• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
However I can hardly find a regular fighter that is inserted purely because of popularity but not their significance from respective series.
:ultkrool:

He wasn't added solely for being a villain like he hasn't gone extinct since 2008.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi is very significant to his series though. He's an incredibly iconic character who's Wario's partner and is a mainstay in spinoffs. Just because he isn't in many main series games doesn't mean he isn't significant..
The problem is that Wario is representing his own games in Smash bros. The second Wario rep, or Wario's potential partners can only be KatAna, Ashley or JimmyT. As Waluigi can only be nominated as a new Mario fighter at this point, he won't be paired with Wario like other Wario fighers do.
I mean, it's actually sad cause we cannot see games focus on Wario and Waluigi's partnership outside Mario spinoffs.

Waluigi is of course a main character of Mario series. Just his role is not in the same level with Mario, Bowser or Peach, and his inclusion would be optional when Mario series has done enough presentation.

:ultkrool:
He wasn't added solely for being a villain like he hasn't gone extinct since 2008.
As long as he is the most representing villain from DK franchise and officially is still a main character, that wouldn't be a problem. Of course if we are arguing characters that still appear in recent games, like Dixie, Cranky or Pauline should be the third DK rep over KRool, that can be a fair debate.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Waluigi is of course a main character of Mario series. Just his role is not in the same level with Mario, Bowser or Peach, and his inclusion would be optional when Mario series has done enough presentation.
It's had enough presentation ever since the day they gave us Dr. Mario, let's be real. :drmario:

Except maybe Toad. I'd say Captain Toad, but he can't jump. That's his gimmick.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There's already like 5 Mario characters that aren't on the level of Mario, Peach or Bowser. I'm sure another one wouldn't hurt.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I don't care what anyone says, this is one of my favorite characters of all time and I'm gonna support him till the very end.

Put me on that support list.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
There's already like 5 Mario characters that aren't on the level of Mario, Peach or Bowser. I'm sure another one wouldn't hurt.
Well possibly hurt fans who want fourth character from Kirby, Zelda or StarFox.

I don't care what anyone says, this is one of my favorite characters of all time and I'm gonna support him till the very end.
Also, Waluigi was leaked as a future doctor to be added into Dr. Mario World... doesn't mean much honestly but it's nice to know.
Fair enough. It's actually interesting to see Dr Mario go such far this time.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Are you saying when Hero and Banjo were revealed they were fine but Waluigi is where they're deeply hurt? Someone is always disappointed out there with a new character reveal when they wanted something else. That's life man, you can't change that and argue against it because it happens every time.

Don't say that if a fourth Kirby/Zelda (there's six by the way)/StarFox character gets revealed, it's suddenly wrong to want someone else instead? :drflip:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Are you saying when Hero and Banjo were revealed they were fine but Waluigi is where they're deeply hurt? Someone is always disappointed out there with a new character reveal when they wanted something else. That's life man, you can't change that and argue against it because it happens every time.
I see your point. I understand fans who really like Waluigi would feel dissapointed and I know how that feel back when I supported other characters.

I only mean I'm not supportive of the thought that Mario fanchise has the right to infinitely expand its presentation in Smash bros but other franchises cannot. It's a rational logic more than emotional one.

I couldn't say I was supportive of Rosalina and plant piranha in earlier times, but what is done is done, and I'm happy for myself and for their fans. If Waluigi is chosen in the future I would feel the same.

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I would say that waluigi (or any other character to be honest) doesn't necesearly mean that other fan cannot have their character it's nintendo's choice after all but it's true that i don't see why it would be fair that waluigi fan get ignored again but not for bandana dee fan (because i assume it's him the 4th character you were talking about right?)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
TBH as a member of all those fandoms, I don't think anyone would feel cheated or hurt just like we wouldn't feel that way if Bandana Dee, Skull Kid or Krystal were to get in. People understand why other characters get in, it's not really a rivalry or competition.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Yeah the only character i felt this way was piranha plant because i don't find the appeal except for "haha that's funny" except it isn't. But i overcome my anger for the plant so everything is fine

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
TBH as a member of all those fandoms, I don't think anyone would feel cheated or hurt just like we wouldn't feel that way if Bandana Dee, Skull Kid or Krystal were to get in. People understand why other characters get in, it's not really a rivalry or competition.
I would like to say same but... we all know there's someone out there that would be that way.

But either way, I know I wouldn't get pissed if any of those characters got in (even if personally, I'd prefer Slippy and Peppy to get into a playable position before Krystal, just kinda wished though, regardless of who it is, people remember Assault exists and that not /every/ character has to play similarity to Fox due to all those weapons and what not).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I would like to say same but... we all know there's someone out there that would be that way.
There's always someone, but I don't think there's enough someones to affect the devs' decisions.

Also I agree that Assault doesn't get the recognition it deserves, that was a really solid foundation to continue the series if they weren't so fixated on remaking 64.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I don't play any remake of lylat wars but i agree that's frustrating to see that the "new" starfox games are only remakes of the same game over and over but at least it's not like f-zero who got no games at all

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
A new supporter!Welcome as you can see we're kinda off topic now but you can talk about waluigi to make the topic going back on track.

D

Deleted member

Well, Waluigi is my second favourite Mario character behind Pauline.

In some regard because I relate with him at times.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I can relate too especially with the "everybody's cheating but me" yeah i'm that kind of person when i lose

D

Deleted member

there are possibly more better choices of potential fighters who own the status as a protagonist of unused franchises or a new major villain.
Neither is Jigglypuff nor Pichu, there are more memorable Pokémon then them. Neither is Isabelle, shes a side chatacter from a life simulator. And neither is Daisy, shes more remembered for her spin off appearances then she ever was in her "important" main game debut.

My concern about suggesting Waluigi using sport moves is that, it sounds like we eagerly want Waluigi to be a fighter despite what he can do is not as much as other companions for now. Not that Waluigi learned some significant moves in big games so that we want him to bring those moves to Smash bros to make this game more interesting.
He got plenty of moveset material, definitely alot more than Daisy. Waluigi can swim in the air, create tornados, has amazing leg strenght, create purple thorns, use machinery and can teleport. His design alone is material enough for different his own tilts, smash attacks, aerials etc.

And I hate to say it, but if popularity works out well for characters to earn promotions, then Nintendo would had put Waluigi in some other big games.
Buddy, i already explained to you why he doesnt appear outside of spin offs, the devs doesnt like working on characters they didnt create. Characters like K Rool and Captain Syrup dont make that many appearences in Mario games as they should.

I would say, Waluigi is the last missing character in Super Mario games, which is an even more serious issue than him not as fighter in Smash bros.
A Mario character's importance isnt tied to whether they appear in a main game or not, its about the roles they have. Story wise the main games and spin offs are one and the same. The main games are called that because theyre platformers.

Daisy isnt equal to Wario or Rosalina because she also debut in a main game. Wario's role as a boss got him his own line of games and he was immediately part of the Mario cast, Daisy only ripped off Peach's role one time and she rotted in irrelevancy until she was used as a doubles partner for Peach, the same role you give Waluigi flak for. Rosalina's role in Galaxy got her in 3d world and smash with her own trailer, moveset and stage, Daisy's inclusion in smash is as a carbon copy of Peach and her trailer was used as the prime example that echo fighters dont take any time or effort.

Point is that she got her popularity and relevancy from the spin offs. 90% of Daisy fans werent born when her game came around and the 10% definitely werent her fans because of Super Mario Land.

The spin off games sell well enough especially Mario Kart, there was an outcry over his exclusion in mk7, and like i said he got plenty of moveset material to work with. So him being a recurring character in the spin off titles has its merits.

He is basically the spinoff character. That's what he does best.
Look, you can like Waluigi for whatever reason you want but to say thats his only appeal is false. He was created to be Luigi's rival since the sport games revolve around competition and a doubles partner for Wario, thats it. That doesnt mean his only appeal comes from that. Thats like saying Peach's only appeal is being a damsel in distress. He has all the qualities of a main Mario character. A simple design, a fun personality, many playable roles and abilities of his own. These reasons arent any different for liking Daisy besides preferences.

The problem is that Wario is representing his own games in Smash bros. The second Wario rep, or Wario's potential partners can only be KatAna, Ashley or JimmyT. As Waluigi can only be nominated as a new Mario fighter at this point, he won't be paired with Wario like other Wario fighers do.
Warioware is an app tier series of quicktime minigames involving random ****posts and toilet humor. Wario was shoehorned in because the devs want to use a popular character to promote their new franchise.

Wario Land is a series thats made with love for the character, Warioware used Wario as a cheap marketing ploy series to promote their new series. The barely use the character the shoehorned in.

The Wario Land games have sold more than the Warioware games.
https://warioforums.com/threads/new-wario-series-sales-thread.2511/

A mediocre spin off like that has no business overshadowing 8 main games, and 14 Mario games.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Warioware is an app tier series of quicktime minigames involving random ****posts and toilet humor. Wario was shoehorned in because the devs want to use a popular character to promote their new franchise.

Wario Land is a series thats made with love for the character, Warioware used Wario as a cheap marketing ploy series to promote their new series. The barely use the character the shoehorned in.

All the Wario Land games and World to this day has sold a total of 12,72. Warioware with all of its shoehorning and commercials hasnt even made it to 10,00 mil with its 8,99 total. The last Wario Land sold 1,15 million, it takes the last 3 Wariowares combined (Diy's 0,59 mil, Game and Wario's 0,25 mil, and Gold's 0,28) to barely come close to Shake it's sales with its pitiful 1,12 mil.

A mediocre spin off like that has no business overshadowing 8 main games, and 14 Mario games.
Disregarding your irrational hate for WarioWare, do you have a source for those sales numbers?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
So there was a datamine for Dr. Mario World and Dr. Waluigi was found.
I remember a joke during Mario Kart 8's original roster reveal saying that we'll eventually get Baby Metal Dr. Mario as a racer.
We are almost there now.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
You guys know that Raf Grassetti is doing the Smash cast in a more realistic tone. He actually did one for Waluigi!! He is a big supporter of him too!
Look at him! Doesn't he look amazing as hell! He really did great with this. One day, one day...

D

Deleted member

Disregarding your irrational hate for WarioWare, do you have a source for those sales numbers?
Edit: D isregarding your lack of reading comprehension i unfortunately made one slip up by trusting vgchartz. One google search and i learned that this site was complete garbage. You learn something new everday.

Be that as it may diy and games and wario still sold poorly. Here are some actual sources lmao.

https://warioforums.com/threads/new-wario-series-sales-thread.2511/

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
anyone can have their opinion on why they want or dont want a character, no matter how ludicrous it may seem to someone else.

though i honestly dont want to read an essay either so :secretkpop:

D

Deleted member

anyone can have their opinion on why they want or dont want a character, no matter how ludicrous it may seem to someone else.

though i honestly dont want to read an essay either so :secretkpop:
Well with alot of explaining comes a long post lmao. But fwiw heres the only thing i addressed to you.

Look, you can like Waluigi for whatever reason you want but to say thats his only appeal is false. He was created to be Luigi's rival since the sport games revolve around competition and a doubles partner for Wario, thats it. That doesnt mean his only appeal comes from that. Thats like saying Peach's only appeal is being a damsel in distress. He has all the qualities of a main Mario character. A simple design, a fun personality, many playable roles and abilities of his own. These reasons arent any different for liking Daisy besides preferences.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well with alot of explaining comes a long post lmao. But fwiw heres the only thing i addressed to you.
oh lol

that was mostly about moveset potential or why he can easily get this or that and whatnot

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Neither is Jigglypuff nor Pichu

He got plenty of moveset material, definitely alot more than Daisy. Waluigi can swim in the air, create tornados, has amazing leg strenght, create purple thorns, use machinery and can teleport. His design alone is material enough for different his own tilts, smash attacks, aerials etc.

A Mario character's importance isnt tied to whether they appear in a main game or not, its about the roles they have. Story wise the main games and spin offs are one and the same. The main games are called that because theyre platformers.

The spin off games sell well enough especially Mario Kart, there was an outcry over his exclusion in mk7, and like i said he got plenty of moveset material to work with. So him being a recurring character in the spin off titles has its merits.

First, Pokemon or FireEmblem series is a totally different case to compare with. They are not known to be about a main cast and cotinuous story for all games. You should use Metroid or Kirby series as the examples as they may have similiar story structure with main characters.

Like said, spinoffs are hardly a standard to figure out why Waluigi can be chosen among the Mario main cast as a rep (especially when many of them have become the Mario reps or reps of other games). All characters have different personalities and distinctives moves within Mario games, and of course they may all fit in Smash fighers. But the point is that Smash bros won't include all main characters from all franchises, and selection is inevitable. We all know all fighers from Zelda and FE's Musō/Warriors titles are capable fighters, but obviously not all of them can be in Smash bros.

It's just naturally comparing how much that character has more to be the main rep. When it comes to Mario main cast, the amount of game appearances and roles is an easy standard. We know spinoffs sell well, but every Mario character pay same effort to make it succeed. There is no way you can tell Waluigi is the one that put most effort among the Mario main cast. Just take what you said, Waluigi's support is due to his popularity as character individual, not his dominant reputation in spinoffs.

I don't think spinoffs precisely tells what kind of character and role Waluigi is inside the Mario universe. Roles need to be closely based on story development, and Super Mario games provide very sufficient things for that. I don't think what Mario, Peach and BowserJr did in their fatured games wouldn't help them to become more important than Waluigi. At least, it's obviously that Nintendo prefer those characters,

As a fan I don't think Waluigi shouldn't get better treat in Mario games, and I don't like the thought of Waluigi doesn't need more spotlightst than what he has now. Cause what he has now cannot really ensure him to earn the same historical status as high as Mario, Bowser or Wario.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

First, Pokemon or FireEmblem series is a totally different case to compare with. They are not known to be about a main cast and cotinuous story for all games. You should use Metroid or Kirby series as the examples as they ma
I already explained why "stories and continuity" shouldnt be held against him.

Story wise the main games and spin offs are one and the same. The main games are called that because theyre platformers.
You think their called main games because it has any continuity outside of the most basic plot of plumber saves princess from the big bad monster?

Like said, spinoffs are hardly a standard to figure out why Waluigi can be chosen among the Mario main cast as a rep (especially when many of them have become the Mario reps or reps of other games).
Here are the parts you conveniently left out

And neither is Daisy, shes more remembered for her spin off appearances then she ever was in her "important" main game debut.
A Mario character's importance isnt tied to whether they appear in a main game or not, its about the roles they have.
So him being a recurring character in the spin off titles has its merits.
Daisy isnt equal to Wario or Rosalina because she also debut in a main game. Wario's role as a boss got him his own line of games and he was immediately part of the Mario cast, Daisy only ripped off Peach's role one time and she rotted in irrelevancy until she was used as a doubles partner for Peach, the same role you give Waluigi flak for. Rosalina's role in Galaxy got her in 3d world and smash with her own trailer, moveset and stage, Daisy's inclusion in smash is as a carbon copy of Peach and her trailer was used as the prime example that echo fighters dont take any time or effort.

Point is that she got her popularity and relevancy from the spin offs. 90% of Daisy fans werent born when her game came around and the 10% definitely werent her fans because of Super Mario Land.
But the point is that Smash bros won't include all main characters from all franchises, and selection is inevitable.
Says who? You might aswell say the same thing to every thread that wants their favorite character in smash. Also point me in the direction the one time Piranha Plant got a role as important as Mario or Peach.

There is no way you can tell Waluigi is the one that put most effort among the Mario main cast. Just take what you said, Waluigi's support is due to his popularity as character individual, not his dominant reputation in spinoffs.
I never said it was all thanks to him. I clearly said that being a recurring character in the spin offs has its merits and not a strike against him.

I don't think spinoffs precisely tells what kind of character and role Waluigi is inside the Mario universe. Roles need to be closely based on story development, and Super Mario games provide very sufficient things for that.
Waluigi wants to be more popular than the Mario bros so he trained hard in the shadows so that he can gain that fame. For that matter since when did backstories matter so much in Mario games?

At least, it's obviously that Nintendo prefer those characters
Heres another part of my comment you conveniently left out
Buddy, i already explained to you why he doesnt appear outside of spin offs, the devs doesnt like working on characters they didnt create. Characters like K Rool and Captain Syrup dont make that many appearences in Mario games as they should.
As a fan I don't think Waluigi shouldn't get better treat in Mario games, and I don't like the thought of Waluigi doesn't need more spotlightst than what he has now. Cause what he has now cannot really ensure him to earn the same historical status as high as Mario, Bowser or Wario.
Stop lying, you chase down youtube comment sections to harass others for wanting Waluigi in smash. You aint slick. Also its hilarious how you wannna make the piss poor argument of "Waluigi has too much spotlight so he shouldnt get any" when that couldnt be further from the truth. Hes the only one of the main Mario characters thats stuck as an assist trophy, a random run of the mill enemy got in over Waluigi and you want to make that argument that he gets too much spotlight? LMAO

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
First, Pokemon or FireEmblem series is a totally different case to compare with. They are not known to be about a main cast and cotinuous story for all games. You should use Metroid or Kirby series as the examples as they may have similiar story structure with main characters.

Like said, spinoffs are hardly a standard to figure out why Waluigi can be chosen among the Mario main cast as a rep (especially when many of them have become the Mario reps or reps of other games). All characters have different personalities and distinctives moves within Mario games, and of course they may all fit in Smash fighers. But the point is that Smash bros won't include all main characters from all franchises, and selection is inevitable. We all know all fighers from Zelda and FE's Musō/Warriors titles are capable fighters, but obviously not all of them can be in Smash bros.

It's just naturally comparing how much that character has more to be the main rep. When it comes to Mario main cast, the amount of game appearances and roles is an easy standard. We know spinoffs sell well, but every Mario character pay same effort to make it succeed. There is no way you can tell Waluigi is the one that put most effort among the Mario main cast. Just take what you said, Waluigi's support is due to his popularity as character individual, not his dominant reputation in spinoffs.

I don't think spinoffs precisely tells what kind of character and role Waluigi is inside the Mario universe. Roles need to be closely based on story development, and Super Mario games provide very sufficient things for that. I don't think what Mario, Peach and BowserJr did in their fatured games wouldn't help them to become more important than Waluigi. At least, it's obviously that Nintendo prefer those characters,

Tbh I really don't understand what your point is.

D

Deleted member

I got some unpopular opinions about Waluigi.

- His down b must be a reflector where he uses his tennis racket. If you cant have a mini tennis match with another character with a reflector, do you really have Waluigi in the game?

- Speaking of his racket that should be his only move revolving sports games, he got plenty of material for a moveset that doesnt revolve around sports.

- His crotch chop shouldn't be in the game. Hes a flamboyant asshole and that crude gesture makes for like 00,01% of his character. Besides the crotch chop is a strikers exclusive thing.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
His down b must be a reflector where he uses his tennis racket. If you cant have a mini tennis match with another character with a reflector, do you really have Waluigi in the game?
Only when Ganondorf can use Tennis Volley

Speaking of his racket that should be his only move revolving sports games, he got plenty of material for a moveset that doesnt revolve around sports.
No one's saying he should be only sports though. There's more to 'spinoff' than Mario sports.

His crotch chop shouldn't be in the game. Hes a flamboyant ******* and that crude gesture makes for like 00,01% of his character. Besides the crotch chop is a strikers exclusive thing.
i disagree but you're right, it won't be in because this is E10+ and no soccer mom is gonna handle some innuendos. i think he should have a lot of dancing orientated into non-special moves. not because "lol quirky", but actual real-life dances that he mimics all the time. he's a fan of jackson and spain i guess.

image.gif

and also DDR but we dont talk about that

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
While I think basing Waluigi’s moveset off of spin-offs would be amazing, I think Sakurai would go the same direction he did with Wario honestly.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
While I think basing Waluigi’s moveset off of spin-offs would be amazing, I think Sakurai would go the same direction he did with Wario honestly.
you mean disregard 90% of the source material and just make some random **** up

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
you mean disregard 90% of the source material and just make some random **** up
Not exactly.

Sakurai’s approach with Wario seemed to be that he wanted Wario’s moveset to be like Mario’s, just with that “Oh yeah! I can do that, and better! Watch this!” type of attitude that Wario has. RelaxAlax’s video on Wario an explain it better than I can though.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Not exactly.

Sakurai’s approach with Wario seemed to be that he wanted Wario’s moveset to be like Mario’s, just with that “Oh yeah! I can do that, and better! Watch this!” type of attitude that Wario has. RelaxAlax’s video on Wario an explain it better than I can though.
You say seem and that makes me not believe you

it either was or it wasnt, game theories do nothing

Top Bottom