and I do agree with the mentality, it's just the question if Nintendo is going all in for the veto, or if Sakurai refuses to do it, which he can and has told us that he can do. I personally chose that they didn't choose Waluigi out of other character interests. Like the one exec who's Sephiroth's #1 fangirl.

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Is Waluigi the only first party to have Nintendo tweet about him and merchandise before a reveal? I don’t remember if Min min, Byleth and Pyra/Mythra did.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think they did start promoting ARMS a little more before the general ARMS reveal.
That and ARMS got an entire set of months dedicated to getting people to talk about the game. "Guess that character" is a pretty big way to promote it, with a demo at the end.

They don't do that much at all otherwise for Smash. There's of course a few promotional characters(as in to directly advertise the latest game, though not the sole reason they're in), but nobody was handled the way ARMS was. Hell, I'd say ARMS was the biggest way of advertising a game. In an ironic twist, Min MIn wasn't used to advertise it so much as the game was used to advertise an option for Smash.

There's also a timing thing that makes it different from other advertisement options. From what we have data on, it's likely Min Min was determined almost a year before her original release. That means that they'd have to have thought of this guessing game and implement it in January, knowing she would take a massively long time enough to justify it. I'd say that hardly adds up. To me, she wasn't there for advertising anything but they had to have an excuse to throw in some Smash news to keep the ball rolling. The gameplay delays suggest she was just a month later than normal, I doubt she would've been ready by March. May, sure, if the delay didn't happen.

...I'm a bit tired, so I may have worded that oddly.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
That and ARMS got an entire set of months dedicated to getting people to talk about the game. "Guess that character" is a pretty big way to promote it, with a demo at the end.

They don't do that much at all otherwise for Smash. There's of course a few promotional characters(as in to directly advertise the latest game, though not the sole reason they're in), but nobody was handled the way ARMS was. Hell, I'd say ARMS was the biggest way of advertising a game. In an ironic twist, Min MIn wasn't used to advertise it so much as the game was used to advertise an option for Smash.

There's also a timing thing that makes it different from other advertisement options. From what we have data on, it's likely Min Min was determined almost a year before her original release. That means that they'd have to have thought of this guessing game and implement it in January, knowing she would take a massively long time enough to justify it. I'd say that hardly adds up. To me, she wasn't there for advertising anything but they had to have an excuse to throw in some Smash news to keep the ball rolling. The gameplay delays suggest she was just a month later than normal, I doubt she would've been ready by March. May, sure, if the delay didn't happen.

...I'm a bit tired, so I may have worded that oddly.
I do remember when they had a Arms demo for a limited time. I think it happen after they revealed that an Arms character is coming to smash. Correct me if I’m wrong though.

Edit: I just remembered something else about Min min, didn’t she win a tournament or something and it hinted to smash?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I do remember when they had a Arms demo for a limited time. I think it happen after they revealed that an Arms character is coming to smash. Correct me if I’m wrong though.
To be clear, Min Min herself wasn't used as an advertisement for the demo. They already advertised ARMS via the guessing game.

Min Min herself was chosen due to a request from the director and that was all there was to it.

I explained the timeline above, but basically they would have to outright know that Min Min would have a lot of delays and take a very long time to release, in order to make the guessing game. Sakurai hadn't started her for quite a while, as he would've had Byleth finished first. That means, that, if June 2019 was when she was chosen, they would have to know she'd release a full year later, and plan according to that. Before she even was developed.

...That doesn't sound realistic. The guessing game was made most realistically a long time after. Do note that they advertised ARMS via the guessing game, and the demo was put out after the trailer, but it wasn't tied directly to Min Min in general. Another example is Isabelle. She wasn't added to advertise New Horizons(she's an aftergame character and much more minor than Tom Nook is in comparison). But they did time her to release based upon the trailer, something of a game they were already working on. In comparison, this was done to connect them all together for promotional reasons. ARMS on the other hand was just a good idea they had in order to keep the train rolling. Basically, characters have a promotional effect, but it's not always the reason they're in. Min Min wasn't added to promote ARMS at all(but they did use the giant gap of time to give a similar effect, even if she was less involved than a typical character being related to promotion).

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Maybe the timing of Mario golf super rush was used for Waluigi in this case? I’m sure Camelot was working on the game for awhile now and provided a perfect time to advertise the game with a character in smash.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Another thing I thought about was when Mario golf super rush was revealed. Golden sun fans thought it was odd that it would take Camelot this long to develope a Mario sport game.

I wonder if Nintendo purposefully held it back for the right time to reveal Waluigi for smash.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Right now I'm probably gonna calm down a little bit on the Waluigi speculation and just wait until the direct since it's only 3 days away. I don't think anything major will happen before E3.

I'm pretty sure, (and also hoping) that he'll be revealed for Smash on that day.

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
I personally think waluigi should be put in smash. My dream character is shadow… so I’d love if they finished fighter pack 2, reveal waluigi as a bonus, then Segway into an additional upgrade pack for assist chars. But from the sounds of it, it sounds like dlc pack 2 is it. I get Sakurai and the devs want to break from smash, but with the switch still being relevant, and smash popular, you’d think they’d want to keep making dlc…

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Edit: I just remembered something else about Min min, didn’t she win a tournament or something and it hinted to smash?
Yep, the Party Crash Bash.

It was an 8 month long tournament announced right after Smash was announced to be getting DLC (fighter pass 1) and ran until just before Fighters Pass 2 was announced. Every ARMS character facing off against eachother to determine who the most popular character was. Min Min won and Ninjara was the runner up. And then Min Min became the DLC fighter and Ninjara was made a Mii costume.

And yet people still claim the only reason Min Min was chosen was “because the creator wanted her in”. If you ask me, that was an excuse given at her presentation just to avoid people spamming any Nintendo run tournament or poll assuming it would be Smash related. Yes, it’s entirely just coincidence that the winner of the 8 month long popularity tournament that ran right between the two announced waves of Smash DLC became a playable fighter and the runner up got a Mii costume.

Also it was funny to hear all the ‘speculation’ channels calling Spring Man and Twintelle the ‘most popular’ ARMS characters when Twintelle lost to Min Min in the semi-finals and Spring Man didn’t even clear round 1 against his clone.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Yep, the Party Crash Bash.

It was an 8 month long tournament announced right after Smash was announced to be getting DLC (fighter pass 1) and ran until just before Fighters Pass 2 was announced. Every ARMS character facing off against eachother to determine who the most popular character was. Min Min won and Ninjara was the runner up. And then Min Min became the DLC fighter and Ninjara was made a Mii costume.

And yet people still claim the only reason Min Min was chosen was “because the creator wanted her in”. If you ask me, that was an excuse given at her presentation just to avoid people spamming any Nintendo run tournament or poll assuming it would be Smash related. Yes, it’s entirely just coincidence that the winner of the 8 month long popularity tournament that ran right between the two announced waves of Smash DLC became a playable fighter and the runner up got a Mii costume.

Also it was funny to hear all the ‘speculation’ channels calling Spring Man and Twintelle the ‘most popular’ ARMS characters when Twintelle lost to Min Min in the semi-finals and Spring Man didn’t even clear round 1 against his clone.
Yeah that’s probably the real reason she was chosen. I have a feeling they didn’t know who was gonna be the fighter when they announced that guessing game. Probably so they would have time to decide who the fighter was gonna be.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Supposedly practicalbrush plans on making a “predictions” list tomorrow for Tuesday’s Nintendo Direct. If you don’t want to get spoiled then be extra careful on the internet tomorrow! It’s still unclear whether they will know smash or not but my guess is they will- I think they work on the presentations or know someone who does and that’s how they get their info (and why they usually only know info shortly before the corresponding presentations).

Honestly I’m in a tough spot- if Waluigi isn’t in I’d rather be spoiled and take the disappointment head on.. however if he is in I’d rather enjoy the surprise...

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 319039
We'll have to wait and see. I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. 50/50 is always the healthy approach.
Yeah I saw that, it’s just that later they go on to say that they’ll do a similar thing to their other predictions but for Nintendo specifically. If my theory as to how they get their info is somewhat accurate, then you’d think that they would end up knowing the smash characters as well.

I like your idea, 50/50 is much easier and more comforting 😅

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
I’m so nervous...😥
Me too. I think this is the most confident I’ve ever felt about Waluigi’s inclusion, except maybe pre-base game... I still wouldn’t necessarily say he’s super likely but he does have a lot going for him right now right before E3, too much to just be a coincidence it seems

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Me too. I think this is the most confident I’ve ever felt about Waluigi’s inclusion, except maybe pre-base game... I still wouldn’t necessarily say he’s super likely but he does have a lot going for him right now right before E3, too much to just be a coincidence it seems
Honestly I've thought he was likely for the past year. Ever since FP2 was revealed and we saw that it had 6 characters I always thought "the sixth one has to be Waluigi"

I can't really explain this feeling, I guess it's just because he makes sense as an "extra" character. I also feel like he makes a lot of sense as a fighter because his reaction would be larger than possibly any other character since he's viewed as unlikely for being an AT and he already got millions of views for being excluded.

Top Bottom